• 394,770 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Luke Jones and Notre Dame  (Read 12233 times)

MavND1973

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Luke Jones and Notre Dame
« Reply #200 on: December 27, 2017, 07:12:42 pm »

Is he even catholic because going to a catholic school is alot different than going to PA and belonging to Fellowship Bible church where memorizing the bible and having having money will get you by.Trust me  once school starts and  has to  the pray the hail Mary knelling entire time  for the  rossary   and hear about confession before every game  and honesty he is going to go bonkers and want to come to Fayetteville .

This is just a stupid generalization. You've not attended one class at Notre Dame or ever set foot on the campus but want to throw this moronic crap out there. Sweet Jesus you are a DA.

AP85

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #201 on: December 27, 2017, 07:13:13 pm »

This is just stupid. You have absolutely no clue what the real world is all about.

I was raised to root for the Hogs, and at 44 years old I still do. I have a Hog tattooed on my leg and I've sent 3 of my children to the U of A, with another headed there in two years. I've donated to the University and I've bought season tickets for many years.

I also graduated from ND in 1996. It's real simple why I went there. My school was paid for and my family was not by any stretch wealthy. They gave the most in scholarships and a degree from Notre Dame (right or wrong) does open doors that one from the U of A does not. I wish it weren't true, but it is. It is considered more prestigious. This isn't me saying that U of A is not a good school. I certainly would not send my children there if it were. Academically, Notre Dame is generally just given higher consideration.

My entire time at Notre Dame I still rooted for the Hogs, but I also developed a love for Notre Dame and all the blessings I received from the school.

Knocking a young man who obviously made a decision he and his family put a lot of thought into is childish. Telling someone they can't respect, admire, or like a team and still be on this message board reeks of someone who needs to leave the trailer park and see the rest of the world.

Great post.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

MavND1973

• Band Nerd
« Reply #202 on: December 27, 2017, 07:15:25 pm »

2 in-staters flipped to other P5 programs in last month... Pitiful. Say what you will/attack me, but any kid that grows up in Arkansas and doesn't want to be a Hog wasn't raised right.

This is just a level of stupid that defies measurement.

ricepig

« Reply #203 on: December 27, 2017, 07:26:20 pm »

This is just stupid. You have absolutely no clue what the real world is all about.

I was raised to root for the Hogs, and at 44 years old I still do. I have a Hog tattooed on my leg and I've sent 3 of my children to the U of A, with another headed there in two years. I've donated to the University and I've bought season tickets for many years.

I also graduated from ND in 1996. It's real simple why I went there. My school was paid for and my family was not by any stretch wealthy. They gave the most in scholarships and a degree from Notre Dame (right or wrong) does open doors that one from the U of A does not. I wish it weren't true, but it is. It is considered more prestigious. This isn't me saying that U of A is not a good school. I certainly would not send my children there if it were. Academically, Notre Dame is generally just given higher consideration.

My entire time at Notre Dame I still rooted for the Hogs, but I also developed a love for Notre Dame and all the blessings I received from the school.

Knocking a young man who obviously made a decision he and his family put a lot of thought into is childish. Telling someone they can't respect, admire, or like a team and still be on this message board reeks of someone who needs to leave the trailer park and see the rest of the world.   

Just out of curiosity, do any of your bosses hold degrees from the UofA?

HogCzar1

« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2017, 07:28:41 pm »

Nothing guarantees success. However, a degree from Harvard, Yale or Stanford will open up doors not possible otherwise. It's just fact.

Maybe. But, those are most likely out of state.  I know a number of UA grads who work for Fortune 500 companies. Their UA degree was just as valuable as any from ND, Stanford, Yale, Duke, or any other school.

MavND1973

• Band Nerd
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2017, 07:34:09 pm »

Just out of curiosity, do any of your bosses hold degrees from the UofA?

No, I'm self-employed. However, my Girlfriend does and she claims to be the boss.

I have a pretty good idea where that question is leading, and I'll preemptively respond by saying this.....

I largely believe an education is for the most part, regardless of institution of higher learning, exactly what you put into it. I do also recognize that not everyone subscribes to that way of thinking and hence they place a greater emphasis on "Name" schools with a certain pedigree. As I stated in my previous post, I consider the U of A (and especially the Walton School of Business) to be top notch. I also just don't believe it gets the deserved credit or national recognition it deserves.

ricepig

« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2017, 07:39:01 pm »

No, I'm self-employed. However, my Girlfriend does and she claims to be the boss.

I have a pretty good idea where that question is leading, and I'll preemptively respond by saying this.....

I largely believe an education is for the most part, regardless of institution of higher learning, exactly what you put into it. I do also recognize that not everyone subscribes to that way of thinking and hence they place a greater emphasis on "Name" schools with a certain pedigree. As I stated in my previous post, I consider the U of A (and especially the Walton School of Business) to be top notch. I also just don't believe it gets the deserved credit or national recognition it deserves.

My only point was that where you received your degree isn't always the determining factor in your success. So, since you are self-employed, your ND degree really made no difference in your success, correct?

MavND1973

• Band Nerd
« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2017, 07:43:10 pm »

My only point was that where you received your degree isn't always the determining factor in your success. So, since you are self-employed, your ND degree really made no difference in your success, correct?
Correct and not correct. I'm certain I could have learned the same business, finance, and accoutning skills at any decent university. I have however, watched the Notre Dame diploma change the course of conversations, open networking doors, and make people more receptive to what I have to say. I guess in short, its a good marketing tool.

MavND1973

• Band Nerd
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2017, 07:45:13 pm »

I do agree that where you got your degree is no substitute for hard work, tenacity, dedication, self-discipline, and integrity. Those values go much further than a name on a diploma. That diploma may have opened doors or started conversations, but my effort and hard work had to keep them open.

Freebrd

• Varsity
« Reply #209 on: December 27, 2017, 07:48:42 pm »

Ya think 247 sports will increase his stars from 3 to 4 since signing with ND!!!!   :-\

ricepig

« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2017, 07:51:32 pm »

Correct and not correct. I'm certain I could have learned the same business, finance, and accoutning skills at any decent university. I have however, watched the Notre Dame diploma change the course of conversations, open networking doors, and make people more receptive to what I have to say. I guess in short, its a good marketing tool.

Really, I ask for results from people I hire to do work for me, not where they graduated from. Oh well, I could see where it might make a difference in the northeast, or maybe Chicago, I wouldn't think it was that influential in Arkansas. Anyway, it appears Luke has chosen a fine school, I can't wait to visit SB and watch us put a whoopin on the Irish!

195bc

« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2017, 08:12:00 pm »

Really, I ask for results from people I hire to do work for me, not where they graduated from. Oh well, I could see where it might make a difference in the northeast, or maybe Chicago, I wouldn't think it was that influential in Arkansas. Anyway, it appears Luke has chosen a fine school, I can't wait to visit SB and watch us put a whoopin on the Irish!

The “fraternity”of Notre Dame grads, and the school’s reputation, as a whole, will open more doors and provide more opportunities than U of A ever will, throughout the entire country. There is significantly more money in that group. Just look at the endowments. Arkansas’ is $1 billion. Notre Dame’s is almost $12 billion.

ricepig

« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2017, 08:16:05 pm »

The “fraternity”of Notre Dame grads, and the school’s reputation, as a whole, will open more doors and provide more opportunities than U of A ever will, throughout the entire country. There is significantly more money in that group. Just look at the endowments. Arkansas’ is $1 billion. Notre Dame’s is almost $12 billion.

Not in Arkansas, where most Arkansans tend to work. And they're just Catholics tithing to their church, err school, lol.

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2017, 08:18:07 pm »

Certain employers (white shoe investment banks, high end consulting, private equity) recruit out of ND, Ivy, etc. that would never hire a UofA grad. That is just the truth. Maybe the sample size of who you hire isn't a fair representation.

ricepig

« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2017, 08:24:03 pm »

Certain employers (white shoe investment banks, high end consulting, private equity) recruit out of ND, Ivy, etc. that would never hire a UofA grad. That is just the truth. Maybe the sample size of who you hire isn't a fair representation.

My son is a UofA graduate and works for one of them, maybe you don't know what you are talking about.

MavND1973

• Band Nerd
« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2017, 08:24:28 pm »

Not in Arkansas, where most Arkansans tend to work. And they're just Catholics tithing to their church, err school, lol.

No, they are alums donating to their school.

ricepig

« Reply #216 on: December 27, 2017, 08:25:34 pm »

No, they are alums donating to their school.

Sure.......I guess you didn't see the lol, as in a joke???

MavND1973

• Band Nerd
« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2017, 08:26:05 pm »

I think "never" is a grossly overstating it, but it is their primary recruiting ground.

MavND1973

• Band Nerd
« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2017, 08:29:16 pm »

No I didn't, both times I read it. My bad. I may be guilty of being pre-conditioned to the "Catholic" stereotypes I so often hear. Usually inaccurate and almost always offensive.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #219 on: December 27, 2017, 08:30:33 pm »

Nah he went to Notre Dame lol

MavND1973

• Band Nerd
« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2017, 08:33:18 pm »

Nah he went to Notre Dame lol

I'm probably not their most prized graduate. lol

ricepig

« Reply #221 on: December 27, 2017, 08:37:18 pm »

I'm probably not their most prized graduate. lol

You need to post more around here, we appreciate those with a sense of humor.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #222 on: December 27, 2017, 08:46:46 pm »

My son is a UofA graduate and works for one of them, maybe you don't know what you are talking about.
Me not knowing what I talk about is not a possibility. Which bank/consulting firm/private equity does your son work for?

ricepig

« Reply #223 on: December 27, 2017, 08:48:04 pm »

Me not knowing what I talk about is not a possibility. Which bank/consulting firm/private equity does your son work for?

One in Chicago.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #224 on: December 27, 2017, 09:07:30 pm »

One in Chicago.
That's a very specific answer.

MavND1973

• Band Nerd
« Reply #225 on: December 27, 2017, 09:09:47 pm »

I wasn't trying to be funny.

I know it must have been rough growing up with parents who were siblings, but don't project your fantasies onto my religion, my family, or my school.

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #226 on: December 27, 2017, 09:31:05 pm »

Guess this is the back-up plan.

Arkansas’ Dustin Fry reached out to Star City offensive lineman Jax Gasaway on Twitter Wednesday night and plans to see when the January contact period begins.

“He just told me he was going to come see me as soon as recruiting opens back up,” Gasaway said.

Fry was the offensive line coach at SMU under Arkansas Coach Chad Morris.

The NCAA contact period which allows college coaches to visit prospects off campus began Nov. 26. The dead period started Dec. 18 and will run through Jan. 11. The contact period resumes the next day.

AP85

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #227 on: December 27, 2017, 09:33:58 pm »

Guess this is the back-up plan.

Arkansas’ Dustin Fry reached out to Star City offensive lineman Jax Gasaway on Twitter Wednesday night and plans to see when the January contact period begins.

“He just told me he was going to come see me as soon as recruiting opens back up,” Gasaway said.

Fry was the offensive line coach at SMU under Arkansas Coach Chad Morris.

The NCAA contact period which allows college coaches to visit prospects off campus began Nov. 26. The dead period started Dec. 18 and will run through Jan. 11. The contact period resumes the next day.

He is a big kid.

RazorPiggie

« Reply #228 on: December 27, 2017, 09:36:17 pm »

Depends on where Mr Jones plans on living life after football. ND will open him up nationally but if he comes back to Arkansas it isn’t going to help him more than a degree and being a former player for the hogs would.

ricepig

« Reply #229 on: December 27, 2017, 09:41:51 pm »

That's a very specific answer.

Cool, where do you work?

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #230 on: December 27, 2017, 09:53:22 pm »

ricepig

« Reply #231 on: December 27, 2017, 10:01:47 pm »

Law firm.

I believe the retort is, "that's a very specific answer".

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #232 on: December 27, 2017, 10:04:17 pm »

If I read somewhere that the staff didn't go 100% bullrush on this kid I will be pissed.

I am prepared to be pissed.

===

Maybe ND really is about to return to the big time and I just haven't seen the proof yet.

Good luck to Jones.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #233 on: December 27, 2017, 10:05:00 pm »

Bunch of snowflakes.

He was committed to the hogs and then flipped to ND.  Off with his head.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #234 on: December 27, 2017, 10:06:34 pm »

I believe the retort is, "that's a very specific answer".
I never claimed my employer required an elite background. So not really relevant to the discussion.

tusked

« Reply #235 on: December 27, 2017, 10:10:21 pm »

Thanks to all the ND fans for coming onto the board and telling us all there reasons about how great you guys are and why it's so much better than AR.  Kisses to you.

ND is nothing but a poor mans USCw.

greasy_corner

« Reply #236 on: December 27, 2017, 10:12:11 pm »

Hogs/Miami then irish.

My god, you are me. 

When I was 12 yrs old in 1985. 

ricepig

« Reply #237 on: December 27, 2017, 10:25:14 pm »

I never claimed my employer required an elite background. So not really relevant to the discussion.

Nor did I, you made that erroneous claim.

sowmonella

• Who threw a pizza on my roof?
« Reply #238 on: December 27, 2017, 10:28:08 pm »

Thanks to all the ND fans for coming onto the board and telling us all there reasons about how great you guys are and why it's so much better than AR.  Kisses to you.

ND is nothing but a poor mans USCw.

100% Hog Fan here but your post is offensive and shows extreme ignorance.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #239 on: December 27, 2017, 10:39:28 pm »

Nor did I, you made that erroneous claim.
Maybe you should read your last few posts in this thread with a closer eye. You said your son is employed by one of the elite companies I listed with a U of A degree. I just asked which one.

tusked

« Reply #240 on: December 27, 2017, 10:39:34 pm »

100% Hog Fan here but your post is offensive and shows extreme ignorance.

hahahahahahahahahaha.  the truth is offensive and ignorant.  off your meds much.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #241 on: December 27, 2017, 11:53:10 pm »

I know there isn't much to do in Gary, IN (isn't that where ND is located :) ) but the Irish fans who've come here seem to have stirred up the locals.

I locked the thread so we don't wind up in some sort of timeout over involving politics, religion, and recruiting in the same thread.

Slightly off topic, how is it that root for Ivy League college but can't ever root for a private D1 college in anything? The Little Ivy League is even more interesting to me.

And, none of that last paragraph means a hill of beans.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas