• 10,015,623 Posts
• 401,461 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bench Press Max  (Read 4855 times)

The Chief

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I just don't understand...
Re: Bench Press Max
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2017, 04:50:34 pm »

Next time I have a shoulder injury I'll just point my orthopedic surgeon to your post for guidance, Benny.

clutch

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2017, 08:17:17 am »

I've used this method, and it's helped me a lot. I've had 2 rotator cuff surgeries on my right shoulder and have a bone spur pressing against my rotator cuff on my left shoulder. So needless to say, I have shoulder problems. Using this method, it hasn't aggravated my shoulders at all.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/bench-press-grip-the-magic-number

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2017, 02:45:48 am »

I've used this method, and it's helped me a lot. I've had 2 rotator cuff surgeries on my right shoulder and have a bone spur pressing against my rotator cuff on my left shoulder. So needless to say, I have shoulder problems. Using this method, it hasn't aggravated my shoulders at all.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/bench-press-grip-the-magic-number

I'd caution against everybody using exactly the 1.5 factor, but yeah, that's basically what I was describing. The wide grip puts more strain on our shoulder, a fully tucked puts more strain on your triceps, so  you want somewhere around that 30-40 degree angle out from your body for your angles which is right around where your link describes.

If your doctor says your shoulders are too far gone to do such an exercise, by all means, go with your doctor. However, if your shoulders are healthy enough, using proper form you will not risk further injury.

JoeyGym65

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2017, 11:18:50 am »

All time max was 345 at 220lbs.

beachhawg

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WPS!!!
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2017, 12:55:25 am »

50 years old and hit 345, 225 23 reps
Work those triceps and helps push the weight
Dont see this lasting long though, gonna have to increase cardio to get ready for beach season in next two or three weeks.  With that happening the weight will fall off me and my lifts

jkstock04

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2017, 08:24:11 am »

I had just started getting into heavy bench the last couple years and I think that is the reason I have issues because of my age.  I did hit 350 back in the summer of 2015 then I would change my eating habits and drop 15 to 20 lbs and lift moderately to let my shoulders and tendonitis heal a bit.  I got back into heavy bench last summer after a long break and ended up doing 365 at a body weight of 210 which was 5 lbs lighter then when I benched 350.  I also started experimenting with the keto diet earlier this year and dropped back down to 195 and felt awesome with the way my energy levels would be constant with the high fat intake.  I then got back to carb loading and lifting heavy this spring and within 3 months I could bench 380 at a body weight of 207.5 which is lighter then when I benched 365.  I have come to a conclusion that every time I hit a new bench press personal record I could diet down for a few months and comeback stronger each time at a lower body weight and I am considering starting heavy again early next year to see if I can hit 400 at a lower body weight then 207.5 and believe me I do not take any anabolic steroids lol.
Interesting stuff. So basically sounds like body weight cycles when hitting a peak or personal record seem to push you to a new level. Iíve never heard of anything like this but sounds pretty cool.

Randy Beaver

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2018, 01:28:07 pm »

I do not bench press.  All body weight exercises.  However, I can pass the Presidential Physical Fitness Test at my age.  Saw neighborhood elementary school doing it.  Thought I would take on the challenge too

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2018, 09:50:32 am »

Im 5'7 150..lbs and best so far is 205... My baby brother is 5'9 205 and benching 465... was a national champ powerlifter in high school.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 09:10:10 am »

405 for one rep max at bodyweight of 202.

225 for 36 reps at bodyweight of 225. 

Bench has always come pretty easy for me which is ironic because I have pretty long arms.
bench or any other lift for that matter, does not mean much without knowing the lifter's body weight. My sophomore year of college, I lifted in the spring semester with two close friends who were on the Razorbacks. The assistant strength coach then, Gorge Williford, let me work out with them. Anyway, I got a max of 285 on 1 rep of bench and 235 on 1 rep of power clean. I weighed 165 at that time. George told me I had the best power clean form he had seen.

Reading above posts, I did not know that lifts like bench press were bad for shoulders. Tennis starting in my late 20's, not quite 30 years ago, has ruined both of my shoulders...I serve right and hit ground strokes left. Surgery on my right shoulder back in 2005 and left shoulder has had bursitis a couple of times along with general soreness and weakness.

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2018, 12:30:31 pm »

bench or any other lift for that matter, does not mean much without knowing the lifter's body weight. My sophomore year of college, I lifted in the spring semester with two close friends who were on the Razorbacks. The assistant strength coach then, Gorge Williford, let me work out with them. Anyway, I got a max of 285 on 1 rep of bench and 235 on 1 rep of power clean. I weighed 165 at that time. George told me I had the best power clean form he had seen.

Reading above posts, I did not know that lifts like bench press were bad for shoulders. Tennis starting in my late 20's, not quite 30 years ago, has ruined both of my shoulders...I serve right and hit ground strokes left. Surgery on my right shoulder back in 2005 and left shoulder has had bursitis a couple of times along with general soreness and weakness.

Lesson:  donít overdo lifting as I also torched both of my shoulders, successfully lifting at least 3x my body weight.    The eternal and continued pain you have to endure for the phony bragging rights isnít worth it....   the pain from torching your rotator cuffs is indescribable....

clutch

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2018, 01:03:31 pm »

Lesson:  donít overdo lifting as I also torched both of my shoulders, successfully lifting at least 3x my body weight.    The eternal and continued pain you have to endure for the phony bragging rights isnít worth it....   the pain from torching your rotator cuffs is indescribable....

I reached my goal of twice my body weight and immediately backed off. I can't imagine pushing it to 3X body weight. I have no reason for a strong bench press anymore. So I stick to the moderate weight and just focus on having a well developed chest. I'm just trying to look good naked.

Hogberry Snortcake

• Hogvillian
  • "Something profound." -Someone Famous
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2018, 07:36:40 am »

After my 40th b-day, I had to (com)promise my wife I'd never put more than 3 plates on a side again.  Ever; including squats and deads.  Seems to work out.  Not heavy enough to hurt anything but enough to do some work.  So never break 315 on anything anymore.  But it's good to know I could.   

Silver Hog

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2018, 06:32:21 pm »

215 at 195.  Want to hit 225 by age 50 - I have a few weeks to go. I figured out the past six months that weighted dips and military press both helped my bench (triceps and shoulders I guess).  I tried 225 over a year ago, and psyched myself out of it so bad I haven't tried since.  But I have to! 215 went up pretty easy so I am hoping I have the confidence to push 225 once.

And then a year from now I will laugh as i push 250 or more... i hope!

hawgrunner

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2018, 11:36:09 pm »

I'm 50 but only doing 175.  8)

Silver Hog

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2018, 07:40:05 pm »

I got 225 a week before my 50th!  I did it twice to make sure the first one wasn't an accident. I am tickled pink and excited about the future.

I ain't skeered of 2 plates any longer. So mad I wasted all those years benching completely wrong, but glad I still managed this before it was too late!

H2OHog

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2018, 03:01:08 am »

I do not bench press.  All body weight exercises.  However, I can pass the Presidential Physical Fitness Test at my age.  Saw neighborhood elementary school doing it.  Thought I would take on the challenge too

You hang out at the neighborhood elementary school watching kids?   Creep.

twistitup

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2018, 06:01:13 am »

This is true and the rehab after shoulder surgery is 6 mnths - 1 year to be back in full. I decided getting my shoulder worked on wasn't worth it 'yet' but my rotor cuffs make it difficult to even throw a baseball.

I will be getting my right shoulder worked on soon.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas