• 394,678 Topics
• 22,261 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Basketball Tournament - Arkansas Alumni Team  (Read 6475 times)

kkelley2012

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: The Basketball Tournament - Arkansas Alumni Team
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2018, 10:07:10 am »

Keith,

Couple questions on the team.

1. Do you know why they chose to compete in the NY region?

2. Is the gofundme a common thing for teams to raise money? Why would pro basketball players need funding to go give this  a run?

I know G League salaries are low, but I'm thinking most of these guys can pay their own way for a weekend trip or two. And Ronnie could likely cover anyone who can't.

1. If you look at the dates of the South's 1st two rounds of games, you'll notice the games take place during NBA Summer League. We were thinking ahead of everything else, so we'll have our full team in NY instead of missing Dusty, Jacorey, possibly Moses if we were to play in the South; thought that was an excellent strategy by us.

2. Yes GoFundMe is common for several teams. Challenge ALS (lost in champ game last year) gave me the initial idea when they messaged me last fall with a copy/paste message asking for funds, and I've seen others such like Iona, Louisiana United incorporate it this year as well. TBT covers all housing/traveling expenses beginning after Round 2, so we have to cover flights/hotels to Brooklyn. 13 of us

yraciv

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2018, 12:49:13 pm »

1. If you look at the dates of the South's 1st two rounds of games, you'll notice the games take place during NBA Summer League. We were thinking ahead of everything else, so we'll have our full team in NY instead of missing Dusty, Jacorey, possibly Moses if we were to play in the South; thought that was an excellent strategy by us.

2. Yes GoFundMe is common for several teams. Challenge ALS (lost in champ game last year) gave me the initial idea when they messaged me last fall with a copy/paste message asking for funds, and I've seen others such like Iona, Louisiana United incorporate it this year as well. TBT covers all housing/traveling expenses beginning after Round 2, so we have to cover flights/hotels to Brooklyn. 13 of us

Excellent strategy on #1, as I've seen this happen with teams in the past, but didn't know it was avoidable. Also didn't realize that TBT covers expenses after round 2, so that makes sense why they just go toward Brooklyn.

Not sure I completely agree with the rationale for a gofundme considering these guys travel on their pro teams dime all year. One would think they have some kind of hotel/mile status or something to cover a weekend in New York, even if they aren't a multimillionaire like Ronnie, but then again I know professional athletes aren't always the best with their money.

Either way a weekend trip to New York I don't envision a person needing donations as it is a small expense for a greater prize. But I'll certainly leave the gofundme up on the first page.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

kkelley2012

• Band Nerd
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2018, 01:07:20 pm »

Excellent strategy on #1, as I've seen this happen with teams in the past, but didn't know it was avoidable. Also didn't realize that TBT covers expenses after round 2, so that makes sense why they just go toward Brooklyn.

Not sure I completely agree with the rationale for a gofundme considering these guys travel on their pro teams dime all year. One would think they have some kind of hotel/mile status or something to cover a weekend in New York, even if they aren't a multimillionaire like Ronnie, but then again I know professional athletes aren't always the best with their money.

Either way a weekend trip to New York I don't envision a person needing donations as it is a small expense for a greater prize. But I'll certainly leave the gofundme up on the first page.

80% of winning these games come by having all of the players for each team show up and very seldom do all guys show up. Last year, my team had all the guys make the two games, Kenny Boynton failed to show up in Round 1, we barely won; wouldn't have won if he had made it. It was either NE or Midwest region this year for us to make it with full crew, and we chose to stay away from Jared Sullinger (Scarlet & Gray), Big Ten alum team, and others at least until the final four. A lot don't agree with the gofundme, but we have other events in place to allow fans to meet/interact with our guys. Meet & Greet in LR set for June 23 at Del Frisco's. Thanks for the support!

Champs04

• Varsity
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2018, 10:42:19 am »

I would give a donation to see these guys play together!

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2018, 02:41:59 pm »

I'd give a donation for Rotnei not to play.

kkelley2012

• Band Nerd
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2018, 11:35:49 am »

In addition to our June 23 Little Rock Meet & Greet event, we now have a FREE Meet & Greet just west of Fort Smith June 9th now, players will be on-hand signing autographs, taking pics, etc. Flyer is on our IG/Twitter pages (@TeamArkansasTBT).
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas