• 394,690 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heisman Trophy Winner Billy Cannon passed away  (Read 93 times)

Hogwild

Heisman Trophy Winner Billy Cannon passed away
« on: May 20, 2018, 02:14:24 pm »

The most acclaimed athlete Louisiana has ever produced, Cannon, the central figure on LSUís 1958 national championship football team, was a two-time All-American and the 1959 Heisman Trophy winner.

His epic 89-yard punt return in the fourth quarter against No. 3-ranked Ole Miss in 1959, in which he was at least touched by eight Rebels, remains one of the most memorable plays in college football history.

It was the difference in LSUís 7-3 victory, and that clip of grainy black-and-white film is still shown across the state on Halloween, the anniversary of what is considered the signature win in LSU football history.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_8537dc96-6b22-11e6-aea3-639b033f8014.html

hoglady

Re: Heisman Trophy Winner Billy Cannon passed away
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 04:31:37 pm »

Heck of a life.
Rough upbringing, pinnacle of sports success, took advantage of the education afforded him, fell to the demons and crashed - then redeemed himself.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

heavylifting

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:23:46 am »

I read about his passing on the Wall Street Journal website.

In the comments section was this reminiscence (Not from me), which I enjoyed --

"I was a part of another high school team that competed against Billy in track and basketball events.  Particularly, I remember a high school track meet in which Billy was running the 100 yard dash, the 440 yard relay, and the shot put.  I was at the shot put area, the other boys had already thrown the shot [a 12 pound shot in those days] with the longest throw about 35 feet.  Billy, who had been running the 100 yard dash [which he won], walked over, picked the shot, heaved it 45 feet, and said, "I'll take that one", and walked off, leaving the other guys with their mouths open, and the judge awarding Billy the 1st place.  He was an above average basketball player, a superb track star and a legend in football.  Billy was genuine, he was good, no, he was great!  He was a one of a kind athlete.  Rest in Peace, Billy....."

jbcarol

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 07:29:39 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas