• 395,575 Topics
• 22,319 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This one doesn't mean much - we're in the tournament  (Read 2265 times)

Skandar Jackson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • He's learning japanese & getting pretty good at it
This one doesn't mean much - we're in the tournament
« on: March 09, 2018, 11:35:34 am »

I hope we win but if we don't I'm okay with us going home and being fresh for the selection Sunday festivities and getting ready for next week.

Win or lose we are going to get a decent seeding in the tournament.  That's all that matters at this point.

Mike has built this team to be ready for the end of the season.  He's done a good job this year getting them to peak at the right time.

KlubhouseKonnected

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
Re: This one doesn't mean much - we're in the tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 11:40:44 am »

I hate how we match up with Florida personnel wise but I am hoping to see the Hogs get over.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

BallHog1

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:48:48 am »

I hope we win but if we don't I'm okay with us going home and being fresh for the selection Sunday festivities and getting ready for next week.

Win or lose we are going to get a decent seeding in the tournament.  That's all that matters at this point.

Mike has built this team to be ready for the end of the season.  He's done a good job this year getting them to peak at the right time.

Seems like FCJ was trying to tell you this a month ago..

BigBrandonAllenFan

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:51:21 am »

I want us to kick the ever loving **** out of Florida.

forrest city joe

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 11:56:44 am »

Seems like FCJ was trying to tell you this a month ago..
Not just him. i tried to tell them to let the season play out.after the 21 point home loss to Lsu,there were folks who wanted Mike fired yet again.im sick and tired of this crap every year.after almost every loss it's fire Mike Anderson.and here we are again.back in the dance with 22 wins.I LOVE IT!

BallHog1

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:11:37 pm »

Not just him. i tried to tell them to let the season play out.after the 21 point home loss to Lsu,there were folks who wanted Mike fired yet again.im sick and tired of this crap every year.after almost every loss it's fire Mike Anderson.and here we are again.back in the dance with 22 wins.I LOVE IT!
You were right again Joe. Some fans just don't have the fortitude to stick with Mike through the good and bad. Takes guts to stay the course.

rljjr

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 12:11:41 pm »

If we're peaking at the right time we should win the tourney. These players have never won a tournament championship. I hope it means something to them to do their best to win it. I think that would mean a lot to them in the years that follow. Even if they play Sunday they get 3/4 days rest before the tourney starts. That would mean we got the Florida monkey off our backs, and that would be huge. Just win.

BTW, I won't be hugely upset if we lose, but winning breeds winning.

Corkscrew Johnson

• Hey Houston, hold onto my rope!!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 12:15:48 pm »

Well, it depends on how much better you want to make your odds for an NCAA run.  If we beat Florida, can we lock down a 6?  I think we would definitely be in the conversation. If we lose, we seem to be squarely in the 7 seed range. And for our path to the Sweet 16: the quality of 2 vs. 3 seeds drops off fairly steeply (for our 2nd round matchup), you are going from Duke/UNC caliber to Auburn/Tennessee caliber. 

Skandar Jackson

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 12:25:00 pm »

Joe I love it too.  Guys like me and you have been beating the drum for Mike all year...and the dummies just don't see it.  They just don't see it.

GoHogzzGo

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 12:28:56 pm »

I hope we win this one to capture a sixth seed. Then lose the next game to save our legs for the tourney. Four games in four days would be too much even for these guys.

Obviously I expect the kids to always try their best regardless.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 12:39:16 pm »

This times infinity 😡

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 12:41:53 pm »

Thinking back to the 93-94 season, I remember we were steam rolling most the teams we played.  Our first game into conference we drop to Alabama.  The disappointment was immense.

Two games later we drop to Mississippi State, and it felt like the basketball world had come crashing down on us.

In the grand scheme of things, we all knew we still had a great team, we knew that we were a high seed in the tournament and that it was still going to be a great season.  But the disappointment from the losses were still immense because we went into every game EXPECTING to win.

Fast forward 24 years, and our fanbase talks about losses not mattering, and even hoping to drop games "to save legs."

It just says a lot to me about the state of the program right now when these types of conversations are more prevalent than talking about deep tourney runs and wanting to put hardware in the trophy case.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 12:45:32 pm »

Thinking back to the 93-94 season, I remember we were steam rolling most the teams we played.  Our first game into conference we drop to Alabama.  The disappointment was immense.

Two games later we drop to Mississippi State, and it felt like the basketball world had come crashing down on us.

In the grand scheme of things, we all knew we still had a great team, we knew that we were a high seed in the tournament and that it was still going to be a great season.  But the disappointment from the losses were still immense because we went into every game EXPECTING to win.

Fast forward 24 years, and our fanbase talks about losses not mattering, and even hoping to drop games "to save legs."

It just says a lot to me about the state of the program right now when these types of conversations are more prevalent than talking about deep tourney runs and wanting to put hardware in the trophy case.

If you read this board, not much has changed in 24 years. People still immensely disappointed lol

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 12:48:28 pm »

If you read this board, not much has changed in 24 years. People still immensely disappointed lol

Appears my point completely flew over your head.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 12:51:59 pm »

I would love to watch the Hogs beat the hell out of Florida tonight and probably work themselves into a 6 seed but I won't be upset if we don't win. We don't match up very well with Florida IMO. Just go out and play hard and have fun.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 12:54:34 pm »

Appears my point completely flew over your head.

LOL nah I was just havin a little fun my man.

Gonzo

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 01:10:07 pm »

While not totally in agreement, I understand the 4 games/4 days/fresh legs argument. I would like to see them get at least one more tonight though, both for seeding purposes and to foster a little tourney momentum more than one and done.

Go Hogs!

steveaustin69

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 01:11:12 pm »

I'll go as far as to say I wish we would lose the first game of the sec tournament and get back home and start practicing for the big tournament.  We need rest.  We don't need  to goof around in st. Louis all week and miss class and get tired from traveling and then go lay a big fat egg the next week.

hobhog

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 01:11:37 pm »

I thnk we should lose tonight, lay down first game of NCAA so we can be fresh for next year.

steveaustin69

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 01:14:23 pm »

I thnk we should lose tonight, lay down first game of NCAA so we can be fresh for next year.

Gotta stay one step ahead of your opponent.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 01:17:32 pm »

Means a 6 seed and a possible site close to arkansas...it means loads.  Making the tourney is done...know lets play for seeding and hardware.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 01:26:48 pm »

Maybe we could just cede the 2018-19 season so we could roll right into 2019-20.

rhames

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 01:29:22 pm »

Means a 6 seed and a possible site close to arkansas...it means loads.  Making the tourney is done...know lets play for seeding and hardware.

I want to win, but I'm not sure it even means that.

Gonzo

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 01:35:29 pm »

Maybe we could just cede the 2018-19 season so we could roll right into 2019-20.

Gotta think big picture. Skip the next 5 years, then pop a UCLA run on the world!   ;)

Go Hogs!

Skandar Jackson

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 01:48:44 pm »

That's not a bad idea.  If Anderson could beat the other coaches onto the recruiting trail this spring it might mean hanging another banner in Bud Walton in a few years.

GlassofSwine

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 01:49:03 pm »

Given all options, I'd rather win tonight. SEC tournament is still wide open and I'd rather have a chance at a SEC tourney title than worry about resting for the NCAA tourney. 

hobhog

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 01:52:24 pm »

That's not a bad idea.  If Anderson could beat the other coaches onto the recruiting trail this spring it might mean hanging another banner in Bud Walton in a few years.

Banners don't matter. Our measure of success is just participating in the big dance. We don't have to actually win anything.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 01:57:18 pm »

That's a bold strategy, cotton.

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 03:26:22 pm »

These next games mean everything, we're not going to win the NCAA Tournament with Mike Anderson as coach so I would at least like to see us luck up and win the SEC Tournament under Mike as long as he's been here he needs to win something.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 04:14:43 pm »

I hate how we match up with Florida personnel wise but I am hoping to see the Hogs get over.
It's a terrible matchup for us...they have a veteran PG who can shoot, a 2 guard who seems to have career games against us and seem to always rebound well against us.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 04:20:37 pm »

I would love to watch the Hogs beat the hell out of Florida tonight and probably work themselves into a 6 seed but I won't be upset if we don't win. We don't match up very well with Florida IMO. Just go out and play hard and have fun.
Exactly...just go out and have fun. Put Hall on KA the entire game and see what happens

twistitup

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2018, 04:27:28 pm »

Fl lets us win just to wear us out for the big dance....I know their plan.

Rudy Baylor

• Hogvillian
  • We're afraid of STP girls Bluto
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 06:19:56 pm »

Bam! Pow!

Steve Austin, you just exposed that sucker for the fraud he is and the fraud he's always been.

BAM!!!!

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 06:58:49 pm »

Other than this gem of a post, the OP may be right.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not questioning yours or the OP's credibility.  Y'all both sound legit to me. 

This Ballhog1 character on the other hand...

Arky

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 07:53:31 pm »

Other than this gem of a post, the OP may be right.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not questioning yours or the OP's credibility.  Y'all both sound legit to me. 

This Ballhog1 character on the other hand...

Skandar Jackson

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2018, 10:51:58 pm »

Hate to say I told you so...but I told you so. 

I like thus team right now a lot.

Skandar Jackson

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2018, 10:58:29 pm »

Me, Joe, letsroll, and bsllhog1 have been trying to tell you guys all year that every loss isn't a complete disaster.  I tried to tell you the loss least Saturday to Missouri didn't matter.  Boy did I hear it from all the numskulls and mouthbreathers.

There's three or four level headed folks in here...steady hands that understand this thing is a marathon and not a sprint. 

Some of you owe me an apology.  Moat of you owe Joe and little Joe (letsroll) an apology.  Consider this the apology thread right here. 

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2018, 11:00:55 pm »

I accept yours and ballhog's apologies!  It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong.

hobhog

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2018, 12:57:45 am »

But remember: this game doesn't mean much

Ham Sandwich

• Varsity
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 01:59:55 am »

These next games mean everything, we're not going to win the NCAA Tournament with Mike Anderson as coach so I would at least like to see us luck up and win the SEC Tournament under Mike as long as he's been here he needs to win something.

What a jack ass response. You have no idea if we will or will not win the whole thing with MA as coach.

Mjs84

• Varsity
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2018, 02:19:22 am »

What a jack ass response. You have no idea if we will or will not win the whole thing with MA as coach.

That's right!  MEDIOCRE MIKE strikes again!   We're going to the final four y'all!

HardCore

• Senior
  • Was it good for you too, Leo?
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 07:46:21 am »

Want to beat Tenner and I want Kentucky to beat Bama.

The SEC Championship game should be Arkansas & Kentucky EVERY YEAR IMO!

hobhog

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 08:24:35 am »

Me, Joe, letsroll, and bsllhog1 have been trying to tell you guys all year that every loss isn't a complete disaster.  I tried to tell you the loss least Saturday to Missouri didn't matter.  Boy did I hear it from all the numskulls and mouthbreathers.

There's three or four level headed folks in here...steady hands that understand this thing is a marathon and not a sprint. 

Some of you owe me an apology.  Moat of you owe Joe and little Joe (letsroll) an apology.  Consider this the apology thread right here.

You look more ridiculous after every win.

BigBrandonAllenFan

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2018, 10:28:05 am »

This times infinity 😡

Yes indeed!!  Did it!!

Go Hogs!!

BigBrandonAllenFan

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 10:45:40 am »

In my eyes it was an extremely important game.  It was a tide turner and a confidence builder.  Too long have we been over taken by Florida.  It is time to reverse that trend, and beating them is what you have to do to change it, no matter where and when the game is played.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:56:37 am by BigBrandonAllenFan »

hobhog

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2018, 12:37:46 am »

Bump due to OP ignorance...

Hoggish1

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2018, 10:05:43 am »

Losing to UT may have been a good thing.  We need rest.  A win vs them might have moved us up a seed but in the grand scheme of things rest will be best...

Beating Florida was the bomb for me.  Now rest.

hobhog

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2018, 10:30:32 am »

Losing to UT may have been a good thing.  We need rest.  A win vs them might have moved us up a seed but in the grand scheme of things rest will be best...

That's pretty much how fans roll these days.

Thank gawd the players don't share those sentiments.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 08:38:51 pm »

Losing is NEVER a good thing.  I wish our fanbase would get out of this mindset of rationalizing losses, and get back to actually WANTING to win every time the team steps on the court.

hobhog

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2018, 08:56:04 pm »

Losing is NEVER a good thing.  I wish our fanbase would get out of this mindset of rationalizing losses, and get back to actually WANTING to win every time the team steps on the court.

OP is trolling. See previous posts. And unfortunately our fans have really low expectations in basketball these days. Too young to remember winning.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas