• 395,513 Topics
• 22,307 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Rumor about Butch Davis  (Read 6298 times)

brooks74

Re: New Rumor about Butch Davis
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2005, 02:47:14 pm »

[Ummm... No he doesn't. He failed in Cleveland
Check your facts and read my whole post.  First, he took Cleveland to the playoffs.  Second, he was on Jimmy Johnson's staff as a coach and coordinator when they had "a little" success in the 90's.  So, he has succeeded in the NFL.

PennHOG

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2005, 02:48:46 pm »

[Ummm... No he doesn't. He failed in Cleveland
Check your facts and read my whole post. First, he took Cleveland to the playoffs. Second, he was on Jimmy Johnson's staff as a coach and coordinator when they had "a little" success in the 90's. So, he has succeeded in the NFL.

Part of the success is being able to keep a job.  They hated him in Cleveland.  Why?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HogHillbilly

• All-American Hogvillian
  • ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS NATIONAL CHAMPS - SOUNDS GOOD
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2005, 02:50:22 pm »

Gotcha Tomcat...............I was in the Navy for 9 years...............I KNOW about the sea thing a little..........Now I'm in the National Guard here in Fort Smith and go over-seas just as much I think...............

Tomhog™

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2005, 02:50:31 pm »

You hit the nail on the head Tomcat...................By the way, what made you pick Tomcat ?

I was given the nickname Tomcat about 10 years ago at a summer job. I just thought it'd be a unique id, easily distinguished from the others... Tom is my first name....

Aww. I always thought is was because you liked the web service Tomcat.

Sorry to disappoint you!   ;)

brooks74

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2005, 02:51:43 pm »

I'm not arguing he didn't end well in Cleveland.  I am saying check out other coaches who have "failed" in the NFL.  Carroll, Spurrier, etc, etc

Tomhog™

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2005, 02:52:13 pm »

Gotcha Tomcat...............I was in the Navy for 9 years...............I KNOW about the sea thing a little..........Now I'm in the National Guard here in Fort Smith and go over-seas just as much I think...............

Used to drive by the airport there when I made stops in Ft. Smith a coupla years ago.  I always liked going there...

PennHOG

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2005, 02:55:30 pm »

I'm not arguing he didn't end well in Cleveland. I am saying check out other coaches who have "failed" in the NFL. Carroll, Spurrier, etc, etc

Ok, you got me there.  Spurrier has a proven track record of taking programs in the toilet and making winners out of them.  That's the kind of coach we need.  If Butch Davis is that guy I'm cool with it.  If he's just another lucky coach to take over a ultra talented team and ride them to a NC.  I'll be skeptical.

Hawgon

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2005, 02:56:27 pm »

The REAL rumor is that wherever Butch goes he's taking Gus and Mitch with him.
I have no idea if there is any truth to it but I wouldn't want to be Frank or big Jim if it happens.

If that were true Mike, there really would be tanks on the hill. And I would be navigating one of them.

I first posited this theory weeks ago.  It makes perfect sense if they (Davis and Malzahn) really have been spending time together lately.  If you were Malzahn, who would you rather work for, Davis or Nutt?  I'll go so far as to say that there are only two ways Malzahn doesn't go with Davis somewhere else:  1) If Davis does actually end up at Arkansas; and 2) If Davis decides to sit things out one more year.  Otherwise, just based on common sense, Malzahn is gone with Davis, possibly taking Mustain with him.  No way any sane human being wants to work for an micro managing idiot like HDN when you can start on a brand new staff with someone like Butch Davis.  I'll even go one step farther.  The only way Malzahn ends up at Arkansas is if he has NO OTHER OFFERS at a school of equivalent stature.  If any other major division one school offers, he will go there and not take the Arkansas job.  No sane man would step into this mess if he doesn't have to.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 02:58:31 pm by Hawgon »

clew

• Hogvillian
  • Gulf Coast Arkansawyer from the Bluff
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2005, 02:57:14 pm »

just look at what he did with Miami.

brooks74

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2005, 02:59:22 pm »

Davis took over at Miami at the lowest point it has been in a long time.  Erikson sucked as a coach and ran them in the ground after he won a NC with Jimmy Johnson's players.  Butch Davis is a great coach, and will suceed wherever he ends up, unfortunately it looks like it won't be on the Hill unless he decides to sit another year.

HogHillbilly

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2005, 02:59:29 pm »

Ouch rain-man-crow , that hurt bro. You cut me deep man......................Do you not support the troops ?

WILL CLINTON

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2005, 03:00:36 pm »

why do you think Malzahn and Mustain are coming to Arkansas?  Because Davis ALREADY HAS THE JOB.  Of course they aren't going to come out and say it.  Since Rick Schaeffer, Bruce James, and the like have become the only people we believe, and they both say malzahn is coming to the hill next year, it would make perfect sense....

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2005, 03:02:22 pm »

I have no idea if there is any truth to it but I wouldn't want to be Frank or big Jim if it happens.

If that were true Mike, there really would be tanks on the hill. And I would be navigating one of them.

I first posited this theory weeks ago.  It makes perfect sense if they (Davis and Malzahn) really have been spending time together lately.  If you were Malzahn, who would you rather work for, Davis or Nutt?  I'll go so far as to say that there are only two ways Malzahn doesn't go with Davis somewhere else:  1) If Davis does actually end up at Arkansas; and 2) If Davis decides to sit things out one more year.  Otherwise, just based on common sense, Malzahn is gone with Davis, possibly taking Mustain with him.  No way any sane human being wants to work for an micro managing idiot like HDN when you can start on a brand new staff with someone like Butch Davis.  I'll even go one step farther.  The only way Malzahn ends up at Arkansas is if he has NO OTHER OFFERS at a school of equivalent stature.  If any other major division one school offers, he will go there and not take the Arkansas job.  No sane man would step into this mess if he doesn't have to.

I posted the same idea six weeks ago and got reemed by a number of posters for suggesting such extortion.

HogHillbilly

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2005, 03:04:04 pm »

When I hear it from Broyles, I'll believe it. Until then I'll sulk with another loosing season................But then again, what will we all talk about if Nuttless is gone ?

brooks74

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2005, 03:04:28 pm »

No offense dubyacee, but again you saying the Davis already has the job is just an unfounded rumor.  I will put more stake in what guys like Shaeffer, Irwin, and Bruce James say b/c one, they know people personally in the Athletic Dept. and two, they are held accountable for what they say b/c of their positions.  I don't agree with what they say all the time, I don't think that their opinion, outlook, etc etc is always right, but until you show some hard proof other than the famous unnamed sources, I have to believe Nutt will be back next year.  Don't have to like it though

WILL CLINTON

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2005, 03:10:20 pm »

Believe me,  I have no sources, inside information, and know noone even remotely associated to the program.  I am however trying to convince myself that it will come true, because if I can do that, then all I will see next year is Butch on the sidelines, and W's all over the schedule, no matter what is going on.  I was halfheartedly responding to the posts about Davis taking Malzahn and Mustain with him, because if we believe Rick, Bruce, Irwin and the like that Houston will be here next year, then we must also believe them about Malzahn and Mustain coming to the hill next year, right??

By the way, A GUY CAN STILL HOPE CANT HE?   ;D

brooks74

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2005, 03:13:31 pm »

Yea, we can still hope.  I am all for hoping.  Just tired of people(not you) claiming they have this "inside info" crap.  I am convinced that Malzahn and Mustain will be here next year, and I am hoping that D. Williams is here too.  My dad is close friends with a HC in the 5A West and that coach says that he thinks Malzahn is on his way to U of A, for what that is worth

HogHillbilly

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2005, 03:14:02 pm »

That's cool.............I'd probably do the same thing...............I actually printed out a big photo with Nutts face on it and hung it on the back of my fence. And I must say I'm getting pretty good with my BB gun..................

brooks74

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2005, 03:14:12 pm »

Butch Davis won't go anywhere to be an assistant.  It would be cool, but he can have his pick of jobs

HogHillbilly

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2005, 03:16:50 pm »

Butch Davis won't go anywhere to be an assistant.  It would be cool, but he can have his pick of jobs

Yeah.........Like Florida State.............

WILL CLINTON

« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2005, 03:20:26 pm »

What I dont understand, is when the BOT, JFB, whoever makes the decisions, looks at the pro's and con's of nutt vs. davis, does anyone really think that Davis couldn't do a better job??  I mean come on..

brooks74

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2005, 03:22:19 pm »

Who knows what they think.  We don't know if Davis has said anything about coaching the Hogs.  If it came down to that, I would think you would take Davis, but who knows.  If Davis comes, how much will we pay him?

HogHillbilly

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »

We'll pay him whatever he wants. We are paying Nutt 1.2 mil a year to lose.....................Damn, does anyone know where I can get a job like that !

hoggystyle78

• Citizen of Mandrake Falls and Lifelong Hog fan
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2005, 03:26:22 pm »

If Butch taking the Fla. St. job and taking Malzahn and Mustain with him happens I WILL BE DONE! That will prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that our administration dosen't give a shitt about a winning FB program. I will just watch college games on TV, but not the Hogs, and I will spend my hard earned money on Dallas Cowboys tickets. It will be friggin UNBELIEVABLE if JFB and Lindsey let this happen, but if they do, I say again I WILL BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WILL CLINTON

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2005, 03:28:31 pm »

I think its safe to say that if that happens, a lot of people will be done.  And it will mark the end of the Razorback football legacy.  if we have a chance to have a top notch coach, a true offensive genious, and probably the best qb from the state of arkansas in 25 years and somehow find a way to f it all up, well, lets not even think about it. 

brooks74

« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2005, 03:28:33 pm »

I don't see Bowden stepping down, and if he does, I think they already have a guy on staff that has one of those agreements that he will be coach.  Not sure on that, but I like Bowden and FSU and keep up with them a little, and I think I remember hearing that.  Maybe their O-Coordinator or someone like that

g.lynn

• Senior
  • Seen it, done it - Can't remember any of it.
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2005, 03:30:12 pm »

Don't forget D Williams in that scenario.

HogHillbilly

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2005, 03:33:50 pm »

What about all the other recruits that are SUPPOSED to come to Arkansas. If Butch can take Gus and Mitch, what would keep him from taking the whole lot of them. I would play for Butch instead of Nutt no matter where it was..............

HogHillbilly

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2005, 04:00:43 pm »

It could happen...................Butch could go somewhere else and take Gus and Mitch with him. Thanks Mike.....just when you think you couldn't sink any lower in the pig pen.......................

94 Hawg

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2005, 04:07:17 pm »

If this scenario plays out, I'd say the bright outlook for the future just went away. Not only would we lose an awesome in-state QB, but an awesome in-state coach that IS headed to the next level. I would then be totally assured that we have a bunch of dip-schits making the calls on the Hill. Not only that, but I would DEFINITELY not go to any more games or even waste an afternoon (evening) watching them get beat again on tv.

don't sound too bad really, I've always liked being in Tallahassee. wonder what the houses are sellin for down there?

PAHog

• Senior
  • It's my fault Nutt wasn't fired sooner
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2005, 04:15:11 pm »

Malzahn is a great coach, but he has never recruited...

He was the HC at Shiloh.  What do you mean he doesn't know how to recruit?

Since 1894

• I came to Arkansas because I am a huge "KEYS" Fan!
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2005, 04:16:57 pm »

Malzahn is a great coach, but he has never recruited...

He was the HC at Shiloh. What do you mean he doesn't know how to recruit?

THAT'S FUNNY RIGHT THERE

brooks74

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2005, 04:17:49 pm »

I think it's a little different recruiting a guy to play at a double A school by promising more PT than he would get at Springdale, Fayettevilee, Bentonville or Rogers.  But that is pretty funny

PulledPork

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2005, 04:19:46 pm »

How about Butch taking over next year, brings gus on board and then takes the FSU job with Gus moving up....

Pulled Out!

B Ray

« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2005, 04:56:38 pm »

I heard this rumor in Fay. this last weekend....But ,I also was thinking GREAT...with all this talk of firing Niutt, BD will be HC and Gus on staff and bring in alot of the Springdale 5 , But after the reassurance of HDN being here next year, I was wondering , this guy said that BD and GM would be coaching together next year no matter WHAT... Means no Arkansas JOB , that BD GM  and MM will be going elsewhere.. This SUX

Razorback Jedi

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2005, 05:07:29 pm »

I can see Butch, Gus, and Mitch going somewhere else before I can see all three of them on the Hill. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to read that Butch took a coaching job a the University of "x" and Mitch changed his committment.

Alas, such is the state of ARkansas football.

Cure

• Hogfan at Ohio State Univ
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2005, 05:13:20 pm »

I think our Football program is a load of BS right now...
The *bleep* is about to hit the fan if we lose Saturday :-\

HogHillbilly

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2005, 07:14:53 pm »

I can't wait till the LSU game to be over so we can all find out what is in store for next year...........

sowmonella

• Who threw a pizza on my roof?
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2005, 07:26:52 pm »

Mike if that happens mass hysteria would overwhelm the state. It would make the problems in France look minor.

whatsshakinbacon

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2005, 07:34:18 pm »

okay guys, this is getting nuts.

Theory: BD doesn't apparently need the money (The NFL buyout is paying him handsomely).  And following in Bowden's shoes at FSU is going to be a nightmarish comparison for whoever comes in.  BD's allegedly building a home in S'dale and nobody in the AD's office has voiced support publicly for Nutt in about 2 months.  Malzahn has been rumored for months to be headed to F'ville, as has his ace quarterback, who HAS already verbally committed. 

Nutt made one of the most desperate playcalls ever seen in Razorback stadium on Saturday, the same day that he took the redshirt off of a true freshman quarterback 7 games into the season.  JFB has a history of angrily reacting to poor coaching, his silence right now is almost stunning.

Pieces of the puzzle are all in place for a huge announcement, it's almost too obvious.  It has been the history of our athletic department (and most across the country) to not leak out coaching changes before it is time to announce them.  In fact, ours has been particularly good at disseminating misinformation to keep everyone off target (see Rick Schaeffer saying Nolan would be back the day before he was axed).

I have been wrong a number of times about a number of things, but it is very logical to conclude that our setup next year will be Butch Davis, Gus Malzahn, Reggie Herring, and Mitch Mustain at QB.  I know this is hopeful, but nobody has heard anything official to the contrary lately.

Bacon out...

« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 07:42:10 pm by whatsshakinbacon »

PintailKiller

« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2005, 07:35:44 pm »

Hope your right Bacon!

arkrzrbacks

• Hogvillian
  • Here we go Again
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2005, 08:04:15 pm »

Bacon if ya right, I'll buy ya a beer. Hell I know your right,,,, I'll buy ya a beer anyway....

<<<<<<<<<---------------------    Butch Davis is the one!

Feralhog

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2005, 08:11:29 pm »

Turn up the gas Ma, Bacon's cooking tonight.

whatsshakinbacon

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2005, 08:35:01 pm »

SIZZLE SIZZLE SIZZLE.

C'mon Feral - tell me one thing about my point that is proven invalid...

Sources aren't confirming otherwise right now.

Bacon out...

CorningHog

• "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord"
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2005, 08:36:06 pm »

I agree Bacon, the ONLY thing that is remotely calming about this situation of not hearing whether Nutt is REALLY coming back next year is that MR. FRANK BROYLES has not been seen backing his favorite son in about 2 months.  Early September in fact.  When me and some friends returned from Alabama that is what we had heard all over Alabama.  "When is Butch Davis coming?"  And then we get home to see Broyles telling the folks in Alabama who gave him an award in Birmingham that indeed, Houston Nutt is his man.

What is weird about this Butch Davis and Gus Malzahn thing is that it sure seems that Butch IS interested in the job at Arkansas and has publicly stated as much.  I mean, come on, we at least heard that part Sterling Sharpe said on the NFL Playbook show.  The bit about don't leave us Butch for that Arkansas job, you are getting too good at being an analyst.

Why would we not hear a lot more from Broyles unless there could really be a chance that Butch Davis is interested, Nutt heard about it, and then decided that maybe his "2 Year Free Pass" was not as secure as he thought.  You sure keep seeing the many faces of Dr Nutt on TV and on the sidelines.  Not that I would not be upset too at losing, but sometimes you see Nutt just as relaxed and laid back on TV during the week and then others we see a very concerned and almost nervous Houston Nutt talking to the media.  I guess we have to wait!

I know one thing, if Butch Davis and the Springdale bunch like John Tyson have given all the indications to Frank Broyles and Co. and there is a major "battle" between power boosters to allow Houston to keep his job, then shame on them.  I will be hugely disappointed and my decide to give up my season tickets if Gus, Butch and Mitch decide to take the show on the road.

I figure why worry about losing my location on my season tickets.  After another year of Houston, it won't matter.  I can go sit on the 40 yard line by myself on most Saturdays when the Hogs are in town during the 2007 season.

SaltPork

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2005, 08:43:38 pm »

Bobby Bowden is the only coach I know of who literally has in his contract that he is "coach for life". No kidding, it's in his contract.

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2005, 08:46:26 pm »

Bowden is not going anywhere as long as Paterno is at Penn State.   Means too much to him to be #1 in terms of victories.

hawgbawb

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tusk 'em Hogs.
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2005, 08:46:45 pm »

Malzahn is a great coach, but he has never recruited, never had the make sure players are going to class, etc, etc. I don't think he will be ready in two years to take over a D-1 program. I am all for him coming on next year as QB coach or WR coach, then in a couple of years being named OC, but don't see him being HC anytime soon

agreed. There's a lot more to be a HC than X's and O's. The  HC should be a good manager. motivator, recruiter, leader, etc. Some of those come natural for some folks, but most people have to learn the ropes for a few years. We don't need on the job training. I like what I hear about Malzahn -bring him on. But give him some time to grow into college ball.

Since 1894

• I came to Arkansas because I am a huge "KEYS" Fan!
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2005, 08:54:13 pm »

okay guys, this is getting nuts.

Theory: BD doesn't apparently need the money (The NFL buyout is paying him handsomely).  And following in Bowden's shoes at FSU is going to be a nightmarish comparison for whoever comes in.  BD's allegedly building a home in S'dale and nobody in the AD's office has voiced support publicly for Nutt in about 2 months.  Malzahn has been rumored for months to be headed to F'ville, as has his ace quarterback, who HAS already verbally committed. 

Nutt made one of the most desperate playcalls ever seen in Razorback stadium on Saturday, the same day that he took the redshirt off of a true freshman quarterback 7 games into the season. JFB has a history of angrily reacting to poor coaching, his silence right now is almost stunning.

Pieces of the puzzle are all in place for a huge announcement, it's almost too obvious.  It has been the history of our athletic department (and most across the country) to not leak out coaching changes before it is time to announce them.  In fact, ours has been particularly good at disseminating misinformation to keep everyone off target (see Rick Schaeffer saying Nolan would be back the day before he was axed).

I have been wrong a number of times about a number of things, but it is very logical to conclude that our setup next year will be Butch Davis, Gus Malzahn, Reggie Herring, and Mitch Mustain at QB.  I know this is hopeful, but nobody has heard anything official to the contrary lately.

Bacon out...

Bacon,

You know that I love you more than my cat.  but I am having trouble getting to sleep tonight, can you please come over and tell me another FAIRY TAIL?
come over and tell me another Fairy Tail.

HogHillbilly

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2005, 10:14:13 pm »

Well..........somebody out there has to know something.............It's only a matter of time before it leakes out if it's true......
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas