Non Sports Forums > Shopping and Bargains

Cutting the Cord/Cable

Pages: (1/1)

Pulled(PP)pork:

is it truly possible?  while in destin, got approach by a street vendor espousing this possibility...."just need internet".

but with the way technology is progressing, is this in fact.....possible?

Pulled out...

OnTheHillHogFan:

If you aren't a big sports fan and you have access to reliable high speed internet then yes. But where I live the internet isn't that great so its not an option right now.

Pulled(PP)pork:

--- Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on June 04, 2016, 05:53:16 pm ---If you aren't a big sports fan and you have access to reliable high speed internet then yes. But where I live the internet isn't that great so its not an option right now.

--- End quote ---
are you serious Clark?  lol  Of course I'm a huge sports fan.  I was more worried about local channels.  Cable and satellite bills are getting redikulus!!

PP

sevenof400:

If your internet is solid, there are options - see Sling for example.

https://www.sling.com

Pulled(PP)pork:

I currently have roku on my smart tv, for what that's worth

PP

sevenof400:

Sling can be run on your Roku device.

RazrRila99:

I havent had pay for tv in about three years.  Its awesome.  I get my local channels over the air.  For ESPN, etc i have a friend who helps me out there. 

Sling is where its at right now though.  So in short - its VERY possible.  With ESPN now having the App etc you wont miss much.  Do it, Doo it.

ricepig:

--- Quote from: RazrRila99 on June 13, 2016, 04:50:17 pm ---I havent had pay for tv in about three years.  Its awesome.  I get my local channels over the air.  For ESPN, etc i have a friend who helps me out there. 

Sling is where its at right now though.  So in short - its VERY possible.  With ESPN now having the App etc you wont miss much.  Do it, Doo it.

--- End quote ---

So, it's ok for your friend to have cable and ESPN?

OnTheHillHogFan:

--- Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 04, 2016, 05:56:02 pm ---are you serious Clark?  lol  Of course I'm a huge sports fan.  I was more worried about local channels.  Cable and satellite bills are getting redikulus!!

PP

--- End quote ---
I was saying in general it is a lot easier to cut the cord if you aren't a big sports fan.

ImHogginIt:

--- Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on June 13, 2016, 09:47:54 pm ---I was saying in general it is a lot easier to cut the cord if you aren't a big sports fan.

--- End quote ---

Yep. Virtually impossible. And NASCAR made it more difficult since most races are now on FS1 or NBCSN. Then I gotta have all the ESPN and Fox Sports channels, MLB network, MLB Exra Innings, CBSS, SEC Network, NFL Network, Golf, Sportsnet NY, Comcast sports networks,  ect...

zane:

--- Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 04, 2016, 02:26:36 pm ---is it truly possible?  while in destin, got approach by a street vendor espousing this possibility...."just need internet".

but with the way technology is progressing, is this in fact.....possible?

Pulled out...

--- End quote ---

A jail broken Amazon Firestick will get you all of the channels (including sports) for free (except for the cost of the firestick). You just have to know seedy individuals that deal in such things.

Pulled(PP)pork:

--- Quote from: zane on June 14, 2016, 03:40:54 pm ---A jail broken Amazon Firestick will get you all of the channels (including sports) for free (except for the cost of the firestick). You just have to know seedy individuals that deal in such things.

--- End quote ---
wonder if any reside in Manila.....

PP

VictoryRedChevy:

I have Sling. Love it so far. I don't watch a bunch of tv, so at 20 bucks a month for Sling, I don't feel guilty or ripped off for not watching it anymore than I do. I did feel ripped off with cable and I do not miss that 70 dollar bill for expanded basic cable. Plus, there are 5 dollar add on tiers for Sports, News, etc., so I can add the SEC network when football season rolls around.

RazrRila99:

--- Quote from: ricepig on June 13, 2016, 05:29:39 pm ---So, it's ok for your friend to have cable and ESPN?

--- End quote ---

So far I havent had any problems.  She likes her cable TV shows so its doubtful she will go without cable (plus has kids who need their MTV).  She offered, I accepted. 

sevenof400:

--- Quote from: RazrRila99 on July 05, 2016, 04:23:32 pm ---So far I havent had any problems.  She likes her cable TV shows so its doubtful she will go without cable (plus has kids who need their MTV).  She offered, I accepted.

--- End quote ---

MTV is still on the air?

ricepig:

--- Quote from: RazrRila99 on July 05, 2016, 04:23:32 pm ---So far I havent had any problems.  She likes her cable TV shows so its doubtful she will go without cable (plus has kids who need their MTV).  She offered, I accepted. 

--- End quote ---

Well, chances are that won't continue forever, but good luck with it.

TomasPistola:

Playstation network has a good choice of packages that are reasonably priced here in Atlanta. I'm strongly considering moving that direction. You don't have to have a playstation to use it either.

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on June 13, 2016, 09:47:54 pm ---I was saying in general it is a lot easier to cut the cord if you aren't a big sports fan.

--- End quote ---

If one is a sports fan but not of certain sports then no problem. We cut it, got an antenna and Roku with Sling channels including ESPN and the SEC network and have no problems. There are certain sports I don't watch hardly ever though like car racing, baseball and soccer. Even so I can get some baseball.

RazrRila99:

--- Quote from: ricepig on July 05, 2016, 05:30:08 pm ---Well, chances are that won't continue forever, but good luck with it.

--- End quote ---

She could call me tomorrow and tell me not to use her login and I would have NO problem with that.  As I said, she offered, I accepted.  Its a way for me to save some coin on my end.  Ive found that I dont miss much regardless.  I havent had my ESPN app on since the Mizzou football game. 

waphill:

--- Quote from: TomasPistola on July 05, 2016, 07:00:06 pm ---Playstation network has a good choice of packages that are reasonably priced here in Atlanta. I'm strongly considering moving that direction. You don't have to have a playstation to use it either.

--- End quote ---

I've had it as soon as it launched in KC, and love it. It's cheap, and I run it through the PS3 that had been in my closet for a couple years. There are very few channels we watch, and it has them all. It takes a while to get used to navigating the menus.

NuttinItUp:

--- Quote from: zane on June 14, 2016, 03:40:54 pm ---A jail broken Amazon Firestick will get you all of the channels (including sports) for free (except for the cost of the firestick). You just have to know seedy individuals that deal in such things.

--- End quote ---

Or, just go on ebay....or craigslist...

Jailbroken firestick is the way to go: Free PPV fights, all channels, movies before they come out on DVD/Blu-Ray, etc...

sevenof400:

--- Quote from: waphill on July 11, 2016, 01:27:49 pm ---I've had it as soon as it launched in KC, and love it. It's cheap, and I run it through the PS3 that had been in my closet for a couple years. There are very few channels we watch, and it has them all. It takes a while to get used to navigating the menus.

--- End quote ---

I am giving PlayStation Due a try right now and I agree with Waphill's observation that the menus do take a bit of getting used to but once you're past that it seems to work fine.  Recording of programs is a little tricky too - especially if you are trying to record an upcoming episode of a program that frequently airs (like SportsCenter).  It is NOT easy to pick a specific episode in the future. 

waphill:

--- Quote from: sevenof400 on November 30, 2016, 05:15:18 pm ---I am giving PlayStation Due a try right now and I agree with Waphill's observation that the menus do take a bit of getting used to but once you're past that it seems to work fine.  Recording of programs is a little tricky too - especially if you are trying to record an upcoming episode of a program that frequently airs (like SportsCenter).  It is NOT easy to pick a specific episode in the future. 

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it doesn't record individual episodes, it records every episode of selected show. I like that it doesn't store them locally. My only complaint is that if a live event runs over, you miss the end (OT in sports).

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version