Non Sports Forums > RazorVets

Fort Leonard Wood Family Day

Pages: (1/1)

warriorlion:

Anyone been to Fort Leonard Wood lately for a family day before basic graduation?  My son is graduating Aug. 9th and we were just wondering about the family day.  My only family day experience was at MCRD San Diego 27 years ago.  Thanks for the help/info.

hogginbama:

If it is set up like other installations it will occur on the day before graduation. Typically will have a morning formation at central location (parade field) and the CDR will lay out the rules. Must stay in uniform, no alcohol, stay on post, etc. They will normally have to back at company area around 2100 hrs to packand prep for graduation. You will (should) have the chance to meet his drill sgt, tour the barracks and other stuff set up to entertain. 

I would suggest calling now for on post hotel.  If they are booked try calling the outdoor recreation center to see if they have cabins in the on-post camping area or other available housing. Most don't know about the outdoor rec option, so it may be available. By staying on post your son & family can get inside to just kickback and relax.

Hope this helps a bit. Personally haven't been to L'Wood grad festivities, but son did grad at Jackson and I have put many kids in Army who went to L'Wood.

warriorlion:

--- Quote from: hogginbama on July 23, 2013, 05:52:34 pm ---If it is set up like other installations it will occur on the day before graduation. Typically will have a morning formation at central location (parade field) and the CDR will lay out the rules. Must stay in uniform, no alcohol, stay on post, etc. They will normally have to back at company area around 2100 hrs to packand prep for graduation. You will (should) have the chance to meet his drill sgt, tour the barracks and other stuff set up to entertain. 

I would suggest calling now for on post hotel.  If they are booked try calling the outdoor recreation center to see if they have cabins in the on-post camping area or other available housing. Most don't know about the outdoor rec option, so it may be available. By staying on post your son & family can get inside to just kickback and relax.

Hope this helps a bit. Personally haven't been to L'Wood grad festivities, but son did grad at Jackson and I have put many kids in Army who went to L'Wood.

--- End quote ---

thanks a lot!!! I really appreciate your info.

sevenof400:

If I may join this conversation, I have a son at Fort Benning who will hopefully be completing BCT and graduating in September.  Hogginbama, could you please explain your recommendation of staying on base/post a little more? 

In what I have been able to read about Family Day and Graduation, it says your soldier has to be back on base by 9:00 pm each evening and that it can get quite crowded / busy at the entry gates around this time.  Is this one of the reasons for your suggestion? 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can provide.

mckinneyhog5:

Wow, talk about memories.  I graduated basic training there in 88.  My mom, sister and brother came up to see it.  I can't believe that's it almost been 30 years since I was there.  Yes, I'm getting old.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version