• 394,796 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Nolan Richardson Court Proposal  (Read 4373 times)

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
Re: Nolan Richardson Court Proposal
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 08:52:18 pm »

My my...I've read through this trepidous thread to the bitter end.   ??? (Have to correct myself. Been 12 new replies since I started typing!)

I will always remember the joy of the '94 National Championship team. Watching Coach Richardson stick to his six guns and boots and absolutely turn the Hardest Working Team In America loose.  To keep this shorter, I still remember the jubilation at my family's house that night they beat Duke for the Title, gathered with loved ones, unified in Hog-lunacy for hours, even days later.

I've somehow found it within myself to think fondly, and forgive any faults I could easily misjudge about the people who gave that wonderful season of joy to my family. Coach Richardson? It simply could not have happened without him. That's how I choose to think of him. Whatever Coach did or didn't do, those wonderful teams he produced gave me and mine joy.

I truly pray my post here will be taken in the kindest way, because that's how I mean it. It has been wisely said, "Be quick to forgive, slow to anger." I'm thankful the LORD is.

'Slow to anger, quick to forgive. Bygones are bygones! Live, and let live.'

Fine words.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 09:01:41 pm »

My my...I've read through this trepidous thread to the bitter end.   ??? (Have to correct myself. Been 12 new replies since I started typing!)

I will always remember the joy of the '94 National Championship team. Watching Coach Richardson stick to his six guns and boots and absolutely turn the Hardest Working Team In America loose.  To keep this shorter, I still remember the jubilation at my family's house that night they beat Duke for the Title, gathered with loved ones, unified in Hog-lunacy for hours, even days later.

I've somehow found it within myself to think fondly, and forgive any faults I could easily misjudge about the people who gave that wonderful season of joy to my family. Coach Richardson? It simply could not have happened without him. That's how I choose to think of him. Whatever Coach did or didn't do, those wonderful teams he produced gave me and mine joy.

I truly pray my post here will be taken in the kindest way, because that's how I mean it. It has been wisely said, "Be quick to forgive, slow to anger." I'm thankful the LORD is.

'Slow to anger, quick to forgive. Bygones are bygones! Live, and let live.'

NOLAN RICHARDSON COURT

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

razorback1829

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 09:02:40 pm »

I know you were too young to know what was happening then but the talk of firing him had been going on.

That talented recruiting class coming in thing didn’t work back then. 

Just making NCAAT wasn’t the expectation. 

Igoudala was a raw athlete who avg 9ppg in college.

No way Eddins was getting academically eligible at Arkansas.

The others were projects.

No I'm very much old enough and was then to be in the know of what wasn't going on. Eddins ended up being eligible, and ohhh was a lottery but pick. NO way to know how they would've turned out with NR

panhandlepig

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • don't worry about a thing
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 09:04:51 pm »

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 09:07:54 pm »

The fact that people don't think the guy who won us our only NC shouldn't have the court named after him says a lot about our fan base.

grayhawg

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 09:08:28 pm »

NOLAN RICHARDSON COURT
Count me in for that name.

3of5-2

• Senior
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 09:10:47 pm »

If I think my boss is racist I will tell them in a New York minute. You can take that to the bank snowflake. I bow to no man kemosabe.
You are always whining about people being racists. It's always about race with you. Something critical of MA, it must be because they are racists. Something critical of NR, it's because they are racists. You blame everything on race, and yet use Native American lingo to punctuate your disdain for the poster. Classic.

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2018, 09:14:22 pm »

You are always whining about people being racists. It's always about race with you. Something critical of MA, it must be because they are racists. Something critical of NR, it's because they are racists. You blame everything on race, and yet use Native American lingo to punctuate your disdain for the poster. Classic.
Broyles was believed to be racist though

panhandlepig

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2018, 09:18:57 pm »

It's past time. Man needs a statue, too. You win a Natty you earn a statue.

I couldn't care less about statues and I doubt he does either.

Name the court. He earned it.  All those players who contributed deserve it too.

3of5-2

• Senior
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2018, 09:22:54 pm »

Broyles was racist though
All the interactions I had with Frank, never did I see racism. There were times when he probably wasn't the nicest guy, but it wasn't because he was a "racist". Believe it or not, some white folks ain't the only ones that are "racists". Everybody is probably racist to some extent. Question is, do you go through life looking to blame racism for all things that don't go your way? My answer is, that there are some on here that do.

MikePiazza

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chicks dig the long ball
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 09:23:52 pm »

Norm Stewart has the court at Mizzou Arena named after him despite:

1) never coaching a game in it
2) never making a Final Four

Since he retired, two coaches, one of which is known as 'Mediocre Mike' on this board, have reached the highest achievement (Elite Eight) that he attained.

Nolan Richardson made three Final Fours, two national championship games, and beat DUKE in the national championship game and has had to wait get the court named after him because he went on a tirade in a couple of press conferences and then filed a lawsuit almost two decades ago.

To further illustrate my point, Eddie Sutton made two Final Fours at Oklahoma State and got the court named for him, then proceeded to get a DUI ON CAMPUS a year later. You don't think that would've invited a lawsuit had he injured a student or someone from the Stillwater community?

It's kind of one of those deals where even though Nolan did some things he's likely not proud of and that no one should be, you still honor history. You don't whitewash it. And his HOF career deserves permanent recognition on the court.

BrooklynRoss

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 09:25:39 pm »

This should shut up the cynics. It won't, but it should.

Good to have you back, man.

3of5-2

• Senior
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:28 pm »

Has anyone even asked Nolan if he would like the court named after him? It might be a good idea to talk to the man to see if he even cares about that. I certainly think it would be an honor, but he may have a different slant on this whole conversation.

hobhog

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2018, 09:38:58 pm »

The fact that people don't think the guy who won us our only NC shouldn't have the court named after him says a lot about our fan base.

Go back and WATCH what he said, how he said it, and how his career ended. It's easy to be condescending if you didn't witness it or know the specifics.

I'd vote no if asked, but won't really care if done.

BrooklynRoss

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2018, 09:44:35 pm »

Has anyone even asked Nolan if he would like the court named after him? It might be a good idea to talk to the man to see if he even cares about that. I certainly think it would be an honor, but he may have a different slant on this whole conversation.

Here's his take: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13814160/former-arkansas-coach-nolan-richardson-years-anger-softened.

hawkhawg

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2018, 09:53:20 pm »

Lets don't stop at the court:  The University of Nolan Richardson

3of5-2

• Senior
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2018, 09:56:55 pm »

Here's his take: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13814160/former-arkansas-coach-nolan-richardson-years-anger-softened.
Thanks, that was a good read, and I do think he has put some things to rest. I would just like for someone to ask him point blank about having the floor named after him, and see what he has to say.

Razorback_Mack

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 09:58:29 pm »

Lets don't stop at the court:  The University of Nolan Richardson
They name stuff after people at universities. Have you ever been to one or do you just watch basketball games on TV?

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 10:00:17 pm »

hawkhawg

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2018, 10:03:31 pm »

They name stuff after people at universities. Have you ever been to one or do you just watch basketball games on TV?

Well actually most games I watch are on TV.

Razorback_Mack

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2018, 10:05:56 pm »

Well actually most games I watch are on TV.

You’d have been a great addition to the Bozo show.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2018, 10:07:39 pm »

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2018, 10:07:48 pm »

From the article:"Smith brought the idea up with other senators and with Caleb Gray, the director of athletic relations with the ASG, and introduced the resolution to the group on Jan. 31. He said he has talked to Richardson about the idea.
"I would say to the students that if they felt I did a job they liked and they want to express their opinion on something such as naming the court after me, there's no reason for me to not want anything to happen," Richardson said."

BentonvilleJeff

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2018, 10:07:49 pm »

Nolan had a fire in his belly. It got him fired and also it won us a national title.

3of5-2

• Senior
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2018, 10:12:39 pm »

From the article:"Smith brought the idea up with other senators and with Caleb Gray, the director of athletic relations with the ASG, and introduced the resolution to the group on Jan. 31. He said he has talked to Richardson about the idea.
"I would say to the students that if they felt I did a job they liked and they want to express their opinion on something such as naming the court after me, there's no reason for me to not want anything to happen," Richardson said."
That sounds like he's ok with it, but I don't like the idea of students who are only here for a few years, having the final say.

hawkhawg

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2018, 10:13:59 pm »

You’d have been a great addition to the Bozo show.

Why are you so mad?

Im about as big a Nolan Richardson Fan you will find.  I think that naming the court after Nolan is long overdue.  I couldn't bring myself to leave Barnhill after that last game because it had so many memories.  I waited around till they made me leave.  I found myself walking out with Nolan and got to have a conversation with him. 

dcrback

• Bench Warmer
  • Wood hell...bring steel!
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2018, 10:15:15 pm »

I lived through all of those turbulent times, Frank Broyles was never a racist...he hired Nolan!  I believe he was the first African-American head basketball coach in our conference but I could be mistaken. Nolan's words hurt a lot of fans like myself who held him in such high esteem. 
The fact that he has stayed in Arkansas near the university tells me he still has warm feelings toward us.
Would I vote to name the court after him?  Not until he showed some measure of remorse.
Just my humble opinion.

Davidr295

• Varsity
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2018, 10:20:08 pm »

Im too young to remember the glory days but I'm all for naming the court after him, despite the racist razorback mack's whining trying to call Broyles a racist.

panhandlepig

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2018, 10:31:02 pm »

I lived through all of those turbulent times, Frank Broyles was never a racist...he hired Nolan!  I believe he was the first African-American head basketball coach in our conference but I could be mistaken. Nolan's words hurt a lot of fans like myself who held him in such high esteem. 
The fact that he has stayed in Arkansas near the university tells me he still has warm feelings toward us.
Would I vote to name the court after him?  Not until he showed some measure of remorse.
Just my humble opinion.
. What?   Huh?  Keep talking..

hawgball40

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2018, 10:35:23 pm »

No he wasn't! Keep repeating it and you think it's true. I swear this kind of crap should be prosecuted a guy gets on here like he knows something and states it like it's true.

You non biased BS opinion and you write it like you know it to be true. Broyles was not perfect and neither was Nolan.
The last 2 coaches in college football to integrate were JFB and Darrell Royal.

Here's a quote from Frank about Darrell Brown, the first black football player at arkansas. click the link to read about the abuse he suffered under Broyles during his brief career as the tackle dummy for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Longtime football coach and later AD Frank Broyles oversaw every practice. “He wanted them to do what they did,” Brown says. “It all came down from the power that Broyles possessed. I remember him being up in the stands when I was running back kicks against eleven of them, and he’d shout out, ‘Why is it that you can’t catch that n****r?’”
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/881956-arkansas-football-will-finally-honor-integration-pioneer-darrell-brown

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2018, 10:35:55 pm »

. What?   Huh?  Keep talking..
Chop off half my foot and call me Toby!

razordawg

• Band Nerd
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2018, 10:36:35 pm »

Let us not forget that Eddie Sutton turned Arkansas basketball around - Nolan took it to another level. Sometimes you make mistakes in life that do come back to haunt you later - for example, my favorite Coach of all time is Bobby Knight - he won three national championships at Indiana out of the five that they have - his players graduated - he supported the university with time and money - after all of these outstanding accomplishments it did not matter to the University of Indiana - at the end he also left with a bitter departure - and, after all these years the court at Indiana has still not been named in his honor.   

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2018, 10:38:09 pm »

hawgball40

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:56 pm »

My how times have changed.

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
     Voltaire
Freedom of speech my lad, not freedom from consequences.

hawgball40

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2018, 10:42:37 pm »

All the interactions I had with Frank, never did I see racism. There were times when he probably wasn't the nicest guy, but it wasn't because he was a "racist". Believe it or not, some white folks ain't the only ones that are "racists". Everybody is probably racist to some extent. Question is, do you go through life looking to blame racism for all things that don't go your way? My answer is, that there are some on here that do.

hawgball40

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2018, 10:50:37 pm »

Fired for cause aka speaking what’s on your mind. Whoopty freaking doo. That’s so bad I just wanna curl up and cry thinking about it. I feel violated.
You wan't to curl up and cry because you can't refute my points. stroke your ego on your own.

Dude people around the country have thought Arkansans are racists for a hundred years. And I bet 99% of them can’t even tell you who NR is. Get a clue.
Not really. I've lived across the us. mostly all i got were jokes about wearing shoes and "this one has all his teeth guys" stuff. never anything about racism. That doesn't matter though.

My take
Nolan made derogatory comments about the university, thus violating his contract. that was all Frank needed to fire his ass, and he did. Now as i've eluded to in this thread, Nolan was probably speaking the truth about Frank and the athletic department. But it doesn't matter now, let bygones be bygones. Frank is gone now and Nolan is an old ass man. Frank got the broyles center, give Nolan the court. Regardless of their personal drama and mistakes, they both accomplished a great deal at the university, and as such deserve to be recognized. End of discussion in my opinion.

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2018, 11:59:45 pm »

He made derogatory remarks about the program and administration, the effects of which our program still feels to this day.

Alleging racism against a university doesn't damage the perception of the university? what planet do you live on. People still think Arkansas is racist because of it.

Got a hot news flash for you. Nolan Richardson ain’t the reason people think Arkansas is racist. Gov Faubus, Little Rock Central High, the Confederacy, Sundown towns, the KKK grand Wizard living here......THOSE are the reasons people think Arkansas is racist.

okrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2018, 01:23:49 am »

I think it's even more appropriate that people with your opinion are utterly weak and powerless and have no influence to stop this from happening.

Bring on Nolan Richardson Court!

Nolan wa the best basketball coach Arkansas ever had and probably everwill have. Bring it on

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Married way....way...way....up.
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2018, 01:53:34 am »

Just as long as it has Slobbering Hog on it, I am in.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2018, 02:15:56 am »

If we can can name stadiums/arenas (Donald W. Reynolds, Bud Walton) after people that donate money then we sure as hell can name facilities for the coaches and administrators who build or raise their respective programs to new heights.

John Barnhill, Frank Broyles, George Cole, John McDonnell, Norm DeBriyn (concourse) all have their name on a facility or part of the stadium.

It's beyond time for the coach responsible for our only national championship in our basketball history to be honored with the naming of our court.

It'd be nice if we built a statue for him in the lobby as well.

It's sad that students who never got to experience the Razorbacks when they were "Rollin' with Nolan" are smarter and more respectful than some of the fans on hogville.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2018, 02:17:46 am »

Is there anything named after Nutt or John L Smith?

Did either of them win a national championship?

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2018, 02:19:14 am »

Dude our freaking President says whatever he wants. He has no filter and he was elected to the most prestigious office in the world. I wonder where some of you people live. North Korea I guess.

Obviously there’s some things you can’t say. But all he said was in so many words pay me my money and they can fire me and I don’t play by the same rules as other coaches on the campus play by and people of my race know it. OMG how violating to say that. You snowflakes really are something. We should black ball the guy for life for saying that. What a joke.

They are two faced.  They all wanted Bobby retained despite him lying and hiring his mistress but Nolan speaks out of line and they wanted him fired and don't want to honor him.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2018, 02:25:04 am »

but I don't like the idea of students who are only here for a few years, having the final say.
Many of them will stay and become donors and season ticket holders.  They are the future suite holders and club members.  They, with many other alumni, will help support the athletic program.  The student vote is a sign of changing opinion.  I, for one, am glad to see the change.

Sow Lancelot

• Senior
  • #NumquamDescedete!
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2018, 04:17:00 am »

Freedom of speech my lad, not freedom from consequences.
“No one has the right to say whatever they want.” hawgball40

Not my words.

jackflash

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2018, 06:13:38 am »

lets make this happen its time

hawgball40

« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2018, 06:31:20 am »

Got a hot news flash for you. Nolan Richardson ain’t the reason people think Arkansas is racist. Gov Faubus, Little Rock Central High, the Confederacy, Sundown towns, the KKK grand Wizard living here......THOSE are the reasons people think Arkansas is racist.
Got one for you too: You are minimizing to support your stance. Nolan caused harm to the university, whether or not you want to admit it. He was fired for cause. Its really difficult for me to understand why everyone is so set in their ways on this issue. The truth is in the middle, but none of you ignorant people will hear it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:51:37 am by hawgball40 »

hawgball40

« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2018, 06:32:01 am »

“No one has the right to say whatever they want.” hawgball40

Not my words.
You know what I meant Sow. You are just being indignant by splitting cont heirs.

hawgball40

« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2018, 06:38:09 am »

Dude our freaking President says whatever he wants. He has no filter and he was elected to the most prestigious office in the world. I wonder where some of you people live. North Korea I guess.

Obviously there’s some things you can’t say. But all he said was in so many words pay me my money and they can fire me and I don’t play by the same rules as other coaches on the campus play by and people of my race know it. OMG how violating to say that. You snowflakes really are something. We should black ball the guy for life for saying that. What a joke.
Ok man, i will say this slowly since you don't seem to understand. HE. WAS. FIRED. FOR. CAUSE. The cause being, he made an insinuating, derogatory remark against his employer to the press. In 99%(if not 100%) of cases, a person making such remarks would be fired for slandering his employer. Just the way it is. You are free to say what you want, but you are not free from the consequences.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2018, 06:44:29 am »

I have a lot of lerning to do. I clicked this thread thinking it would be about something other than racism

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2018, 07:27:57 am »

He got fired for simply speaking his mind and excerising his right to speak freely. Is that not enough of a consequence for you?

Everyone makes mistakes and bad decisions. EVEN YOU. Honestly what he did wasn’t even bad. There was nothing morally wrong about it. It’s not even a character flaw against him.

The fact is human beings are flawed individuals.

Edidie Sutton has a court named after him and he was a terrible alcoholic.

Adolph Rupp has an arena named after him and he was a known racist.

I’m so glad you’re a perfect person though. Enjoy life holding words against people that they simply spoke nearly 20 years ago.

The comments Nolan made while he was Head Coach aren't an issue because he apologized for those. The issue is the lawsuit he filed against the U of A.

I'm one that believes he deserves the honor but when he filed that lawsuit, he bit the hand that fed he and his family for 17 years.

There are people in power up there with long memories.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas