• 9,926,331 Posts
• 399,245 Topics
• 22,889 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If Arkansas beat LSU and Florida in 06, do they go to the BCS title game?  (Read 1382 times)

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Based on rankings and who else won/lost, if Arkansas doesn't choke at the end of the 2006 season, do you think they would have made the BCS Title game vs Ohio St? How do you think they would have stacked up vs the Buckeyes?

Dumb ole famrboy

• Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.

If gold grew on a cotton plant - would gold be worth 80 cents a lb.?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hog Fan...DOH!

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.

Based on rankings and who else won/lost, if Arkansas doesn't choke at the end of the 2006 season, do you think they would have made the BCS Title game vs Ohio St? How do you think they would have stacked up vs the Buckeyes?

Yes.  And very well.  Florida destroyed OSU, and said plenty of SEC teams were tougher.  You think D-mac would have had a little chip on this shoulder, too?

LRrazorback

I remember a national pundit saying this very thing going into the lsu game. 
Think about that, HDN had us relevant. 4/5 years later we were relevant again and then JL makes stupid decisions and, we gone.

rhames

If they would have beat LSU the week before then yes.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!

I remember a national pundit saying this very thing going into the lsu game. 
Think about that, HDN had us relevant. 4/5 years later we were relevant again and then JL makes stupid decisions and, we gone.

HDN had a chance to do more, with more, and ended up doing less with more. I'll grant you that Petrino did a good coaching job and did more with less and really did a pretty good job of developing players, but HDN wasted opportunities with a better group of players. We should have achieved more during his tenure than we did.

And by the way, Petrino played his role in making stupid decisions as well.

Jean-Luc Pigard

• Bench Warmer

It's possible, but the media was pushing for an Ohio State/Michigan rematch that year, before Florida broke through.  I think that's what would've happened.  Arkansas would've finished #3 and played Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl.

The real question is, if there was a rematch that year, do we get a playoff system earlier than we did?

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"

Absolutely. That was not a good OSU team

hoggusamoungus

The BCS was a combination of polls and computer ratings.  That 50-14 shellacking by USC to start the season was hard for a lot of voters to forget.

LRrazorback

HDN had a chance to do more, with more, and ended up doing less with more. I'll grant you that Petrino did a good coaching job and did more with less and really did a pretty good job of developing players, but HDN wasted opportunities with a better group of players. We should have achieved more during his tenure than we did.

I agree with you about HDN but, he was just an average coach so that's what you get.
I actually was making a point, we can be relevant when the right people are in place. I think it was Friday or Thursday when I heard Bo Mattingly try to make the case, the AR job is decent but challenging, which can be said about any job. I'll say, with the right people in place it's a great job.

ALLVOL

No argument with your statement. But I do have a question. How did HDN get all the talent he got? I have never figured it out.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.

Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose

No argument with your statement. But I do have a question. How did HDN get all the talent he got? I have never figured it out.

He was a great used car salesman, according to one of his former Boise State players.

theFlyingHog

Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?
Nope. Just a little slower.

rtr

To answer the op:  Absolutely.

HogFoo

yes, Hogs ,i believe would have played for the championship had wr beat both lsu and florida.  But we would have had to have beaten them both.  Unfortunately for us, a lot of bad luck and of course Nutt never being able to get a punt returner to field a ball since marvin jackson back in 03'  i believe.  Our punt return was relegated to just having someone who could just  catch the ball.  Unfortunately for us, that someone was our starting bulldozer of a FB peyton hillis who got injured on punt return when he was hit on the thigh with a helmet, and being as how ole Tow truck never liked wearing thigh pads, was a big problem. I believe that happened in the s.carolina game, which we also lost our safety, at end of game when s.carolina was making a comeback and our safety who was also a world class sprinter for our track team, he tears his ACL on last play of game.. Of course lots of other factors played into effect, the infamous "book" where Mustain calls Hootie insane or whatever  was just releasing at this point. Which mitch played worse the closer the book came to release.  Which,  Dick came in and even tho he played decent still wasnt the downfield passer we had before the s.carolina game.

Of course we didnt realize how bad we'd miss those guys until lsu when we couldntbpass for shizz.  We had all the momentum until holiday runs that KR back for a TD. This is where we missed our safety who was also a sprinter foe our track team, he was replaced by a true frosh and that true frosh was not quick enough to close the edge when holiday went right by him for the TD.  That and of course our pass game was shizz at end of lsu game.  Of course we see where we missed our FB in lsu game too, and also where we missed our PR who was also FB,  in the florida game when he was replaced by reggie fish who muffes the punt that allowed florida to gain all the mojo and win the game!  Man, that sucked!  Quite a series of unfortunate events!   But yes, we should have playes for the title if we beat lsu and florida. 

Nutt was his own worst enemy tho.  He had the talent to win the title quite a few times. Back in 98' 99 in 03,  in 06-07, and 07'-08.  Had he Nutt just left Gus alone, he'd of won a title more than likely, they could have built on that with recruiting, did it again, built recruiting again, heck, Gus would have left after a few years anyways because of the success we would have had.  But, nap, nothing, it goes way it did and we got nothing.  We had the talent to play for title again under petrino if we just beat lsu.  Again not so lucky.  But for different reasons.

My post is all over the place. I know.  Nutts regime still kind of irks me.  Being so close still bothers me.  Those that think we cant get good enough talent here to win a title bother me.  Because we can.  I believe that we'll that within 3yrs we'll be back to wondering if we'll get picked for the playoffs!  I think morris will be a good enough coach and recruiter to get us where we all want to be! 

Post rant over.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose

People can say the SEC wasn't as tough then as it is now, particularly the west, but if Nutt had swallowed his pride and let Gus and Mitch do their thing, we may very well have won both of those games.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

Our program has had many what ifs over the last 20 years... 98.. what if stoerner doesn't fumble that ball and we run out the clock and beat Tennessee? What if Todd Latourette makes the FG the next week against Miss. State and we win that one?

2006... What if we beat florida in that SECCG?? 2010... What if Dennis Johnson doesn't get hurt against La Monroe, he plays against bama and we win? What if Ryan Mallett doesn't get hurt, plays at full strength against Auburn and we beat them? What if Scam Newton gets found out and removed as being eligible before the 2010 season?

2011... What if Garrett Ueckman doesn't die and the distraction and turmoil surrounding his death isn't there? Do we beat LSU? A bunch of unknown close calls.

As miserable as those close calls have made me over the years, I'd rather be that close than where we have been the last 6 years. I want to be in those situations again. Hopefully Morris gets us there again.

31to6

The answer is NO. The BCS game would have been Michigan vs. OSU. That loss to USC to start the season compared to Michigans 3pt loss to undefeated #1 in the horseshoe would have been pounded by the sports press and the polls would have ensured a “rematch”.

Hog fans would have screamed to high heaven, but that is how it would have gone down. And, really, if you get blown out by a 2-loss team at home, do you really have much of a leg to stand on?

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

Yes but Marc Crules insured we did not beat Fla.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

I thought you would say “if Lee hadn’t surrendered to Grant”..................

hoggusamoungus

That was a regular season game in 2009, not the 2006 SEC championship game.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!

If your aunt had nuts, she'd be your uncle. 

I'll say it...unless we are a CLEAR cut shoe in for any sort of "selection process," Arkansas will always struggle to get the nod, because we're a small state.  I know it's never popular to say it here on HV, but most people couldn't tell you where we are on the US map.  They just say..."Isn't that close to Texas?"   ;D

That 09 Fla game was the most blatant example of ref injustice I've ever seen in my sporting life.  For those who have never watched the detailed video of all of the obvious examples of them trying hard to ensure Fla would win, then you should watch.  Or..if you suffer from low blood pressure, it's sure to raise it.   :-[ 

popcornhog

Lol. WTH kind of question is this.

Of course we would’ve.

We’d have made the playoffs last year at 11-1 with an SECCG win, too.

rtr

Our program has had many what ifs over the last 20 years... 98.. what if stoerner doesn't fumble that ball and we run out the clock and beat Tennessee? What if Todd Latourette makes the FG the next week against Miss. State and we win that one?

2006... What if we beat florida in that SECCG?? 2010... What if Dennis Johnson doesn't get hurt against La Monroe, he plays against bama and we win? What if Ryan Mallett doesn't get hurt, plays at full strength against Auburn and we beat them? What if Scam Newton gets found out and removed as being eligible before the 2010 season?

2011... What if Garrett Ueckman doesn't die and the distraction and turmoil surrounding his death isn't there? Do we beat LSU? A bunch of unknown close calls.

As miserable as those close calls have made me over the years, I'd rather be that close than where we have been the last 6 years. I want to be in those situations again. Hopefully Morris gets us there again.
I agree for the most part but Todd Latourette was suspened for the Mississippi St. game for picking up a DWI the previous weekend. I totally agree on Garrett Ueckman, CBP seemed to lose it a bit after that tragedy.

(notOM)Rebel123

....if Cornelius Jackson was able to make the open field tackle on Earl Campbell in the 1977 Texas game would we have won the National Title? What if the refs called the trip vs the walk on US Reed vs Indiana State? How about the pass interference call on Nathan Jones vs SMU? What if Lawrence Moten hadn’t called timeout for Syracuse in 1995?
Some of these off-season threads are just....Geez.
Now get off of my lawn.  ;)

scaldedhog

• Varsity
  • I'M on the GUS BUS!

If my aunt had cashews she’d be my uncle.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!

....if Cornelius Jackson was able to make the open field tackle on Earl Campbell in the 1977 Texas game would we have won the National Title? What if the refs called the trip vs the walk on US Reed vs Indiana State? How about the pass interference call on Nathan Jones vs SMU? What if Lawrence Moten hadn’t called timeout for Syracuse in 1995?
Some of these off-season threads are just....Geez.
Now get off of my lawn.  ;)

You have to admit...it ain't easy being a Hog fan at times.  We have lost due to some bizarre circumstances over the years, and you outlined a few of them.  It's gotten bad enough that at times, I feel like we're Vanderbilt 2.0.  They have the ability to lose games even when it appears it's impossible. 

That's why it felt so good to beat Ole Miss out of something meaningful a few years back with the HH lateral play.  FINALLY we were the team that got lucky and won at the end.  Sadly...if that was against FLA or Bama, we would have seen yellow littering the field, and we would have had at least three penalties called on us, negating the play.  And if that didn't work...they would have found a way to screw us out of the conversion.  Call me a conspiracy theorist...but I've just seen too many examples.  We darn near have to blow those two teams out to have a prayer of winning.   :-[   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas