• 9,932,618 Posts
• 399,401 Topics
• 22,897 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Meet the Bag Man: How to Buy Players from a man who claims to deliver the $  (Read 6946 times)

Torqued pork

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'm the baby daddy your Nana warned you about.

Wimpy cheaters? We need our very own Sherwood Blount instead of some cheap retirees acting like they're tipping at Cracker Barrell.

PorkRinds

Our "bagmen" give them the $20 handshakes and the kids are thinking "What am I supposed to do with $20? Go see a movie?". 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Today, we are teaching poodles how to fly...

Wimpy cheaters? We need our very own Sherwood Blount instead of some cheap retirees acting like they're tipping at Cracker Barrell.

Why do I envision our boosters pulling quarters out from behind recruits' ears?

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian

Our "bagmen" give them the $20 handshakes and the kids are thinking "What am I supposed to do with $20? Go see a movie?". 

get weed/booze

PorkRinds

get weed/booze

Half a gram and a 40oz?

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian

Half a gram and a 40oz?

this teaches the young men how to prioritize and budget

Albert Einswine

It teaches the young men to sign with Auburn, Bama, lsu, Ole Miss of late, etc...

Fatty McGee

Probably the reason half of em are broke is the same reason NFL and NBA players get broke. They think the money will always be there and don't try to conserve anything.

Which makes them unique from most of the population that doesn't play sports how?

ExArky

Couldn't be auburn based on the story of the coach that cussed on the plane. I bet it's Ole Miss

Gus is more likely to cuss than Freeze. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

All you guys shooting the messenger remind me of Captain Renault:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

All the billions flowing through college football and you can't believe there are people funneling a few hundred to some of the players?  And that the schools look the other way or are willfully ignorant?  You're fooling only yourselves.

So then I guess they don't need a union after all………………………...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

Naw. Transfer to Uconn and eat dinner.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is it football season yet?

Which makes them unique from most of the population that doesn't play sports how?

Didn't say it did.

Fatty McGee

So then I guess they don't need a union after all………………………...

Well done.

secneahog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • #Uncommon Armon Watts!!

Disgusting...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

Well done.

Thanks. We've agreed some and disagreed some but a little levity is always a good thing.

secneahog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • #Uncommon Armon Watts!!

Totally different. Steroids affect the players physical state. If someone asked you, "give me a couple grand and it'll improve arkansas football" would you do it?

Cheat?  No

rcopela

Ole Miss
I just watched your avatar for 10 minutes, almost as long it took to read the original article

RyeHogFan

Cheat?  No

I'm with ya. I'm not about to cheat to win. I don't care what idiotic phrase someone comes up with about "if you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin." I don't care if "everyone is doing it". If I ever find out that the Razorbacks are playing that game, I'll withdraw all my financial support for them. My season tickets and meager donation might not mean jack to them, but that's how I feel. I refuse to support cheaters.

PorkRinds

I'm with ya. I'm not about to cheat to win. I don't care what idiotic phrase someone comes up with about "if you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin." I don't care if "everyone is doing it". If I ever find out that the Razorbacks are playing that game, I'll withdraw all my financial support for them. My season tickets and meager donation might not mean jack to them, but that's how I feel. I refuse to support cheaters.

You should just do it now, because it happens here too. 

Mike Irwin

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net

There is one guy I've heard about for years who supposedly provides merchandise for selected players. The top amount a player would allegedly get was around 6-8 thousand dollars. Chicken feed to most of the better SEC football programs.

I was never able to verify this. Most players are not going to bust a guy like that out even if it's true. Not unless for some reason they get mad at him, the school or the coaches.

redeye

• Go Hogs Go!!!

Totally different. Steroids affect the players physical state. If someone asked you, "give me a couple grand and it'll improve arkansas football" would you do it?

It's not that different at all.  You're cheating either way.  Your way just affects the team's physical state, rather than the player's.  I find it interesting that MLB fans are strongly against cheating, while many college football fans don't seem to mind.

Personally, I have no respect for cheaters or anything they accomplish while cheating.  So, if someone asked me for a couple grand to cheat, then why would I want to do that?  We may already cheat, but I want no part of it.  I'm not claiming to be morally superior in any way, but just have no respect for cheaters.

Porkahontas

Cheat like everyone else in this conference or get our brains beat in by the big dogs every year.

Got news for ya, it goes on here too, maybe not just as much. Seeing what has went on at Tennessee, Ole Miss, and even Kentucky in recruiting the past year should let ya know some schools are getting serious about it.

Grizzlyfan

Bo is about to interview the bag man author.

Fayettechill14

Gus is more likely to cuss than Freeze.

This is true, although both of them are Right Reverends.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids

Some will continue to display joyfull ignorance to what happens behind the scenes. I am not advocating everyone to embrace the tactics used to land elite recruits...but to deny it existence at your favorite school is to reject reality of a Billion dollar industry.

redeye

• Go Hogs Go!!!

My thing isn't that I'm denying it, but that I don't know and I don't want to know.  We may very well cheat, but I think it's obvious that we don't cheat as much as many schools do, because we have so little to show for it, both on and off the field.  Some of you act as if you know we cheat, but if you have proof of it, then you're not sharing.  I realize we've had a few problems in the past, but considering the lack of evidence, I'm not convinced either way.

GS99

• Senior

Fascinating read.  About 70% BS, but still interesting.

Money to repair a tractor, seriously?  But probably some truth in the other stuff.

Porkahontas

My thing isn't that I'm denying it, but that I don't know and I don't want to know.  We may very well cheat, but I think it's obvious that we don't cheat as much as many schools do, because we have so little to show for it, both on and off the field.  Some of you act as if you know we cheat, but if you have proof of it, then you're not sharing.  I realize we've had a few problems in the past, but considering the lack of evidence, I'm not convinced either way.

I'm a Hog fan. You're crazy if you think any one of us who know something went down the past few years would spill it on a message board for the world to see.

It would be accurate to say that we aren't as heavily involved in it as many schools in the SEC. There's a reason the top 7 or 8 schools in the conference traditionally are always making runs back to the top and keep bringing in top 20 recruiting classes year after year even if they are losing. It's like the whole Cam Newton deal, anyone denying he wasn't paid $200,000 by an Auburn booster/bag man has their heads stuck in the sand. I know a 4* RB who ended up at Mississippi State got a new car given to him a couple weeks after signing day. Now, if Mississippi State and Arkansas are cheating, what are the big boys like LSU, A&M, Auburn, Bama, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia doing?

redeye

• Go Hogs Go!!!

I'm a Hog fan. You're crazy if you think any one of us who know something went down the past few years would spill it on a message board for the world to see.

It would be accurate to say that we aren't as heavily involved in it as many schools in the SEC. There's a reason the top 7 or 8 schools in the conference traditionally are always making runs back to the top and keep bringing in top 20 recruiting classes year after year even if they are losing. It's like the whole Cam Newton deal, anyone denying he wasn't paid $200,000 by an Auburn booster/bag man has their heads stuck in the sand. I know a 4* RB who ended up at Mississippi State got a new car given to him a couple weeks after signing day. Now, if Mississippi State and Arkansas are cheating, what are the big boys like LSU, A&M, Auburn, Bama, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia doing?

Well, I mostly agree with you, but I'm often surprised by how much difficulty some have with keeping a secret.  I don't expect an Arkansas fan to spill the beans over anything they know, but while I've heard many stories of other SEC schools cheating,  both on Hogville and elsewhere, I never hear anything about Arkansas from others.  The only exception is after something good happens to us, and then it's just a bunch of disgruntled non-Arkansas fans, who think the only way Arkansas can win is to cheat.

For the record, I take pride in believing that Arkansas doesn't cheat as much as many schools do, if they cheat at all, and my criticism of cheating is mostly directed at the NCAA for being too lenient with it.  They likely approach it as a business decision and don't want to hand out death penalties that would slow revenues, but that's not so different from MLB turning their cheek on steroid use.  I don't like to see Congress involved in sports, but maybe that's what's needed?  I would definitely consider it more important then cheating in MLB, since we're talking about educational institutions and all.

Mostly I just find it sad that University Presidents would allow it all to happen.

Solomwi

Bielema is no stranger to the system. If he was able to recruit decent players to freaking Wisconsin, then he knows how to play the game.

Whether that will translate to the culture at Arkansas remains to be seen.

No other school in the country has it down to a science like bama does, but believe me, Auburn is getting close.

redeye

• Go Hogs Go!!!

Bielema is no stranger to the system. If he was able to recruit decent players to freaking Wisconsin, then he knows how to play the game.

No other school in the country has it down to a science like bama does, but believe me, Auburn is getting close.

So you're saying that Auburn is getting close to matching Alabama at cheating?

Am I supposed to say congrats to that?

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest

What most fans may not get from the (sad, really) linked article is how many decades the system has been in place for some schools.

Story was told to me by a HS coach about 4 years ago: "I know a coach (not football, though) in Hooks, TX. The school that produced Billy Sims for Oklahoma. An OU coach can roll through town and flash his OU credentials and get anything he wants in town. The townsfolk know they'll be taken care of."

Sims played in the late 70s. Goodness, how many decades will OU bag men take care of Hooks, TX? Answer: as long as they are guaranteed any player they want from the area.

(notOM)Rebel123

Anyone can come up with a story and not "name names". Are there bagmen, yes...but come on, spill the beans, dude. Ha!

jbcarol

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo ·5h
RT @38Godfrey: Joining @SportsTalkwBo right now to talk bag men.

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo ·5 hrs
Godfrey: We’re not talking about bagmen buying diamond-encrusted jewelry. We’re talking about $100-200 here and there.

Godfrey: I’ve been asked a lot if I’ve been contacted by the SEC or NCAA. I haven’t. There’s a lot of deniability.

Godfrey: Everybody’s doing it (using bagmen) to some degree.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!

I assume you're implying Gus doesn't cuss?  Right... that's Nutt level mythology.
He doesn't have a losing record and he hasn't been fired, brainiac.

CallThemHawgs!

Why do I envision our boosters pulling quarters out from behind recruits' ears?

Because thats what really happens...

mjsphd

Dudley Dawson told Bo, anyone who thinks it doesn't go on at Arkansas is in denial.  Did add that the Hogs cheat less than some other schools in the SEC.

Solomwi

So you're saying that Auburn is getting close to matching Alabama at cheating?

Am I supposed to say congrats to that?

Why would I need your approval for something I have no control of?

joeyself

The Bag Men are just sad creatures, aren't they?  Glad-handers, back slappers and jock sniffers, they are wanna bes that are being used by those smart enough to (a) keep their money and (b) keep their distance. 

It's not my place to tell someone else how to spend his money, but I couldn't help thinking just how much these people are simply shredding for a chance to be close to a star.

Yep, it's just sad...

JcS

LSUFan

• Global Administrator

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview
Wait, I said this a long time ago bc an old HS friend had a son that was playing at LSU, got hammered for it, and now it's gospel?

Ok, I get it.

Nothing in the South gets built without somebody getting money under the table; from a bridge to a tooth brush.

NoNC4Tubs

• Hogvillian

I'm glad an Auburn fan took time out of his busy schedule to do that interview.  Of course, it probably wasn't an Auburn fan because:
A. You need lots of money

B. You have to be intelligent not to get caught

Pat Dye learned through a lot of mistakes........ 8)

NoNC4Tubs

• Hogvillian
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:35:58 pm by NoNC4Tubs »

NoNC4Tubs

• Hogvillian

I'm sure the story has some sort of validity but it's obvious the dude stretched the truth just a tad.  No way he knows multiple people from multiple school that pay recruits and that would be open to telling him

No, but Pat told him that all of the other schools do it.........so he ran with it.

Isn't that what kids say to justify doing something?  8)

jbcarol

133 second animated recap of the article

chitwnhog

NoNC4Tubs

• Hogvillian

That video pretty much nailed it....... 8)

jbcarol

NCAA clears State in the Luther Davis probe
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2014, 05:53:58 pm »

NCAA finally clears State in Luther Davis probe

Mississippi State will not face punishment over the alleged illicit benefits published in a Yahoo! Sports report. The NCAA notified the Bulldogs that it considers the school's role in the matter closed, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

Mississippi State was one of three SEC programs – including Alabama and Tennessee -- listed in the September report linking former Alabama player Luther Davis as a middle man for agents and prospective NFL draft picks.

State began an internal investigation after the story published and the NCAA eventually corresponded with the school before deeming no allegations would be filed, according to the source.

Yahoo! reported that Davis purchased airfare for former MSU football players Fletcher Cox and Chad Bumphis while they were still in school. Yahoo! authenticated a flight purchase in Dec. 2011, before Mississippi State's Music City Bowl appearance later that month. Cox declared for the draft after the bowl game and Bumphis played another season.

State's case was considered the least explosive of the three.

jbcarol

LSUFan

• Global Administrator

jbcarol

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas