• 394,662 Topics
• 22,261 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too early to tell on Mike  (Read 1371 times)

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
Too early to tell on Mike
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:10:52 am »

It's only year 7. It will probably be another 10 years until the 2008 Missouri team that went to the Elite 8 has kids old enough to play in college. When we get those guys on the hill, Mike will dominate for a season.

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lucy, 10-11-2004 - 10-30-2015
Re: Too early to tell on Mike
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 11:00:43 am »

haahaha

Sort of mean, but kind of true.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 11:18:12 am »

It's only year 7. It will probably be another 10 years until the 2008 Missouri team that went to the Elite 8 has kids old enough to play in college. When we get those guys on the hill, Mike will dominate for a season.

I was going to argue with you when I read your title of your post but after reading your comment I agree 100%.

Torqued pork

• The year after next year.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 11:32:07 am »

On Jeff Long's calendar year 7 was actually year 2.

Hog N Bama

• All-American Hogvillian
  • BELIEVE
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 03:34:12 pm »

MA hasnít won any title here. And he isnít. Thatís why he got a contract extension  :puke:

HF#1

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 04:20:43 pm »

Lifetime contracts are FO LYFE

MountieDawg

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 04:27:10 pm »

The new AD came in and took over where Long left off.... Atleast the buyout is still just a million... Not 14 milion!!!

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 04:48:37 pm »

I have the same feeling I did last fall-sort of deja vu. I like Mike, he's a nice guy.. but..

RazorPiggie

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 09:20:46 pm »

The new AD came in and took over where Long left off.... Atleast the buyout is still just a million... Not 14 milion!!!

New AD had nothing to do with this.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 09:25:51 pm »

New AD had nothing to do with this.
has anybody actually confirmed this or did someone make that up? Because I'm pretty sure someone did, I would like some proof

RazorPiggie

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 09:33:16 pm »

has anybody actually confirmed this or did someone make that up? Because I'm pretty sure someone did, I would like some proof

The deal was signed on 11/27 and Yurachek wasnít announced until the 4th. JCP was the one that signed the contract.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 09:44:07 pm »

The deal was signed on 11/27 and Yurachek wasnít announced until the 4th. JCP was the one that signed the contract.
yeah but I ready something that they can't push the deal through without the new Ads consent..

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 08:29:13 am »

Bottom line is that Mike can not say the UA didn't give him enough Time.

hogginbama

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 08:48:27 am »

I never see the sense in it all. A football coach, has to build a team of 85 players and be competitive by winning around 75% of their games by year 5 or fans call for their heads and discuss how worthless of a human being they are. A basketball coach on the other hand, has a team of 12-15, in a sport where 1 recruit per year can make you a powerhouse. We are okay with allowing the b-ball coach 7+ yrs winning at a 60% clip and suffering blowout losses on a regular clip. The b-ball coach makes the same mistakes, runs no offense, continues to trap/switch so post players are out of position, gets destroyed on the offensive boards yearly, and my fingers are tired.

Why the hypocrisy?

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 09:44:25 am »

Serious question, particularly in light of the inaccuracies of Bielema's buyout. Is Anderson's buyout $1 million total, or $1 million for each year remaining on his contract?

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 09:47:30 am »

Serious question, particularly in light of the inaccuracies of Bielema's buyout. Is Anderson's buyout $1 million total, or $1 million for each year remaining on his contract?
each year

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 09:55:36 am »

I never see the sense in it all. A football coach, has to build a team of 85 players and be competitive by winning around 75% of their games by year 5 or fans call for their heads and discuss how worthless of a human being they are. A basketball coach on the other hand, has a team of 12-15, in a sport where 1 recruit per year can make you a powerhouse. We are okay with allowing the b-ball coach 7+ yrs winning at a 60% clip and suffering blowout losses on a regular clip. The b-ball coach makes the same mistakes, runs no offense, continues to trap/switch so post players are out of position, gets destroyed on the offensive boards yearly, and my fingers are tired.

Why the hypocrisy?

I wouldn't say it's hypocrisy as much as people just don't seem to grasp how difficult of a task a football coach at arkansas has.

We just don't make enough in state guys to be competitive year in and year out, and if you look at the best teams we've had at this school in the past 20 years, they are full of dynamic in state recruits. We will never be a powerhouse in football. Doesn't mean we can't win some.

But basketball is different, we could legit be good every year, and some years be very good. I appreciate what Mike has done getting us to a stable level and taking care of most of the off-court issues, but there comes a point where just making the tournament every 2 years isn't good enough. We have the kids in the state to build a roster, and we make a top tier recruit in basketball every couple of years. Not to mention Memphis, OKC/Tulsa, KC/St. Louis, and Texas all being right there.

I truly think we're a sleeping giant in basketball, not football. But we're fine I guess with a tournament appearance in bball, but not fine with 7-8 wins in football, which is exactly where we'll always be year in and year out.

I'm with you, I feel like a crazy person. But here we are. And again, I like Mike, but I was ready to move on in 2015-2016, and now I'm starting to get pretty bummed, because this team has a chance to be fairly special, but we can't get it together.

Dirty

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 10:03:58 am »

Bottom line is, MA will be here next year and the next!

Sivad

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 05:16:38 pm »

And I donít think he will.
He doesnít have that Nolan trait where he will publicly slander the UA at every opportunity and try to burn the school to the ground on his way out.
Mike will take his many millions and go out like a gentleman, his contract honored by both sides.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 08:36:38 pm »

I wouldn't say it's hypocrisy as much as people just don't seem to grasp how difficult of a task a football coach at arkansas has.

We just don't make enough in state guys to be competitive year in and year out, and if you look at the best teams we've had at this school in the past 20 years, they are full of dynamic in state recruits. We will never be a powerhouse in football. Doesn't mean we can't win some.

But basketball is different, we could legit be good every year, and some years be very good. I appreciate what Mike has done getting us to a stable level and taking care of most of the off-court issues, but there comes a point where just making the tournament every 2 years isn't good enough. We have the kids in the state to build a roster, and we make a top tier recruit in basketball every couple of years. Not to mention Memphis, OKC/Tulsa, KC/St. Louis, and Texas all being right there.

I truly think we're a sleeping giant in basketball, not football. But we're fine I guess with a tournament appearance in bball, but not fine with 7-8 wins in football, which is exactly where we'll always be year in and year out.

I'm with you, I feel like a crazy person. But here we are. And again, I like Mike, but I was ready to move on in 2015-2016, and now I'm starting to get pretty bummed, because this team has a chance to be fairly special, but we can't get it together.
4-8 in football is like 13-18 in basketball and Anderson has only had one horrible year and it was 16-16

upperdeck_hawg

• Fear the Stache!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 08:51:38 pm »

He just needs his type of players

Section B

• The Dividend Collector
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 09:13:22 pm »

Football scenario on the bball court.  Nice guy.  Loves the kids.  Not much of a coach.  Unfortunate.

Ironhawg

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 10:56:40 pm »

Bottom line is, MA will be here next year and the next!

I think this is correct.  I also believe that, barring a really, really bad season or two, Mike will retire here.  Since he is only 58, that could be awhile.

bkjbearcat

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 11:05:09 pm »

Why the hypocrisy?

Agree. What frustrates me more is recruiting. In football Arkansas normally ranks 20 to 25. Most fans consider that an mediocre to bad in the SEC. While in basketball the 2018 class ranks somewhere from 21 to 26. Yet, many fans think a class ranked in the mid-twenties will be the saviors of the program.

A class with not one 5* player. A class with only one player in ESPN's top 100. These guys are going to be the saviors of Arkansas basketball? While LSU and Vandy of all schools has two 5* each coming to their schools. Those two schools seem to have great classes. Ours just seemed kind of mediocre.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:29:54 pm by bkjbearcat »

hobhog

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 11:11:28 pm »

I think this is correct.  I also believe that, barring a really, really bad season or two, Mike will retire here.  Since he is only 58, that could be awhile.

Because we are a SEC football school and no one cares about basketball? Why on earth would anyone think this is true? Why not just drop basketball and donate his salary to the needy? No reason to keep paying MA and make his 5 supporters happy.

hamsam

• The Home of REAL Football!
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 12:42:35 am »

He just needs his type of players

Right. The kind of players,that require no coaching. Then weíll be hell to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 07:33:06 am »

4-8 in football is like 13-18 in basketball and Anderson has only had one horrible year and it was 16-16

Excuse me, but Mike has had only one decent year since he's been here and I used the word decent.  He didn't win anything then.  He's not coaching the football team here, he's coaching the basketball team, and despite what a lot of the younger generation of posters think on this board, Arkansas used to be one of the top 5 schools in the nation in Basketball and can be again with the right Coach, Mike Anderson was never going to be that from the very beginning.  Look, I love Mike the man, I hate Mike the coach.  In today's world, when Arkansas ever does wise up and decides it's time to let Mike go, we'll be the butt of every sports show in the land for getting rid of him, "poor little Arkansas routine".  So many have forgotton the past and many are just to young to know, Arkansas can be a top flight program in Basketball and deservedly so year in and out again with a better coach.

bkjbearcat

• Senior
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 09:16:25 am »

Excuse me, but Mike has had only one decent year since he's been here and I used the word decent.  He didn't win anything then.  He's not coaching the football team here, he's coaching the basketball team, and despite what a lot of the younger generation of posters think on this board, Arkansas used to be one of the top 5 schools in the nation in Basketball and can be again with the right Coach, Mike Anderson was never going to be that from the very beginning.  Look, I love Mike the man, I hate Mike the coach.  In today's world, when Arkansas ever does wise up and decides it's time to let Mike go, we'll be the butt of every sports show in the land for getting rid of him, "poor little Arkansas routine".  So many have forgotton the past and many are just to young to know, Arkansas can be a top flight program in Basketball and deservedly so year in and out again with a better coach.

+1000. I personally hold the basketball program to a higher standard because of where they were. Many of the excuses for poor recruiting, coaching and teams in football just are not here in basketball. We've seen to many small private schools with half the resource of Arkansas make it to the Final Four in the last ten years. We have the facilities. We have the resources. We have the recruiting base. So why are we more Kansas State when Kansas?

Ironhawg

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 10:03:53 am »

Because we are a SEC football school and no one cares about basketball? Why on earth would anyone think this is true? Why not just drop basketball and donate his salary to the needy? No reason to keep paying MA and make his 5 supporters happy.

I didn't say this is what I want to happen, just what I believe will happen.  I supported Mike coming here, but he just isn't achieving what I thought he would.  Unfortunately the nickname Mediocre Mike sure seems to apply to his time at Arkansas.  I believe he is going to win just enough to stay employed then will ride off into the sunset.

raz1965

• Varsity
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 10:18:15 am »

To have such terrible coach an team, the NCAA has the Razorbacks as the 23rd ranked team in the nation according to RPI.  It has been a slow crawl but Mike is headed in the right direction ,  this next recruiting class with the last class will make the next step. Players are the one's that make it happen.

bkjbearcat

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 11:12:11 am »

To have such terrible coach an team, the NCAA has the Razorbacks as the 23rd ranked team in the nation according to RPI.  It has been a slow crawl but Mike is headed in the right direction ,  this next recruiting class with the last class will make the next step. Players are the one's that make it happen.

Same copy and paste quote for the last four years.  :puke:

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 11:17:21 am »

Why the hypocrisy?

Go back to the Fire Pelphrey threads and read what the folks defending CMA now were saying. Talk about moving the goalposts.

pignatious

• Hogvillian
  • The Arkansas Razorbacks
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2018, 11:24:00 am »

The University is supporting continued mediocrity by extending Mikeís contract. We will see at the end of the season whether or not that is the new ADís intention. Mike has had more than enough time to get this turned around. Either we are happy just treading water and getting paid, or we are committed to improving and trying to reach another level. Pretty clear choice to me.

raz1965

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 12:17:32 pm »

I don't think anybody is elated to this point, but we have seen much worse an can see hope ahead, progress is the measuring stick. Stats over the past 4 years say that Arkansas is now a above average program headed in the right direction so reverse is not needed as of today. Time will be the judge, if an when a change is needed I will certainly be in support of one, but for now I see plenty of hope on the way in players.

Ironhawg

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 12:18:10 pm »

I didn't say this is what I want to happen, just what I believe will happen.  I supported Mike coming here, but he just isn't achieving what I thought he would.  Unfortunately the nickname Mediocre Mike sure seems to apply to his time at Arkansas.  I believe he is going to win just enough to stay employed then will ride off into the sunset.

Sorry guys.  I let my pessimism leak out.  I think Mike is a good guy and a decent coach.  I have come to think he is not a very good recruiter or in-game coach.  I have come to believe that what we have gotten so far with his teams is about what we can expect going forward; decent, but nothing great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas