RB Sports Discussion > Recruiting Forum......Kirk's Korner

Are Several 'Underrated' in 2018 Class?

Pages: (1/1)

Drew Amman:

http://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/razorback-nation/davenport-on-arkansas-2018-class-some-guys-are-vastly-underrated/967983573

liljo:

He specifically mentioned one I thought of when I read this thread title: Billy Ferrell. That young man is going to be a difference maker.

golfinpig:

Ferrell does look surprisingly quick for a kid that big. Arkansas kids don’t seem to get the “stars”.

nwahogfan1:

I think we signed several who were underrated but I probable think that every year.   Lets hope I am finally right and several of our recruits come in ready to play.   We need play makers on both sides.  Lets hope they are there.

jgphillips3:

Looking at offer lists...yes, several are underrated.

Tejano Jawg:

After reading more about this class in the past week, the more I like them. Just look at the offer list from some of these guys…very strong.

Excellent report by Richard D, as always.

Bubba's Bruisers:

Going by the offer sheet alone, I'd say Gerald and Foucha are probably underrated.

31to6:


--- Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 12, 2018, 11:56:51 am ---Going by the offer sheet alone, I'd say Gerald and Foucha are probably underrated.

--- End quote ---
Foucha is probably underrated. All the teams in the SEC certainly thought so.

If he is 5'10" - 5'11" that probably hurt him with the "film evaluators" on the recruiting sites even if strength, speed, ball skills, instincts, etc are all there. Teams are liking longer safeties these days. But honestly what difference does one inch in height really make and who can tell if he a given HS kid is really done growing?

.88 composite is actually a very strong rating for a JUCO. Players like Cam Newton and Sheldon Richardson were only mid-tier 4*'s in the composite and there has not been a consensus 5* JUCO, ever. So if a JUCO pans out, you can basically add a star.

Some will down-rate them simply because they don't have as many years left. Others because of the uncertainty of whether they will make the field or integrate with the scheme quickly enough.

Bubba's Bruisers:


--- Quote from: 31to6 on February 12, 2018, 12:24:38 pm ---Foucha is probably underrated. All the teams in the SEC certainly thought so.

If he is 5'10" - 5'11" that probably hurt him with the "film evaluators" on the recruiting sites even if strength, speed, ball skills, instincts, etc are all there. Teams are liking longer safeties these days. But honestly what difference does one inch in height really make and who can tell if he a given HS kid is really done growing?

.88 composite is actually a very strong rating for a JUCO. Players like Cam Newton and Sheldon Richardson were only mid-tier 4*'s in the composite and there has not been a consensus 5* JUCO, ever. So if a JUCO pans out, you can basically add a star.

Some will down-rate them simply because they don't have as many years left. Others because of the uncertainty of whether they will make the field or integrate with the scheme quickly enough.

--- End quote ---

You're probably right.

And if guys like Winkle and Parker are still noted as 2 stars, then they're underrated as well.

That said, and because I try to be as objective as possible, I'll opine that we might have one that's overrated a bit just based on the offer sheet...Bishop.  So it can cut both ways.  But by and large, yes, we probably have a bit of an underrated class.  However, I think it's very consistent talent-wise with previous classes sans the low numbers.  IE, if we would have signed another 5 or 6 recuits, we likely finish around the mid 20's.

Vantage 8 dude:


--- Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 12, 2018, 12:41:56 pm ---You're probably right.

And if guys like Winkle and Parker are still noted as 2 stars, then they're underrated as well.

That said, and because I try to be as objective as possible, I'll opine that we might have one that's overrated a bit just based on the offer sheet...Bishop.  So it can cut both ways.  But by and large, yes, we probably have a bit of an underrated class.  However, I think it's very consistent talent-wise with previous classes sans the low numbers.  IE, if we would have signed another 5 or 6 recuits, we likely finish around the mid 20's.

--- End quote ---
And if indeed we had finished somewhere in the 20s given the lower numbers I could have certainly lived with that, especially considering the early signing date issue.

Grizzlyfan:

Let's hope that this group develops and are all contributing in a big way in 2 or 3 years.

Rock City Razorback:

Really think Winkle will be an absolute stud. I'd bet money he ends up a starter and major player

nonoffensiveposter:

All the players we signed are underrated. All the players we didn't sign are overrated.

The NewEra:

I think Billy Ferrell is underrated. 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/billy-ferrell-180090

Hogindasticks:

Ferrell with Dorian and Agim.......just smh...who is the other end?

liljo:

Watch Michael Woods.

This year.

Weapon. A lot faster than commonly reported.

From what I'm hearing--a WHOLE lot faster. HUDL has him listed at 4.76 in the 40. That's probably about right--backpeddling.

GuvHog:


--- Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 12, 2018, 12:49:10 pm ---And if indeed we had finished somewhere in the 20s given the lower numbers I could have certainly lived with that, especially considering the early signing date issue.

--- End quote ---

Arkansas could have signed 17 four star recruits and they still would have been ranked in the 40's. To get a decent recruiting ranking, a University has to sign at least 25 recruits. Since the Hogs only had 17 scholarships available and signed that many, they have 8 zeros in recruiting. Those 8 zeros makes the class look far worse than it really is.

Bubba's Bruisers:


--- Quote from: GuvHog on February 23, 2018, 10:28:34 am ---Arkansas could have signed 17 four star recruits and they still would have been ranked in the 40's. To get a decent recruiting ranking, a University has to sign at least 25 recruits. Since the Hogs only had 17 scholarships available and signed that many, they have 8 zeros in recruiting. Those 8 zeros makes the class look far worse than it really is.

--- End quote ---

It's typically the top 20 in the class, not the top 25, that are factored into the equation.  We'd have only gotten 3 zeros, so I'm certain 17 4* would have generated a top 20 class.

bennyl08:


--- Quote from: Hogindasticks on February 12, 2018, 09:49:55 pm ---Ferrell with Dorian and Agim.......just smh...who is the other end?

--- End quote ---

We playing three ends and one tackle? Gerald and Agim are ends. However, for all we know, this will be Agim's last year here.

Starters would probably be Dorian and Agim at end if Dorian can catch on quickly enough. Porter and Taylor would be my guess to start across from Agim otherwise.

At DT, I think Guidry, Capps, and Marshall all stay at the top. Don't see anybody unseating them, though Ferrell could rise up to the other backup and get some good playing time as well.

Flrazrback:

I watched Connor Noland in the State Championship game against Pine Bluff last night.. Not saying that Noland is underrated but he is one heck of a talented player...

Al Boarland:

Implies players ahead of them are overrated.

31to6:


--- Quote from: Al Boarland on February 24, 2018, 10:18:44 am ---Implies players ahead of them are overrated.

--- End quote ---
Every year there are highly rated busts--which means that, by definition, there are always some underrated recruits as well.

The trick is finding the latter while avoiding the former :)

liljo:


--- Quote from: Al Boarland on February 24, 2018, 10:18:44 am ---Implies players ahead of them are overrated.

--- End quote ---

No. It does not. It implies that, while there are guys that the recruiting services rate 4* for example, there are other guys that are just as good, but rated as 3* players. Thus the term "under rated."

A player that is rated 4-5 star status has no doubt been evaluated by a lot of pros in the business and very likely deserves that status. But it's a lot easier to get into DFW for hundreds of coaches than to get to Fordyce, Arkansas. Thus, case in point, Billy Ferrell being a prime example of a player who may be under rated.

Hogindasticks:

Billy Ferrell is an absolute beast.....gonna be fun to watch our DeLine this year.

liljo:


--- Quote from: Hogindasticks on February 25, 2018, 03:43:26 pm ---Billy Ferrell is an absolute beast.....gonna be fun to watch our DeLine this year.

--- End quote ---

Yes sir. A werewolf, no matter the moon phase. Very quick big man, tough, and tenacious. We're gonna get more players of that same mold, too.

I predict that by the 2020 season, we will have a formidable defense, particularly the front four.

JIHawg:

The Jones kid at qb-don’t underestimate this kid.

ChicoHog:

It's not the players you don't get that kill you.  It's the players you do get but never pan out.  All about success rate.  Clemson has a very high success rate.  Hopefully Morris can do the same here. 

AlmaHog2011:


--- Quote from: nonoffensiveposter on February 12, 2018, 07:31:30 pm ---All the players we signed are underrated. All the players we didn't sign are overrated.

--- End quote ---

Why even bother to post this nonsense? You have nothing better to do? Wash your dog.


AlmaHog2011:


--- Quote from: ChicoHog on February 25, 2018, 08:04:00 pm ---It's not the players you don't get that kill you.  It's the players you do get but never pan out.  All about success rate.  Clemson has a very high success rate.  Hopefully Morris can do the same here.

--- End quote ---

Key to getting us turned around. Take advantage of undeveloped kids from Arkansas. Identify the ones who just need weight training and speed training. Redshirt as many as possible.

AlmaHog2011:


--- Quote from: Hogindasticks on February 25, 2018, 03:43:26 pm ---Billy Ferrell is an absolute beast.....gonna be fun to watch our DeLine this year.

--- End quote ---

He sure looks like a future SEC star. And if I am correct Coach B didn't offer him? Wonder why?

ricepig:


--- Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 25, 2018, 08:11:04 pm ---He sure looks like a future SEC star. And if I am correct Coach B didn't offer him? Wonder why?

--- End quote ---

Same reason Bama and others didn't offer him until Dec......

AlmaHog2011:


--- Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2018, 08:13:15 pm ---Same reason Bama and others didn't offer him until Dec......

--- End quote ---

OK and what was that reason? Thought it might be like the kid that started for OU as a freshman or the kid who plays for Missouri when he's not suspended for mary jane.

liljo:


--- Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2018, 08:13:15 pm ---Same reason Bama and others didn't offer him until Dec......

--- End quote ---

Maybe the crooked and dark roads to Fordyce were just to much trouble for BB to navigate. Or, maybe Mr. Ferrell didn't like the idea of getting double-teamed in the 3-4 all the time. Or, maybe he liked his chances of earlier playing time in the 4-3.

I'm confident this young man will be a force for the Arkansas Razorbacks.



Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version