• 394,774 Topics
• 22,263 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I saw hogball played in the tournament this year  (Read 1375 times)

pigatron

I saw hogball played in the tournament this year
« on: March 27, 2018, 04:37:49 pm »

and it was by West Virginia. Why can't we play the 40 minutes of hell any more?

checkraiser88

Re: I saw hogball played in the tournament this year
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 04:41:35 pm »

Mike is bringing it back next season, we will be much better defensively!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

WillsWorld

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 05:12:31 pm »

Sure he will  ::)

TNhawgfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:04:40 pm »

I'd like to believe you. I'd also like to think we're going to rebound better and stop leaving wide open 3s due to an abundance of switches.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 06:08:58 pm »

Please no. time to move on. 

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 06:38:43 pm »

I'd like to believe you. I'd also like to think we're going to rebound better and stop leaving wide open 3s due to an abundance of switches.

Funny cause I read an article today about Loyola and how they switched everything defensively against K-St.

But I do understand what youíre saying.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 06:41:26 pm »

I constantly read on threads and from a handful of posters about us not guarding the 3 point shooters.  Maybe we give up a few more than a typical defense does, but I have to say I have seen every team I have watched give up quite a few wide-open 3 point shots in every game I have watched.  This criticism is blown way out of proportion to what occurs in games.  One of the biggest reasons we have given up so many 3 pt shots in the past few years is lack of length in our back-court players.  Even the ones with length have not had a natural ability to use it in many cases.  That lack of length has also been a huge factor in not tipping a lot of passes by defending the lanes like we attempt to do and it hasn't been as much of a factor when we press and pressure.

There is a very fine line between good and great and wins and losses.  AR has been on the winning side far more than not and they have done this without having greater talent in many cases.  Recruiting has made a huge leap the past couple of years and seems to be trending better for the next few years.  Better, longer, skilled, athletic basketball players are going to produce much better results while being able to recover and cover for our scheme issues a larger percentage of the time.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 08:33:43 pm »

I constantly read on threads and from a handful of posters about us not guarding the 3 point shooters.  Maybe we give up a few more than a typical defense does, but I have to say I have seen every team I have watched give up quite a few wide-open 3 point shots in every game I have watched.  This criticism is blown way out of proportion to what occurs in games.  One of the biggest reasons we have given up so many 3 pt shots in the past few years is lack of length in our back-court players.  Even the ones with length have not had a natural ability to use it in many cases.  That lack of length has also been a huge factor in not tipping a lot of passes by defending the lanes like we attempt to do and it hasn't been as much of a factor when we press and pressure.

There is a very fine line between good and great and wins and losses.  AR has been on the winning side far more than not and they have done this without having greater talent in many cases.  Recruiting has made a huge leap the past couple of years and seems to be trending better for the next few years.  Better, longer, skilled, athletic basketball players are going to produce much better results while being able to recover and cover for our scheme issues a larger percentage of the time.
If you had to guess, where do you think Arkansas ranks in Three Point Defense?

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 08:38:16 pm »

Wait....you are expecting a Mike Anderson team to play defense?

Smalltownhog95

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 08:57:02 pm »

I dont beleive in switching but I dont even think wed be bad off switching if we wouldnt be chasing to trap. It drives me crazy to see the opposing team dribbling downhill or at the top of the key and us trying to trap them on the move. Hit em in the corners, hit em in the post, or dont hit em at all.

HogBreath

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 09:01:38 pm »

What did you think of Villanova's "system?  You know, the team that mopped the floor with West Virginia.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 09:17:21 pm »

Next year, just looking at the size and length of athletes we are bringing in, we have the potential to be much, much better at pressing and better overall in defense.  Offensively, at least initially, we will probably take a step back.  However, I think we will round into solid form by conference.  If Garland can play, that puts two top 50 players on the floor and both C.J. and Joe can straight up shoot.  Chemistry will matter a whole lot, but we have raw potential to be a good team.  Might as well focus on the positives at least until we see how it plays out.

Hawgwild15

• Band Nerd
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 12:03:24 am »

Next year, just looking at the size and length of athletes we are bringing in, we have the potential to be much, much better at pressing and better overall in defense.  Offensively, at least initially, we will probably take a step back.  However, I think we will round into solid form by conference.  If Garland can play, that puts two top 50 players on the floor and both C.J. and Joe can straight up shoot.  Chemistry will matter a whole lot, but we have raw potential to be a good team.  Might as well focus on the positives at least until we see how it plays out.

CJ Jones cannot ďstraight up shootĒ heís a terrible all around basketball player. Heís hardly ever ďonĒ and heís a bad defender. If we are depending on CJ being a key factor next year, weíre in trouble.

Hog75

• Band Nerd
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 04:38:11 am »

If you had to guess, where do you think Arkansas ranks in Three Point Defense?

NCAA stats through games of last weekend Hogs are 230th in 3 pt fg defense at 35.7 percent which is 12th among SEC teams.  For perspective Kentucky is #4 and Tennessee #23 at 30.1 and 31.8 which is a difference of about 1 made 3 pointer per game.  Number of threes opponents average taking against Hogs and Kentucky pretty close at around 25.  Opponents averaged taking about 20 threes against Tennessee.  Donít know if best perspective is looking at entire season.  When the pressure was on our numbers were a bit worse.  But maybe that can be said about anybody.  Also, when our opponent is hitting threes at plus 20% efficiency (Butler game we were 22% and Tennessee game we were at 40 but they were 65) you sure get the feeling that you have no defense at all.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 04:59:28 am »

I heard a stat this past weekend of something like teams winning the free throw made and rebound stats are almost winning at a 100% clip in the tourney.  We failed at those two things pretty bad this year.

We can window dress the defense all we want, but if we canít guard without putting guys to the line and cleaning up some misses, it doesnít matter if we press or zone

HF#1

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 08:41:24 am »

Javon Carter reminds me of Cory Beck but with more offensive ability.

steveaustin69

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 08:44:04 am »

I heard a stat this past weekend of something like teams winning the free throw made and rebound stats are almost winning at a 100% clip in the tourney.  We failed at those two things pretty bad this year.

We can window dress the defense all we want, but if we canít guard without putting guys to the line and cleaning up some misses, it doesnít matter if we press or zone

Mike's teams have fouled a lot and rebounded poorly for the majority of his 16 year career. I don't see that changing.

HF#1

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 08:47:17 am »

Mike's teams have fouled a lot and rebounded poorly for the majority of his 16 year career. I don't see that changing.

Neither do I. I see it getting worse before it gets better.

steveaustin69

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 08:47:54 am »

226th in the nation in 3pt % defense

12th in conference during conference games in 3pt% defense

It's not blown out of proportion at all.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 08:48:27 am »

This was discussed in another thread earlier this week. WVU presses to create turnovers and cause havoc. Arkansas presses simply to speed up the tempo ( Mike has said that several times ). The problem there is the game has already been sped up by reducing the shot clock to 30 seconds, and the proliferation of the 3 pt shot in transition/early in a possession. And WVU has foul problems many times too. Ball handling is too good on most teams, especially p5 teams, for a press to really cause enough turnovers to off set the fouls and open looks pressing gives up.

raz1965

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 08:59:53 am »

This wide open 3 point gripe is kinda old, seen ever team in tourney leave 3 point shots open plenty of times.  The way the game is played it happens to the best. Some times they go down sometimes they don't.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 09:24:17 am »

This wide open 3 point gripe is kinda old, seen ever team in tourney leave 3 point shots open plenty of times.  The way the game is played it happens to the best. Some times they go down sometimes they don't.

Ah, the old " everyone else does it " excuse. The Hogs ranked in the 230's in 3pt defense, and that paired with how poorly they rebound is a really bad combination.

But let me ask it another way: What benefits did you see from the times the Hogs did press full court and/or trap in the half court?

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Mike Anderson aka Houston Nutt 2.0
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 09:27:04 am »

We don't have that coach anymore

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 10:52:09 am »

The Hogs were 116th in overall FG % defense and 226th in 3 point FG % defense, and your rebuttal is "sometimes they go down and sometimes they don't"?? That's like the football team not caring that they gave up 36.2 points per game (115th in the nation) because hey, everybody gives up touchdown in today's game.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 11:00:59 am »

NCAA stats through games of last weekend Hogs are 230th in 3 pt fg defense at 35.7 percent which is 12th among SEC teams.  For perspective Kentucky is #4 and Tennessee #23 at 30.1 and 31.8 which is a difference of about 1 made 3 pointer per game.  Number of threes opponents average taking against Hogs and Kentucky pretty close at around 25.  Opponents averaged taking about 20 threes against Tennessee.  Donít know if best perspective is looking at entire season.  When the pressure was on our numbers were a bit worse.  But maybe that can be said about anybody.  Also, when our opponent is hitting threes at plus 20% efficiency (Butler game we were 22% and Tennessee game we were at 40 but they were 65) you sure get the feeling that you have no defense at all.
Thanks, but I knew where we ranked, just asking the poster who claimed that it happens to every team he/she watches.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 11:17:54 am »

Thanks, but I knew where we ranked, just asking the poster who claimed that it happens to every team he/she watches.

I know this, at least  a dozen times a year the Hogs just out of terribly bad luck, wink wink, hear the announcers talking about how the opponent just can't miss.  I'll buy that is going to happen a couple times a season, but not a dozen, and not season after season.

Cotton

• Hogvillian
  • Effin A, Cotton!
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 11:41:57 am »

Yeah, and your girlfriend swears this was the last time...

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

• Varsity
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 11:50:29 am »

I know this, at least  a dozen times a year the Hogs just out of terribly bad luck, wink wink, hear the announcers talking about how the opponent just can't miss.  I'll buy that is going to happen a couple times a season, but not a dozen, and not season after season.

The thing is, Iíve watched the Razorbacks play and other teams play. We donít give up an abundance of wide open threes

raz1965

• Varsity
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 11:56:07 am »

Well let me put this way, I watched Kansas play duke an had Kansas hit all there wide open 3's would have blown duke out, Michigan shot 31 3 point shots against Florida St an most were wide open an only 4 went down. So yes other teams leave shooters wide open, my eyes don't lie.  Arkansas needs to improve, an players are the answer to that, but regardless of who is coaching you will see plenty of wide open 3's, happens to the best coaches.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 12:23:53 pm »

I bet we rebound better next year.  Free throws is beyond me

steveaustin69

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 01:02:30 pm »

Well let me put this way, I watched Kansas play duke an had Kansas hit all there wide open 3's would have blown duke out, Michigan shot 31 3 point shots against Florida St an most were wide open an only 4 went down. So yes other teams leave shooters wide open, my eyes don't lie.  Arkansas needs to improve, an players are the answer to that, but regardless of who is coaching you will see plenty of wide open 3's, happens to the best coaches.

Dismissing a season's worth of stats and relying on one game sample sizes of anecdotal evidence. You seem bright.

Michigan also shot 22 3s against FSU; you make it awfully difficult to take you and your take seriously.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 01:30:34 pm »

The thing is, Iíve watched the Razorbacks play and other teams play. We donít give up an abundance of wide open threes

You have got to be joking. You actually watched them play and don't think they give many wide open 3's? Your definition of wide open and what is really wide open must be different.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas