• 393,861 Topics
• 22,228 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: So is the Gus thing real or not?  (Read 5348 times)

porkrindjimmy

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Re: So is the Gus thing real or not?
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2017, 10:17:18 am »

This type of mentality is why we can’t have nice things!! Norvell is one of the hottest names in football. Pelphrey was an experiment and Heath was a SLOW paced game which was never going to work, Heath was a political hire. Read up on Norvell he’s been coaching for 11 years.

Two words....

Lane Kiffin...

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

• Hogville.net
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2017, 10:19:34 am »

Reminds me of Josie Wales

Now you just have to figure out who is Josie.

I would suggest me...

Lol.

PRJ

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogfanmd

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2017, 10:23:49 am »

I would suggest me...

Lol.

PRJ

Apparently is wasn't Jeff long.
he got his Missouri boat ride

porkrindjimmy

• Hogville.net
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2017, 10:25:06 am »

Apparently is wasn't Jeff long.
he got his Missouri boat ride

Nope. Jeff got gutshot early in the process.

PRJ

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2017, 10:29:28 am »

And now you are saying something about being in appropriate with money?

Post this on MMQB and let them bash you for it....LOL.

I tried last week and was burned at the stake for suggesting unethical practices and Jeff Long in the same sentence.

PRJ

Unethical, nope, they've loaned money to lots. They paid Broyles $3.5m in 2014 for "speaking engagements", $400,000 in 2015. I just said that I hope they don't forget it, lol. And I would be willing to bet there were lots of jet rides undocumented.......

Scott7703

« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2017, 10:31:07 am »

Bullsh@t!!! He’s not coming. Your man crush on Gus is embarrassing.

No more embarrassing than your continued disputing without knowledge.

East Clintwood

« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2017, 10:35:22 am »

That could be very accurate....  He is definitely a HUGE gamble.

As opposed to a repeat of the Hootie years if we hire Gus.

I'd take my chances with Norvell.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2017, 10:36:13 am »

porkrindjimmy

• Hogville.net
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2017, 10:36:14 am »

Unethical, nope, they've loaned money to lots. They paid Broyles $3.5m in 2014 for "speaking engagements", $400,000 in 2015. I just said that I hope they don't forget it, lol. And I would be willing to bet there were lots of jet rides undocumented.......

Didn't I say something about jets?

What about setting 10 mil aside from the RF and claiming it was a donation for the great stadium expansion?

PRJ

hogsmash12

• Varsity
  • Code Red.
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2017, 10:39:16 am »

This is for Hawg Life....

https://youtu.be/plW6YgQuKeg

East Clintwood

« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2017, 10:41:10 am »

If we announce Gus on the 6th, the curse will be broken   reinforced.  Haha.

ftfy

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2017, 10:42:13 am »

Didn't I say something about jets?

What about setting 10 mil aside from the RF and claiming it was a donation for the great stadium expansion?

PRJ
They'd have to fire half the coaches up there for taking jet rides, maybe some admin and BOT members, at least the few that don't own one.

On the money, that was put forth early in the process. In fact, Long said that if the $40m in commitments were short, the athletic department was contributing $10m which they did for design, demolition, etc...

Ironhawg

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2017, 11:05:34 am »

I'very got really mixed feelings about Gus.  On the one hand, he is a proven commodity as an SEC level head coach.  He has been competitive at Auburn, but hasn't exactly set the world on fire considering the resources available to hIm at Auburn.  On the other hand I remember well the drama when Gus joined Houston Dale's staff.  I remember the fanbase splitting into Nutt supporters or Gus supporters and then the rest of us standing on the sidelines wondering what the heck was going on.  I am very much afraid that if the Gus Bus comes to Arkansas it will bring a fresh load of drama and fracturing of the fanbase with him.  Unless he wins, then I think the drama reduces considerably.  Until he doesn't win.

duckman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • outkicked my coverage
    • Shari Bales and Southbound
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2017, 11:07:22 am »

Are you doubting the Duck and the Moses?

I just said he was offered, didn't say he was coming....  He isn't my first choice but I would support him.

rtr

• Hogvillian
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2017, 11:07:48 am »

Before Gus beat GA last week his seat was smoking.  I am pretty sure had he lost to both GA and ALA he would have been fired and he knew it. If he has another bad year he is gone. I know what I would do if I were Gus, I would find another HC'ing job. It might not be Arkansas but I would leave Auburn, those fans are fickle. 
Being located in fertile recruiting grounds is not everything.  Since 1998 until today the Arkansas Auburn series record is 10-10. John L. Smith beat them down on the plains.  Arkansas should not denigrate themselves before Auburn but a lot on this board are doing so.  They need educating.

porkrindjimmy

• Hogville.net
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2017, 11:17:16 am »

Being located in fertile recruiting grounds is not everything.  Since 1998 until today the Arkansas Auburn series record is 10-10. John L. Smith beat them down on the plains.  Arkansas should not denigrate themselves before Auburn but a lot on this board are doing so.  They need educating.

Indeed....

PRJ

Hoggie17

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2017, 11:33:49 am »

Bullsh@t!!! He’s not coming. Your man crush on Gus is embarrassing.
Talk about man crush, your the biggest man crush of any poster, it's Mike Norvell. 

MemphisBossHog

« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2017, 11:38:56 am »

Wait around too long and plan b won't be around
this is for sure.  Norvell is going to get paid and get nice job in the process.  If Gus wants to come, then come on, but if he (Sexton) is just playing Ark, then move on and lock Norvell up.

As far as those who think Norvell would mean no defense, well Petrino wasnt known as a defensive coach either but in just 4 years, we had some fairly nice success.  Plus if we dangle $1M per year out there, I bet a pretty good DC could be signed to help Norvell.  Dont be shortsighted and dismiss Norvell just because he isnt Brent Venables or Wil Muschamp or Kirby Smart.  Norvell can recruit talent.  Defensive, offensive--TALENT and that is what we need.

ur

• The First Back to Back 7A Football State Champions
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2017, 11:44:57 am »

We will find out Sat nov 25. around 6:00 pm. If he loses it is a no brainer, he's coming. They won't offer him a bonus or extension or anything. If he wins, he will prob ask us if we can wait a week and can you match barner's new offer. Then if he wins the seccg he will ask the same thing (wait until jan 1). Then if he wins the playoff game he will again ask the same thing (wait until jan 8 ). Then if he wins the natty he will again ask the same thing. Smell what I'm smoking?
Welcome to Gussers are Bammers week! That's got to be a funky feeling.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2017, 11:47:01 am »

We will find out Sat nov 25. around 6:00 pm. If he loses it is a no brainer, he's coming. They won't offer him a bonus or extension or anything. If he wins, he will prob ask us if we can wait a week and can you match barner's new offer. Then if he wins the seccg he will ask the same thing. Then if he wins the playoff game he will again ask the same thing. Then if he wins the natty he will again ask the same thing. Smell what I'm smoking?
Welcome to Gussers are Bammers week! That's got to be a funky feeling.

Smells like a turd.......and we get left with some NAIA coach, lol......

Ironhawg

« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2017, 11:57:01 am »

This.  Offer him and tell him up front we need an answer now.  If he asks us to wait at all, we move on.  Keep letting him string us along is not good. 

ur

« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2017, 12:00:43 pm »

Youngsters are google searching NAIA about now.
Don't you know Finebaum will be stirring the Gus to Ark pot this week to mess up the auburn camp. He'll do Anything to help the bammers.

East Clintwood

« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2017, 12:42:33 pm »

I'very got really mixed feelings about Gus.  On the one hand, he is a proven commodity as an SEC level head coach.  He has been competitive at Auburn, but hasn't exactly set the world on fire considering the resources available to hIm at Auburn.  On the other hand I remember well the drama when Gus joined Houston Dale's staff.  I remember the fanbase splitting into Nutt supporters or Gus supporters and then the rest of us standing on the sidelines wondering what the heck was going on.  I am very much afraid that if the Gus Bus comes to Arkansas it will bring a fresh load of drama and fracturing of the fanbase with him.  Unless he wins, then I think the drama reduces considerably.  Until he doesn't win.

The drama is certainly there and it will be a real problem.  We start out with a divided fanbase and it will only grow more so.

My biggest concern is the recruiting side though.  He's had top 10 recruiting classes every year at Auburn and his on field results have been ok.  He's really struggled with his QB's though until this year, and even Stidem (sp?) doesn't fit all that well with Gus's offense. 

He's not going to have that kind of recruiting success here though.  Most of his recruits are signing with Auburn, not with Gus.  He pretty much has the personality of a fence post so he's not wowing too many recruits personally

I just think his 8  wins a year there are going to translate to 6.5 wins a years here.  We'll be right back to the Hootie level success/failure and we won't be able to get rid of him.

I'd much rather take a chance on a younger coach that can excite players and fans alike with his personality and drive.

Wooderson

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2017, 01:00:11 pm »

The drama is certainly there and it will be a real problem.  We start out with a divided fanbase and it will only grow more so.

My biggest concern is the recruiting side though.  He's had top 10 recruiting classes every year at Auburn and his on field results have been ok.  He's really struggled with his QB's though until this year, and even Stidem (sp?) doesn't fit all that well with Gus's offense. 

He's not going to have that kind of recruiting success here though.  Most of his recruits are signing with Auburn, not with Gus.  He pretty much has the personality of a fence post so he's not wowing too many recruits personally

I just think his 8  wins a year there are going to translate to 6.5 wins a years here.  We'll be right back to the Hootie level success/failure and we won't be able to get rid of him.

I'd much rather take a chance on a younger coach that can excite players and fans alike with his personality and drive.

Have you looked at Auburn's schedule compared to ours?  At least two guaranteed losses tougher every year.  Also, how much of a difference is there between top twenty recruiting classes and top 35?  It's not as much as you people would make it out to be.  If so, then why are we 10-10 against Auburn since 1998?  Answer that.  You won't because you have no answer. 

Piggie

• Varsity
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2017, 01:04:37 pm »

I think a lot of the division from that time has dissipated. Most of the anti-Gus bias on here is over his ability to make the Hogs a competitive program again, not over Nutt vs. Gus. I think the bottom line is that winning cures everything. If he can win an average of 8 games a year throwing in a 9 to 11 wins every four years or so, the fans should stay somewhat happy. 7 or less? The crying begins for another football messiah, and Gus will be packing his bags. Personally, I think he will be successful at Arkansas, and we should give him a shot if he commits immediately after the Iron Bowl. If not, I am intrigued by a Norvell possibility. 

exit followed by a boar

• Senior
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2017, 01:06:42 pm »

Have you looked at Auburn's schedule compared to ours?  At least two guaranteed losses tougher every year.  Also, how much of a difference is there between top twenty recruiting classes and top 35?  It's not as much as you people would make it out to be.  If so, then why are we 10-10 against Auburn since 1998?  Answer that.  You won't because you have no answer.
I am with you for the most part on the recruiting. I doubt anyone can reliably predict the difference in college performance between someone who is a 5.7 vs a 5.8 on Rivals or a 88.8 vs 86.7 on another service.  That said, I think Gus will do ok with his dress up five plays a million different ways offense. Saban himself has said it's almost impossible to defend, and Gus did his best work as an HC with Nick Marshall of all people, but I do think that elite defenders ARE hard to get and that Gus had a few at Auburn. He'll have fewer in Fayetteville.  If he can get a good DC or a succession of good DCs and increase the number of really good HS defenders, I'd feel a lot better about things.

EFBAB

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2017, 01:16:14 pm »

I think a lot of the division from that time has dissipated. Most of the anti-Gus bias on here is over his ability to make the Hogs a competitive program again, not over Nutt vs. Gus. I think the bottom line is that winning cures everything. If he can win an average of 8 games a year throwing in a 9 to 11 wins every four years or so, the fans should stay somewhat happy. 7 or less? The crying begins for another football messiah, and Gus will be packing his bags. Personally, I think he will be successful at Arkansas, and we should give him a shot if he commits immediately after the Iron Bowl. If not, I am intrigued by a Norvell possibility.

There are those who are afraid that he will become entrenched here because of his rabid group of followers, even if he doesn't perform, which is what we lived through with Nutt. There's also a fear by some that he's dirty and will land us on probation. Personally, I dislike the guy, but I think he'll win. I'll always support the Hogs regardless of who the coach is.

JONAS

« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2017, 01:18:47 pm »

I have been anti Gus since late 2006 because of the way that season ended.  I want Mike Norvell.  If it is Gus, I will support him.  I just want to win.  I had no problems with Bret except for not winning and getting blow out way too much. 

zerose

• Band Nerd
  • The porcine prognosticator
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2017, 01:40:41 pm »

Yes it is a done deal with Gus, but it's anyone's guess at this point who the next AD is.  I don't think that one is a done deal, yet.

Done and done.

My magic crystal 8-ball is less hazy now and it has shown me that Scanlon will be the AD and assuming an Alabama win in the Iron Bowl Gustav Malzahn will be back in Razorback red. Which reminds me... I sure hope we don't waste money on a search committee. I'd do it for free... or maybe free season tickets.

zerose

• Band Nerd
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2017, 01:46:31 pm »

I have been anti Gus since late 2006 because of the way that season ended.  I want Mike Norvell.  If it is Gus, I will support him.  I just want to win.  I had no problems with Bret except for not winning and getting blow out way too much.

Help me to understand the other side... what did Gus do exactly to upset you? This situation as I remember it was Mustain played and started in a few games and we won them all. Gus had his play calling duties removed so ole Nutters could run the god forsaken third down draw play every single time. Which if I remember correctly probably only worked twice during the Nutt tenure. Gus got screwed by Nutt. Nutt had a heck of an ego. The best thing I could see happen to heal the wound is to have Houston Dale be at the press conference when they introduce Gus as the next HC. It would be the right thing to do for the program. Maybe a handshake and pat on the back, perhaps a sound bite or two from Nutters.

Simple Swineman

• Hogvillian
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2017, 01:50:55 pm »

Help me to understand the other side... what did Gus do exactly to upset you? This situation as I remember it was Mustain played and started in a few games and we won them all. Gus had his play calling duties removed so ole Nutters could run the god forsaken third down draw play every single time. Which if I remember correctly probably only worked twice during the Nutt tenure. Gus got screwed by Nutt. Nutt had a heck of an ego. The best thing I could see happen to heal the wound is to have Houston Dale be at the press conference when they introduce Gus as the next HC. It would be the right thing to do for the program. Maybe a handshake and pat on the back, perhaps a sound bite or two from Nutters.

Would be nice. I do wish they would both bury the hatchet, at least publicly. They obviously both have big egos as almost all coaches do that make it to that level. And I don't know know the entire story, but I'm sure there is truth and blame on both sides. It would go a long way to put it all behind us if they would do some sort of public display of unity, but I doubt it ever happens.

Pig Worshipper

« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2017, 02:04:43 pm »

I would suggest me...

Lol.

PRJ
Any man named "Josie" would have to become an outlaw.

JONAS

« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2017, 02:05:25 pm »

I blame Nutt just as much or more than Gus. I just would rather have someone else coach the Razorbacks.

zerose

• Band Nerd
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2017, 02:05:56 pm »

Any man named "Josie" would have to become an outlaw.

Like a boy named Sue.

zerose

• Band Nerd
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2017, 02:09:07 pm »

I blame Nutt just as much or more than Gus. I just would rather have someone else coach the Razorbacks.

Agreed, he doesn't excite me like some of the other names, but we can't find anyone else with his xp. I would prefer an African American with stronger ties to texas... not with the last name Strong.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »

If Malzahn comes here, his possible Coaching Staff here may be the following.

Rhett Lashlee   Offensive Coordinator/QBs

Tim Horton   Running Backs

Kodi Burns   Wide Receivers

Barry Lunney, Jr.   Tight Ends

Herb Hand   Offensive Line

Paul Rhoads   Defensive Coordinator

Shiloh Christian High School Defensive Line Coach   Defensive Line

Vernon Hargreaves   Linebackers

Greg Brown   Secondary   Brown is Malzahn's current Secondary Coach at Auburn

Tony Perkis

• This is the 18th level of the PerkiSystem.
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2017, 02:17:07 pm »

Rhett Lashlee   Offensive Coordinator/QBs

Tim Horton   Running Backs

Kodi Burns   Wide Receivers

Barry Lunney, Jr.   Tight Ends

Herb Hand   Offensive Line

Paul Rhoads   Defensive Coordinator

Shiloh Christian High School Defensive Line Coach   Defensive Line

Vernon Hargreaves   Linebackers

Greg Brown   Secondary   Brown is Malzahn's current Secondary Coach at Auburn
I don't hate it.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2017, 02:19:25 pm »

I don't hate it.

So, you would be okay with Lashlee, Rhoads, and Hargreaves?

Wooderson

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2017, 02:22:39 pm »

So, you would be okay with Lashlee, Rhoads, and Hargreaves?

Yes looks good.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2017, 02:26:00 pm »

Yet it's perfectly okay with you for Moses to post something as fact and not back it up.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2017, 02:44:13 pm »

Yes looks good.

Rhoads and Hargreaves would be a continuation of our current defensive problems.

When Lashlee was Malzahn's OC at Auburn, there were games that Lashlee did reasonably well, and there were games that Lashlee was atrocious.

Malzahn seems to have a difficult relationship with his OCs.  Supposedly, Malzahn and Chip Lindsey have been at odds.

texas tush hog

« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2017, 02:53:14 pm »

Rhett Lashlee   Offensive Coordinator/QBs  check

Larry Porter Co-Offensive Co-ordinator check

Tim Horton   Running Backs  check

Kodi Burns   Tight ends  check

Michael Smith   Wide receivers   check

J.B. Grimes   Offensive Line  check

Kevin Steele  Defensive Coordinator  check

Brian Early Defensive Line Coach   Defensive Line check

Vernon Hargreaves   Linebackers    maybe

Greg Brown   Secondary   Brown is Malzahn's current Secondary Coach at Auburn  maybe

Wrong, the only coach Gus would keep is Michael Smith. Lil Barry and Lil Timmy are non compatible.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:05:48 pm by texas tush hog »

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2017, 02:59:43 pm »

Wrong, the only coach Gus would keep is Michael Smith. Lil Barry and Lil Timmy are non compatible.

The bigger question marks if Malzahn comes here would be who would Malzahn have as his Defensive Coordinator and his Defensive Line Coach.

Doubtful Kevin Steele and Rodney Garner would come here with Malzahn.

Scott7703

« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2017, 03:09:19 pm »

Yet it's perfectly okay with you for Moses to post something as fact and not back it up.

I know where Moses info is coming from. That's the difference. It isn't just his opinion.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2017, 03:14:49 pm »

I know where Moses info is coming from. That's the difference. It isn't just his opinion.

He still needs to back it up though, or it isn't valid.

ipigsooie

• Senior
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2017, 03:25:44 pm »

It's real and already done.  I don't know the timing, but know Gus has accepted.

This is a very concrete statement.  Either it's right or wrong.  No going back on this one saying, "the information I had" or "things changed." This is definitely an absolute statement that Gus has taken the job. I hope for your sake you are right. If not, it's your reputation.

Scott7703

« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2017, 03:28:51 pm »

He still needs to back it up though, or it isn't valid.

Up to him it he post his source.

Justagp

• Senior
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2017, 03:56:55 pm »

I am putting to rest that Auburn is a better more successful program than Arkansas.

One only has to look at how many games the other 13 SEC schools had won in the previous 5 years before 2013, from 2008 – 2012, to see how good the Arkansas football program was when Bielema took over:
Games Won Previous 5 Seasons by SEC Teams – 2008 – 2012
Alabama – 61
Florida – 51
LSU – 51
Georgia – 46
South Carolina – 45
Missouri – 41
Arkansas – 38
Auburn – 38
Texas A&M – 37
Mississippi State – 33
Ole Miss – 31
Tennessee – 28
Kentucky – 27
Vanderbilt – 26

As anyone can clearly see above Arkansas was tied with Auburn for 38 wins between 2008 and 2012 before Bret Bielema arrived in Fayetteville and that includes the 4 win Total Disaster Season under John L. Smith in 2012 at Arkansas after Bobby Petrino dalliance with the blonde on the motorcycle so when Bielema arrived in town to coach the Razorbacks he was taking on a pretty good Arkansas Football Program.

Don't let the years of CBB fool you, we are a sleeping giant.  The right coach can come in here and start something really special.

Good post.

VoleurDeDiamant

• Walk-On
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2017, 04:50:10 pm »

I just wanted to tell you all, good luck.  Gus is a stupid decision.

ur

« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2017, 04:50:44 pm »

It's real and already done.  I don't know the timing, but know Gus has accepted.
Gus to the AR. PTB: Hey guys, I know that I verbally accepted the job but I didn't realize that we would beat Georgia and Bama and have a clear shot to the nat. title. Can we wait until the middle of Jan. to make this formal because anything like this would really mess up the team mojo and jeopardize a chance at the title? Also, the barners are really excited since we beat both of them and have offered me a huge bonus and new contract so I hope you can match that. Also, since my contract states that I can't have discussions about a job without written notice to auburn, we have to act like we are doing all of this new in Jan. I know it will make y'all look stupid in dec. when everyone else is naming coaches and y'all are just sitting there twiddling your thumbs but it will be worth it. Talk to y'all in Jan., unless bama beats us this sat. then we're all good. Booom war eag...I mean hogs!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas