• 393,923 Topics
• 22,230 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: SEC Top Football Players per School Spanning the Arkansas Era  (Read 19507 times)

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
SEC Top Football Players per School
« Reply #650 on: December 15, 2017, 04:44:06 pm »

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

How did Joe Namath end up at Alabama?

Listen to him tell the story: https://trib.al/L216bjt

Namath related how he went from Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, to Tuscaloosa after Alabama assistant coach Howard Schnellenberger arrived at his home "unannounced."

"There was a knock on the door one day," Namath said. "I happened to be home, my mother and I, just the two of us in the house. Knock on the door. I went to the door unsuspecting. I opened it, and there was this big man there with a very deep voice, nearly as deep as coach Bryant's -- he favored coach Bryant in that category, too, and coaching as well. But he introduced himself. My mother came up behind me, and he introduced himself to my mother as being from the University of Alabama.

"What had happened was I didn't pass my college boards at the University of Maryland, and the coach there, Tom Nugent, knew coach Bryant. So he called coach Bryant, and coach Bryant immediately sent Howard north. Alabama had come to recruit me during the basketball season that year, and I wasn't even thinking about where I was going to go to school at that time.

"But my mother liked the way that Howard Schnellenberger presented himself and she wanted me to go to college. And by gosh, she went upstairs, packed a bag that you could put under the seat in front of you on an airplane and said, 'Here you are, coach. Go ahead and take him.' Gave me a five-dollar bill and said, 'Take him.'"

Namath said he wasn't taken with Bryant at first, but grew to appreciate the coach.   

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Re: SEC Top Football Players per School Spanning the Arkansas Era
« Reply #652 on: January 03, 2018, 05:55:26 am »

Ross Dellenger
‏Verified account @RossDellenger

Derrius Guice in #LSU record books.

(h/t @MicklesAdvocate)

Guice had 21 carries for 98 yards. He misses breaking Bo Jackson's SEC record of career yards-per-carry, per @tpolitz's chart. I believe he breaks #LSU's school record, set by Fournette.

6.62 ypc

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
SEC Top Football Players per School Spanning the Modern Era
« Reply #653 on: March 04, 2018, 07:59:13 am »

Bo knows:

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Bo Jackson says legendary NFL Combine 40 never happened

On Saturday and Monday annually at the NFL Scouting Combine, the 40-yard dash takes center stage for football fans. With the wide receivers running on Saturday and the defensive backs running on Monday, the fastest times of the NFL's gathering of the top draft prospects blaze down the white strip at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on those days.

The fastest 40 time in the "modern" history of the combine is the 4.22-second showing of Washington wide receiver John Ross last year.

The combine concept started in 1982 and became a league-wide event in 1985. Almost half of the annual gatherings could be classified as prehistoric because of the lack of information compared to today's categorized and accessible statistics that come out of Indianapolis.

Throughout the years, stories have been produced with the intent of finding the "true" fastest 40 run at the combine, with Bo Jackson's 40 at the 1986 event, reported at 4.12 seconds, emerging from the mist.

But the man who is supposed to have run that 40 said it never happened.

Jerry Knaak, the team historian of the Oakland Raiders, reported on Friday that Auburn's 1985 Heisman Trophy told him that he didn't attend the workout in New Orleans. Jackson said he couldn't have run the legendary 40 because he wasn't there after declining the NFL's invitation.

"I did not go because I was already picked to be the first person to go in the draft," Jackson told Knaak. "If you're going to be the first person to go in the draft, why should you go to a combine and do all of that? It wasn't built up like it is now. Now it's a TV production; it's a whole show."

But hold on: When Ross ran his 4.22 last year, Jackson sent out a congratulatory tweet welcoming him to the sub-4.22 club.

Jackson told Knaak a story that he previously related to ESPN in 2016: He did run an eye-popping 40, but it was a 4.13-second time and it took place at Auburn before a gathering of NFL personnel while he was on his way to track practice.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas