RB Sports Discussion > Monday Morning Quarterback

Most underrated QB in Razorback history

(1/3) > >>

redleg:
Since the RB thread seems to have been a hit, I guess there is no reason we can't do one for the most underrated QB in Arkansas history as well.

1. Brad Taylor - Best passer in the 1980s. #9 in career passing yards. #12 in career passing TDs.
2. Tom Jones - Solid starter between Scanlon and Taylor. #13 in career passing yards. #13 in career passing TDs.
3. Kevin Scanlon - Capable passer and runner after Calcagni. Still holds record for best completion percentage for a season.
4. Ronny South - Starter before Montgomery in the late 1960s.
5. Greg Thomas - Predecessor to Grovey during Hatfield's tenure.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas:
Im only old enough to remember back to stoernor, but dare I say Brandon Allen. Starting his 1st game against Alabama definitely scarred him, but his name is on several Arkansas records for a reason.

rtr:
I think the Allen boys were talented enough but they were here at the wrong time.

redleg:
You may be right. But right now, most Hogs fans have an Allen hangover. We're sick of hearing that last name at QB. Cole Kelley was the best QB on the team in 2017.
But give Brandon his due...he showed steady progression over three years as the starter. Leadership in the huddle, good head for the game, and a play maker.

carolinahogger:

--- Quote from: redleg on March 07, 2018, 08:51:51 am ---4. Ronny South - Starter before Montgomery in the late 1960s.

--- End quote ---

Quarterbacked the hogs to their only losing record of the 60s.  He was not good at all.

--- Quote from: rtr on March 07, 2018, 09:00:30 am ---I think the Allen boys were talented enough but they were here at the wrong time.

--- End quote ---
I think that can be said about quite a few players over the past 4 or 5 years. More than we even know

--- Quote from: redleg on March 07, 2018, 09:12:48 am ---You may be right. But right now, most Hogs fans have an Allen hangover. We're sick of hearing that last name at QB. Cole Kelley was the best QB on the team in 2017.
But give Brandon his due...he showed steady progression over three years as the starter. Leadership in the huddle, good head for the game, and a play maker.

--- End quote ---
And don't forget the off the field stuff. Getting his truck set on fire, his car (or was it his apartment) getting egged, even though it later broke that an ex girlfriend did the egging. Brandon was all hog up until the very end.

Boardon Hamsay:
John Rutledge and Gary Brashears

ricepig:

--- Quote from: carolinahogger on March 07, 2018, 09:20:27 am ---Quarterbacked the hogs to their only losing record of the 60s.  He was not good at all.

--- End quote ---

The first games I was deemed "old enough" to go to were in 1967, South was the QB, we were bad.

RyanMallettsEgo:
Ryan Sorahan

NoogaHog:
I remember watching Jason Allen play. He was exciting to watch, that is until some Baylor defender ripped his leg off.

Haha. I looked up his stats, you gotta love the 8-16 TD-Int ratio.

snoot hoggy hog:
Houston Nutt

Razor1997:
Casey Dick.

Threw a key block 50 yards downfield to spring McFadden for a key TD in our road win at #1 and eventual National Champion LSU.  And who could forget Miracle on Markham II?

tusked:

Brad Taylor

hoggusamoungus:

--- Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on March 07, 2018, 09:54:47 am ---Houston Nutt

--- End quote ---

Danny Nutt.  Lost his starting job at UCA, transferred to UA and took playing time away from Brad Taylor. 

supersaint:
Doyle Preston. Amazing talent who tore his ACL during pregame warmups of the 1991 Baylor game.  He wasnít the same after.  He ended up as starting punter and played baseball.  Drafted by the Reds.  Not under rated, but a great talent that didnít work out.

twistitup:
Storey...but we will never know it.

His story may end up like Cody Hollister...who knows?

???

Hawgboy64:
With a top 5 of
Bill Montgomery
Joe Ferguson
Ron Calcagni
Quinn Grovey
Ryan Mallett

Maybe Scott Bull or Clint Stoerner

hogsanity:
My guess is whoever the back up is next year. The fans always think the backup is great and is getting shafted by the coach.

twistitup:

--- Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2018, 10:47:28 am ---My guess is whoever the back up is next year. The fans always think the backup is great and is getting shafted by the coach.

--- End quote ---

Derby was a few years back - I still remember the Hogville clamor

OS2 (SW) Razor Back:
Scott Bull

Mike Kirkland

Hawgey-Davidson:
How about Peanut Adams?  I kid, I kid.

BDSCT51:
Brad Taylor and Scott Bull top this list for me. Had the pleasure of seeing them at the HS level on numerous occasions too. They were Hogs through and through with WPS flowing in their veins.

Saw Scott Bull in maybe the second greatest HS game I ever witnessed, Jonesboro versus Hot Springs for the state title in 70 or maybe 71 I think. Ended in a 10-10 tie in the most atrocious weather and field conditions. Scott willed that team to hanging tough.

Watched Brad light up every team in the class A playoffs his senior year. You just knew he was going to be a great Hog QB.

welchog:

--- Quote from: Hawgboy64 on March 07, 2018, 10:44:35 am ---With a top 5 of
Bill Montgomery
Joe Ferguson
Ron Calcagni
Quinn Grovey
Ryan Mallett

--- End quote ---

OP is for most underrated QBs.  Yours looks like a list of our best.

Dark Helmet Hog:
Barry Lunney Jr

welchog:
IMO underrated is synonymous with exceeding expectations. 

That title belongs to one man...Matt Jones.

Dirty:
Peanut Adams!

LOL!

Busta_Nutt:
Mitch Mustain.

bphi11ips:

--- Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 07, 2018, 11:11:09 am ---Barry Lunney Jr

--- End quote ---

Boardon Hamsay:
Dowell Loggains

DeltaBoy:
Lunny and Brad Taylor

Razorback_Sam:
 :P Mitch Mustain....never lost a game.

hawginbigd1:
Mike Cherry and Tarvaris Jackson, and its not even close.

flippinhogmana:

--- Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2018, 09:30:48 am ---The first games I was deemed "old enough" to go to were in 1967, South was the QB, we were bad.

--- End quote ---

As I recall we had no running game back then (I mean in his year as starter), and it wasn't the finest period in FB's tenure.  It was South chucking it for almost all the offense.  Imho, its impossible to rate South in that scenario, but we were bad and the record reflects it, how much of it was due to him, I am not sure.

ChicoHog:

--- Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on March 07, 2018, 10:55:22 am ---How about Peanut Adams?  I kid, I kid.

--- End quote ---
I dare say he was probably the worst starting QB in modern razorback history. 

presidenthog:
Brandon Allen is the most underrated. A ton of people still think he sucked here.

010HogFan:

--- Quote from: presidenthog on March 07, 2018, 11:52:39 pm ---Brandon Allen is the most underrated. A ton of people still think he sucked here.

--- End quote ---

He was as solid as solid gets his senior year. I'm still mad that they took the football out of his hands at the end of that Miss. St. game when they had Dak.

redleg:

--- Quote from: ChicoHog on March 07, 2018, 04:18:39 pm ---I dare say he was probably the worst starting QB in modern razorback history.

--- End quote ---
I would go with LaJun "Petey" Burks over Adams.

tusked:

I originally said Brad Taylor but I may have to revote 'a liberal term' and go with Scott Bull.  He was the last Hog QB to win the Cotton Bowl as a SWC member in 75.

Bacons Rebellion:
Lamar McHan.

9th in the Heisman voting, highest ranking Razorback quarterback for that award. Drafted 2nd overall in the NFL draft. Played in the NFL and was the starting QB for Vince Lombardi until he had an injury and was replaced by a young Bart Starr.

ChicoHog:

--- Quote from: redleg on March 08, 2018, 09:45:02 am ---I would go with LaJun "Petey" Burks over Adams.

--- End quote ---
That's a good call. 

porcelet:
Jon Brittenum..the quarterbacking man

PORKULATOR:
Ron Calcagni

PorkSoda:

--- Quote from: presidenthog on March 07, 2018, 11:52:39 pm ---Brandon Allen is the most underrated. A ton of people still think he sucked here.

--- End quote ---
he did suck here for 3.5 half years he sucked the big one.

then the light switch turned on and he was clutch for half a season.

311Hog:

--- Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 07, 2018, 11:11:09 am ---Barry Lunney Jr

--- End quote ---

i like this choice i always liked Lunny Jr.   could be because he was QB when i was in HS.

LZH:
Haven't thought about Tom Jones in a while. He had a weird release iirc, like he was quadruple jointed or something. Seemed to take forever to get wound up and get rid of the ball. Not like it mattered, though...he did well.

DLUXHOG:
Ron Calcagni without a doubt.   He was truly a unsung hero for a couple of great and awesome Razorback teams.....

ErieHog:
Lunney or Brandon Allen.

Look, I love a lot of the nostalgia, but our quarterbacks even in our golden era, were not fantastic.  They were adequate, and fine for that era. 

island hog:

--- Quote from: Hawgboy64 on March 07, 2018, 10:44:35 am ---With a top 5 of
Bill Montgomery
Joe Ferguson
Ron Calcagni
Quinn Grovey
Ryan Mallett

--- End quote ---
none of these were underrated, in my opinion.. they were college QB stars and lived up to the billing.  I have great memories of each of them.  LOVED watching a couple of them beat hated horn nation in person!

DeltaBoy:

--- Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 07, 2018, 02:27:27 pm ---Mike Cherry and Tarvaris Jackson, and its not even close.

--- End quote ---

I saw Basil Shazz destroy Mike Cherry Texarkana team in the state title game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View