• 396,121 Topics
• 22,372 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arkansas mens' sports in SEC.  (Read 3469 times)

Cinco de Hogo

Re: Arkansas mens' sports in SEC.
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2018, 03:18:16 pm »

For those saying there are teams doing more with less talent, are they doing against the talent faced in the sec week in and week out in football. That is the problem with football recruiting. The Hogs are usually around 25th in recruiting BUT THAT IS ONLY ABOUT 10TH IN THE SEC.

In basketball, like it or not all that really matters anymore is the NCAAT. People measure your program on if you make the nccat, how often you make it and what you do when you get there.

As for baseball and the rest, so few care about those that they just do not move the needle.

WTH does that even mean? Committed to winning? Are you saying the players have not wanted to win? The coaches?

Let me guess, if they just want it more they will win, right?

Not arguing you point but you know we could have gotten better coaches a few times.  We FINALLY tried this time and failed because we were habitually six years too late.

zeke_in_kc

• Senior
  • Called it right from "jump."
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2018, 04:53:43 pm »

Dude, stop.  I mean I was a fan of BP too, but none of his Razorback teams would have won a NC this year.

Or any going back to BYU.

TRUTH: There is no historical reason to expect us to be SEC relevant.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

AirWarren

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2018, 05:11:44 pm »

Or any going back to BYU.

TRUTH: There is no historical reason to expect us to be SEC relevant.

Sad but true. We have never been a factor in the SEC.

okrazorback

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2018, 07:47:49 pm »

Say what you want. What we need is a good coach. Maybe we have him But if he is good we'll probably  find a reason to fire him.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2018, 07:49:51 pm »

Sad but true. We have never been a factor in the SEC.

Yes we have.

Freebrd

• Varsity
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2018, 08:04:17 pm »

Arkansas joined the SEC in 1991 in all sports but football, and football in 1992.

If you go with 1991 as the join date, that's 27 years.

If you go go with the 1992 join date for football, that's 26 years.

Over that time period, the football, basketball and baseball teams have combined to win exactly 1 SEC title game.

That was the basketball team in 2000, or 18 years ago

Numbers. Do. Not. Lie.

That is what you should expect of Razorback football, baseball and basketball combined.

One SEC title every 27 or 26 years.

woo pigs, etc.
One title in a quarter of a century should be enough historical data to prove Arkansas needs to be in the BIG XII. 

Hawghiggs

« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2018, 09:35:59 pm »

One title in a quarter of a century should be enough historical data to prove Arkansas needs to be in the BIG XII. 

I don't think that the Big 12 is the correct place. The Big 12 can disband in 6 seasons. So forming a new conference with some of those programs might be a good idea.

hawgmasta

• Hogvillian
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2018, 10:21:24 pm »

The basketball and baseball sec title games are mostly irrelevant. It’s all about the regular and post season.

Six teams have won the sec title in football since 1992. So there’s eight other teams in the same boat as us.

WaltonCollege

• Senior
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2018, 10:26:30 pm »

Well, 40+ National championships ranks #1 in the SEC and in the top 4 in the NATION.  No other SEC school is even close to what Arkansas has done.

Bama is shivering in fear at our 40 track ‘ships? Get real. Perception is reality, stick to sports that people care about not the PC bull.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2018, 10:43:00 pm »

Bama is shivering in fear at our 40 track ‘ships? Get real. Perception is reality, stick to sports that people care about not the PC bull.

Bang

oldhawg

« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2018, 12:01:05 am »

Reference overall football records:

Arkansas 1958 - 1989 (31 years): 259 - 96 - 8
Clemson 1952 - 1983 (31 years):  179 - 136 -9

Arkansas 1993 - 2017 (24 years): 166 - 134 - 1
Clemson 1993 - 2017 (24 years):  200 - 104

I am struck by the similarity in records of the two programs, just in reverse.  Clemson has successfully moved into the 21st century, while Arkansas has regressed.  Leadership issues?

Although we can often use statistics to support our opinions, I am still of the opinion that long term, Arkansas can make the same type of turn around that Clemson did ---- with the appropriate leadership.

HogFoo

« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2018, 12:29:20 am »

Arkansas joined the SEC in 1991 in all sports but football, and football in 1992.

If you go with 1991 as the join date, that's 27 years.

If you go go with the 1992 join date for football, that's 26 years.

Over that time period, the football, basketball and baseball teams have combined to win exactly 1 SEC title game.

That was the basketball team in 2000, or 18 years ago

Numbers. Do. Not. Lie.

That is what you should expect of Razorback football, baseball and basketball combined.

One SEC title every 27 or 26 years.

woo pigs, etc.
yes, but, you say sports.  Did you purposely leave out the track team to try to wade in pity?

How many times has the Hogs played in the title game tho?  That to me would also be a very important aspect.  I do know that, while we've not won, and that sucks, we've played in the title games quite a few times.  And track has won it nearly ever year.  Just saying.  I'm 2006 the Hogs were the only SEC team to EVER play in the conf. Champ game in football, basketball, and baseball!  Only team to EVER do it.  We didn't win those games, but making it an achievement no one else has did in the history of the SEC.  Yes, it'd be good to win the conf. Championship,  but we're doing ok.  Basketball is on an uptick.  Baseball is on constant uptick, and I believe football will be back.

While you did mention Petrinos best year we finished 3rd, that was also the year that had we finished off lsu, who played for the title, we would have played Bama for the title. It really doesn't matter if ya win conf. Or not. It didn't that year.

I know some are being downers cuz the basketball team has lost a couple games on the road.  The ones upset must be the ones who forgot what everyone originally thought would be the case for this team.  That it would have some losses early and by mid season would gell and really come on towards the end of the season.  Some got their hopes set really high when we won tough games early.  Some also forget the SEC this year is probably the toughest it's been in 10yrs or more.  I'm not worried about it.  As long as we can win at home, by mid season I think the road games will be won too!   

Football, watch and see, but, we are going to have a great product for everyone to enjoy.  I predict by year 3 or 4 we'll be as successful as any year Petrino was here!

Enough with the oh woe is me threads btw.

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2018, 04:08:04 am »

Reference overall football records:

Arkansas 1958 - 1989 (31 years): 259 - 96 - 8
Clemson 1952 - 1983 (31 years):  179 - 136 -9

Arkansas 1993 - 2017 (24 years): 166 - 134 - 1
Clemson 1993 - 2017 (24 years):  200 - 104

I am struck by the similarity in records of the two programs, just in reverse.  Clemson has successfully moved into the 21st century, while Arkansas has regressed.  Leadership issues?

Although we can often use statistics to support our opinions, I am still of the opinion that long term, Arkansas can make the same type of turn around that Clemson did ---- with the appropriate leadership.

We changed conferences. We can't run with the big dogs.

Occams Razorback

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2018, 11:08:35 am »

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please reconsider any Big 12 talk

If it were all Texas schools and maybe OU and OSU, we could make it fit - however, hell no to KU, Iowa State and KSU - we are Southerners damnit

For the bajillionth time, we are not Midwesterners

If you consider all sports, we outrank every other school in the whole SEC at the moment (Learfield)  - does that not show that we are more than competitive?

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2018, 06:02:32 am »

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please reconsider any Big 12 talk

If it were all Texas schools and maybe OU and OSU, we could make it fit - however, hell no to KU, Iowa State and KSU - we are Southerners damnit

For the bajillionth time, we are not Midwesterners

If you consider all sports, we outrank every other school in the whole SEC at the moment (Learfield)  - does that not show that we are more than competitive?

Football is all that matters to the men who wear boot cut wranglers.  Everybody else wears them skinny leggings!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas