• 394,631 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm about to let go of the rope  (Read 7932 times)

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Moderator Supremacist
Re: I'm about to let go of the rope
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 12:59:15 pm »

Nope.  But I am nowhere near feeling I need to make a heart felt post about how I am leaving either.
Did that happen?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 12:59:28 pm »

What is the Standard?

Check post history. 

I did, many times. But hell you wouldn't have been able to argue with me for as long as you did or bring up Zimmerman.

You started down the path of accusing posters of being biased. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 01:00:44 pm »

Did that happen?

Did I misinterpret, "I'm about done."

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2018, 01:00:51 pm »

Did that happen?

You got'em triggered PT. 

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2018, 01:01:56 pm »

You got'em triggered PT.

I assume that if someone posts something, they want to discuss it.  So people who discuss the fact that nearly everything said was wrong is "triggered?"

Do you intend to start calling people "snowflakes" next.

Terrible.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2018, 01:02:53 pm »

Check post history. 

Of course, while stating in this thread and elsewhere before you brought up Zimm that it was reasonable that its time to raise the bar regardless of the transfers. Transfers happen and should have no impact on our expectations. Instead lets wait and see and hope (or for those that want to see mike leave don't hope) that Mike brings in players that can play and contribute. I like winning, I like winning more than I like Anderson. Anderson and his staff (if Zimmerman goes or doesn't go) will be fine, he will find a place to coach again and probably win. But my love and passion for the razorbacks was there before and after Nolan/Mike and whoever else will come. Hell I have full confidence I could help solve a lot of their problems but my high school coaching resume isn't gonna get me in the door lol.

steveaustin69

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2018, 01:05:57 pm »

As I pointed out above, very little of what he said is actually accurate, though.  It's a bunch of subjective thoughts.

It's very, very accurate.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2018, 01:07:29 pm »

It's very, very accurate.

It's very, very much opinion and the little bits that claim to be facts are wrong, as I have pointed out several times already.

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2018, 01:08:31 pm »

The standard around here is to win as many games as we did playing in a conference that was as sorry as the current WCC like Sutton got to do, minus his his multiple first round exits.

Then the standard becomes win the SEC 2 out of 7 years even though we have only won it 3 times and that was during the most successful 5 year run in the history of the program.

Not unreasonable, more like just batcrap crazy.

steveaustin69

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2018, 01:10:23 pm »

Some of you have a bad habit of holding yourselves out as the only ones with any basketball knowledge, as in, anyone who disagrees doesn't have any.  You're wrong about that.

Almost all of what he said is common across all programs (handful of the elite excepted) or just subjective observations that are just opinions.

The fact that we don't get one and done players is wrong.  We had one this year.  The fact that players expected to be stars don't turn out to be is wrong.  We have had multiple All-SEC players, POY candidates, etc.  Just because some players haven't turned out to be stars doesn't mean anything.  That is the case everywhere.  I can't think of a really highly regarded player that didn't live up to his billing.  Portis did, Macon did, Barford did, Gafford did, Kingsley did, who are these supposed "stars" who didn't pan out?  Whitt and Babb left before they had a chance to develop.  BJ Young?  Who are we talking about?

We don't develop talent?  Again, that's an opinion and I don't agree with it.  Kingsley, Qualls, Hannahs, Portis, Gafford, Ky Madden, Coty Clarke, all players off the top of my head who developed greatly while they were here.

You are correct. I don't believe anyone who thinks Mike after these seven years and sixteen years as a head coach is a good coach primed for higher successes knows a lick about basketball. I will admit that.

steveaustin69

« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2018, 01:12:24 pm »

+1000. and don't let the Door hit you on the way out.

I can't believe you used the space bar. Now we just need to work on that shift key.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2018, 01:14:14 pm »

The truth, as I see it, is that the program has not done as well under Anderson as anyone wants.  I've yet to see anyone say they were satisfied with it.

Beyond that, though, what happens is people start saying whatever they can to try to justify why they are so mad.  Even to the point of making things up, which is what you have in this thread.  Anyone who disagrees with them suddenly "LOVES MEDIOCRITY!" or simply "doesn't know basketball."

You can be disappointed with the the results as a whole and still not be jumping up and down wanting a change or trying to trash everything that Anderson has done.

I know that is hard for some to understand, but it is true.  Anderson could be fired tomorrow and I would be amped up for an exciting coaching search.  I wouldn't be the least bit angry. Yet, I see much to defend here, because people go so far over the top to try to attack everything about him.

Breems

• Gold Hogvillian
  • They grow up so fast
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2018, 01:14:28 pm »

I can't believe you used the space bar. Now we just need to work on that shift key.

LoL

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2018, 01:15:06 pm »

I'm not saying there are not threads(to this degree) started by me on Anderson.  I know I doubted what I was seeing in years 2-4 but the Portis era and some nice senior leadership got me to thinking he could have viable sustained success.

But it was fool's gold.  It only showed you his low max out.

What I enjoy most about these threads are two things;
1) Some believe you can't talk about the coach except in glowing terms or you're some kind of antichrist
2) Those that so adamantly are in Mike's corner just cherry pick with their own words any criticism like it's a scab they can cure.

In sum, it's about the totality to here and what you can reasonably expect based on that.

For that, there are many viewpoints.

I'm off to watch the Master's.  You people have a great afternoon.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2018, 01:15:45 pm »

You are correct. I don't believe anyone who thinks Mike after these seven years and sixteen years as a head coach is a good coach primed for higher successes knows a lick about basketball. I will admit that.

You are the prime example of what I talked about below.  You see none of the good, only the bad, and you think that you have some kind of special knowledge.  I'll let you in on a secret:  you don't.  You have nothing more than an opinion and a name from a professional wrestler (not judging, just saying).

steveaustin69

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2018, 01:16:31 pm »

It's very, very much opinion and the little bits that claim to be facts are wrong, as I have pointed out several times already.

Nearly every player you mentioned as developed came in as a touted prospect. Those guys are expected to produce.

Fact: Mike Qualls is the only non top 100 player Mike has gotten out of HS at Arkansas that has been a serious contributor on a good team.

azhog10

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2018, 01:16:44 pm »

I'm not saying there are not threads(to this degree) started by me on Anderson.  I know I doubted what I was seeing

You don't say.......

In terms of cherry picking you literally quoted half a sentence that i posted to comment on......now you are hurt people are doing it to you.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2018, 01:17:06 pm »

1) Some believe you can't talk about the coach except in glowing terms or you're some kind of antichrist
2) Those that so adamantly are in Mike's corner just cherry pick with their own words any criticism like it's a scab they can cure.

Further proof that you only see one side of things.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2018, 01:17:12 pm »

The truth, as I see it, is that the program has not done as well under Anderson as anyone wants. 

Why don't you give your opinion as to why this is? Since you see both sides.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2018, 01:17:32 pm »

I'm not saying there are not threads(to this degree) started by me on Anderson.  I know I doubted what I was seeing in years 2-4 but the Portis era and some nice senior leadership got me to thinking he could have viable sustained success.

But it was fool's gold.  It only showed you his low max out.

In sum, it's about the totality to here and what you can reasonably expect based on that.

For that, there are many viewpoints.

I'm off to watch the Master's.  You people have a great afternoon.
FYI- Tigger is stumbling

azhog10

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2018, 01:19:37 pm »

Check post history. 

When the shoe fits. PT has been outspoken about his discontent for over a year. Now all of a sudden he wants to "come out of the closet" and make this "unbiased" post about how he is losing faith. Like really? Bro we knew this over a year ago, glad for you to come out now.

Breems

• Gold Hogvillian
  • They grow up so fast
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2018, 01:20:23 pm »

The glory days are gone forever.

I still like basketball and watching the Hogs, plus going to the tournament again has been fun. Things haven't been that bad.

Next year is worrisome. I doubt we even make the NIT. Wait for the rebuild year or pull the plug and reset, none of it matters. Glory days are gone.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2018, 01:23:03 pm »

Pfft! I love how people who have admittedly complained since year 2 believe they are "telling it like it is" instead of spreading a long held negative bias.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2018, 01:24:22 pm »

The glory days are gone forever.

I still like basketball and watching the Hogs, plus going to the tournament again has been fun. Things haven't been that bad.

Next year is worrisome. I doubt we even make the NIT. Wait for the rebuild year or pull the plug and reset, none of it matters. Glory days are gone.

Depressing Breems.  We should be at least NIT candidate worthy.  Don't schedule poorly and win close to half of the SEC games.  It takes a lot of failure for us not to be in NCAAT contention let alone NIT. 

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2018, 01:24:40 pm »

Nearly every player you mentioned as developed came in as a touted prospect. Those guys are expected to produce.

Fact: Mike Qualls is the only non top 100 player Mike has had at Arkansas that has been a serious contributor on a good team.

He said players expected to be stars didn't turn out to be stars.  So yeah, that's what I said.  Learn to read.

I'm assuming you have some nonsense reason why you don't count Hannahs.  Or Coty Clarke.  Or Trey Thompson.  Or Anton Beard.  Or Manuale Watkins.  Or Anthlon Bell.  Or Alandise Harris.

Were they stars?  No.  Did they contribute seriously to tournament teams, yes.

MB Hog

« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2018, 01:32:18 pm »

I think just about everyone on this board would be extremely excited about the prospects of next year if Reggie Perry hadn't been nefariously lured away by Miss. State.  The idea of Gafford, Perry, and Henderson would have us salivating over the possibilities.

Well, we have Chaney coming instead, and he looks to be pretty stout himself... and we probably get to have him here more than one year.  He's not Perry, but I'm still excited about him.

Hall leaving has put a huge damper on the offseason.  For the life of me, I can't understand his reasoning for leaving.  But I've also not given up on next season yet.  It's a little early for that.

steveaustin69

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2018, 01:32:33 pm »

He said players expected to be stars didn't turn out to be stars.  So yeah, that's what I said.  Learn to read.

I'm assuming you have some nonsense reason why you don't count Hannahs.  Or Coty Clarke.  Or Trey Thompson.  Or Anton Beard.  Or Manuale Watkins.  Or Anthlon Bell.  Or Alandise Harris

Were they stars?  No.  Did they contribute seriously to tournament teams, yes.

Harris and Hannahs produced at high major programs prior to transferring. They were known commodities.

Coty Clarke: 22 ranked JUCO, in hindsight he probably overachieved. I'll give you Clarke. I made a mistake in my original post; I meant to say players Mike has gotten out of high school.

Thompson: key word: serious contributor. Did develop into a role player.

Manny: key word: serious contributor. Did develop into a role player.

Anton Beard: do I really have to get into this one? His freshman stats are pretty bad, and they really didn't improve at all over his four years.

Anthlon's only good year was on a bad team.

Razorpigg

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2018, 01:34:23 pm »

Excellent post and right on the money. Logical fans with basketball knowledge will find it hard to argue with any of that.

Although I disagree that Mike does recruit one and done talent well, they are just "one-and-done with Mike".

Bo and Dudley were discussing on the radio yesterday and had some great observations. They said there is just something not right with Mike Anderson and his program. They are threading water and fighting so hard every year to get into the tournament, when everyone expected by this point he would have the program in solid Top 25 position.

Mediocre Mike has underachieved at Arkansas as the head basketball coach. No other way to put it. He hasn't done a bad job, he has just underachieved. His nickname of Mediocre Mike is spot on.

As has Idiotic "Ive never missed a chance to spew hatred against our basketball program" Ice... No other way to put it.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2018, 01:34:38 pm »

Why don't you give your opinion as to why this is? Since you see both sides.

This year, I don't think Anderson did a very good job.  I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but this team never came together.  Ultimately, that falls on the coach.  That said, they had a decent seed and many thought they would make a run in the tournament.  They didn't.  I think it is perfectly understandable why people would question the job Anderson did this year.

Last year, I thought they were a Sweet 16/Elite 8 quality team.  People can ignore the circumstances if they want, but catching national champion North Carolina in the second round and getting completely screwed by the refs in the final minute doesn't detract from how good that team was at the end of last year.  I don't see any reason to beef with Anderson over that season.  Almost exact same sentiments for the season the Qualls and Portis team lost to North Carolina.  We had a really good team and got a bad match up in the second round.  We lost in a very tight, very good game with them.

The 16-16 season in between, meh.  We didn't have the players.  That ultimately falls on the head coach, so I understand that sentiment.  I also think it is fair to admit that Qualls leaving was unexpected and was the difference between that being a 16-16 team and a tournament bubble team.

The other years prior to that, I was disappointed with his inability to make the tournament sooner than he did.  We had enough talent to be a low seed tournament at least in some of those seasons and we weren't.  That falls on Anderson, but given the fact that they continued to improve and have turned into a consistent tournament program at this point, I tend to focus on the recent past being more relevant than the less recent past.

I think Anderson has enough next year to be a tournament team and to have a team better than this year's team, even without Hall.  If they aren't, then I will be unhappy with him again, just like I was at the end of this season.  Unlikely that I will be frothing at the mouth, complaining 24/7 and calling for firings every day regardless because I try to have some dignity, inasmuch as that is even possible while posting here.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2018, 01:35:13 pm »

I think just about everyone on this board would be extremely excited about the prospects of next year if Reggie Perry hadn't been nefariously lured away by Miss. State.  The idea of Gafford, Perry, and Henderson would have us salivating over the possibilities.

Well, we have Chaney coming instead, and he looks to be pretty stout himself... and we probably get to have him here more than one year.  He's not Perry, but I'm still excited about him.

Hall leaving has put a huge damper on the offseason.  For the life of me, I can't understand his reasoning for leaving.  But I've also not given up on next season yet.  It's a little early for that.

It wasn't completely up to him.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2018, 01:40:25 pm »

This year, I don't think Anderson did a very good job.  I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but this team never came together.  Ultimately, that falls on the coach.  That said, they had a decent seed and many thought they would make a run in the tournament.  They didn't.  I think it is perfectly understandable why people would question the job Anderson did this year.

Last year, I thought they were a Sweet 16/Elite 8 quality team.  People can ignore the circumstances if they want, but catching national champion North Carolina in the second round and getting completely screwed by the refs in the final minute doesn't detract from how good that team was at the end of last year.  I don't see any reason to beef with Anderson over that season.  Almost exact same sentiments for the season the Qualls and Portis team lost to North Carolina.  We had a really good team and got a bad match up in the second round.  We lost in a very tight, very good game with them.

The 16-16 season in between, meh.  We didn't have the players.  That ultimately falls on the head coach, so I understand that sentiment.  I also think it is fair to admit that Qualls leaving was unexpected and was the difference between that being a 16-16 team and a tournament bubble team.

The other years prior to that, I was disappointed with his inability to make the tournament sooner than he did.  We had enough talent to be a low seed tournament at least in some of those seasons and we weren't.  That falls on Anderson, but given the fact that they continued to improve and have turned into a consistent tournament program at this point, I tend to focus on the recent past being more relevant than the less recent past.

I think Anderson has enough next year to be a tournament team and to have a team better than this year's team, even without Hall.  If they aren't, then I will be unhappy with him again, just like I was at the end of this season.  Unlikely that I will be frothing at the mouth, complaining 24/7 and calling for firings every day regardless because I try to have some dignity, inasmuch as that is even possible while posting here.

So it's okay to be criticial as long as it doesn't go beyond your degree of criticism.  I get it.  Other posters here have the same m.o.

MB Hog

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2018, 01:40:26 pm »

It wasn't completely up to him.
Regardless, if he were going to be here, most people on here would be expecting a good year next year and a deeper tourney run.

niels_boar

• Senior
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2018, 01:41:31 pm »

Some of you have a skewed opinion of how bad things have been around here lately.  At the first hint of adversity during the season you go all drama queen declaring the season over, hoping for an NIT at best, and listing potential candidates for a new coach. Then you are miserable all year and pout as we make a run for an at-large bid in the top half of the draw.  That's happened three of the last four years.

If you think just any coach can get in the top half of the draw that often, here are the programs that have done better by getting in the top half of the draw in all four of the last four years: Arizona, UK, UNC, Villanova, Kansas, Duke, and Virginia.  That's it. 

Now do it with a clean program in Fayetteville, which is further from friggin' Little Rock than Villanova is from Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York.  Does everyone want deeper runs in the tourney?  Of course.  But why does anybody think it's a remedial slam dunk to get Arkansas back to the success of the late 70's and early 90's?  The fertile recruiting grounds of one the least populous states in the nation?  BWA, which was built almost 25 years ago? 

The consistency of Sutton and Nolan was built on generational local or regional talent like Brewer, Moncrief, Mayberry, Day, and Corliss that played three and four years.  Those days are gone.  We are lucky to get two years out of Gafford. If this environment were transplanted to even the 90's, Day, Mayberry, and Corliss as McAAs may all have left after one year before they ever saw a FF.  Corliss would have certainly been one and done in 2018. We also had an advantage in the SWC and the early SEC of having a fan base much more interested in BB than the lion's share of the rest of the conference.  Those days are gone, too.

Could a coach have more success here than CMA?  Sure.  They are out there.  There are a lot more that could have less success.  If you think CMA is doing a terrible job, that's delusional.  Go ask Jay Wright what the number is that could lure him to leave the East Coast to recruit Little Rock for a fan base that wants nothing short of a FF.

steveaustin69

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2018, 01:42:05 pm »

I think Anderson has enough next year to be a tournament team and to have a team better than this year's team, even without Hall.  If they aren't, then I will be unhappy with him again, just like I was at the end of this season. Unlikely that I will be frothing at the mouth, complaining 24/7 and calling for firings every day regardless because I try to have some dignity, inasmuch as that is even possible while posting here.

Will it then in your opinion be time to move on?

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2018, 01:43:46 pm »

Harris and Hannahs produced at high major programs prior to transferring. They were known commodities.

Coty Clarke: 22 ranked JUCO, in hindsight he probably overachieved. I'll give you Clarke.

Thompson: key word: serious contributor. Did develop into a role player.

Manny: key word: serious contributor. Did develop into a role player.

Anton Beard: do I really have to get into this one? His freshman stats are pretty bad, and they really didn't improve at all over his four years.

Anthlon's only good year was on a bad team.

Thompson was a serious contributor last year, particularly at the end of the year.  Shot 62%, had second most blocks on the team and had 56 assists from the center position.

Manny was a key defensive player, was second on the team in rebounding and first in steals and assist/TO ratio.  Started 23 games.  That's a serious contributor.

Anton Beard, despite all the hate given to him here, scored in double figures 15 times last year.  This year, he played 30 minutes per game, started almost every game, averaged 10 points, had 3 steals, had a better than 2-1 assist/TO ratio and shot 74% from the line. 

Anthlon Bell in 2014-15 led the team in 3 pointers.  That is a serious contributor.

You are really, really stretching reality to claim these players were not serious contributors.  Maybe I could see it on Thompson, but not on the others.

azhog10

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2018, 01:45:02 pm »

If you think just any coach can get in the top half of the draw that often, here are the programs that have done better by getting in the top half of the draw in all four of the last four years: Arizona, UK, UNC, Villanova, Kansas, Duke, and Virginia.  That's it. 
a lot more that could have less success.  If you think CMA is doing a terrible job, that's delusional.  Go ask Jay Wright what the number is that could lure him to leave the East Coast to recruit Little Rock for a fan base that wants nothing short of a FF.
Here is about the only facts i've seen in this thread.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2018, 01:48:05 pm »

Will it then in your opinion be time to move on?

That sort of thing, I just really don't get into.  I don't have any control over it.  I don't get the mind set of ranting about wanting the coach fired all the time.

I'm not really attached to any coach.  I usually don't even speak up unless I think people are making poor or dishonest arguments about a coach.  The only coach I really disliked from the beginning was Heath.

I don't care Anderson stays or goes.  I just don't think it will happen as long as we are consistently making the tournament.

daprospecta

« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2018, 01:49:56 pm »

I've never held onto that rope.
Too much evidence prior to 2011 that suggested otherwise. Very lukewarm reaction to his hiring from my part.

Having said that, that doesn't mean the stars may align sometime where we have a great crop of instate recruits who want to be Hogs. Or some other scenario like that.
There very well may be a magical run for a year in the NCAAs where all the balls bounce in the right direction. Sure that could happen.

Anderson has never recruited well enough to build consistent, contending teams. Yes, I know he's not a cheater, but it's not all due to that. He's just not a great recruiter.
I've said this before: we need a hybrid of Heath and Anderson. Heath was a great recruiter(very good, anyway), but wasn't the best coach. Anderson is a better coach, but not a great recruiter.

So at UAB, he recruited a team that went to the sweet 16 and two consecutive tourney appearances afterwards. He then goes to Mizzou and goes to the elite 8 and has two consecutive tourney appearances afterwards and after leaving, his recruits continued to play well. CMA comes here and has us in the tourney the last 3 out of 4 years almost knocking off the eventual champions in 2016. You don't do any of that if you are a poor recruiter.  I can agree with someone who says I thought we would have had a sweet 16 run by now but when you just starting spewing random talk as facts that are false, you instantly lose any credibility.

steveaustin69

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2018, 01:50:35 pm »

Thompson was a serious contributor last year, particularly at the end of the year.  Shot 62%, had second most blocks on the team and had 56 assists from the center position.

Manny was a key defensive player, was second on the team in rebounding and first in steals and assist/TO ratio.  Started 23 games.  That's a serious contributor.

Anton Beard, despite all the hate given to him here, scored in double figures 15 times last year.  This year, he played 30 minutes per game, started almost every game, averaged 10 points, had 3 steals, had a better than 2-1 assist/TO ratio and shot 74% from the line. 

Anthlon Bell in 2014-15 led the team in 3 pointers.  That is a serious contributor.

You are really, really stretching reality to claim these players were not serious contributors.  Maybe I could see it on Thompson, but not on the others.

Your definition of serious contributor and mine are not the same. That is fine.

All but Beard were solid players. Beard's stats are inflated by him being the only option outside of Barford and Macon that could handle the ball (whose fault is that?) I seem to remember us getting back in the Butler game when Hall came in for Beard, and Butler getting back up with Beard on the court.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2018, 01:50:48 pm »

So it's okay to be criticial as long as it doesn't go beyond your degree of criticism.  I get it.  Other posters here have the same m.o.

No, people are free to do what they want.  When they are going so far over the top that it becomes comical, they start getting called on it.  Things are not even close to being as bad as the general tone of this board reflects.

MB Hog

« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2018, 01:51:44 pm »

Some of you have a skewed opinion of how bad things have been around here lately.  At the first hint of adversity during the season you go all drama queen declaring the season over, hoping for an NIT at best, and listing potential candidates for a new coach. Then you are miserable all year and pout as we make a run for an at-large bid in the top half of the draw.  That's happened three of the last four years.

Now do it with a clean program in Fayetteville, which is further from friggin' Little Rock than Villanova is from Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York.  Does everyone want deeper runs in the tourney?  Of course.  But why does anybody think it's a remedial slam dunk to get Arkansas back to the success of the late 70's and early 90's?  The fertile recruiting grounds of one the least populous states in the nation?  BWA, which was built almost 25 years ago? 

The consistency of Sutton and Nolan was built on generational local or regional talent like Brewer, Moncrief, Mayberry, Day, and Corliss that played three and four years.  Those days are gone.  We are lucky to get two years out of Gafford. If this environment were transplanted to even the 90's, Day, Mayberry, and Corliss as McAAs may all have left after one year before they ever saw a FF.  Corliss would have certainly been one and done in 2018. We also had an advantage in the SWC and the early SEC of having a fan base much more interested in BB than the lion's share of the rest of the conference.  Those days are gone, too.

Could a coach have more success here than CMA?  Sure.  They are out there.  There are a lot more that could have less success.  If you think CMA is doing a terrible job, that's delusional.  Go ask Jay Wright what the number is that could lure him to leave the East Coast to recruit Little Rock for a fan base that wants nothing short of a FF.
Terrific post actually based in reality.  Thank you!

We are finally starting to get to the tourney more consistently.  And you can't make waves in the NCAAs if you aren't there in the first place.  I think a lot of people have forgotten how dreadful it was for so many years to rarely even make it there.

I'd love to be as dominant as we were in the first half of the 90s, but around here things just have to come together at the right time.  As long as we are getting to the tourney consistently, we will have seasons where everything clicks and we get to have some new glory days.

Razorpigg

« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2018, 01:53:49 pm »

When the ''real" reasons come out about this particular transfer (Hall), some of you people's comments are going to make YOU (not our coach) look stupid and imcompetent.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2018, 01:54:02 pm »

Your definition of serious contributor and mine are not the same. That is fine.

All but Beard were solid players. Beard's stats are inflated by him being the only option outside of Barford and Macon that could handle the ball (whose fault is that?) I seem to remember us getting back in the Butler game when Hall came in for Beard, and Butler getting back up with Beard on the court.

Nothing went right in the Butler game, so one example there doesn't mean much.  If it does, then remember that Beard had a very solid game against NC last year in the tournament with 10 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists in 20 minutes.

And yes, our definitions apparently are different, but if the team leader in 3s isn't it, or the best defender and team leader in steals isn't it, or the starting PG isn't it, I would suggest that your definition isn't very reasonable.

steveaustin69

« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2018, 01:54:17 pm »

That sort of thing, I just really don't get into.  I don't have any control over it.  I don't get the mind set of ranting about wanting the coach fired all the time.

I'm not really attached to any coach.  I usually don't even speak up unless I think people are making poor or dishonest arguments about a coach.  The only coach I really disliked from the beginning was Heath.

I don't care Anderson stays or goes.  I just don't think it will happen as long as we are consistently making the tournament.

Well, I'll just have to take that as a no. I disagree with that and your overall faux I am unbiased passivity.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2018, 01:54:29 pm »

Have you seen Nova's mistake of an on campus gym?  They are putting $60 million into the 6,000 seat facility to make it tolerable.

Based on recruiting rankings, Nova doesn't consistently outrecruit us.  They don't have total whiffs like 2015 either. 

No.  Our fan base is still much more interested in basketball than most of the SEC.  Times have changed.  Is Mike capable of excelling in this era?

The fall back to we could do so much worse.  Okay.  Fire and hire again. 

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2018, 01:55:59 pm »

The real dilemma is that Mike is a good coach. But he's not a great coach.

He's Bo Pelini. He's kinda like Mark Richt.

What happens when we fire him and get a new guy?

Do we get Nebraska'd and get a stinker, or do we get Kirby?

Getting those stinker coaches already tanked our program once. Mike, to his credit, has added some balance to the program.

But if THE BEST he can do is 2nd round, how long do we let that go on?

I like Mike, but I let go of the rope this year as well.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2018, 01:57:01 pm »

No, people are free to do what they want.  When they are going so far over the top that it becomes comical, they start getting called on it.  Things are not even close to being as bad as the general tone of this board reflects.

So you are here to call people out when you think they have gone over the top.  The tone of this board is extreme but its extreme on both sides. 

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2018, 01:59:06 pm »

Well, I'll just have to take that as a no. I disagree with that and your overall faux I am unbiased passivity.

You can take it as you like.  The hate, hate, hate 24/7 attitude is unhealthy and unproductive, but that is the way some people are.  I prefer to just see what happens rather than wasting my energy on being mad all the time.

azhog10

« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2018, 01:59:33 pm »

Have you seen Nova's mistake of an on campus gym?  They are putting $60 million into the 6,000 seat facility to make it tolerable.

Based on recruiting rankings, Nova doesn't consistently outrecruit us.  They don't have total whiffs like 2015 either. 

No.  Our fan base is still much more interested in basketball than most of the SEC.  Times have changed.  Is Mike capable of excelling in this era?

The fall back to we could do so much worse.  Okay.  Fire and hire again. 
Notice you had no comment for Mike/Arkansas being one of the few that have been in the top half draw 3/4 years......To your other points Nova's facilities aren't outdated compared to their regional competition.

steveaustin69

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2018, 01:59:45 pm »

The real dilemma is that Mike is a good coach. But he's not a great coach.

He's Bo Pelini. He's kinda like Mark Richt.

What happens when we fire him and get a new guy?

Do we get Nebraska'd and get a stinker, or do we get Kirby?

Getting those stinker coaches already tanked our program once. Mike, to his credit, has added some balance to the program.

But if THE BEST he can do is 2nd round, how long do we let that go on?

I like Mike, but I let go of the rope this year as well.

Agree.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas