• 394,740 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've read this board for a couple months now  (Read 838 times)

hawgsalot

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
I've read this board for a couple months now
« on: February 03, 2018, 10:57:31 am »

I've read this board for a couple months now, the negative nancy's that always b*#&) and moan and the Sun never goes down crowd.  Seems to me this team is pretty dang good and the one thing keeping it from being a top 15 team is the lack of a serviceable 4. I wish Mike would at times is put Hall at the 4 and play fast but not sure he has the bench.   If this team had 2 decent 4's it would be pretty devastating offensive and defensive team, unfortunately Mike hasn't even found one.  That's the thing people should be whining about, most of the other stuff is just arm chair point guard bs.

raz1965

• Varsity
Re: I've read this board for a couple months now
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 11:00:12 am »

Yes sir.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

3of5-2

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:07:08 am »

Well since Mike is the one that is in charge of recruiting, coaching, developing, teaching, deciding the lineup, inserting the subs, game planning, game strategy, game adjustments, chemistry, defense, offense, one would think that after 7 years, that would have been done by now.

hawgsalot

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:21:03 am »

Well since Mike is the one that is in charge of recruiting, coaching, developing, teaching, deciding the lineup, inserting the subs, game planning, game strategy, game adjustments, chemistry, defense, offense, one would think that after 7 years, that would have been done by now.

Can't disagree with that but he did recruit Bobby and he would be a senior this year so he can do it but I do agree it's his responsibility.  I will also agree there are very few programs that have all the pieces, only the highest recruiting year in and year out can pull that off.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 11:31:39 am »

I've read this board for a couple months now, the negative nancy's that always b*#&) and moan and the Sun never goes down crowd.  Seems to me this team is pretty dang good and the one thing keeping it from being a top 15 team is the lack of a serviceable 4. I wish Mike would at times is put Hall at the 4 and play fast but not sure he has the bench.   If this team had 2 decent 4's it would be pretty devastating offensive and defensive team, unfortunately Mike hasn't even found one.  That's the thing people should be whining about, most of the other stuff is just arm chair point guard bs.

Mike has been in charge 7 years. The reason we don't have a serviceable 4 is 100% his fault!

We will always we saying "we would be great IF..." as long as Mediocre Mike is head coach.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 11:32:49 am »

Can't disagree with that but he did recruit Bobby and he would be a senior this year so he can do it but I do agree it's his responsibility.  I will also agree there are very few programs that have all the pieces, only the highest recruiting year in and year out can pull that off.

If you recruit NBA type talent and expect them to be here 4 years, you aren't very smart.  Just isn't happening in today's college basketball culture. 

porkinsons disease

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 11:35:59 am »

If you recruit NBA type talent and expect them to be here 4 years, you aren't very smart.  Just isn't happening in today's college basketball culture. 
Yeah, Mike was in uncharted waters there

latrops

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:54:22 am »

The complaining is less about this year and more about ongoing issues that have us perpetually on the NCAAT bubble at best.  Can Anderson put together a complete enough roster and adapt his scheme to better compete with teams that have good ball handlers and shooters?

razorpimp

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 11:58:33 am »

You obviously been reading this board more than watching them play or you would realize they have many more issues

26.2Hog

• Senior
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 12:02:22 pm »

Yeah, and the only thing that kept me from being a Rhodes Scholar was my grades.

HogsonHicks

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 12:12:39 pm »

So you’re saying people shouldn’t be bothered by a 15-7 / 4-5 record because we don’t have enough good players.  Further, we’d be good if we had better players.

Enlightening. 

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 12:18:58 pm »

I think your off.  We could have Corliss, and we would not be any better.  Thompson/Gafford together is strong. The problem is the lack of defense, and the one-on-one offensive sets.  A stud four would never see the ball unless he rebounded it.

When this team plays like a team on both ends of the court, we will be a good team.  We have talent.   

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 12:28:36 pm »

You're spot on! When Arkansas gets production from the 4 spot its usually a win. I think you have to plsy Hall some at the 4 spot with Gafford. Hall is the best 3 and 4 on the team.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mike put Macon back in the starting line up and putting Hall at the 4.

rmcchris

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 12:30:23 pm »

You sound like a person that knows basketball. I’m not one of the negative people you mention.  I do complain about poor coaching and basketball. Come on man you can’t say our defense is good or half court offensive sets most of the time are good. Rebounding?  I agree we need a four but we need a few other things as well. On the defensive side how many times have you seen this:  high pick and we ALWAYS switch. Our big now on their guard. He blows by him kicks for a three or dishes for a dunk or heck just takes it to the rack. Or we attempt to trap and they kick it to the wing or corner for a wide open three. Come on man! Do you watch the same games I do?

Hoggish1

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 12:36:46 pm »

Mike is what his record says he is.  He will either be 16-7 or 15-8 after LSU today.  We got blown out by LSU in our house...  Let that sink in.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 12:41:26 pm »

Mike is what his record says he is.  He will either be 16-7 or 15-8 after LSU today.  We got blown out by LSU in our house...  Let that sink in.

That bad Oklahoma State team is beating top 10 Kansas at Kansas. Things happen, teams get hot.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 01:10:52 pm »

To be honest Dustin thomas was susposed to be a stud and didn't pan out..https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=17ScirVlzHk

Piglet

• Band Nerd
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 01:19:43 pm »

Bottom line - It's not the system or even the coaching.  Just like football, its the Jimmys and Joes.  Every great team has to have at least a couple of future NBA players, good role players, and a strong bench.  A few elite teams can put this lineup together almost every year.  Most teams are continually playing with weaknesses they have to cover up.  Arkansas is among the latter, but in my opinion have been building toward a more talented team since Mike took over.  We may never reach the elite status, but I am enjoying being at least competitive again.

okrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 01:23:38 pm »

I think your off.  We could have Corliss, and we would not be any better.  Thompson/Gafford together is strong. The problem is the lack of defense, and the one-on-one offensive sets.  A stud four would never see the ball unless he rebounded it.

When this team plays like a team on both ends of the court, we will be a good team.  We have talent.

If we had Corliss and Nolan we would be better.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 01:29:34 pm »

To be honest Dustin thomas was susposed to be a stud and didn't pan out..https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=17ScirVlzHk

That doesn't even look like the same player. What in the hell happened to him?

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 01:32:14 pm »

I thought bobby would have graduated last year?

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 01:49:16 pm »

That doesn't even look like the same player. What in the hell happened to him?
He's inconsistent, for one thing. Darn near gets a double double against OSU then barely scratches against the Aggies. I wish he'd bring it every night.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 01:55:44 pm »

Dustin Thomas was maybe a 2 or 3-star guy who went to Colorado. Pretty good player, makes a nice role player.
But there is nothing that ever suggested he was going to be a 'stud'.

You can take a guy's recruiting ranking and look at his offer sheet and accurately determine a player's ability with 90% accuracy. Thomas wasn't highly ranked, nor highly recruited.

So no, I didn't expect much more from him than what he has given. He has played up to my expectations. He's had some nice games.

hobhog

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 01:58:50 pm »

Winning cures everything. The inconsistency last 7 years is what is wearing people down.

Pointing out that good teams lose every once in awhile to bad teams means nothing-  We ARE that team that occasionally beats good teams during average years.

RedBird5

• Varsity
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 02:05:08 pm »

[/quote

That’s a lot of posts for a “couple months”...😉

HoginMemphis

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 02:17:26 pm »

Not a valid excuse. This happens to many programs every year.

ParkerSchnabel

• Varsity
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 02:21:23 pm »

Well said. Honestly, I think we might have done something along those lines, had we not lost an important piece coming into the season. But a bad heart isn't something to take a chance with.

upperdeck_hawg

• Fear the Stache!
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 02:22:21 pm »

If Corliss still had eligibility

ParkerSchnabel

• Varsity
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 02:22:46 pm »

Not a valid excuse. This happens to many programs every year.

As of right now this team is "in" the tournament. Nobody is making excuses. If it wasn't for crappy fans there would be no need to "explain" anything to the know it all's who don't know the first thing about basketball.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 06:42:08 pm »

As of right now this team is "in" the tournament. Nobody is making excuses. If it wasn't for crappy fans there would be no need to "explain" anything to the know it all's who don't know the first thing about basketball.
What about now, 4 hours after your comment? Still "in"? I do not think it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas