• 396,424 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Texarkana Goat.....errr....Golf Ranch golf course  (Read 472 times)

GolfNut57

Texarkana Goat.....errr....Golf Ranch golf course
« on: March 29, 2018, 11:25:46 pm »

Got the chance to play this course today while passing through Texarkana, TX. Overall it is a super nice layout but it has some glaring areas that need a LOT of improvement. Cart paths are #1 on that list. But it does have some holes with gorgeous views. Has anyone else here ever played it? Your opinion of the course?

root_hawg

Re: Texarkana Goat.....errr....Golf Ranch golf course
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 09:26:51 pm »

On my list for this year

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 09:48:34 pm »

It’s a real golf course with a few issues.  By real golf course, I mean it is a big boy course.  I play it a lot.  I played Spyglass this fall and honestly, I felt really comfortable there and played well.  I mentioned that to the pro at the Ranch (who happens to be from that area of Cali) and he said, “That’s because you play out here.”  And he was right.  The elevation changes, the pines, and the setting were very similar.

Like they talk about houses, the course has great “bones”.  It needs paths and better built greens, but the bones are there.  The length and the slope and difficulty are up there with big time courses that people pay a lot of money to play. 

I don’t know if it doesn’t make enough or if Hank Haney just doesn’t want to spend the money, but a couple million dollars would turn that place into a show place.  But he has a 99 year, one dollar a year lease from the city and he pays his worthless stepson $100k a year to “manage” it.  So, for now, it is what it is.

I’ll add that they’ve made a lot of changes from when it first opened that for the most part aren’t that great.  They took out probably at least a third, maybe more if the bunkers and they’ve shrunk the greens.  These were changes made to make it less expensive to maintain and play easier, but they diminish the course a bit.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:59:23 pm by hawgon »

GolfNut57

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 12:49:20 am »

I agree about the layout having great potential. At times the course reminded me of Mystic Creek in El Dorado. The guy at the pro shop told me that the owner chose to use the limited funds for fertilizer instead of the cart paths. He thought that was the higher priority. I would think with it being a Hank Haney course that Haney would not have that much of a money issue AND that he would want EVERYTHING first rate if his name is tied to it.

Might explain some of those late night infomercials by Haney pushing the cheaper type golf equipment and/or accessories.

HognitiveDissonance

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 05:09:49 pm »

Got the chance to play this course today while passing through Texarkana, TX. Overall it is a super nice layout but it has some glaring areas that need a LOT of improvement. Cart paths are #1 on that list. But it does have some holes with gorgeous views. Has anyone else here ever played it? Your opinion of the course?
I remember playing it in June 2009.
(odd tidbit, it was the day Michael Jackson died. Flipping on the radio afterwards, that was all over the news)

I played it because at the time it was Top 25 for public tracks in the state of Texas.

I remember being impressed with it. It had more scenery and undulation than you would expect from a course in Texas. Lots of water.
Difficult course, too.

No idea what shape it's in now.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 06:41:00 pm »

Very few level lies.

GolfNut57

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 06:51:51 pm »

Overall the greens were pretty decent with 1 or 2 exceptions. The big knock on them was you would putt a green or two with decent stimp speed and then just as you had it figured out one would jump up that putted like it was covered in syrup.

The fairways had a few thin spots but the tee boxes were mostly hard pan. Had the ground not been soft from a recent shower I might have needed a impact drill to tee one up.

But as I said originally, the layout itself was awesome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas