• 394,775 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tanner English is indeed fast  (Read 1583 times)

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
Tanner English is indeed fast
« on: May 16, 2018, 02:29:01 pm »

Not directly Hog related, but a funny story I wanted to share.

Today I was with my wife and kids at a Chattanooga Lookouts day game. Bottom of the 3rd, Tanner English comes to the plate and hits a single. I thought ďI remember that name from all the jokes on EIĒ. So as I am telling my wife and kids about how he is the butt of jokes about his speed, the little guy scores from first on a single to left. He had already hit 3rd by the time the LF had fielded the ball. LF didnít even attempt a throw to the plate. He was only about 40 feet behind the runner from 2nd when he crossed the plate.

I donít know how long he is going to stick around. He is only hitting a buck and change in AA for the Lookouts, but that speed is real.

Bruinstyle2001

Re: Tanner English is indeed fast
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 02:36:41 pm »

Today I was with my wife and kids at a Chattanooga Lookouts day game. Bottom of the 3rd, Tanner English comes to the plate and hits a single. I thought “I remember that name from all the jokes on EI”. So as I am telling my wife and kids about how he is the butt of jokes about his speed, the little guy scores from first on a single to left. He had already hit 3rd by the time the LF had fielded the ball. LF didn’t even attempt a throw to the plate. He was only about 40 feet behind the runner from 2nd when he crossed the plate.

I don’t know how long he is going to stick around. He is only hitting a buck and change in AA for the Lookouts, but that speed is real.

It just goes to prove that there is one base you can't steal...and that is first base.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

USChog

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 02:43:04 pm »

Today I was with my wife and kids at a Chattanooga Lookouts day game. Bottom of the 3rd, Tanner English comes to the plate and hits a single. I thought ďI remember that name from all the jokes on EIĒ. So as I am telling my wife and kids about how he is the butt of jokes about his speed, the little guy scores from first on a single to left. He had already hit 3rd by the time the LF had fielded the ball. LF didnít even attempt a throw to the plate. He was only about 40 feet behind the runner from 2nd when he crossed the plate.

I donít know how long he is going to stick around. He is only hitting a buck and change in AA for the Lookouts, but that speed is real.

The jokes are more so directed at the announcers of that game than at Tanner himself. No one says he isn't fast. The problem is the announcers talked about it at every instance. We had someone up to bat: Tanner English is a speed demon. We turn a double play: Tanner English would have beat it out. We throw a strike: Tanner English would have bunted it and scored. DVH is out to talk to the umps: Tanner English would just run around them until they are confused and change the call.

NoogaHog

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 02:53:09 pm »

The jokes are more so directed at the announcers of that game than at Tanner himself. No one says he isn't fast. The problem is the announcers talked about it at every instance. We had someone up to bat: Tanner English is a speed demon. We turn a double play: Tanner English would have beat it out. We throw a strike: Tanner English would have bunted it and scored. DVH is out to talk to the umps: Tanner English would just run around them until they are confused and change the call.

I understand that. I just thought it was funny that he demonstrated his legendary speed just as I was talking about it.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:32:37 pm »

If only Mike Patrick had been there to call it....

WhenPigsFly

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 03:36:17 pm »

If only Mike Patrick had been there to call it....

He really is...that...fast.

twistitup

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 03:36:30 pm »

I always thought Vinny A would have been a better baseball player....he's was fast too- would have been a legend for sure

sir-pigs-a-lot

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 03:59:38 pm »

Was he moving on the pitch? Scoring from 1st on a routine single seems quick, even for ole Tanner.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 04:47:51 pm »

Maybe he can get an MLB gig as the next Herb Washington.

bhogs05

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 04:52:55 pm »

He outran Bolt in the 100m running backwards

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 04:57:32 pm »

Was he moving on the pitch? Scoring from 1st on a routine single seems quick, even for ole Tanner.

...must of been wearing his PF Flyers, ala Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 04:58:11 pm »

I always thought Vinny A would have been a better baseball player....he's was fast too- would have been a legend for sure

Vin was so fast, his career at the UofA went by in the blink of eye.

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 05:40:42 pm »

Before he lost a step, Tanner English would have scored when he hit a single to left.

NoogaHog

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 08:07:53 pm »

Iím not sure. It wasnít on a steal attempt because there was a runner on 2nd. There was also only 1 out at the time so he wasnít necessarily going on the pitch. The ball was over the SS and in front of the LF but wasnít really a blooper. Tanner was hitting 3rd base in a full run about the time the LF pulled the ball out of his glove. LF opted to go to second to limit the single. A perfect throw may have made a close play at the plate but I donít think they would have got him.

I looked at all the local news sites for highlights but couldnít find any to share. Letís just say that dude is pretty quick.

Rusty Shackleford

• I'm the REAL deal.
  • Varsity
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 09:24:19 am »

Ray Biggers beat Tanner English in a foot race 10-12 times.

NoogaHog

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 10:49:45 am »

Not to beat a dead horse, but here is the local news story and video of the game. It doesn't show if English was running on the pitch, but it does show the rather routine single to left and TE diving into home.

https://wdef.com/2018/05/16/lookouts-beat-smokies-complete-9-1-home-stand/

BTW, it was hot at that game. Air temp was supposed to be in the mid 70's, but it felt like 120 in the stands.

DZ

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 12:00:32 pm »

I understand that. I just thought it was funny that he demonstrated his legendary speed just as I was talking about it.
Orel Hershiser was like a teenage girl at a New kids on the Block Concert the way he was gushing about Tanner English. I lost respect for the guy after that, it was sickening.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 04:13:13 pm »

Maybe he can get an MLB gig as the next Herb Washington.

And I thought I was the only one who remembered the ill-fated Charlie O. Finley experiment.  I can still remember watching poor ol' Herb get picked off of first time and again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas