• 394,798 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you happy?  (Read 317 times)

pigture perfect

Are you happy?
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:49:41 am »

I am concerned for my cousin who has had 3 deployments in the last 8 years. He will probably do 1 more, or so he thinks. He has been in a lot of stuff. Definite signs of ptsd, at least to me.

He has shared with me some pretty dark things. He has said that he refuses to be a statistic. Heís returned to church and his pastor is helping him, as well as a chaplain, but he still needs prayer for both him and his family.

I know that we have several vets on this board as well as current military and I just want you to know how much you are appreciated and I donít want you to think you are alone. I donít want you to be the 1 every 22 minutes who attempts suicide. You can PM me if you need someone to just listen. I guess that is all.

The Chief

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Re: Are you happy?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 11:45:57 am »

Thanks, brother. If you need any advice on counseling your cousin, I can try to help. I've been in those dark places and God brought me through. I don't think I'll ever be that kid you knew ever again, but God has forged me into something that I think He needs.

I'll never pretend to understand God's will in my life, but I have learned to accept it. Perhaps trying to fight it out on my own was His way of showing me how dependent I truly am on Him.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

pigture perfect

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 06:44:24 pm »

Thanks Chief. I knew your grandparents and parents and know that their prayers have carried you at times. Good folks.

hogginbama

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 12:33:46 am »

To the OP - much appreciated. Those kind words and offer of an ear mean more to veterans than you realize. As a recent retiree of 29 yrs I get at least a phone call a week from former Soldiers who worked for me, with me and above just needing to have an ear. Taking the step to reach out to someone is one of the hardest things for a vet to do. For many years we had it drilled into us that we were the baddest SOBs around, nothing could stop us and to act otherwise was a sign of weakness. Those calls from others needing an ear have been a big assist to me, even though those guys don't know it. While on AD I was all Soldier and all family, no time for close friends.  When I retired I made a clean break from the Army, took a straight civilian job where a most try to get a job continuing to work in DoD jobs with the military. I thought that break would do me good, but it has been a struggle adjusting. Never thought I would miss the job like I do and being one to not talk about myself a ton, I find it hard to share thoughts and feelings that are impacting my daily life. I have always been one to do for others and put my needs/wants 2nd, and am now realizing that I have to make time for myself. In a way, those weekly calls from across the country, have been what I needed to keep that connection and clear my head without having to to feel like I am being a burden to others.

pigture perfect

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 12:54:38 am »

Thank you Bama. I miss my days as well sometime. I was in 7, but decided to get out when I did to save my marriage before things got too bad. Thank you for your service.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas