Non Sports Forums > Hunting, Fishing and other Outdoor Sports

My Go To Stump Removal Technique is .......

Pages: (1/1)

HawgWild:

Dynamite doesn't count. I've got 8 or 10 I'm ready to be rid of.

TIA

woodrow hog call:

Hire a stump grinder , or rent one and do it yourself. I have done it both ways, as well as doing the hard way(digging down enough to pull them out), if you don’t have somebody that will give you a deal for doing several, then rent one and do it yourself. How big are they and how long dead ?

HawgWild:

The largest is > 3 feet. Most of them are Ash that have died over the past few years and been cut down. (Thank you Emerald Ash Borer) A couple are Pine and ones a Sweet Gum. I was thinking of oiling them up and burning a bag of charcoal on them. I'm just ready to get them down to yard level so I can mow.

FaytownHog:

Probably paying someone to grind them down or renting the equipment to do so would be the fastest way. If you didn't mind waiting a year or two you could drill some holes down deep in them with a drill bit and get some stump killer and pour down the holes. Make take a year or two to rot away that way though.

HawgWild:

I watched a You Tube video where the guy drilled holes in the stump and applied vegetable oil to it over the course of a few months. He then put a bag of charcoal on it and lit it. That night it rained and put our the coals. Next, he piled up firewood on it and burned it for a few days. I didn't find that video too educational.

Two of the trees were cut down last fall. The rest are 4 years and older.

kodiakisland:

I didn't say this, but an old tire filled with diesel and set on fire placed around each stump will get the job done.

PonderinHog:

Backhoe

woodrow hog call:

If you are around the Fort Smith area I would call South Sebastian Stump Removal, free estimates and discounts for Sr and Military.

I rented a grinder to do five or six last year and it took up most of a day when you add in picking up and returning the machine, I will hire him to do any more I need done.

jrulz83:

--- Quote from: kodiakisland on April 04, 2018, 08:58:17 pm ---I didn't say this, but an old tire filled with diesel and set on fire placed around each stump will get the job done.

--- End quote ---

Captain Planet shed a tear when he read that.

Hogs run wild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCsbZf1_Ng

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7HqiH3WUZM

kodiakisland:

--- Quote from: jrulz83 on April 05, 2018, 09:20:11 am ---Captain Planet shed a tear when he read that.

--- End quote ---

That's why I didn't say it.  But it does work.

woodrow hog call:

--- Quote from: kodiakisland on April 05, 2018, 07:18:58 pm ---That's why I didn't say it.  But it does work.

--- End quote ---

It's been my experience, err I mean, I have heard that it will leave you with a big mess of little steel belt remnants, that can be a pain to get all of them picked up. If you try to bury them they can keep working their way back to the surface for a long time, so I heard.

DeltaBoy:

We just drilled series of holes in them at least 1 foot down, make the stump top look like swiss cheese.  Mix used or new motor oil and diesel together and use about a gallon to two on each stump fill the holes and come back the next day fill them again for 3 days 
Day 4 set a half bag of Charcoal on each one and light it off.  If they are over a foot tall we also stack dry wood around the stump and light it off too.

HawgWild:

That seems to be a popular approach. I don’t have a big a$$ drill to drill that deep.

FaytownHog:

--- Quote from: HawgWild on April 06, 2018, 06:35:37 pm ---That seems to be a popular approach. I don’t have a big a$$ drill to drill that deep.

--- End quote ---
Just have to buy the bit. I don't think you need a special drill or anything.

oldman1015:

--- Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 06, 2018, 10:45:39 am ---We just drilled series of holes in them at least 1 foot down, make the stump top look like swiss cheese.  Mix used or new motor oil and diesel together and use about a gallon to two on each stump fill the holes and come back the next day fill them again for 3 days 
Day 4 set a half bag of Charcoal on each one and light it off.  If they are over a foot tall we also stack dry wood around the stump and light it off too.

--- End quote ---
This is why there are no quail.

howie76:

I'm curious?? How does this harm quail? Never heard that befor

oldman1015:

--- Quote from: howie76 on April 07, 2018, 12:21:56 pm ---I'm curious?? How does this harm quail? Never heard that befor

--- End quote ---
I was joking.

DeltaBoy:

--- Quote from: HawgWild on April 06, 2018, 06:35:37 pm ---That seems to be a popular approach. I don’t have a big a$$ drill to drill that deep.

--- End quote ---

A Quality made 1/2 inch Drill will do it just fine.  You just need a 7/8 to one inch auger bit and take your time.

HawgWild:

--- Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 09, 2018, 01:53:51 pm ---A Quality made 1/2 inch Drill will do it just fine.  You just need a 7/8 to one inch auger bit and take your time.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip Delta.

So, I'm at Lowes looking at drill bits. A store guy walks up and I tell him what I'm wanting to do.

He says, "Know what my Grand dad did? He'd chisel out a groove in the stump and fill it with rock salt. The salt would take all the moisture out of the stump and a year later he'd burn it out. But I'm guessing you don't want to wait that long."

I told him I'd take a drill bit.

I went with a 3/4 inch bit. I wasn't sure how well my Hitachi 18V would handle the larger bits drilling down in the Ash stumps. I can tell you that it'll quickly drain the battery pack.

I'll see if I can't get Wayne to give you an update on his squirrel dog.  ;D

Update: the bit shaft snapped. Guess I’ll be buying more. :'(

Großer Kriegschwein:

--- Quote from: kodiakisland on April 04, 2018, 08:58:17 pm ---I didn't say this, but an old tire filled with diesel and set on fire placed around each stump will get the job done.

--- End quote ---

Only if you want Bawb to be doing raindances outside your property for a week.

twistitup:

bulldozer?

HawgWild:

Another guy told me to place a 55 gallon drum with the bottom cut out over the stump, placed on a couple of bricks to lift it off the ground. The barrel acts as a chimney and helps burn the stump out faster.

theFlyingHog:

I vote for renting a mini ex for the weekend and buying a case of beer.

Or these guys could do it for you. Might be a little cost prohibitive for an individual
http://e3response.com/

radar:

I have been told that those tires they use on dirt track race cars don't have wire in them, free at the track..

Großer Kriegschwein:

Dig out the base and the roots.

Drill multiple 1" holes in the stump and large roots.

Pour old motor oil in the holes. Let sit for a week.

Top holes off with kerosene.

Slide barrel over the stump, fill with wood. Start fire.

Cover the receded stump with dirt.

DeltaBoy:

--- Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 17, 2018, 09:10:02 pm ---Dig out the base and the roots.

Drill multiple 1" holes in the stump and large roots.

Pour old motor oil in the holes. Let sit for a week.

Top holes off with kerosene.

Slide barrel over the stump, fill with wood. Start fire.

Cover the receded stump with dirt.

--- End quote ---

Done that one too. 

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version