• 396,453 Topics
• 22,589 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer problem  (Read 4551 times)

#1 STUNNA

Re: Transfer problem
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 12:13:51 pm »

Year is not over, bud.
dont ignore last year lol

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 12:17:30 pm »

Prep schools have taken away from the JC talent pool.  Top programs rarely dip into the jucos.  But we knew this was MA's m.o. as he learned it from Nolan.  Our problem has been why we have gone after jucos as in needing to bridge gaps.  No issue with taking a solid role player like Coty or scorers like Barford and Macon. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 12:17:40 pm »

Had a relative who coached at the high school level that had some leave for other nearby high schools. Could have set off alerts at the AAA to try to stop it but what was the point? If they don't want to be part of the team, it would be worse if they stayed and unhappy.

Can't always blame CMA (and I am a CMA critic) for 18-22 year old's thought process or what other factor$ they base their deci$ion$. We can't assume we know what's best for them.

They no longer want to be Hogs....bye Felicia!

HogsBalls

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2018, 12:18:35 pm »

Saw that on Twitter the other day. Good stuff.

its called parenting...

dont like your HS coach, transfer
dont like your college coach. transfer
dont play enough at a school, transfer
dont like your travel team, jump ship
dont like my role, quit
what are parents teaching their kids???? kids dont fight for anything and wanna quit when things get tough..... it all starts at home....

steveaustin69

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2018, 12:19:11 pm »

You just make up standards and throw them out there.  That said, only 3 of Anderson's signing classes have included JC players.

I can't think of a good and consistent program that's had 5 JUCOs in a 7 year span. Can you?

HognitiveDissonance

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2018, 12:20:00 pm »

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/apr/04/mike-transfer-story/

This article details all the transfers in and out of our program. 

Mike has averaged almost 2 transfers OUT per year...and there may be more to come this offseason.  Why is that?  At some point you have to fix this right?

Of the transfers IN...only Dusty and Alandise ever really did anything for us. 

This article doesn't even mention guys like BJ Young and Marshawn Powell who both fled early with no NBA possibilities.

I believe this will be a huge year for Mike with a new AD who was brought in to make our teams more competitive.
I wouldn't call it a huge problem, as the results have been 'pretty good', but it is a problem.
There's enough evidence here to suggest what these guys may be having issues with.
I think the player rotations are odd if not downright wacky.
Do the best players play the most minutes? Yes. So we're not talking about those guys.

The 'Exhibit A' for 'wacky playing time' was Justin Thomas. I remember a game this year where he played 0 minutes one game, then played 30 minutes the next.   HUH??????
Another example would be Gabe O. He finally gets to play and had some people singing his praises, then disappeared again.
A few years ago the beef seemed to be with Manny Watkins, who was a scrappy competitor but obvious limited offensive skills, getting a lot of minutes while other guys didn't.

You can make arguments on all sides as to why certain guys are playing when they do, I get that. But I do think the source of discontent drives from the seeming lack of sense (on the surface) of where the minutes are going, and having predictable player rotations. Guys find it hard to know where they stand, it seems.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2018, 12:20:54 pm »

Saw that on Twitter the other day. Good stuff.

I know my parents wouldnt let me quit after one season and I will not let my daughter quit after one season.... but i also wont be  a dead beat parent like most of america...

azhog10

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2018, 12:23:36 pm »

I can't think of a good and consistent program that's had 5 JUCOs in a 7 year span. Can you?
Iowa State did with Hoiberg. They had more than 5 in a 3 year span.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2018, 12:27:08 pm »

Had a relative who coached at the high school level that had some leave for other nearby high schools. Could have set off alerts at the AAA to try to stop it but what was the point? If they don't want to be part of the team, it would be worse if they stayed and unhappy.

Can't always blame CMA (and I am a CMA critic) for 18-22 year old's thought process or what other factor$ they base their deci$ion$. We can't assume we know what's best for them.

They no longer want to be Hogs....bye Felicia!

Ah yes, the only reason kid do not want to play for Mike is because they are getting paid. In this case, paid enough to sit out a year and then battle for playing time somewhere else.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2018, 12:27:31 pm »

Like I said, you just make up standards and then try to get other people to disprove them when you don't have any proof to begin with. 

Good programs don't recruit players who like sharks.  Can you name me a good program that does?

azhog10

« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2018, 12:29:12 pm »

Like I said, you just make up standards and then try to get other people to disprove them when you don't have any proof to begin with. 

Good programs don't recruit players who like sharks.  Can you name me a good program that does?
Duke! Coach K hates the movie Jaws and won't recruit a kid that's ever seen the movie.

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2018, 12:29:50 pm »

Isn't it odd that the top (and I mean the Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc. recruits) high school players don't go the JUCO route?
They always seem to be eligible. They don't end up in the JUCO ranks with every big time program salivating for them to become eligible on the D1 level.

steveaustin69

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2018, 12:33:02 pm »

Iowa State did with Hoiberg. They had more than 5 in a 3 year span.

Thanks. It was a legitimate question.

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2018, 12:34:42 pm »

Prep schools have taken away from the JC talent pool.  Top programs rarely dip into the jucos.  But we knew this was MA's m.o. as he learned it from Nolan.  Our problem has been why we have gone after jucos as in needing to bridge gaps.  No issue with taking a solid role player like Coty or scorers like Barford and Macon. 
Disagree, Nolan went juco to supplement what he had in place not to be the backbone of his teams. So Mike IMO learned little from Nolan except how to repeat his cliches.

azhog10

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2018, 12:38:52 pm »

Thanks. It was a legitimate question.
With a legitimate answer. I can find more but ISU was literally the first team that came to mind.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2018, 12:45:49 pm »

Duke! Coach K hates the movie Jaws and won't recruit a kid that's ever seen the movie.

Fair enough.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2018, 12:46:26 pm »

Isn't it odd that the top (and I mean the Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc. recruits) high school players don't go the JUCO route?
They always seem to be eligible. They don't end up in the JUCO ranks with every big time program salivating for them to become eligible on the D1 level.

It's not odd.  When you can pick and choose the players you want at will, you don't have to take many (if any) risks.

azhog10

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2018, 12:51:13 pm »

Of course not and heres why: Kentucky gets one and dones, UNC gets one and dones AND have been known to doctor transcripts or side step rules for kids that would otherwise go the JUCO route so in essence they do sign JUCO kids, Duke gets one and dones AND most JUCO's wouldn't be able to get into Duke......

HoginMemphis

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2018, 12:53:46 pm »

These two were recruiting mistakes. Both role players at best. Would play but never consistently and meaningfully contribute other than as 8th, 9th or 10th player in the game.

On one hand, Anderson hates to see them as his failure. On the other hand, Anderson probably glad to see them go given their lack of talent.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2018, 01:03:13 pm »

These two were recruiting mistakes. Both role players at best. Would play but never consistently and meaningfully contribute other than as 8th, 9th or 10th player in the game.

On one hand, Anderson hates to see them as his failure. On the other hand, Anderson probably glad to see them go given their lack of talent.

I agree that Jones was.  He has had every chance to prove himself as a scoring threat and could only ever prove he was horribly inconsistent. 

311Hog

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2018, 01:11:58 pm »

i always thought Jones can't handle a hostile road crowd.  He can bang home the 3 in bud walton but disappears on the road.

I will miss Hall, he played really hard, but man if he got it in his head that he was being mistreated in favor of "seniors" etc. that is unfortunate.

SONofHAM

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2018, 01:15:36 pm »

Whatever happened to HawgAdvocate?
Just saw him today...doing well.  He's still on cloud 9 with the Philly Super Bowl win.

UNCLE BACK

• Senior
  • You're not a gnat are you bug?
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2018, 01:16:32 pm »

Don't forget Dee Wagner.

steveaustin69

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2018, 01:20:50 pm »

Of course not and heres why: Kentucky gets one and dones, UNC gets one and dones AND have been known to doctor transcripts or side step rules for kids that would otherwise go the JUCO route so in essence they do sign JUCO kids, Duke gets one and dones AND most JUCO's wouldn't be able to get into Duke......

I could not think up these spins if I tried.

azhog10

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2018, 01:21:19 pm »

Just saw him today...doing well.  He's still on cloud 9 with the Philly Super Bowl win.
Miss that guy.....

azhog10

« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2018, 01:21:45 pm »

I could not think up these spins if I tried.
Yeah I had to reach but thought it was pretty funny.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2018, 01:28:44 pm »

Up until recently they could go to prep school with grades and test scores that would that would have disqualified them from being eligible.

Most won't go juco because they can play pro ball somewhere but others are having to go juco now.

BallHog1

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2018, 01:31:36 pm »

its called parenting...

dont like your HS coach, transfer
dont like your college coach. transfer
dont play enough at a school, transfer
dont like your travel team, jump ship
dont like my role, quit
what are parents teaching their kids???? kids dont fight for anything and wanna quit when things get tough..... it all starts at home....
This.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2018, 01:40:03 pm »

its called parenting...

Don't like your spouse, get divorced. Don't like your job, quit. Don't like your debts, declare bankruptcy. Don't like the way your kid is being treated by a coach, yank them off the team or send them to another school.

And you still have to ask where kids are learning these the things you listed?

SONofHAM

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2018, 01:56:16 pm »

I would agree parenting is part of the problem.  But if that's the case, shouldn't Mike be more careful of who he recruits?  Maybe more diligence could be used in determining if a player and his parents are worth recruiting? 

It seems the "Protect Mike" guys are holding on to this "parenting is the problem" notion, but to me, all that does is point the finger back at Mike.  Why did he choose to bring in these particular players if they and their parents are so awful?

311Hog

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2018, 01:58:54 pm »

I would agree parenting is part of the problem.  But if that's the case, shouldn't Mike be more careful of who he recruits?  Maybe more diligence could be used in determining if a player and his parents are worth recruiting? 

It seems the "Protect Mike" guys are holding on to this "parenting is the problem" notion, but to me, all that does is point the finger back at Mike.  Why did he choose to bring in these particular players if they and their parents are so awful?

i don't think those people are "protect Mike" guys they just will take any opportunity to take a shot at today's youth.

#getoffmylawnimold

SONofHAM

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2018, 01:59:52 pm »

i don't think those people are "protect Mike" guys they just will take any opportunity to take a shot at today's youth.

#getoffmylawnimold
haha...you may be right

redhogchilipepper

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2018, 03:52:44 pm »

Care to explain?

As detailed as your post was you could have been the same with you’re percentage. Just ribbing you Stonecold 50 is close enough on a PCSSD test

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2018, 04:37:37 pm »

I know my parents wouldnt let me quit after one season and I will not let my daughter quit after one season.... but i also wont be  a dead beat parent like most of america...

Transferring is not the same as quiting. Have you not ever quit to take a job elsewhere? You going to try to force a college age athlete to not quit. What are you gonna do, take away their inheritance for your late model 4x4 pick up. Good grief.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:04:01 pm by Inhogswetrust »

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2018, 04:59:22 pm »

Transferring is not the same acquiring. Have you not ever quit to take a job elsewhere? You going to try to force a college age athlete to not quit. What are you gonna do, take away their inheritance for your late model 4x4 pick up. Good grief.

maybe he can quit again when the next stop doesnt go his way...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2018, 08:42:02 pm »

Whatever happened to HawgAdvocate?

He transferred.

SONofHAM

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2018, 09:41:40 am »

steveaustin69

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2018, 09:50:57 am »

As detailed as your post was you could have been the same with you’re percentage. Just ribbing you Stonecold 50 is close enough on a PCSSD test

Ha. Fair enough. Thought I had possibly made a mistake.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2018, 11:17:55 am »

For those saying these kids are quitters, Mike quit on UAb and Mizzu, so.........

311Hog

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2018, 11:19:39 am »

For those saying these kids are quitters, Mike quit on UAb and Mizzu, so.........

i quit on this thread.

azhog10

« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2018, 11:59:27 am »

The UofA quit on Mike technically first. Then brought him back. But yes in a world where everything is black and white he quit on UAB and Mizzou.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2018, 12:06:12 pm »

This is stupid. His moving on was equal to taking a promotion. In the sports arena, promotions don't happen within programs. I guess Self is a quitter for taking the Kansas job?

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2018, 12:21:08 pm »

This is stupid. His moving on was equal to taking a promotion. In the sports arena, promotions don't happen within programs. I guess Self is a quitter for taking the Kansas job?

Maybe wherever they go, Hall and Jones see it as a promotion.  I did not even say Mike, or any other coach for that matter, was wrong to do it. I just do not think it is right for people to call Hall or Jones, or any other player that transfers, a quitter.

carolinahogger

• Senior
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2018, 01:14:32 pm »

This one dude on the football team. Said he was getting 6k back. You know what 6k will get you when room, board, food, and clothes are provided??! In Monticello??? Lol.

Get that “knock and them 22s”. And still have money left over for some gold and polo.

He wasn't planning to put any in a Roth IRA?

jm

• Senior
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2018, 01:59:00 pm »

Losing half your recruiting class each year is a recipe for disaster.  Anderson has a problem relaying his message to the players

I suspect that relaying the message is not the problem. They just don't like the message and don't want to be held accountable.

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2018, 03:09:12 pm »

There have already been 376 transfers announced in 2018 in D1, including players from Vanderbilt, OSU, Texas, Wichita State, Syracuse, Louisville, Arizona State, Stanford, Cal, Marquette, South Carolina, Texas Tech, Purdue, North Carolina, Missouri, USC, MSU, West Virginia, Baylor, Oklahoma, Auburn, etc.

This isn't an Arkansas or Mike Anderson problem.

But how many of those were bench riders that would never see the court vs. our guys, one of which was slated to be a starter with a significant jump in minutes

hoglady

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2018, 04:07:15 pm »

I wouldn't call it a huge problem, as the results have been 'pretty good', but it is a problem.
There's enough evidence here to suggest what these guys may be having issues with.
Do the best players play the most minutes? Yes. So we're not talking about those guys.

The 'Exhibit A' for 'wacky playing time' was Justin Thomas. I remember a game this year where he played 0 minutes one game, then played 30 minutes the next.   HUH??????
Another example would be Gabe O. He finally gets to play and had some people singing his praises, then disappeared again.
A few years ago the beef seemed to be with Manny Watkins, who was a scrappy competitor but obvious limited offensive skills, getting a lot of minutes while other guys didn't.

You can make arguments on all sides as to why certain guys are playing when they do, I get that. But I do think the source of discontent drives from the seeming lack of sense (on the surface) of where the minutes are going, and having predictable player rotations. Guys find it hard to know where they stand, it seems.

I'm going to give MA the benefit of the doubt on the game where Thomas played 0 minutes.
With the way things turned out at the end of the year - that very well could have been a disciplinary move.
There are always internal things going on within a team that can affect playing time - and fans are on the outside looking in.

hoglady

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2018, 04:12:33 pm »

Transferring is not the same as quiting. Have you not ever quit to take a job elsewhere? You going to try to force a college age athlete to not quit. What are you gonna do, take away their inheritance for your late model 4x4 pick up. Good grief.

I agree.
A college age kid that has really made a decision to leave a school - most of the time you aren't changing their minds.

Hogimus Prime

• Roll Out
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2018, 04:25:43 pm »

I really believe me playing Watkins like he did is what caused Babb to transfer

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2018, 05:10:46 pm »

But how many of those were bench riders that would never see the court vs. our guys, one of which was slated to be a starter with a significant jump in minutes

I just put a fact out there.  If you want to provide something that shows it is misleading, then be my guest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas