• 394,678 Topics
• 22,261 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer problem  (Read 4170 times)

SONofHAM

Transfer problem
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:35:41 am »

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/apr/04/mike-transfer-story/

This article details all the transfers in and out of our program. 

Mike has averaged almost 2 transfers OUT per year...and there may be more to come this offseason.  Why is that?  At some point you have to fix this right?

Of the transfers IN...only Dusty and Alandise ever really did anything for us. 

This article doesn't even mention guys like BJ Young and Marshawn Powell who both fled early with no NBA possibilities.

I believe this will be a huge year for Mike with a new AD who was brought in to make our teams more competitive. 

AP85

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
Re: Transfer problem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:36:47 am »

The burner is set to boil. You’ll get your wish after this year.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 09:40:12 am »

its called parenting...

dont like your HS coach, transfer
dont like your college coach. transfer
dont play enough at a school, transfer
dont like your travel team, jump ship
dont like my role, quit
what are parents teaching their kids???? kids dont fight for anything and wanna quit when things get tough..... it all starts at home....

daprospecta

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 09:43:02 am »

Mike has averaged almost 2 transfers OUT per year...and there may be more to come this offseason.  Why is that?  At some point you have to fix this right?

This article doesn't even mention guys like BJ Young and Marshawn Powell who both fled early with no NBA possibilities.

I believe this will be a huge year for Mike with a new AD who was brought in to make our teams more competitive. 

Players declare early at another program, no big deal. They do it here, they are fleeing.  Everyone knows Marshawn didn't come back because it was pointless. He wasn't going to improve his draft position. He was already 21-22.  B.J. thought he was better than he was.  With an improved jump shot, he could have had a chance but didn't want to wait.

oldman1015

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 09:43:43 am »

Dumpster fire

steveaustin69

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:44:21 am »

Players declare early at another program, no big deal. They do it here, they are fleeing.  Everyone knows Marshawn didn't come back because it was pointless. He wasn't going to improve his draft position. He was already 21-22.  B.J. thought he was better than he was.  With an improved jump shot, he could have had a chance but didn't want to wait.

Still two transfers out a year.

AP85

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:45:24 am »

its called parenting...

dont like my role, quit
what are parents teaching their kids???? kids dont fight for anything and wanna quit when things get tough..... it all starts at home....

Best post of this whole discussion of hall and jones.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 09:58:41 am »

There have already been 376 transfers announced in 2018 in D1, including players from Vanderbilt, OSU, Texas, Wichita State, Syracuse, Louisville, Arizona State, Stanford, Cal, Marquette, South Carolina, Texas Tech, Purdue, North Carolina, Missouri, USC, MSU, West Virginia, Baylor, Oklahoma, Auburn, etc.

This isn't an Arkansas or Mike Anderson problem.

Lanny

• The1
  • Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The1
    • Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 10:03:41 am »

Losing half your recruiting class each year is a recipe for disaster.  Anderson has a problem relaying his message to the players

steveaustin69

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 10:05:11 am »

There have already been 376 transfers announced in 2018 in D1, including players from Vanderbilt, OSU, Texas, Wichita State, Syracuse, Louisville, Arizona State, Stanford, Cal, Marquette, South Carolina, Texas Tech, Purdue, North Carolina, Missouri, USC, MSU, West Virginia, Baylor, Oklahoma, Auburn, etc.

How many were going to get starter minutes next year? Bet that number is considerably lower.

311Hog

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 10:06:26 am »

microwave society.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 10:11:14 am »

soft, soft world we live in

311Hog

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 10:13:37 am »

the only transfers i support are down to a lower level, if your coach leaves, and graduate transfer.

Transferring just because you want to is shallow.  I know it is old school, but it is getting out of hand.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 10:14:13 am »

How many were going to get starter minutes next year? Bet that number is considerably lower.

Maybe, but unless you want to figure that out, you are just guessing.

steveaustin69

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 10:15:38 am »

Maybe, but unless you want to figure that out, you are just guessing.

Correct. However, I think most would agree it's a pretty safe assumption.

AP85

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 10:17:14 am »

soft, soft world we live in

Plus. Another point some of these white tower gated community types on here don’t understand.

A lot of these kids grow up dirt poor. All they have is their talent. In this case, basketball. These kids have a ton of pressure on them to get to the “league” because they know momma, daddy, step momma, step daddy, granny, pop, “unc” and every tom dick and Harry cousin is sitting back waiting on how they are going to get a peice of that league paycheck.

If this kid indeed goes to Memphis, their coach has a teaching tool that they may think will get them in the league. That’s NBA experience. There is a ton of pressure on these kids to buy momma a house or get granny “that range...”. That may be a big factor here.

Hawg Red

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 10:18:03 am »

steveaustin69, what was your username in a past life? There's no way you only showed up in November.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 10:19:57 am »

Correct. However, I think most would agree it's a pretty safe assumption.

I think it is, but it doesn't change the fact that transfers are extremely common right now in basketball, so I don't think you can entirely fault a coach when it happens.  Players transfer to Arkansas too, such as Dustin Thomas and Jalen Harris.  Harris was a starter as a freshman in New Mexico before transferring to Arkansas.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 10:22:47 am »

Plus. Another point some of these white tower gated community types on here don’t understand.

A lot of these kids grow up dirt poor. All they have is their talent. In this case, basketball. These kids have a ton of pressure on them to get to the “league” because they know momma, daddy, step momma, step daddy, granny, pop, “unc” and every tom dick and Harry cousin is sitting back waiting on how they are going to get a peice of that league paycheck.

If this kid indeed goes to Memphis, their coach has a teaching tool that they may think will get them in the league. That’s NBA experience. There is a ton of pressure on these kids to buy momma a house or get granny “that range...”. That may be a big factor here.

some of these coat tail riders need to realize what NBA talent looks like...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 10:24:48 am »

and it sure seems all these poor college kids have the nicest clothes and pretty nice vehicles....must have got them new Js with that Penny money..lol

steveaustin69

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 10:26:12 am »

steveaustin69, what was your username in a past life? There's no way you only showed up in November.

Ask bphi11ips. He is in the know.

wildturkey8

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 10:28:16 am »

Losing half your recruiting class each year is a recipe for disaster.  Anderson has a problem relaying his message to the players
The real crux of the matter.

azhog10

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 10:31:20 am »

My math sucks 1/4 is 50%......time to give back my engineering degree.

AP85

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 10:31:53 am »

and it sure seems all these poor college kids have the nicest clothes and pretty nice vehicles....must have got them new Js with that Penny money..lol

Schollies man.

Plus the athletes get clothes every day to wear...hoodies...polos....pants.....shoes.....provided to them by the athletic department.

“That refund check” they get from the registar office on refund check day is always nice. I remember athletes standing in line talking about how much much they were getting back for their refund. Shoes, jewelry, them 22’s....another ride...that’s what that refund was going to. Hell that was at UAM. CAN’T imagine the refund checks from scholarships from big school athletic schollies.

azhog10

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 10:32:33 am »

Whatever happened to HawgAdvocate?

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 10:33:05 am »

Schollies man.

Plus the athletes get clothes every day to wear...hoodies...polos....pants.....shoes.....provided to them by the athletic department.

“That refund check” they get from the registar office on refund check day is always nice. I remember athletes standing in line talking about how much much they were getting back for their refund. Shoes, jewelry, them 22’s....another ride...that’s what that refund was going to. Hell that was at UAM. CAN’T imagine the refund checks from scholarships from big school athletic schollies.
GUUUUCCCCIIIIII

AP85

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2018, 10:34:25 am »

GUUUUCCCCIIIIII

This one dude on the football team. Said he was getting 6k back. You know what 6k will get you when room, board, food, and clothes are provided??! In Monticello??? Lol.

Get that “knock and them 22s”. And still have money left over for some gold and polo.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 10:35:52 am »

Anderson has always had an imbalanced team. Either too many seniors or too many freshmen. He has too much movement in and out of the program in addition to recruiting fails...both those he whiffs on and those he gets (be careful what you wish for?). I think Anderson is done at Arkansas. He will last another year or two before the AD and the BOT pulls the plug.

steveaustin69

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 10:46:13 am »

My math sucks 1/4 is 50%......time to give back my engineering degree.

Mike commits out of HS:

1/4
2/3
1/1
1/3
0/3
3/4
2/4

10/22 so ≈ 50%

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 10:47:07 am »

its called parenting...

dont like my role, quit

this

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 10:51:16 am »

used to be the going got tough, the tough get going.

now, it is the going gets tough, they leave.

lots of parenting in this country has gone to he!!

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 11:03:30 am »

2 a year out of your program is a problem

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 11:12:19 am »

Still two transfers out a year.

2 a year out of your program is a problem

Yes but slightly skewed. Five of them were Pel recruits. With any new coach you usually get an abnormally high number of transfers out. That being said it is something to say Hmmmmmm about and is a red flag so to speak. One shouldn’t expect two per year this far into a coaches tenure.

swinesation

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 11:22:04 am »

It's one thing for players like Babb or Whitt to transfer after not getting much playing time, but these two transfers are unprecedented even for MA. Two players who are second and third among returners in minutes played and points scored, both likely to be starters next season. I don't have the time to do the research, but I'm really curious how often this has happened to a major college program not going through a coaching change or NCAA discipline.

The only possible explanation that makes any sense to me (though it still seems ridiculous) is that CJ was influenced by Darious, and that the nail in the coffin for Darious was when Gafford decided to return, thus assuring that he rather than Darious would be the focal point of the team next season. Idiotic reasoning to me, but I could see it as the only possible explanation.

BTW, I don't understand anyone who says they will still support these guys. They are dead to me.

One more thing: anybody who says Darious would have only been a role player next year is a bafoon.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 11:26:15 am »

Mike commits out of HS:

1/4
2/3
1/1
1/3
0/3
3/4
2/4

10/22 so ≈ 50%

You aren't counting transfers. You are fudging numbers.

steveaustin69

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 11:29:50 am »

You aren't counting transfers. You are fudging numbers.

I literally laid the criteria out. HS commits. Don't try to make something out of nothing. Around half of Mike's commits out of high school leave.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 11:33:57 am »

Our roster turnover has been horrendous and it isn't just transfers out.  I do not hold Mike solely responsible for the all of the transfers.  Unreasonable to do so.  It's an issue in college basketball(although a program like Gonzaga is thriving on it). 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 11:44:11 am »

Our roster turnover has been horrendous and it isn't just transfers out.  I do not hold Mike solely responsible for the all of the transfers.  Unreasonable to do so.  It's an issue in college basketball(although a program like Gonzaga is thriving on it). 

To me, it is which players transfer out or leave early. In the case of Whitt and Hall, players that played alot as FR and were set to see even more time as Sophs. Babb, did not play much as a FR, but was coming along and was going to see more PT as a soph.

Wagoner, Jenkins, Hazen leaving was no big deal because they were never going to play anything but mop up minutes.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 11:46:07 am »

To me, it is which players transfer out or leave early. In the case of Whitt and Hall, players that played alot as FR and were set to see even more time as Sophs. Babb, did not play much as a FR, but was coming along and was going to see more PT as a soph.

Wagoner, Jenkins, Hazen leaving was no big deal because they were never going to play anything but mop up minutes.

That was my point.  Whitt grew up with this staff when they were at Mizzou and they couldn't keep him more than 1 season. 

Soooie21

• Hogville.net
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 11:47:11 am »

Players want to play....CJ Jones to me will be the biggest lose of the 2....

jboler96

• Band Nerd
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 11:49:00 am »

People should be able to transfer if you want. It's their life. I mean losing one year of eligibility is alot to suffer from. But I'm still baffled to why darius hall left tho.

redhogchilipepper

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 11:59:09 am »

Mike commits out of HS:

1/4
2/3
1/1
1/3
0/3
3/4
2/4

10/22 so ≈ 50%

Pulaski County Special School District math

steveaustin69

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 12:01:44 pm »

Pulaski County Special School District math

Care to explain?

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 12:08:24 pm »

I literally laid the criteria out. HS commits. Don't try to make something out of nothing. Around half of Mike's commits out of high school leave.

Except the original statement was "half of your recruiting class each year" not "somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% of your high school commits."

Hawg Red

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 12:09:06 pm »

Whatever happened to HawgAdvocate?

;)

steveaustin69

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 12:10:00 pm »

Except the original statement was "half of your recruiting class each year" not "somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% of your high school commits."

Good programs don't go after JUCOs year after year.

azhog10

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2018, 12:10:58 pm »

What JUCO did we sign last year or this year? I'll hang up and wait.

Swinesong1

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2018, 12:11:26 pm »

Oh really?

steveaustin69

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2018, 12:12:29 pm »

What JUCO did we sign last year or this year? I'll hang up and wait.

Year is not over, bud. What happens if Mike's trend continues and forty five percent of these guys transfer at some point? You don't think he'll dip into the JUCO ranks?

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 12:13:48 pm »

You just make up standards and throw them out there.  That said, only 3 of Anderson's signing classes have included JC players.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas