• 9,887,561 Posts
• 398,314 Topics
• 22,810 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long, athletic guards on our roster next year  (Read 2198 times)

swinesation

Long, athletic guards on our roster next year
« on: March 26, 2018, 01:23:55 pm »

I agree with those who say long, athletic guards - guys with quickness and the ability to shoot the three as well as defend - are the key to success in college basketball. I hear a lot of people saying our future is bright because those kind of guys are plentiful on our roster next year. I wish it was true. Yes, we'll have some taller guards, and some quick guys who can dribble and shoot the three. But guys who have it all??

Jalen Harris - 6-2 - Super quick
CJ Jones - 6-5 - Tall and can shoot, but lacks quickness and ball skills
Darious Hall - 6-6 - More of a small forward, not a ball handler (ever) or shooter (yet)
Desi Sills - 6-1 - Love the kid, super quick, but obviously on the short side
Keyshawn Embry - 6-3 - May bring a lot to the table, but obviously not especially long
Isaiah Joe - 6-4 - May be the closest to fitting the description of a "long, athletic guard," but 6'4 is not exceptional length
Jordan Phillips - 6-6 - Maybe. I see him more like Hall, more of a small forward type, but I could be wrong. I will say, though, that any body counting on Jordan Phillips to be a key player for us next year is speculating big time.

Khalil Garland - 6-6 - BINGO. This is the only guy who clearly fits the description of long, athletic guards who are excellent with the ball in their hands and can shoot the three. Unfortunately, he's unlikely to play next year. Here's hoping he is able to!

I'm not trying to be negative. I had the same thoughts about next year's roster as well. But a closer look told me we're not actually going to put these kind of guards on the floor next year. Mostly, they are one or the other. I'm not saying some of these guys won't be great college players. I believe they will. But the only guard I see on the roster next year who has it all is a question mark.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
Re: Long, athletic guards on our roster next year
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 01:45:11 pm »

I could be wrong, but I think the thought is our guard rotation will be taller and perhaps more athletic, which could translate into better defense.  I don't know where the scoring is coming from, though... maybe Bailey makes a Jacorey Williams-like transition at the 3/4 spot.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 01:58:32 pm »

could go 6'5, 6'5, 6'6, 6'8, 6'10 next year if 2 players return. Thats pretty long..lol

ShadowHawg

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 03:09:15 pm »

You are confusing height with length.

The NBA now looks at factors with height. How long is a guy's neck? How long are his arms, legs?

Joe is absolutely a long, rangy guy who plays taller than his height. Jones is long, Hall is long. So is Embery for his height.

This season we were playing primarily with 2 guards who were closer to 6'2" and average in length in proportion to their frames. We will be much more rangy in the backcourt next season, and really all down the roster.

swinesation

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:45:35 pm »

could go 6'5, 6'5, 6'6, 6'8, 6'10 next year if 2 players return. Thats pretty long..lol
Can you please name the 6'5, 6'5, and 6'6 guards who could start for us next year?

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 06:45:54 pm »

Can you please name the 6'5, 6'5, and 6'6 guards who could start for us next year?
only way that could be is if it goes Joe/Phillips/Hall/Chaney/Gafford and that would be 6’4, 6’6, 6’6, 6’8, 6’10

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 06:51:51 pm »

Jones is 6'5". Hall 6'6".  Garland 6'6".

k.c.hawg

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 06:56:05 pm »

What worries me is the guy from the G League that collapsed and died. "If it is a heart issue" of any kind, considering the caution this year, if Garland is at all at risk, I expect he will never play. I will not pencil him into any line up. I hope that young man lives a long, healthy, productive life and if basketball puts him at risk I hope they make the best decision for him.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 07:01:04 pm »

You are confusing height with length.

The NBA now looks at factors with height. How long is a guy's neck? How long are his arms, legs?

Joe is absolutely a long, rangy guy who plays taller than his height. Jones is long, Hall is long. So is Embery for his height.

This season we were playing primarily with 2 guards who were closer to 6'2" and average in length in proportion to their frames. We will be much more rangy in the backcourt next season, and really all down the roster.

Solid info. It's about the reach as much as the height. Joe is more skilled than any guard I have seen play in person. He's going to make a huge impact. Especially with Gafford coming back. I just want a power forward to play opposite of Gafford that makes teams pay the price when they attack Gafford. Dunks and putbacks.

zenchow

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 07:37:34 pm »

Solid info. It's about the reach as much as the height. Joe is more skilled than any guard I have seen play in person. He's going to make a huge impact. Especially with Gafford coming back. I just want a power forward to play opposite of Gafford that makes teams pay the price when they attack Gafford. Dunks and putbacks.
Reggie Chaney is your man then...a very skilled and strong player

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 08:05:49 pm »

Could go
Garland
Joe/ Jones
Hall
Chaney
Gafford

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 08:20:34 pm »

Sure looks great in the video we are going to be so much fun to watch!
Much more athletic and fun to watch. I pray that Garland can join this team and play only if it's safe though.

We will make the tourney  next season I am shocked Gafford came back. Happy happy happy.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 08:21:19 pm »

I agree with those who say long, athletic guards - guys with quickness and the ability to shoot the three as well as defend - are the key to success in college basketball. I hear a lot of people saying our future is bright because those kind of guys are plentiful on our roster next year. I wish it was true. Yes, we'll have some taller guards, and some quick guys who can dribble and shoot the three. But guys who have it all??

Jalen Harris - 6-2 - Super quick
CJ Jones - 6-5 - Tall and can shoot, but lacks quickness and ball skills
Darious Hall - 6-6 - More of a small forward, not a ball handler (ever) or shooter (yet)
Desi Sills - 6-1 - Love the kid, super quick, but obviously on the short side
Keyshawn Embry - 6-3 - May bring a lot to the table, but obviously not especially long
Isaiah Joe - 6-4 - May be the closest to fitting the description of a "long, athletic guard," but 6'4 is not exceptional length
Jordan Phillips - 6-6 - Maybe. I see him more like Hall, more of a small forward type, but I could be wrong. I will say, though, that any body counting on Jordan Phillips to be a key player for us next year is speculating big time.

Khalil Garland - 6-6 - BINGO. This is the only guy who clearly fits the description of long, athletic guards who are excellent with the ball in their hands and can shoot the three. Unfortunately, he's unlikely to play next year. Here's hoping he is able to!

I'm not trying to be negative. I had the same thoughts about next year's roster as well. But a closer look told me we're not actually going to put these kind of guards on the floor next year. Mostly, they are one or the other. I'm not saying some of these guys won't be great college players. I believe they will. But the only guard I see on the roster next year who has it all is a question mark.

Man awesome post. Thanks for the work guy. WPS!!

nwahogfan1

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 07:43:15 am »

I see more steals and our defense forcing more TOs especially against the weaker teams but will they be physical and solid fundamentally ????  If not they will be inconsistent and we will lose some games we shouldn't. That is what I hate. I hate Losing a home game to LSU because we give up 80+.  I love offense but I know winning conference and NCAA titles is bringing consistent defensive toughness(both mentally and physically) and team fundamentals. Running up 100 points on a garbage team then getting beat in the SEC by a big underdog stinks.  Mike has won ZERO conference or NCAA titles.  Until he wins a trophy for one of those he us just another average coach.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 07:52:53 am »

will these guards give more effort on defense, than last year's guards. if so, then hogs have a chance to be a better team

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 07:57:57 am »

Can Chaney play 10-15 feet from the goal?  Or his he a post player similar to Williamson?  You have to think Gafford will be around the rim, so we need the 4 that plays that mid range game. 

cram224

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 08:14:44 am »

CMA has shown that he doesn't like to play his two best big guys at the same time. If Chaney plays in the paint like everybody says, I could see him being the back up to Gafford.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 08:18:58 am »

What worries me is the guy from the G League that collapsed and died. "If it is a heart issue" of any kind, considering the caution this year, if Garland is at all at risk, I expect he will never play. I will not pencil him into any line up. I hope that young man lives a long, healthy, productive life and if basketball puts him at risk I hope they make the best decision for him.

When I saw this story, I immediately thought of Garland. There better not be any doubt before they put him on the floor. That picture of Upshaw was horrifying.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 08:22:40 am »

Can Chaney play 10-15 feet from the goal?  Or his he a post player similar to Williamson?  You have to think Gafford will be around the rim, so we need the 4 that plays that mid range game. 

There are quite a few videos on YouTube of Chaney. He is a very versatile forward. If he is 12 feet from the basket, he is most likely going to attack his man off the dribble. Think of a Marshawn Powell or Grant Williams type. Hate to compare anyone to Corliss because many will freak out, but I can see some similarities in their style of play (not their level of play).

He and Gafford will actually compliment each other very well.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 08:32:31 am »

CMA has shown that he doesn't like to play his two best big guys at the same time. If Chaney plays in the paint like everybody says, I could see him being the back up to Gafford.

Chaney is a 4 and not a 5.  He is listed as 6'8 but he looks shorter but fortunately he plays taller.  We finally have a true 4 so why in the world would a good coach not play them together?  Maybe because a bad coach doesn't sign a back up center.  Why?

Remember when Nolan had his best teams he had 2 big men on the floor together. Many times One was a high post who could shoot the 3 and extend the defense.  Maybe now that Gafford is coming back and if we have a scholarship we can bring in a shooting high post.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 08:38:07 am »

Chaney is a 4 and not a 5.  He is listed as 6'8 but he looks shorter but fortunately he plays taller.  We finally have a true 4 so why in the world would a good coach not play them together?  Maybe because a bad coach doesn't sign a back up center.  Why?

Remember when Nolan had his best teams he had 2 big men on the floor together. Many times One was a high post who could shoot the 3 and extend the defense.  Maybe now that Gafford is coming back and if we have a scholarship we can bring in a shooting high post.

One reason Chaney may look shorter is because the Centers on his team are 7'2" and 7'3".

I agree, we will likely see Chaney and Gafford on the floor together when it matters most. Henderson will pair with Bailey or Osabuohien off the bench. Hall will be the SF in that unit with Chaney and Gafford, giving us a front line of 6'6", 6'8", and 6'11"....and all elite athletes. Something Mike has not had at Arkansas at the same time.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 11:08:47 am »

No I remember a 6’8” Stewart and a 6’6” Corliss being pretty dang good on the court together.

311Hog

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 11:59:51 am »

with the return of Gafford i think  Chaney is my new favorite player to watch.  As mentioned in a previous post i like to compare Gafford to Marcus Camby, Camby had Lou Roe man it would be cool to even approach that level of 4/5 play.

niels_boar

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 12:01:54 pm »

Hall shot 40% from the arc on limited attempts.  By the end of the season I thought he should take open treys.  He has good form on his shot.  I wouldn't count him out as a shooter down the road, even next year.  His ballhandling was a liability to start the season.  He significantly reduced his TOs in conference.  He's a long way from being a creator, but he's proving to be coachable, heady, and I'm guessing a hard worker.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 08:25:20 pm »

From the highlights Chaney handles the ball very well and is able to dribble and attack the basket.

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 08:37:08 pm »

Some of these guys were not very impressive this year in high school.

Razorback_Mack

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 08:43:55 pm »

Some of these guys were not very impressive this year in high school.
That doesn’t always equate to college basketball. Gafford wasn’t even the best player on his high school team. Watch ball more, post less.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 08:49:35 pm »

Hall shot 40% from the arc on limited attempts.  By the end of the season I thought he should take open treys.  He has good form on his shot.  I wouldn't count him out as a shooter down the road, even next year.  His ballhandling was a liability to start the season.  He significantly reduced his TOs in conference.  He's a long way from being a creator, but he's proving to be coachable, heady, and I'm guessing a hard worker.

Well said. I see him as an All SEC caliber player down the road, maybe not as a sophomore but I wouldn't rule that out.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 08:54:04 pm »

Jones is 6'5". Hall 6'6".  Garland 6'6".

Hall is 6'7 next time you see them (Hall & Garland) standing next to each other you will notice.

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 10:02:37 pm »

That doesn’t always equate to college basketball. Gafford wasn’t even the best player on his high school team. Watch ball more, post less.
Keep hearing that...but then we are mediocre every year and I end up being right.

mhuff

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 10:35:17 pm »

One reason Chaney may look shorter is because the Centers on his team are 7'2" and 7'3".

I agree, we will likely see Chaney and Gafford on the floor together when it matters most. Henderson will pair with Bailey or Osabuohien off the bench. Hall will be the SF in that unit with Chaney and Gafford, giving us a front line of 6'6", 6'8", and 6'11"....and all elite athletes. Something Mike has not had at Arkansas at the same time.

I believe I read that Chaney was developing a 3p shot

Expect Phillips to get plenty of playing time especially by conference time. Also, I think he will be in the lineup because of his offensive ability and his defensive ability at any of four positions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas