• 394,593 Topics
• 22,260 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you mind having Texas as an annual Thanksgiving rival if it was possible?  (Read 2858 times)

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

Simply not true, pretty much 100% of the Texass fans I talk to that were of age back in the day miss the Arkansas/Texass rivalry.  Now the younger generations don’t even know or care. 

Missing it is not the same as them thinking it is a top rivalry gone away.

Cinco de Hogo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Missing it is not the same as them thinking it is a top rivalry gone away.

I understand that OU and aTm are bigger rivals than Arkansas but we were clearly 3rd at one time and that’s not bad.  I’m sure is Hog Fans have a pecking order for rivals also.  Wouldn’t you say that even today when we play them it means something extra to both sides?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Ben

• Senior

I don't think Texas really sees Arkansas as a rival, but it would be cool for the older crowd.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!

I don't think Texas really sees Arkansas as a rival, but it would be cool for the older crowd.

I think everyone would enjoy playing Texas every year or even every once in a while in a home and home series. Probably not going to happen, but I think everyone would enjoy that addition to our OOC schedule.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

I understand that OU and aTm are bigger rivals than Arkansas but we were clearly 3rd at one time and that’s not bad.  I’m sure is Hog Fans have a pecking order for rivals also.  Wouldn’t you say that even today when we play them it means something extra to both sides?

Probably only to those that remember when it was a meaningful game in conference.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Semi-retired Eponymous Mod Accountability Manager

I hate the horns with a passion but that history is in the past. I could care less if we play them annually.

Agreed. I would much rather focus on beating current conference opponents than trying to nostalgically remanufacture a “rivalry” in which we’d need more than 30 straight wins to get to .500.

hawganatic

• Senior

Third on their list doesn't exactly make for a heated, blood boiling, I want to beat you more than anything else in the world type of rivalry...

Third in a rivalry list is more of a tune up game for their real rivals...

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.

Third on their list doesn't exactly make for a heated, blood boiling, I want to beat you more than anything else in the world type of rivalry...

Third in a rivalry list is more of a tune up game for their real rivals...

a true rivalry is that one game where if you go 1-11 and thats your only it numbs the pain, and if you go 11-1 and that is your only loss, it makes it feel like you went 0-12.

Hogtimes

Okay....this is gonna sound weird. Some of you will laugh. But here goes anyway.

There is a fluff movie called 'Man of the House' starring Tommy Lee Jones as a Texas Ranger guarding a group of Longhorn cheerleaders who've witnessed a crime.

Yes, it's kinda dumb. But I like Tommy Lee, so what're ya gonna do?

Now keep in mind...this is important....that the movie producers and crew had the FULL cooperation of the University of Texas.

There is a scene in that movie that is supposedly at a Longhorn football game and Tommy Lee tackles the mascot of the opposing team.

It was a Hog.

The crowd (of Horn fans) erupted in cheers.

They could have selected ANY opponent's mascot. Okie or TAMU or....whatever.

It was a Hog.

The production crew didn't make that choice, the University made that choice.

Yes, they still hate us. No, they won't ever admit it. Record or no record, this rivalry was very real and would be GREAT fun to rekindle.

Now....go ahead and scoff.

How do you tackle a "Sooner Schooner wagon and two horses"  or who wants to tackle a nice lovable  Collie......

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

How do you tackle a "Sooner Schooner wagon and two horses"  or who wants to tackle a nice lovable  Collie......

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/554083560378559601/

hawganatic

• Senior

a true rivalry is that one game where if you go 1-11 and thats your only it numbs the pain, and if you go 11-1 and that is your only loss, it makes it feel like you went 0-12.

Right, how do you get that only being third on somebody's list?

Hogtimes

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/554083560378559601/

Those stuffed looking ponies did not exist when the film you mentioned was made.  Also, OU never plays in Austin.    And what about tackling the  the beautiful Collie?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:47:54 pm by Hogtimes »

oldhawg

Those stuffed looking ponies did not exist when the film you mentioned was made.  Also, OU never plays in Austin.    And what about tackling the  the beautiful Collie?

Could have tackled a Horned Frog, or an Owl, or a Couger, or a Mustang, or knocked a Red Raider off his horse.  But tackling the Razorback was okay ---- all in the line of duty.

Steef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Meh. I just dont care nearly as much as you.

You have your theory...well, I guess you do...not sure what it is...I have mine.

Have a nice day.

HogPharmer

That's what I was thinking reading that post.

Unfortunately, I have to admit I saw that movie in theaters when it came out. When he tackled the Razorback mascot, everyone in the theater erupted in boos.

Hogtimes

Meh. I just dont care nearly as much as you.

You have your theory...well, I guess you do...not sure what it is...I have mine.

Have a nice day.

LOL..you  obviously care more than I do, since  I don't really care.  That is why I did not post on this thread, until you posted your "weird" theory....your words , not mine.  I  think you have to admit it was quite a stretch to use a small scene from that movie to try to say Texas  hates  Arkansas more than they do OU or A&M.

You invited us to scoff, so I did.

hawgwash

I realize this rivalry doesn't mean much to younger fans today.  But someone earlier was questioning why do older fans feel the way they do?

Here's some data using what I'll define as my formative years.  Partially because they actually were my formative years, and also because they help make my point.  I'll use 1959 (when I was 4) through 1977 (I was 22 and had just left the state for almost 25 years; in those pre-internet days it was almost impossible to follow the Hogs if you weren't living in Arkansas).

In those 19 seasons, Texas won 8 outright conference championships and 4 co-championships.  Arkansas won 3 outright championships and 4 co-championships.  All 4 of those co-championships were shared between Arkansas and Texas (In 1959 it also included TCU).  No other school had more than one championship in this 19 year period.  A&M, SMU, and Baylor each had one, and none of them were ever co-champions.  Besides TCU's co-championship in 1959, Houston and Texas Tech shared it in 1976.  That's it.

And this may be the most amazing stat.  In those 19 seasons, Arkansas and Texas both finished no worse than tied for 2nd  11 times.

I ask you, if over the last 19 seasons we could say the same thing about Arkansas and Bama, would we consider Bama a rival?  And would Bama consider us a rival?  Maybe not the same as Auburn, but I guarantee there would be a LOT of passion on both sides every time we played.

Just wanted to share with the younger fans some old timer perspective about this rivalry.

Steef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

LOL..you  obviously care more than I do, since  I don't really care.  That is why I did not post on this thread, until you posted your "weird" theory....your words , not mine. I  think you have to admit it was quite a stretch to use a small scene from that movie to try to say Texas  hates  Arkansas more than they do OU or A&M.

You invited us to scoff, so I did.

Actually, I did say it was a weird theory. So I admitted it before you asked me to.

I think my scenario is plausible. As are several other explanations.

I dont think your arguments dispel my theory.

Hogtimes

Actually, I did say it was a weird theory. So I admitted it before you asked me to.

I think my scenario is plausible. As are several other explanations.

I dont think your arguments dispel my theory.

If you actually believe Texas fans hate Arkansas more than they do OU or the Aggies,  I can't help you.   Good luck with your weird theory.

Steef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

If you actually believe Texas fans hate Arkansas more than they do OU or the Aggies,  I can't help you.   Good luck with your weird theory.

I dont remember saying "more". Or comparing at all.

Just said they care more than they admit.

But I'll take the luck. Thanks.

Hogtimes

I dont remember saying "more". Or comparing at all.

Just said they care more than they admit.

But I'll take the luck. Thanks.

Steef:  Reply No. 32.  Quote: "They hate us the most.  Which is as it should be"

redhogchilipepper

I would like to see Okie State. The new offense and Gundy’s would make for one heck of a game. As close as we are to them it would sell out for sure.

Didn’t check the game between OU is it that week?

Steef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Steef:  Reply No. 32.  Quote: "They hate us the most.  Which is as it should be"

LOL

Youre absolutely right. I firgot i said that. Apologies.

I was cutting up. But I still should have remembered.

Good call.

Hogtimes

LOL

Youre absolutely right. I firgot i said that. Apologies.

I was cutting up. But I still should have remembered.

Good call.

No problem...all in good fun.   
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas