• 395,381 Topics
• 22,296 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Hawgon, EastexHawg, Jeff Anderson  (Read 7194 times)

WilsonHog

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Hawgon, EastexHawg, Jeff Anderson
« on: October 08, 2017, 07:32:32 pm »

I owe each of you an apology, an attaboy, an acknowledgement, whatever you want to call it. Likely a few other posters as well.

Five years ago you trashed the hiring of Bret Bielema, and I ridiculed you for it. Moderated your posts. Issued a few bans. I wanted the Bielema hire to work, and I purposely looked over the fact that the hire was misplaced; good resume, bad fit. Bielema's style of offense can work at places like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska - but not in the SEC, certainly not at Arkansas with him at the helm. I didn't want to admit it at the time, but it certainly looks like the spread concepts of Petrino, Leach, Briles, etc. gives us the better chance of success. We don't have the recruiting base or the national profile to sign enough athletes to make a more traditional approach work.

As for Jeff Long, I missed the boat on him as well. Great marketer. Very good bean counter. Lousy at negotiating coaching buyouts. I hope his next job is all that he wants it to be, I hope he gets it soon, and I hope his successor has Arkansas roots.

Bubba's Bruisers

Re: Hawgon, EastexHawg, Jeff Anderson
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 07:36:24 pm »

I was waiting for one of Wilson's multi-personality posts.  And this one is right on the money.  For now.

So Until next week...

Juuuuuuuust kidding.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Wants2Win

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:41:06 pm »

Wilson I forgive you for banning me....I just want better for this program and have all along.

PorkRinds

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 07:44:58 pm »

As if their heads weren’t big enough already...

shown006

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 07:47:34 pm »

I owe each of you an apology, an attaboy, an acknowledgement, whatever you want to call it. Likely a few other posters as well.

Five years ago you trashed the hiring of Bret Bielema, and I ridiculed you for it. Moderated your posts. Issued a few bans. I wanted the Bielema hire to work, and I purposely looked over the fact that the hire was misplaced; good resume, bad fit. Bielema's style of offense can work at places like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska - but not in the SEC, certainly not at Arkansas with him at the helm. I didn't want to admit it at the time, but it certainly looks like the spread concepts of Petrino, Leach, Briles, etc. gives us the better chance of success. We don't have the recruiting base or the national profile to sign enough athletes to make a more traditional approach work.

As for Jeff Long, I missed the boat on him as well. Great marketer. Very good bean counter. Lousy at negotiating coaching buyouts. I hope his next job is all that he wants it to be, I hope he gets it soon, and I hope his successor has Arkansas roots.

Decent post.

JOKERHOG

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 07:50:50 pm »

You banned some very good and correct posters

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 07:52:09 pm »

kumbaya .....  kumbaya

McKdaddy

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 07:52:55 pm »

By Tuesday will we still be able to criticize CBB? 

McKdaddy

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 07:53:31 pm »

I kid!! (sorta)

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 07:53:53 pm »

I got in trouble for panning the Bielema hire too.  Then, after 2014 and the 2015 finish, I thought I might have been wrong.  Now, the reasons I thought he was a bad fit have panned out.  It sucks.  I wish I had been wrong back then and we were riding high.  I wish you guys jumping us for thinking he was a bad hire had been right.  All we can do now is wait for the inevitable...together.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 07:55:32 pm »

Petrino offense not a spread.  Pro style offense.

https://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/3/5/4062684/bobby-petrino-profile-wku-arkansas-football

Bielema wanted to install pro offense too. Failed.

Eastex doubt of Bielema was fine.  The Petrino obsession was too much. 

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 07:55:47 pm »

Being turd is being a turd.

Being correct in hindsight doesn't excuse it.

Roaringboar

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 07:56:15 pm »

Welcome to the Non-Bielemers Association......We're always recruiting new members.....

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 07:57:48 pm »

I was waiting for one of Wilson's multi-personality posts.  And this one is right on the money.  For now.

So Until next week...

Juuuuuuuust kidding.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 07:58:38 pm »

Your stock just hit an all time high Wilson.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 08:01:20 pm »

You banned some very good and correct posters

Well, I do know I moderated based on my own biases.

Roaringboar

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 08:04:02 pm »

Well, I do know I moderated based on my own biases.

I'm sensing this is a bogus apolgoy for some reason simply because when he says "You posted some good and correct posters" rather than saying, "You're right, I did" You're saying, "Well, I do know I moderated on my own biases" or in other words "Whatever, I don't mean this crap. I'm right, you're wrong, but now there's too many fans who realize that Bielema isn't worth a crap so I'd better hop on the bandwagon before I get left behind".......

porkrindjimmy

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 08:24:25 pm »

Ahem....ummmm...

PRJ

SemperFi

• Kickin’ rocks & spreadin’ da hate according to FCJ
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 08:26:23 pm »

I fell for the Bielema hire as well. He promised my kind of football and I bit on it hook, line and sinker. I wanted this hire to work badly, so badly that I failed miserably to see the big picture...the how do we recruit that kind of player picture. I'm as pissed at myself as I am at Jeff Long for the hire. Hopefully, we'll see change at the end of season if not sooner.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 08:28:11 pm »

I was wrong. I thought he was a good hire. P5 head coaches just don't move. to get one, I thought was a smooth move by long. boy, how wrong I was.

I want both to be gone. start over. raising money, and managing the 40 million from the league, is a job most ad's can do.

Bebop

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 08:28:56 pm »

I gave him a fair chance until year three. I changed my mind after that year, in spite of the LSU and bowl win. I am of the theory that by year three one can tell if a coach is going to work or not, with some notable exceptions.

PorkRinds

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 08:33:43 pm »

Being turd is being a turd.

Being correct in hindsight doesn't excuse it.

Exactamundo.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 08:34:30 pm »

While quite a few of us weren't estatic over the hire of Bielema, we looked at what he had done at Wisconsin and hoped he could pull off the same thing here.  It just hasn't worked out for numerous reasons, and I think it is mainly because of how bullheaded he is.  He resists change, even though it clearly doesn't work.  He won't replace a quarterback when he's having a bad day.  He keeps wanting to grind out a three yards and cloud of dust type of game, and this year he doesn't even have an offensive line good enough to do that.....

What amazes me right now is everytime a runner or receiver makes a great play, they come right out of the game and a replacement comes in.  Why sub for a player that is hot and making great plays?  A blind man should know that isn't a good plan.  I think that's the real reason why this year's team has no rhythm to its offense.......

presidenthog

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 08:36:35 pm »

Petrino offense not a spread.  Pro style offense.

https://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/3/5/4062684/bobby-petrino-profile-wku-arkansas-football

Bielema wanted to install pro offense too. Failed.

Eastex doubt of Bielema was fine.  The Petrino obsession was too much.

Petrino was a power spread here. A spread team with some power concepts. He now runs primarily an RPO spread.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 08:38:20 pm »

Ahem....ummmm...

PRJ
Not even an honorable mention...

hassettsportsman

• Varsity
  • Official Hogville Lobster Expert
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 08:39:02 pm »

Let any Bielema/Long supporters make their case!  Holy Toledo...if we lose to Coastal Carolina, Bielema should be fired immediately.  Long will not have the fortitude to do so.  Thus, both will be gone after this season.  Neither one ever bought in to the Arkansas Way!  They both have gone to the SEC trough too often.  The new AD must have an Arkansas connection to restore faith.  The new head coach must be young and not a retread and be able to recruit where it counts...Texas and the Deep South.  There are several candidates for both positions who will garner support immediately and eliminate the negativity and bind the wounds of the Hog nation!  I'm expecting FOR SALE signs in the Long/Bielema front yards.  They are not one of us...make it two!   

porkrindjimmy

• Hogville.net
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 08:43:01 pm »

Not even an honorable mention...

Lol.....

Wilson didn't even invite me to the ceremony.

PRJ

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 08:43:22 pm »

KennyForAD

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2017, 08:44:38 pm »

As for Jeff Long, I missed the boat on him as well. Great marketer. Very good bean counter. Lousy at negotiaching buyouts. I hope his next job is all that he wants it to be, I hope he gets it soon, and I hope his successor has Arkansas roots.

No worries, brutha!  I've heard the moans of a thousand lost souls today, but 
... ... ... 
PRAISE THE LORD, IT IS A GREAT DAY, BECAUSE THIS DAY, WILSON SAW THE LIGHT! 

ballz2thewall

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 08:45:35 pm »

I gave him a fair chance until year three. I changed my mind after that year, in spite of the LSU and bowl win. I am of the theory that by year three one can tell if a coach is going to work or not, with some notable exceptions.

this was me, more or less.

by the third year all the stuff we've vomited out over the last 5 years was a recognizable pattern.

i forego examples here because they'd never end and have been beaten to death....

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2017, 08:47:56 pm »

I got in trouble for panning the Bielema hire too.  Then, after 2014 and the 2015 finish, I thought I might have been wrong.  Now, the reasons I thought he was a bad fit have panned out.  It sucks.  I wish I had been wrong back then and we were riding high.  I wish you guys jumping us for thinking he was a bad hire had been right.  All we can do now is wait for the inevitable...together.
^^This. Lot of posters caught flack for not lock stepping behind this hire, didn't matter if you use stats and other evidence to support your position why this was going to be a bad idea, you were labeled a "troll", bobby lover", and threatened with ban if you didn't shut up and get in line with the lock step behind the great CBB!!!!! I let it go and here we sit today...............

ballz2thewall

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 08:48:59 pm »

While quite a few of us weren't estatic over the hire of Bielema, we looked at what he had done at Wisconsin and hoped he could pull off the same thing here.  It just hasn't worked out for numerous reasons, and I think it is mainly because of how bullheaded he is.  He resists change, even though it clearly doesn't work.  He won't replace a quarterback when he's having a bad day.  He keeps wanting to grind out a three yards and cloud of dust type of game, and this year he doesn't even have an offensive line good enough to do that.....

What amazes me right now is everytime a runner or receiver makes a great play, they come right out of the game and a replacement comes in.  Why sub for a player that is hot and making great plays?  A blind man should know that isn't a good plan.  I think that's the real reason why this year's team has no rhythm to its offense.......

hell yes on the injured qb. remember how badly branden allen was hurt at missouri in the 2d quarter, and cheney loaded him up with constant passes?

examples of lousy gaming is abundant.

Porkchop#1

• Varsity
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 08:49:08 pm »

I was wrong. I thought he was a good hire. P5 head coaches just don't move. to get one, I thought was a smooth move by long. boy, how wrong I was.

I want both to be gone. start over. raising money, and managing the 40 million from the league, is a job most ad's can do.
Hey, me too Kevin...I'm guilty as all  get out.  I thought he could coach.

Wowzie....boy was I wrong on that one!

KennyForAD

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2017, 08:49:25 pm »

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2017, 08:49:37 pm »

Petrino was a power spread here. A spread team with some power concepts. He now runs primarily an RPO spread.

Tell Petrino.

RyanMallettsEgo

• See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2017, 08:50:00 pm »

Let any Bielema/Long supporters make their case!  Holy Toledo...if we lose to Coastal Carolina, Bielema should be fired immediately.  Long will not have the fortitude to do so.  Thus, both will be gone after this season.  Neither one ever bought in to the Arkansas Way!  They both have gone to the SEC trough too often.  The new AD must have an Arkansas connection to restore faith. The new head coach must be young and not a retread and be able to recruit where it counts...Texas and the Deep South.  There are several candidates for both positions who will garner support immediately and eliminate the negativity and bind the wounds of the Hog nation!  I'm expecting FOR SALE signs in the Long/Bielema front yards.  They are not one of us...make it two!

Not sure of where the majority of our current players are from, are you?

Hey Josey, it isn't 1865.

This overall agenda of this thread is extremely cringe-worthy.

KennyForAD

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2017, 08:53:37 pm »

Hey, me too Kevin...I'm guilty as all  get out.  I thought he could coach.

Wowzie....boy was I wrong on that one!

LOVE YOU.  THANK YOU!

Dirty

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2017, 08:55:32 pm »

So now we will go bet Alabama and the world will be right? 

KennyForAD

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2017, 09:03:02 pm »

Its a great day for the Kenny For AD Committee!   Thank you Wilson.  Love you!

Please allow me to celebrate a little, sir....

bkjbearcat

• Senior
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2017, 09:06:10 pm »

I started turning that year as well. But for me year one there were a few red flags that this wasn't going to be a good hire. Rutgers, Miss St and LSU were all winnable games. A better coach would of won one of those games. Perhaps two out of three. A good coach wouldn't of went 0 for the conference.

JaketheSnake

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2017, 09:06:30 pm »

I've held out hope even over the last week... but yesterday was embarrassing.  I've only turned off one other hog game this decade and I turned off the game yesterday.  Still think the guy is doing a lot right, but he needs to go. 

KennyForAD

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2017, 09:07:24 pm »

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2017, 09:08:04 pm »

I've held out hope even over the last week... but yesterday was embarrassing.  I've only turned off one other hog game this decade and I turned off the game yesterday.  Still think the guy is doing a lot right, but he needs to go. 
I turned it off too, when things got ugly.  Tired at getting mad and upset at this team.  I can do other things on a Saturday instead of watching us get slaughtered.

Mo_Better_Hogs

• DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2017, 09:09:30 pm »

With all due respect to Wilson and all the guys he's congratulating—isn't it a 50/50 proposition as to whether or not a coach will work out? Did they guess right based on a coin flip, or did they truly have some amazing insight into our program and Bielema? Just seems like a hollow victory, if that's how they feel. Now, if we hire Saban and they say he won't work at Arkansas, THEN I'll be impressed!

And let me add that I respect those guys' posts for the most part. I'll also add, I wasn't crazy about the Bielema hire, not because i was opposed to him, just didn't know anything about him. There was time I was thinking he could do it here, and that time has also passed.

farmhawg

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2017, 09:11:43 pm »

Yep, would have rather been wrong with a great program.

presidenthog

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2017, 09:12:56 pm »

Tell Petrino.

Why would I have to tell him that? He has not called his offense a power spread since he left. In fact after we fired him, there was articles claiming he was watching and taking notes of A&M's offense.

rzrbackramsfan

• "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2017, 09:13:26 pm »

No prob.  You just did what you thought was right.  I was all on the BB train until the of last season, gave him another chance for this season and jumped off with authority after TCU.

The hire of Bret was good, the contract extension was catastrophic.

farmhawg

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2017, 09:14:24 pm »

KennyForAD

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2017, 09:14:39 pm »

Welcome aboard, BRUTHA!  Let the wounds start healing!

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2017, 09:17:47 pm »

Why would I have to tell him that? He has not called his offense a power spread since he left. In fact after we fired him, there was articles claiming he was watching and taking notes of A&M's offense.

He wouldn't call that while here either.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas