Non Sports Forums > Hunting, Fishing and other Outdoor Sports

Cheap Knives.

Pages: (1/2) > >>

DeltaBoy:

Rough Rider
Schrade
http://www.opinel-usa.com/
All these are 3 well made but low cost knifes I carry.
By being a wise and patience shopper you can get Bucks and Case for under 50 bucks.

What are some of your favorite Pocket knifes that don't cost an arm and a leg.

SWD26:

Most of the China knives, such as Rough Rider and Schrade, use 440A SS and are pretty good user knives for the money. 440A is not as good as 440C but is not terrible.

The big disappointment is the newer Case knives, as they no longer use 440C but have went to the much cheaper and not near as good a steel, 420HC. I know they call it Tru-Sharp but that means nothing, it is just 420.

Buck knives have always used 420 in their standard knives but are now making some higher grade knives with good steel, such as S30V and ATS-34.

For those still wanting a Case, I would suggest going with the Chrome Vanadium, unless you just need or just want stainless steel.

tophawg19:

a few years ago wal mart carried some imperial knives . they were great but very cheap. they were as good as my bucks and even the custom made ones . these stayed razor sharp even when skinning deer


DeltaBoy:

Taylor made ones have improved their fit and finish and for the Cost are a great buy for a daily farm or construction site stockman.

I had heard Case had tinkered with the SS formula a few years ago.

 IMG_20180507_200813_758

SWD26:


--- Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 18, 2016, 08:40:28 am ---Taylor made ones have improved their fit and finish and for the Cost are a great buy for a daily farm or construction site stockman.

I had heard Case had tinkered with the SS formula a few years ago.

--- End quote ---


I agree, It's amazing that they can sell them so cheap. I know that labor is cheap in China but it looks like the material would cost more than what they sell the knife for.

DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: SWD26 on January 18, 2016, 10:17:07 am ---
I agree, It's amazing that they can sell them so cheap. I know that labor is cheap in China but it looks like the material would cost more than what they sell the knife for.

--- End quote ---

The one I got off of Ebay was pretty sharp and after a run over my Black Arkansas stone and some cardboard stropping it was hair popping sharp.   


DeltaBoy:

My new case I got for Christmas took some work on the stones as it came with a ruff edge from the factory .  The wife got me a Texas Jack it going into my Sunday rotation. This week I am  carrying a lockback folder , a Standard Swiss Army Knife, a full size stockman and a #8 Opinel and I rotate out brands and models each week.  They get cleaned on Sat and a new rotation gets pulled from the box.  Most Weekends I have a Jack or Barlow in my pocket and a Buck 110 or other larger folder on my belt. Truth is the Swiss Army Knifes get the most daily work except for the Opinel which I use with my lunch. I pocket carry it since there too much moisture in my lunch box and I don't want it to rust.
In Schrades I have 5-6 340 small stockmans and I retired my 0T8's due to the sentimental value of both but I am hoping to score another Made in the USA OT8 this week off the Bay.

SWD26:


--- Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 19, 2016, 10:52:15 am ---My new case I got for Christmas took some work on the stones as it came with a ruff edge from the factory .  The wife got me a Texas Jack it going into my Sunday rotation. This week I am  carrying a lockback folder , a Standard Swiss Army Knife, a full size stockman and a #8 Opinel and I rotate out brands and models each week.  They get cleaned on Sat and a new rotation gets pulled from the box.  Most Weekends I have a Jack or Barlow in my pocket and a Buck 110 or other larger folder on my belt. Truth is the Swiss Army Knifes get the most daily work except for the Opinel which I use with my lunch. I pocket carry it since there too much moisture in my lunch box and I don't want it to rust.
In Schrades I have 5-6 340 small stockmans and I retired my 0T8's due to the sentimental value of both but I am hoping to score another Made in the USA OT8 this week off the Bay.

--- End quote ---

Have you checked out "Jay's Knives" on-line? It's a pretty good site to find older knives of all brands.

DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: SWD26 on January 19, 2016, 11:57:20 am ---Have you checked out "Jay's Knives" on-line? It's a pretty good site to find older knives of all brands.

--- End quote ---

No I have not Thanks!

Rzbakfromwaybak:

 

I bought a couple of Ka-Bar Dozier folding hunters, about $21 ea.  Light weight, easy for ED pocket carry, sharp, strong blade & a lockback.  Very nice for the money.

DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on January 20, 2016, 11:37:34 pm --- 

I bought a couple of Ka-Bar Dozier folding hunters, about $21 ea.  Light weight, easy for ED pocket carry, sharp, strong blade & a lockback.  Very nice for the money.

--- End quote ---

Solid Knife and your correct they are a good buy.  My sentiments like with slip joints first and foremost.

DeltaBoy:

I customized a Opinel #8 this weekend I reshaped the handle and drilled out a hole for a lanyard.  Then I painted it dark brown.

SWD26:


--- Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on January 20, 2016, 11:37:34 pm --- 

I bought a couple of Ka-Bar Dozier folding hunters, about $21 ea.  Light weight, easy for ED pocket carry, sharp, strong blade & a lockback.  Very nice for the money.

--- End quote ---

I agree. This knife has 8A steel, which is a good knife steel. In my opinion, this may be the best knife out there for the money.

DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: SWD26 on January 25, 2016, 10:41:17 pm ---I agree. This knife has 8A steel, which is a good knife steel. In my opinion, this may be the best knife out there for the money.

--- End quote ---

I am going to try and get one this summer.

DeltaBoy:

Waiting on the Mail to deliver me a Garden knife by Opinel and a vintage Camillus stockman.   

DeltaBoy:

Garden knife came in  Fit and Finish are perfect and the blade is like all Opinel's sharp.

My biggest surprise is how easy and light it feels in the pocket it just disappears in a pair of dockers.

                             

Filthy_McSwine:

I'm a big fan of the Kershaw Ken Onion knives they sell on Woot from time to time.  A little big for EDC, but good and sharp and the speedsafe opening in almost switchblade fast.

http://www.woot.com/offers/kershaw-ken-onion-leek-knife-w-speed-safe


DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: Filthy_McSwine on February 04, 2016, 04:14:33 pm ---I'm a big fan of the Kershaw Ken Onion knives they sell on Woot from time to time.  A little big for EDC, but good and sharp and the speedsafe opening in almost switchblade fast.

http://www.woot.com/offers/kershaw-ken-onion-leek-knife-w-speed-safe


--- End quote ---
I got 2 Kershaws and both are Speedsafe and they are sharp and fast.

DeltaBoy:

That 1960's Camillus cleaned up well and took a great edge.

DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: tophawg19 on January 15, 2016, 09:06:18 pm ---a few years ago wal mart carried some imperial knives . they were great but very cheap. they were as good as my bucks and even the custom made ones . these stayed razor sharp even when skinning deer


--- End quote ---

I got an Imperial Stockman a week ago off Amazon used and it well made.

DeltaBoy:

Got a Diamond Edge Imperial Peanut size pocket knife last week for 7 bucks and spent a hour cleaning it up. It will be a Sunday knife.  Blades too a good edge on my old set of Smith's Crock Sticks.  I found it covered up on of my Winchester boxes I have and  I pulled it out and put it back to work after being retire ( lost ) for the past 15 years.

DeltaBoy:

Got at Rite Edge Barlow and it took a good edge. I took the sander and rounded the edges off the knife since the edges on the springs and bosters was sharp.

DeltaBoy:

Thanks to the Ebay I got a Old Timer USA 72OT doglegged jack in my pocket and a 1972 Old Timer 8OT in the Mail coming soon.  Paid less than 10 bucks for both of them.

DeltaBoy:

Got a Imperial lock back at Tractor Supply and it been a good one and I paid $3:50 on Clearance.

DeltaBoy:

Got a gunstock Rough Rider stockman. in Yellow derin and it got great walk n talk and was nice and sharp out of the box  $8 bucks.

oldman1015:

you sure buy a lot of knives.

Hog_Swanson:


--- Quote from: oldman1015 on June 13, 2016, 01:05:13 pm ---you sure buy a lot of knives.

--- End quote ---
The gubberment won't let him play with guns... ;D

DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: oldman1015 on June 13, 2016, 01:05:13 pm ---you sure buy a lot of knives.

--- End quote ---

It a fun hobby for me and I spend less than 20 buck each one.

oldman1015:


--- Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 14, 2016, 10:03:46 am ---It a fun hobby for me and I spend less than 20 buck each one.

--- End quote ---
how many would you guess you own?

DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: oldman1015 on June 14, 2016, 10:25:01 am ---how many would you guess you own?

--- End quote ---

Over 40 pockets knifes+5 lock backs and 6 fixed blades .

DeltaBoy:

Got me a New Colonial quic flip and it is Great. I wish you all had a Tractor Supply Company around.

oldman1015:


--- Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 01, 2016, 04:03:11 pm ---Got me a New Colonial quic flip and it is Great. I wish you all had a Tractor Supply Company around.

--- End quote ---
But I don't have a tractor.

DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: oldman1015 on August 08, 2016, 03:31:26 pm ---But I don't have a tractor.

--- End quote ---

No need they sale machetes , axes and all sorts of knifes.

DeltaBoy:

I got a Saber Stockman and USA Schrade Walden 895 serpentine stockman last week off the bay for less that 12 bucks.

DeltaBoy:

Bought a new full sized Buck stockman on sale at my Walmart and sent it to Idaho the next day. It had a proud pins on both sides and the sheeps foot blade was awlful gritty even after a good cleaning and oiling.

95_alum:

Very happy with my Schrade SCHF52.

DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: 95_alum on September 10, 2016, 01:19:17 pm ---Very happy with my Schrade SCHF52.

--- End quote ---

I been looking at those Schrade fixed blades for a while.

DeltaBoy:

Grabbed another 8OT Stockman in good shape paid 18 bucks with shipping due to a bidding war.



DeltaBoy:

Collecting Knifes is a pretty cheap hobby with Ebay.

bolo:

found a queen pocket knife in the trash the other day


DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: bolo on October 01, 2016, 03:40:46 pm ---found a queen pocket knife in the trash the other day


--- End quote ---

Depending on condition you got a winner then.

bolo:


--- Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 02, 2016, 02:39:27 pm ---Depending on condition you got a winner then.

--- End quote ---
really clean

tophawg19:


--- Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 01, 2016, 01:55:26 pm ---I got an Imperial Stockman a week ago off Amazon used and it well made.

--- End quote ---
Wal mart had them for about 10 bucks when i got them. through 2 deer and well into a 3rd before sharpening . And if lost , it wasn't as bad as losing a custom made


DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: bolo on October 03, 2016, 05:34:21 pm ---really clean

--- End quote ---

SWEET!

DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: tophawg19 on October 03, 2016, 08:13:43 pm --- Wal mart had them for about 10 bucks when i got them. through 2 deer and well into a 3rd before sharpening . And if lost , it wasn't as bad as losing a custom made


--- End quote ---

Taylor doing a great job and I love those Rough Riders.

WaltKowalski:

I've had my 191 for ten years maybe longer. I am going to get a 192 for the gut hook but if not for that this would be the last knife I would ever have to buy. I use it as a can opener in a pinch and I'd will still skin.

DeltaBoy:


--- Quote from: WaltKowalski on October 30, 2016, 08:46:31 pm ---I've had my 191 for ten years maybe longer. I am going to get a 192 for the gut hook but if not for that this would be the last knife I would ever have to buy. I use it as a can opener in a pinch and I'd will still skin.

--- End quote ---

Great they are good knives.

DeltaBoy:

Christmas time is coming fast and Pocket Knifes are a gift that needs to be in some man's or boy's stocking.

DeltaBoy:



Honk Falls 4 1/2 inch stock man

My last 2 Rough Riders and the Honk Falls.



DeltaBoy:

That saber stock man


China Buck





Pages: (1/2) > >>

Go to full version