• 395,389 Topics
• 22,296 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Stories from the SEC Footprint  (Read 58618 times)

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jbcarol

Re: Strange Stories from the SEC Footprint
« Reply #1202 on: September 03, 2017, 09:38:53 am »

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

Welcome Back! UAB sets attendance record in return to college football

It was a successful return for UAB’s football program on Saturday, as the Blazers defeated Alabama A&M 38-7 and also set a school record for attendance, with 45,212 fans coming to Legion Field for the first game since 2014.

It was announced in Dec. 2014 that the UAB program would be shut down indefinitely due to budget concerns, but the decision was quickly reversed after a fundraising effort raised more than $27 million and the backlash of public opinion.

Blazers will once again compete in Conference USA.

jbcarol

« Reply #1203 on: September 03, 2017, 01:40:50 pm »

Stacey Barchenger‏Verified account @sbarchenger

'Bar Church' serves up example of faith where you find it http://knoxne.ws/2gtys4i  via @tennessean

This is Bar Church where it’s OK to say amen while enjoying a cold brew.

Bar Church is an occasional evening fellowship – organizers don’t call it a service – at West Knoxville’s The Open Chord. The part Christian rock concert, part low-key Lutheran message is an outreach of The Point church in Knoxville.

The framework's simple – wrap a brief Christian message around music by The Point band. The idea’s simpler – connect to the disconnected by taking Christ to people where they're comfortable.

Bar Church doesn’t have regular dates but is held most often in the summer. Before The Open Chord, the music and message were at downtown’s Relix and Scruffy City Hall. Each event attracts The Point members, friends they invited and people looking to have a beer and listen to music. 

Dolly’s got church

At Dollywood, regular church services are not far from twisting roller coasters and musical shows. The Pigeon Forge theme park’s one-room church is an anchor of its Craftsman Valley area. Dollywood chaplain Joey Buck leads services at the Robert F. Thomas Chapel.

On Sundays in summer and fall, Buck preaches to packed pews. An average 200 to 250 people come to worship. Services are 11:30 a.m. Sunday during the park season; 5:30 p.m. during Smoky Mountain Christmas.

jbcarol

« Reply #1204 on: September 03, 2017, 08:34:50 pm »

Kyle Tucker‏ @KyleTucker_SEC 2h2 hours ago

UK announces with matching funds, Calipari/basketball team telethon helped raise $1 million for Harvey relief.

jbcarol

« Reply #1207 on: September 08, 2017, 04:33:05 am »

Texas A&M Football‏Verified account @AggieFootball 7h7 hours ago

"We unequivocally condemn this disgusting and threatening letter"
- President Young & AD Woodward

"Earlier this evening, we became aware of a letter of unknown origin that was sent to the Sumlin family home. We unequivocally condemn this disgusting and threatening letter. There is no excuse for hatred and, as a community, we will not allow the ignorance of some to intimidate any member of our community.  On behalf of all Aggies, our thoughts are with Coach Sumlin and his family, and we will do all that we can to ensure their safety. We are working with law enforcement authorities to bring the sender of this letter to justice. We stand with the Sumlins and will not accept this inexcusable act of hate."   

jbcarol

« Reply #1208 on: September 08, 2017, 04:56:56 am »

Nick Saban shares hilarious story about how changed his lines in The Blind Side

“I did no acting in The Blind Side. It was not considered acting,” Saban said. “They gave me a script, the director gave me a script. I didn’t want to be in the movie because I was the coach here (Alabama), and I was the coach at LSU in the movie so I thought the fans here would all get mad at me if I was the LSU coach in a movie.

“So I refused and Fred Smith, who was a pretty powerful guy with FedEx and all that, produced the movie and talked me into doing it. I told him I’d do it, but I’m not going to wear LSU clothes. He said ok. Then the director comes in and gives me a scripts and says ‘Ok, here’s your lines. Here’s what we want you to say.’ I said, ‘Hey buddy, I was there. I did this.'

“I said ‘Why can’t I just do what I did? I’ll just say what I said when I come to the front door, I’ll say what I said when I sat down and talked to the player, Michael, and the little that was there. I’ll just say it, and if you don’t like it, I’ll do your script.’ So, I did it that way and he liked it so I never did the script.

“In my opinion, there was no acting at all,” Saban said, smiling. “To me if you act, they give you a script and you act like somebody else. All I did was just be myself and did exactly what I did. Coaching the team’s harder, I guess is what I’m trying to say.”

SEC Mike

@MichaelWBratton

Novel indicates Oher likely would have went to LSU had Saban not left. If that happened, Freeze never lands at OM; Bama never loses to Rebs https://twitter.com/BW_Jones/status/905951010434281472

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #1210 on: September 08, 2017, 01:29:02 pm »

TAMU fans are worse than our Darksiders during the Nutt days.

jbcarol

« Reply #1211 on: September 11, 2017, 05:30:12 am »

Oxford Police Dept‏Verified account @OxfordPolice

Investigators need your help this morning!

Oxford Police Dept‏Verified account @OxfordPolice 12h12 hours ago

New update on Margaux Huff. If you have any information on her whereabouts please call OPD!

Oxford Police Dept‏Verified account @OxfordPolice 6h6 hours ago

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: MARGAUX HUFF HAS BEEN LOCATED

jbcarol

« Reply #1212 on: September 11, 2017, 05:50:03 am »

Missouri fan says son found fake fingernails at bottom of popcorn box

Mike Staton @mikestaton1

Popcorn wasnt any better. My son found used fake fingernails at bottom of his box of popcorn. #Disgusting pic.twitter.com/44HHJQZmdW
11:36 AM - Sep 10, 2017

jbcarol

« Reply #1214 on: September 15, 2017, 08:10:10 pm »

WPLG Local 10 News‏Verified account @WPLGLocal10 9h9 hours ago

Davie man arrested for attempting to steal generator during Irma http://bit.ly/2x4HmgB

jbcarol

« Reply #1215 on: September 17, 2017, 08:27:14 am »

Actor Johnny Depp’s Fayette County horse farm on Versailles Road did not sell at auction Friday after the bids were rejected for being too low.

The property had been listed for $2.9 million. The top bid was $1.4 million. It came from radio personality Rick Dees [and his cast of idiots?] of the Weekly Top 40, who said he didn’t blame Depp for wanting more for the property.

Dees owns Sweetbrier, a large Boyle County farm.

After a brief conference with Depp business manager Ed White, the auctioneers ended the auction without a sale.

“It’s not over yet,” White said. “There are some people interested in meeting with me.”

Depp had recently sold four penthouses at the Eastern Columbia building in downtown Los Angeles for a cumulative $10.22 million, White said. Depp still owns five properties in Los Angeles, White said.

Depp also owns Little Hal’s Pond Cay, a 45-acre private island in the Bahamas and a 37-acre compound in the south of France.

“It’s difficult to manage all these properties,” White said, because Depp “rarely comes to Kentucky.” Depp is a Kentucky native born in Owensboro.

Although there were 14 registered bidders, it was clear from the outset that the auction was [ddomed to fail].

Dees / Charles Bertram, Herald-Leader

jbcarol

« Reply #1216 on: September 24, 2017, 09:12:03 am »

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

We're still loving yesterday's squirrel touchdown.

Lamar Jackson accounted for three touchdowns to set a Louisville career record and lead the No. 19 Cardinals to a 42-3 victory at Kent State on Saturday.

The reigning Heisman Trophy winner got upstaged by a squirrel, who looked to rumble 45 yards to the delight of the fans and announcers.

jbcarol

« Reply #1217 on: October 13, 2017, 04:54:18 am »

Horrifying details about the night Max Gruver died after a pledge test at an LSU frat house

One day in September, Maxwell Gruver received a phone message from a member of the fraternity he hoped to join.

Bible study at 10 p.m., he was instructed.

The event was far less innocent than the code name suggested. "Bible Study" was an initiation game where pledges are quizzed about the history of the fraternity and forced to drink alcohol if they answer incorrectly, LSU police reports say.

Police say Gruver, an 18-year-old freshman transplant from Roswell, Georgia, repeatedly flubbed answers and drank, and he died the next day from alcohol poisoning and aspiration. And 10 arrest warrants filed Wednesday for a group of mostly Phi Delta Theta brothers, say witnesses told authorities that Gruver was targeted by a more senior member of the fraternity who had a dislike for Gruver because of his frequent tardiness.

jbcarol

« Reply #1218 on: October 13, 2017, 05:52:11 am »

Stacey Barchenger‏Verified account @sbarchenger Oct 11

Wow. Brutal beatings & 'honey bun' hits: 'Fight club' culture inside Florida juvenile justice system http://www.miamiherald.com/news/special-reports/florida-prisons/article177510156.html … by @miamiherald

jbcarol

« Reply #1219 on: October 15, 2017, 07:46:08 am »

WBIR Channel 10‏Verified account @wbir 2h2 hours ago

'To Kill a Mockingbird' Pulled from School Reading List http://on.wbir.com/2yKGLnP

jbcarol

« Reply #1220 on: October 22, 2017, 07:38:40 am »

SEC Country Vols‏Verified account @SECCountryVols

LOOK: Instead of arresting Tennessee fan, police make fan clean anti-Butch Jones vandalism http://sec.news/2yyHich   #VFL

JD Lloyd‏ @jdlloyd10

In lieu of a vandalism arrest, UT fan being made to clean off his graffiti his anti-Butch take.

jbcarol

« Reply #1221 on: October 24, 2017, 06:08:39 am »

Joe Rexrode‏Verified account @joerexrode

What do you email your wife when you think you're going to die? On worst plane ride & one of best days of my life.

I was actually writing Katie Rexrode an email Sunday morning, explaining that my plane was going down and that I loved her and the kids and …

I was only a couple of sentences in when I noticed that the wireless on my Delta flight from Atlanta to Cleveland was gone, too. It apparently cut out when the engine on the right side of the plane blew...

There was a family in front of us, a young child happily oblivious and his parents clutching each other and whispering.

It felt like the plane was going down, and below us were mountains. And then it got worse. Another loud, awful noise, followed by silence and the feeling that we had no more engine propulsion in the air. It’s the most quiet I’ve ever heard a plane. At that moment, I thought the other engine was gone. The only sound among 139 people was a couple of them whimpering and a couple of young children babbling.

That’s the first time in my life I’ve been certain I was going to die. I thought of my family. The things I would miss, the sporting events and graduations, walking Caroline down the aisle. And then I thought of how I got here. My boss had actually given me the go-ahead to skip the Alabama-Tennessee game on Saturday...

This was my time. If that sounds dramatic, remember, I’m a hot-taking sports columnist. Give Butch a chance! Fire Butch! Vandy’s defense is amazing! Vandy’s defense is terrible! Titans can make the Super Bowl! Titans aren’t playoff worthy! We swim in hyperbole.

But that is what I truly thought, and I said a prayer and felt some peace. And I don’t know if all that took 45 seconds or 10 minutes, but the pilot came on and told us an engine was out and we were going to make an emergency landing in Knoxville. Apparently, per the reporting of the Knoxville News-Sentinel, that second loud noise was the pilots shutting down the bad engine.

We still had some propulsion. We were going to make it. Relief washed over me. We were quickly on the ground, a rough landing, and the firetrucks were out there just in case, but it was fine. We all applauded. I gave the dudes next to me an awkward half hug. We all shook the hand of pilot John Michael Miller. I hung back and asked if I could talk to him after everyone was off. Shook his hand again. Told him I’d flown hundreds of times and had never experienced anything like that.

“Neither have I,” he said.

jbcarol

« Reply #1223 on: October 27, 2017, 06:16:11 am »

LSU's Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity shut down because chapter was 'unsafe,' board says

Another LSU fraternity has been shut down, this time in a move prompted by national fraternity leaders who deemed the chapter "unsafe."

The LSU chapter of Lambda Chi was closed officially this past Sunday after a vote of the fraternity's board of directors.

"Based on the recent chapter history, the fraternity Board concluded that the chapter was unsafe and didn't promote a healthy environment or one conducive to learning or personal development" the fraternity wrote in a statement. "Under the terms of the closure, no individual may represent Lambda Chi Alpha or the Upsilon chapter in any manner on the Louisiana State University campus, including social events, intramurals, and the Inter-Fraternity Council."

A spokesman for the organization said the chapter, which had been placed on probation for repeated violations, failed to meet the terms of its probation as imposed by the national headquarters.

"This extended failure prompted the Board's vote and decision to close," said Lambda Chi national spokesman Tad Lichtenauer, adding that the chapter's history of violations played a key factor.

LSU spokesman Ernie Ballard said the university was contacted by Lambda Chi's national organization about the decision on Oct. 9. A meeting took place with the students of Lambda Chi on Oct. 22 to let them know about the decision. There were 14 active members of the fraternity. 

It's unclear when Lambda Chi would be allowed to return to LSU.

"We would like to re-colonize at LSU in the coming years when the conditions are such that we believe we can successfully recruit the right men who are interested in our leadership, values, growth and philanthropy opportunities," Lichtenauer said. "We are in negotiations with the university about the proper timeline for our return."

jbcarol

« Reply #1224 on: November 01, 2017, 06:11:23 am »

Wes Rucker‏Verified account @wesrucker247

Tazed man being loaded into an ambulance after bizarre incident near #Vols’ Thompson-Boling Arena and Pratt Pavilion.

So a kid just got tazed right outside Thompson-Boling Arena and Pratt Pavilion. So that was interesting. (Wasn’t a #Vols student-athlete.)

Kid seemed to be having some kind of psychological meltdown. Bizarre scene.

jbcarol

« Reply #1225 on: November 05, 2017, 01:41:28 pm »

SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Texas - A man who opened fire in a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, Sunday morning is dead, police say.

A witness reported seeing a man walk into First Baptist Church and began shooting around 11:30 a.m.

Police said there are "multiple victims" at the church, but have not said how many.

FBI and Texas Rangers have secured the area around the church and are investigating.

The church is located in the 500 block of 4th Street in the small, south Texas town about 40 miles east of San Antonio.

TEN Eyewitness News‏Verified account @channeltennews 8s8 seconds ago

#Breaking "So many families have lost family members, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters" - police confirm 26 lives lost in Texas shooting
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:40:37 pm by jbcarol »

jbcarol

« Reply #1226 on: November 11, 2017, 03:15:38 pm »

AL.com‏Verified account @aldotcom
4h4 hours ago

These Sylacauga brothers who fought at Okinawa are rich in WWII memories, telling stories of kamikazes and climbing through a tunnel on a B-29: https://trib.al/eyjWEHw

Woody was one of 3,000 men on the U.S.S. Shangri-La, an aircraft carrier that launched bombing missions along the coast of Okinawa.

The island was a last stand for the Japanese. Woody remembers the kamikazes, planes turned into missiles, hurtling into ships on suicide dives.

"All you could do was look up and hope they didn't hit you," Woody said. "They sunk a lot of ships. Our sister ship was bombed real bad but they didn't sink her. She finally got back to Pearl Harbor. We never got hit. We got splashed a little, but they didn't hit us."

Luel was stationed at Tinian Island, a major air base after U.S. forces wrested it from the Japanese. He flew with a 10-man crew in a B-29 Superfortress.

"I was the right gunner and I relieved the flight engineer," Luel said. "He had to have a little relief and I'd go up. I was in the back and you'd have to crawl through the tunnel to get to the front of the aircraft."

The tunnel connected the front and rear pressurized cabins on the 100-foot-long plane, passing over the bomb bay. The B-29 was a brand new aircraft and had its mechanical hiccups, Luel said.

"We had to work the bugs out of it because they wanted it right away," Luel said. "We lost I don't know how many, but I remember seeing two go down. They had to work it out. It turned out to be a good airplane."

jbcarol

« Reply #1227 on: November 15, 2017, 05:59:51 am »

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports
9h9 hours ago

A man was shot Monday following an argument over which football team is better: Alabama or Auburn https://trib.al/KPct71T

Mobile police responded to a call concerning a person who was shot at a motel on East I-65 Service Road South at 7:53 p.m. The victim told authorities he was arguing with another man when the shooter asked him which football team is better. The shooter became angry, pulled out a firearm and shot the victim in the thigh before fleeing the scene, police said.

jbcarol

« Reply #1229 on: November 25, 2017, 08:32:50 pm »

Joseph Goodman‏Verified account @JoeGoodmanJr
6h6 hours ago

Joseph Goodman Retweeted UAB Football

Important pre-Iron Bowl announcement. UAB wins regular-season finale to give it a program-record eight victories in first season back. Someone please pass this tweet along to former Board members. Thank you.

UAB Football‏Verified account @UAB_FB

28-🐲 ⛏-7
✅ program record 8 FBS wins
✅ unbeaten at home
✅ school best 6 @ConferenceUSA wins
#GreaterBHAM

jbcarol

« Reply #1230 on: December 03, 2017, 03:46:56 pm »

South Carolina State guard Tyvoris Solomon was rushed to a hospital Saturday afternoon after his heart stopped during the Bulldogs' 103-71 loss to NC State

Bulldogs coach Murray Garvin said that Solomon was "awake and responding" at Rex Hospital in Raleigh

Solomon was resuscitated by South Carolina State's athletic trainer, Tyler Long, whom Garvin praised in a statement Saturday night "for his quick response in that life-or-death moment. He along with the EMS staff rose to the occasion and saved Ty's life."

"I witnessed an arena that came together in prayer and displayed genuine concern for this young man," Garvin continued. "I have received tweets, emails, phone calls and texts from around the world with prayers for Ty and our team. Sports has the amazing ability to bring all of us together for the good of humanity.

"The fans and administration from NC State were phenomenal, and we appreciate your support and well wishes. Additionally, I want to express my gratitude toward our administration at S.C. State for making their way to the hospital to be by Ty's side."

Garvin said in the statement that Solomon's family is with him, "and he has already started the healing process."

jbcarol

« Reply #1231 on: December 07, 2017, 08:44:50 pm »

The Advocate‏Verified account @theadvocatebr
42m42 minutes ago

LSU will open at 10 a.m. Friday due to expected winter weather. View all closures & delays here. https://buff.ly/2BWJGIv

LSU‏Verified account @lsu
51m51 minutes ago

LSU will be closed tomorrow, Friday, Dec. 8, until 10 a.m., at which time all activities, including final exams, will resume.

Exams scheduled prior to 10 a.m. will be held at 8 p.m., in the same room as originally assigned.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Strange Stories from Near the SEC Footprint
« Reply #1234 on: December 25, 2017, 02:33:36 pm »

Gregg Doyel‏Verified account @GreggDoyelStar

Hard to believe the abject poverty this family faced, but I believe it because the family is mine, and there were stories in the newspaper. So here’s another story in the newspaper. A Christmas story. Mine.

Until then, they lived in the chicken coop. Grandma’s best friend owned the structure, a small house until it was condemned and Old Lady Penix – that’s what everyone called her – put chickens in there. My dad used to gather eggs for Old Lady Penix, who gave my family some of those eggs for food and later let them move into the chicken coop.

It was cold that Christmas, Dad remembers that. He remembers the blankets they hung over the hen house’s broken-out windows. And he remembers the way the good people of Shawnee kept showing up with plates of food. He remembers how those cakes and pies smelled, delicious above the odor of chicken droppings.

jbcarol

« Reply #1236 on: December 25, 2017, 04:07:52 pm »

The Oxford Eagle‏ @OxfordEagle

Sam Haskell’s emails and the University of Mississippi alum who helped expose them

Sam Haskell’s alleged email exchanges as CEO of the Miss America Organization (MAO) expose years of sexist, derogatory remarks about former contestants, leaving many to wonder where he and the longtime pageant program will go from here.

Haskell and his wife, Mary, were college sweethearts at the University of Mississippi, a school with unique ties to the Miss America Organization beyond Haskell’s tenure that began in 2005 after a successful run at William Morris as its worldwide head of television. Alums Mary Ann Mobley and Lynda Lee Mead wore the coveted crown in back-to-back years in 1959 and 1960, founding the school’s unofficial boast that it “redshirts Miss Americas.”

The Haskells’ careers in television and the recording industry have long been a point of pride for the university and its alumni base. Mary, a former Miss Mississippi, has been invited back over the years to perform the national anthem at sporting events. In 2012, the main theatre in the on-campus performing arts center was named for the couple.

Brent Adams—an Ole Miss graduate who worked closely with Haskell from May 2012 to February 2015 working for his production company and as development director of the Miss America Organization—played a critical role in exposing [him].

Adams was included in many of the internal exchanges between Haskell and other MAO leaders—many of which centered on former Miss America Mallory Hagan, who was crowned in January 2013.

Hagan, who got to know Adams while spending time at the Haskells’ home in Oxford that year, started dating him after her Miss America reign had ended, a mutual decision between the two to avoid blurring personal and professional interests.

Haskell, who Adams says wanted him to date his daughter, Mary Lane, was less than pleased.

In August 2017, more than two years after Adams’ departure, he and a former Miss America board member met with Dick Clark Productions to discuss Haskell’s behavior, email exchanges in tow. A month later, MAO’s attorneys filed a cease-and-desist order against Adams, saying he violated a non-disclosure agreement by releasing the emails.

Even when Dick Clark executives met with Miss America board members and presented the emails, the organization took no action to make leadership changes.

The Oxford Eagle
‏ @OxfordEagle
Dec 22

Haskell released a statement on Friday following the announcement of his indefinite suspension by the Miss America Organization reading, in part, "Much of what was reported is dishonest, deceptive and despicable."

jbcarol

« Reply #1237 on: December 26, 2017, 06:07:08 am »

Trooper Taylor
‏ @AstAteTrooper
18h18 hours ago

A special Merry Christmas wish goes out to the female police officer in Greenville Tx who not only protected  my family after we had a blowout on Christmas Eve but  physically helped on a freezing cold night may God Bless and always keep her safe #serveNprotect

jbcarol

« Reply #1238 on: December 28, 2017, 06:18:02 am »

Former Auburn standout Brad Lester arrested in Georgia on child pornography charge

Lester is alleged to have used his cellphone to secretly film a juvenile male in a bathroom stall at a restaurant in the Dacula, Ga., area. The alleged incident took place on Nov. 6.

32-year-old Lester grew up in Lilburn, Ga., and played football at Parkview.

Lester went undrafted out of Auburn in 2009, and later spent one season each in the Canadian Football League and the Ultimate Indoor Football League. More recently, he had worked as a personal trainer and substitute teacher.

jbcarol

jbcarol

« Reply #1241 on: January 05, 2018, 06:21:42 am »

H. Brandt Ayers, former publisher and now chairman of the company that publishes The Anniston Star, spanked female employees in the 1970s

H. Brandt Ayers, former publisher and now chairman of the company that publishes The Anniston Star, spanked female employees in the 1970s, several former staffers claim.

The allegations come from female employees who said they were targeted and sexually abused by Ayers, now 82, while working in the paper's newsroom. One of the women, Veronica Pike Kennedy, told the Alabama Political Reporter she was working at the newspaper early one Saturday when Ayers approached her about an editorial he had written and then told her she was being a "bad girl" and he would "have to spank" her.

Kennedy said Ayers pulled her out of her chair, bent her over a desk and spanked her 18 times with a metal ruler. The incident was witnessed by another Star reporter who allegedly confirmed the account. Kennedy was 22 at the time of the alleged incident; Ayers was in his early 40s.

Several other female Star staffers reported similar contact with Ayers.

Ayers issued a statement through a Jan. 1 story published in The Star.

"As a very young man with more authority than judgment, I did some things I regret," Ayers said. "At my advanced age I wish I could relive those days again, knowing the seriousness of my position and with the accumulated judgment that goes with age."

jbcarol

« Reply #1242 on: January 06, 2018, 08:12:10 am »

H. Brandt Ayers, former publisher and now chairman of the company that publishes The Anniston Star, spanked female employees in the 1970s

From Dec. 17, 2017

In the early days of my journalism career, I tried to love Alabama, but she kept breaking my heart. The pain of a disappointed lover dulled in time as I took reporting jobs in distant cities, did postgraduate study at Harvard and Columbia, made reportorial journeys to Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia.

The perspective of education, travel and meeting a few important people and many who were well informed brought me to the realization that I had pursued the wrong woman.

Alabama was pretty enough and she made you smile and laugh, but she had been stifled by poor schools, gulled by demagogic politicians and scorned by elites for her backward ways.

It was possible to understand and sympathize with her damaged self-esteem and the angry resentment that often erupted, but her failure even to be curious about the wider world and her ugly prejudices made true love impossible. We had irreconcilable differences.

jbcarol

« Reply #1243 on: January 06, 2018, 09:35:11 am »

Elizabeth Crisp
‏Verified account @elizabethcrisp

Records: Louisiana paid $1.3 million to settle sexual harassment claims over past decade http://bit.ly/2lZoBWE  via @theadvocatebr

Louisiana has paid nearly $1.3 million to settle sexual harassment claims over the past decade, records show.

The state reached 27 settlements, with payouts ranging from $5,500 to $150,000, from 2009 to 2017. Among the accused in those cases were workers from colleges, hospitals, prisons and other government agencies. The list also includes a settlement paid regarding allegations lodged against a state legislator.

The document, a compilation from the state Department of Administration identified as a "partial response" to a public records request filed by The Advocate, shows three claims led to state payouts in 2017.

The Advocate has attempted to reach all of the people on the list that could be located. A settlement is not an automatic indicator of guilt, and in some cases settlements were struck against the wishes of the accused to mitigate state risks.

jbcarol

Strange Stories returning to the SEC Footprint
« Reply #1244 on: January 06, 2018, 09:47:10 am »

Jason Riley‏Verified account @JasonRileyWDRB

NEW: Nebraska judge moves NCAA referee's lawsuit against Kentucky Sports Radio to Kentucky

A judge has moved NCAA basketball official John Higgins’s federal lawsuit against Kentucky Sports Radio and its operators, Matt Jones and Drew Franklin, from Nebraska to Kentucky.

U.S. District Judge Robert Rossiter ruled Friday that the Nebraska court “clearly lacks” jurisdiction over the defendants and the case will be transferred to federal court in the Eastern Kentucky district.

Higgins sued the University of Kentucky fan media outlet in federal court in Nebraska last October, claiming he and his family were harmed when his personal and business information was shared online and on the radio after the University of Kentucky men's basketball team lost to North Carolina in the NCAA tournament  in 2017.

As a result, Higgins argued, fans gave his business negative reviews and made threats to him and his loved ones.

Attorneys on behalf of KSR, Jones and Franklin argued they have no contacts in Nebraska and did not target any “activities towards readers or listeners in the state.”

In his ruling, Rossiter noted that Jones and Franklin do not live in Nebraska and while KSR is available in the state, that is not enough to satisfy the requirements for jurisdiction.

In addition, Rossiter seemed to indicate that Higgins’ case was not solid. He wrote that “most, if not all, of the damaging actions stated in the Complaint were not performed by any of the defendants but by third parties.”

Jones and Franklin criticized Higgins’ officiating, mentioned his business – which the judge noted had appeared previously in a Sports Illustrated article – and shared a video of the referee’s performance, Rossiter wrote.

The judge said that while Higgins has claimed KSR incited UK fans, "posting news and describing it as 'amusing', no matter how much it may be in poor taste or have caused harm, is not the same as actively soliciting such behavior.”

“... While the anonymous actions are, at best, reprehensible and cowardly, none of those actors are parties to this lawsuit,” according to Rossiter.

However, Rossiter did not dismiss the lawsuit, saying he would leave that decision up to the Kentucky court.

Matt Jones' mother is a judge in Eastern Kentucky

jbcarol

« Reply #1245 on: January 06, 2018, 11:39:21 am »

Yes, it was a real trophy Scott Cochran smashed up, and yes, he got in trouble for it

Alabama did receive a sort of participatory trophy for playing the national championship last year and it had been sitting in Scott Cochran’s office ever since, in hopes of serving as motivation.

However, on Thursday the strength and conditioning coach suddenly had a better idea and smashed it in the team’s locker room.

To his surprise, it shattered apart rather easily.

“Too much,” he said during media day at the National Championship Game on Saturday morning. “I wasn’t expecting that. I didn’t know it was going to blow up when it went to the ground. It’s amazing how quickly they all found out about that and how much trouble I got.

“I had to do squat-jumps, up-downs. I had to do scrolls, suicide rolls,” said Cochran, who is more used to being the one running punishment sessions.

When asked if had run it by Nick Saban first answered “yes, of course,” on “come on now” [sic] if his message was that second place wasn’t good enough.

However, on if it was his first trophy smash, Cochran paused and said: “I would have to say negative on that,”

jbcarol

« Reply #1246 on: January 08, 2018, 05:57:20 am »

KPRC 2 Houston‏Verified account @KPRC2

#BREAKING: Police search for missing journalist in Houston area http://bit.ly/2Fdksrb …

Car, purse, wallet, phone all found in Houston Galleria area. She’s still likely in camo fleece and orange Remington. Was seen as late as 5:45 Sunday afternoon

Brian Perroni
‏Verified account @Perroni247
30m30 minutes ago

We are still actively looking for Courtney and ask that if anybody even thinks they have seen her to call the Houston police. And a heads up that I have some pre-scheduled tweets for work I can’t delete so I hope it doesn’t come across as insensitive

jbcarol

« Reply #1247 on: January 08, 2018, 05:53:05 pm »

KPRC 2 Houston‏Verified account @KPRC2

#BREAKING: Police search for missing journalist in Houston area http://bit.ly/2Fdksrb …

Car, purse, wallet, phone all found in Houston Galleria area. She’s still likely in camo fleece and orange Remington. Was seen as late as 5:45 Sunday afternoon

Brian Perroni
‏Verified account @Perroni247
30m30 minutes ago

We are still actively looking for Courtney and ask that if anybody even thinks they have seen her to call the Houston police. And a heads up that I have some pre-scheduled tweets for work I can’t delete so I hope it doesn’t come across as insensitive

Brent Zwerneman
‏ @BrentZwerneman
8h8 hours ago

Sports reporter Courtney Roland found safe near Houston Galleria after disappearing over weekend http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Sports-reporter-Courtney-Roland-goes-missing-12481068.php … via @houstonchron

Courtney Roland, a Houston sports reporter reported missing on Saturday, has been located by Houston Police.

Her father told the Houston Chronicle she was found safe Monday morning. Houston Police said she may have become confused due to medications she was taking.

Roland, who covers Texas A&M football for AggieYell.com and Rivals.com, went missing not long after telling a friend late Saturday night that she believed she was being followed.

Her father, Steve Roland, said just after 8:30 a.m. Monday that she was found physically unharmed and that police were transporting her to a hospital for a check-up.

Houston police said that a passerby called police with information about Roland around 8:15 a.m., saying Roland was underneath an overpass at the 610 West Loop at Richmond. Officers arrived and confirmed it was her, then transported her to the hospital.

jbcarol

« Reply #1248 on: January 23, 2018, 05:52:53 am »

knoxnews‏ @knoxnews

University of Tennessee plans to demolish home of famed coach Gen. Robert Neyland, artist Russell Briscoe http://bit.ly/2mQSGbz

A Fort Sanders-area home occupied at different points by famed University of Tennessee football coach Gen. Robert Neyland and later by businessman and artist Russell Briscoe, is scheduled to be demolished this spring after falling into disrepair.

The white-washed brick house at 2111 Terrace Ave. is where Neyland and his wife lived during his first years as Tennessee's head coach and during the Volunteers' undefeated seasons in 1927, 1928 and 1929.

Now, more than 50 years after UT purchased the house in 1965, its condition has deteriorated. Demolition is scheduled for this spring, but a definite timeline hasn't been set.

he university said the connections to Briscoe and Neyland were notable, but not enough to justify saving the house or investing in repairs.

The planned demolition builds upon a decades-long fight over UT's expansion into the Terrace Avenue neighborhood.

Through the 1970s and 80s the street was a battleground between local residents who objected to the university moving into the neighborhood and UT's struggle to grow a college campus despite city space constraints.

jbcarol

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas