• 394,651 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arkansas Razorback RPI Numbers - A longitudinal view over the 16-17 season **  (Read 3325 times)

sevenof400

Since I've switched to the published CBS ratings/rankings, I'll track their RPI for Arkansas here:

Date                 RPI:
20 Dec              25 *
21 Dec              23 *
22 Dec              19 *
24 Dec              16 *
28 Dec              18 *
29 Dec              10 *
30 Dec              42
31 Dec              43
  1 Jan              41
* RPI number from ESPN

Arkansas Razorbacks RPI by Opponent as of 01012017
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:31:37 am by sevenof400 »

HawgnCorona

Re: Arkansas Razorback RPI Numbers - A longitudinal view over the 16-17 season
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 12:36:11 pm »

Seven if you are going to keep it updated periodically...maybe the Mods will tack it up top?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

sevenof400

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 08:11:39 am »

nm.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:04:33 am by sevenof400 »

sevenof400

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:44:39 pm »

A slight change in the positive today - but in what should be considered good news, Ft. Wayne has moved into the Top 100.  If they can stay there, or inch up even further that will help. 

Texas A&M, Georgia and Oklahoma State also break into the Top 50. 

sevenof400

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 02:59:15 pm »

On the plus side, LSU's numbers move up - but still not yet crossing into the top 50.  All other moves are fairly inconsequential.

Just to reiterate what has been said elsewhere, the Texas win (while always pleasing) is not have much of a positive effect on the RPI. 

On the negative side, the Non Conf SOS and RPI slide a bit.

sevenof400

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 07:08:29 pm »

A two position RPI jump is nice but there is still the matter of the lousy (no other way to put it) SOS numbers. 

Georgia's RPI trending up is good though.

sevenof400

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 09:00:16 am »

The value of winning continues to be illustrated as Arkansas' RPI number climbs to 19 today.  However, the albatross that is the weakness of the non conference schedule still hands like a specter overhead.  But...the specter can be avoided by winning all remaining OOC games. 

Alabama helps Arkansas by beating Arkansas State - not often that sentence works but today it does as Alabama moves up into the Top 100 (which helps the RPI for Arkansas...)

Cmheinley

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 07:51:39 am »

Jumped up two more spots to #17!

sevenof400

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 08:17:38 am »

That may be correct Cmheinley, but as I write this, something is clearly wrong with the RPI numbers on ESPN.  Looks like whoever is in charge of loading the numbers may have consumed too much cough syrup this morning. 

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 08:26:34 am »

That may be correct Cmheinley, but as I write this, something is clearly wrong with the RPI numbers on ESPN.  Looks like whoever is in charge of loading the numbers may have consumed too much cough syrup this morning.

John Winger is in charge of that.

HoopS

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 08:45:50 am »

Our schedule is just fine.

sevenof400

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 08:48:58 am »

Our schedule is just fine.

Not when everyone has an RPI of 0!

sevenof400

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 08:50:08 am »

John Winger is in charge of that.

I can't sneak any movie reference past you, O dean of the cinema!

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 09:05:55 am »

I can't sneak any movie reference past you, O dean of the cinema!

If I miss one, I get the Aunt Jemima treatment...

sevenof400

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 09:22:42 am »

You are NOT P.J. Soles.   >:( >:( >:( >:(

As an aside, P.J. Soles is now 66 years old.  My God, where has the time gone....  :'(

hawgfan4life

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 09:47:04 am »

Fans keep saying our schedule was so pitiful.  Absolutely not true.  They were decent teams for the most part and we have accomplished more from this than splitting wins and losses against top teams.

Where was our RPI before the season and where is it now? What is our overall record?  Are we going into the next 9 game brutal stretch of the schedule with some chemistry and confidence?

HoopS

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 10:50:23 am »

Not when everyone has an RPI of 0!
what does that mean

davril98

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 10:54:47 am »

Barnicky?!  He owes me money!

sevenof400

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 11:03:07 am »

Fans keep saying our schedule was so pitiful.  Absolutely not true.  They were decent teams for the most part and we have accomplished more from this than splitting wins and losses against top teams.

This is part of the reason I wanted to start this thread - so we could have a trail of RPI and SOS numbers upon which to base various points on this issue. 

To this point in the season, the SOS numbers say the Razorback schedule is about the 150th best schedule, the RPI of the Razorback's OOC opponents is about 200.  At this point in time, the fact that the team is 11-1 is great, but you really can't conclude much about how good this team is (or is not) because of the weak schedule they have played. 

This does NOT mean the Minnesota, UT Arlington, and Houston games were poor.  In fact, the RPI numbers suggest these are quality opponents.  Oklahoma State is likely to be in this group as well.

Sam Houston St and Fort Wayne are in a group between and assuming their RPI numbers finish about where they are now, while they won't be high quality wins, they will still be wins over teams in the Top 100.   

But there is no defense for the presence of so many cupcakes on the Razorback schedule either - Souther Illinois, Mount St. Mary, Stephen F. Austin, Austin Peay, and North Florida all with RPI's at 150 (or worse - far worse in some cases).

OOC Summary:
1 game against teams in the Top 10
3 games against teams in the Top 50 (I'm counting Houston here)
2 games against teams in the Top 100
2 games against teams in the Top 125
5 games against teams at or below 150 (including three at 250 or below)

The above observations are made from the standpoint of preparing a team for the NCAA tournament, with a goal of securing as high a seed as possible for the tournament.  In other threads, some have made the observation this team needed a schedule like it has this year to gel.  Maybe this is accurate and turns out to be the case - we shall see. 

Maybe pitiful is too strong a term - inadequate? pedestrian? below average?   

sevenof400

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 11:03:55 am »

You're into the proper spirit! 

Boom-chuck a luck a luck a !

sevenof400

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 11:07:42 am »

what does that mean

The RPI numbers on ESPN are currently not.  They have ceased to exist.  They are no more.

....well, maybe they're just stunned... 

sevenof400

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 09:04:56 pm »

Please tell me you aren't checking out the General's closets.....

sevenof400

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 09:05:38 pm »

Whoever was responsible for the RPI numbers at ESPN has apparently called it a day so it may be awhile before this gets fixed...

sevenof400

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 07:40:18 am »

Well, the numbers are back and assuming they are correct, the news is trending toward the positive.  For today:
  • The best news is Tennessee has moved up to a Top 100 team, thus helping the overall conference measures and Arkansas' RPT number.
  • Also, it is worth noting that when I started tracking these numbers a few days ago, Arkansas' SOS numbers were around the mid 160's.  Today, they are now in the low 110's.  While that still is far too low for a major conference basketball team, it is trending upward which suggests the OOC teams Arkansas has played are improving.  If that trend continues, the drag on Arkansas' RPI rating will be lessened over time.

I think it is worth noting that as of today, the SEC is currently holds the 5th best conference RPI according to conference rating numbers available on CBS Sports at http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/conference

Razorod

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2016, 08:22:55 am »

Another interesting piece to the update is that they are now projecting the SEC to receive six bids. That should mean we go dancing.

poloprince

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 03:36:46 pm »

UCLA sos is over 200, so I'll take 110

sevenof400

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 04:32:00 pm »

UCLA sos is over 200, so I'll take 110

Let's look closer:

UCLA Overall as of 12242016

UCLA by opponent as of 12242016

Obviously the Kentucky win is huge for UCLA but the rest of their OOC schedule hasn't been all that strong. It should also be noted that the Pac 12 (as a conference) is one spot behind the SEC (as a conference) on the conference RPI measure. 

sevenof400

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 03:35:15 pm »

Finally an update on the RPI numbers, but no significant change really. 

The fun should start as conference play gets underway.

sevenof400

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 02:39:50 pm »

Almost every measure trending downward today, highlighted by Texas and Minnesota losses (although Texas' was certainly worse). 

But of even higher concern is this - all of Arkansas' wins currently in the Top 51-100 are in the bottom of the Top 100 and the wins in the 101-150 group are in about the same condition. 

Hard to understand the excitement expressed with respect to these wins in a recent tweet about the Hogs wins being Top 100 and Top 150 because the overall quality of these wins weren't all that high to begin with - and they are degrading now.  Unless some of these teams right the ship (and soon), Arkansas is going to have to achieve that many more conference wins to make the tournament. 

Arkansas must improve its OOC schedule next year. 

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 03:21:41 pm »

The only "excitement" is that the athletic department finally learned how to manipulate the RPI by scheduling a bunch of mid-level opponents and minimizing exposure to the awful conferences.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 04:00:17 pm »

Almost every measure trending downward today, highlighted by Texas and Minnesota losses (although Texas' was certainly worse). 

But of even higher concern is this - all of Arkansas' wins currently in the Top 51-100 are in the bottom of the Top 100 and the wins in the 101-150 group are in about the same condition. 

Hard to understand the excitement expressed with respect to these wins in a recent tweet about the Hogs wins being Top 100 and Top 150 because the overall quality of these wins weren't all that high to begin with - and they are degrading now.  Unless some of these teams right the ship (and soon), Arkansas is going to have to achieve that many more conference wins to make the tournament. 

Arkansas must improve its OOC schedule next year.

PR/propaganda which is what they should do. 

Texas has let us down. 

razorhead94

• Vintage Hog
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 05:10:01 pm »

The only "excitement" is that the athletic department finally learned how to manipulate the RPI by scheduling a bunch of mid-level opponents and minimizing exposure to the awful conferences.

Or an attempt by the SEC office to schedule better and this is the smartest way to do it.  They have a hand in it as well.  When you have a football oriented conference you gotta start somewhere with the league as a whole.  It's been a while since Arkansas can carry its own weight.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:22:30 pm by razorhead94 »

HoopS

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 08:32:57 pm »

Houston just whipped UConn. Although UConn is struggling. Sounds good though.

sevenof400

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 08:32:36 am »

Houston just whipped UConn. Although UConn is struggling. Sounds good though.

...but has little value in terms of RPI when you consider UConn's current RPI rating of 157.

sevenof400

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 08:38:18 am »

PR/propaganda which is what they should do. 

Texas has let us down.

Most definitely.  Playing more well known schools is one thing Arkansas needs to do with its OOC, but as you noted, you can't control how good that team will be when you finally do get to play them.  The Texas win (currently) likely adds very little to Arkansas' resume' - really not much more than a win - in the eyes of the committee. 

sevenof400

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 08:59:02 am »

Not too much news prior to the Florida game but Fort Wayne is now on the edge of falling out of the Top 100.  That was probably going to happen once conference play started anyway but if Fort Wayne can stay in the Top 101-150 category throughout the year, that would be a positive outcome for Arkansas.  Southern Illinois and Texas continue to remain close to falling out of Top 101-150.     

There is some concern with respect to ESPN's numbers.  Some of the numbers in the team's profile appear to be just flat out wrong because of their inconsistent or unexplainable nature.  The non conference SOS trending upward as the OOC portion of the season played out makes sense as a few teams on Arkansas' OOC schedule have turned in solid starts to their year (UT Arlington, Minnesota).   But as the non conference SOS has increased, the non conference RPI has decreased by over 100 spots.

Something seems amiss there....

Also, how can Arkansas have an opponent SOS rating of 1 or 3 and their own SOS be so low?   

Something seems amiss there too....

ESPN has a glossary on the bottom of their RPI page that summarizes all teams: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi
but once you drill into a specific team page, there is no glossary for those measures that appear only on a team page. 

Time to hit ESPN with an email....

Adam Stokes

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 09:15:36 am »

We still have Oklahoma State on our non-con slate, once we play them our non-con SOS will be ranked at 67. We have a legitimate chance at going 12-1, although it'll likely be 11-2. Even 11-2 would be tied for the best in the conference. If our SOS was even at 50 we'd likely tack on another loss. SOS of 30 would likely put us in the 8-5 area.

A better SOS always leads to more losses so you simply have to find the happy medium. Our schedule is just fine. Our schedule isn't weak as it'll be in the top sixth in the NCAA, it simply isn't as strong as most others in the conference. I would expect that next year we'll see our SOS stronger as the team will be better suited against strong competition.

sevenof400

Note that as of December 29, 2016, I am changing my RPI source FROM ESPN to CBS Sports.

Columns with a date in yellow background are from ESPN, green from CBS. 

Also, please note that I have changed the column reporting of the opponent's current RPI to highlight in blue any team that appears more than once in Arkansas' RPI. 

sevenof400

It seems like overkill to report more bad news today, but that's what it is - mostly. 

As expected, Arkansas' RPI dropped with the loss to Florida BUT it did not crater.  At 42, Arkansas is likely on the outside of tournament bids for now but there is still a lot of the season left.   

FWIW: Historically, a team can be reasonably assured about a NCAA bid with an RPI no lower that the mid 30's - but that number has some variability depending on outcomes in conferences which usually only send their automatic qualifier.

The bad news is the RPI ratings for the OOC portion of Arkansas schedule is trending significantly downward as Ft Wayne, Southern Illinois, and Sam Houston State all absorbed mighty hits to their RPI numbers.  It is reasonable to assume that most of the RPI drop for Arkansas today can be attributed to the drop by the group of three while a small portion of the drop is due to the loss to a highly ranked Florida team.   

As the RPI numbers for Arkansas' OOC opponents continues to decline, that puts more pressure on Arkansas to produce a better conference record AND increases the pressure on the following conference games:

30 Dec vs Florida (L)
 7 Jan at Kentucky
15 Feb at South Carolina
18 Feb vs Ole Miss
  4 March vs Georgia

It is worth noting that if Vanderbilt (61) and Tennessee (70) continue to improve, those games could move into the list above. 

And, the pressure to win the last OOC at Oklahoma State gets ratcheted up as well.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian

Ok St lost at home to WV by 17. 

sevenof400

Very little changed today, so I'll keep this brief. 

Have a happy and safe New Year all!

sevenof400

And not much change today either with very little CBB action yesterday.  But that won't be the case for long...

sevenof400

Stand by

rzrbackramsfan

• "Winners never quit, quitters never win"

Fineasswine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas