• 393,891 Topics
• 22,230 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bo and Mike today announced that Butch Davis is interested in the job  (Read 11295 times)

lumphog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I love this picture
Re: Bo and Mike today announced that Butch Davis is interested in the job
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2005, 08:10:25 pm »

Thanks Mike for reporting this to the public. You have done a GREAT deed. The people that want to keep Nutt DO NOT want this information public. As long as they Keep this Quite they have a chance to scam the public, but with this known and the shape of this program, they WILL have pressure to make the RIGHT decission. How can they let a coach like Butch get away and keep a coach that has been exposed as incompetant, and has embaressed the fans of this state. Now that the public knows that Butch wants the job the BOT and powers that be will have to make the popular decission. I think that JFB wants Nutt gone, h3ll he`s a coach and can see what he`s doing to this program. This is the leverage that he needs to get this done.........Once again, THANK YOU, You have done a GREAT thing that could brimg this once proud program BACK to the TOP.............You`re my HERO......I WANT BUTCH

NashvilleHog

• Varsity
  • The end of the HDN era
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2005, 08:20:17 pm »

I hope to hell that it happens.  Our football team is a trainwreck.  That being said, if we pass on the chance to hire BD we may as well all start to support another team.  I cannot believe that we would be dumb enough to squander a chance to get this big of a name into Fayetteville.  This is instant credibility for the program.

For those that say Butch didn't get it done in the NFL, I present to you Pete Carroll.  He didn't exactly burn it up in New York or New England. 

My concern is that people "in the know" are split on whether this goes down.  Dottie says it's not going to happen.  Makes you wonder  :-\

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PolishPigPower

• As useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller...
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2005, 08:23:41 pm »

This is like asking that girl out that is light years out of your league, but she says, "Yes".  In the back of your mind, you just keep wondering if she is going to call and cancel before Saturday night gets here.  I guess I'll believe we are having the date when Coach Davis is standing behind the podium with a grinning JFB at his side.  But, boy... do I ever want that date!

hawgbawb

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tusk 'em Hogs.
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2005, 08:24:59 pm »

What exactly did Bo and Mike say? I wasn't out of bed yet for the show this a.m.
They said they had heard from a very credible source that Davis was very much interested in the job and also that he was quietly "lobbying" for it.

Quietly lobbying? Like this Board?  Did he bankroll this thing?

forrest city joe

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2005, 08:27:40 pm »

Who  is  Dottie ?

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2005, 08:29:27 pm »

If the best coach is in Boise, Idaho, then get your ass on a plane to Idaho. That's a very different statement than if the best coach you can find is in Boise...go back and rethink how you hire a coach. Our hiring process is as responsible as is the decision-makers for HDN.

I love MLB. I enjoy watching pressers with the GM stating that the "manager has a vote of confidence and is this club's man to lead the team." Three days later they are gone. The job of the CEO of Razorback Football (JFB) is to give articulate, logical support for HDN as his man. Publically. If he's going to move another direction that better be terribly discreet and the ball rolling long before HDN is publically removed.

What if...and its a huge set of what ifs (I'll acknowledge that up front)...HDN wins out. Who cares if its pretty or ugly. He'd beat Spurrier on regional TV. He'd beat a good LSU team at LSU on national TV. We get a bowl game. We show out well, regardless of outcome. HDN  "purges" a couple of assistants who move on before being asked to. Ealy, Markuson, Wittke, Rocker, and Vaughn ought to do it. Malzahn is joined by upgrades at the other slots. Malzahn and Mustain plus a positive set of TV appearances (not to mention positive mention on the news for all of this) equates to another solid recruiting effort.

What then? Is that enough to satisfy the grumblers for the next 10 months? Is that enough to prove that HDN is indeed lucky, and the circumstances allow him to improve, even if his own maturation as coach isn't responsible for the changes?

BTW, I don't see all of that happening, but how far off base is it? We've all heard that we should travel to Baton Rouge fighting to be bowl eligible. We've all heard that there will be a host of new assistants next year, one way or another. Mustain and Malzahn are a formidable recruiting weapon.

I'm not a sunshine pumper. I'm not a hater. I am someone who gets real tired of groupthink.

MajorHog

• Varsity
  • www.HornHater.com - the shirt for Hog fans
    • HornHater shirts available here!
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2005, 08:30:44 pm »

Whats the worst that could happen by firing Nutt right now? What we lose a game or two? Would it really hurt the morale of the team? Would the fans protest and set bonfires in front of Broyles office? Fire the Nutt now and lets start rebuilding.... To the Future of the Razorbacks!!!! Go Hogs!!!!!!!

<<<<<<<-------- Butch Davis for Head Coach of the Great Arkansas Razorbacks!

what's the worst that could happen?  we'd be stuck with a lot of FIRE NUTT! shirts! 

PigMan

• Senior
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2005, 08:33:19 pm »

Oklahawg I second that motion...

NashvilleHog

• Varsity
  • The end of the HDN era
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2005, 08:34:02 pm »

FCJ....Dottie is supposedly a major insider.  However, the same could be said for any insider. 

As Mike said, there are those who are throwing it out there that BD isn't interested.  That looks like that couldn't be further from the truth.

whatsshakinbacon

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2005, 08:35:25 pm »

C'mon guys, JFB is the one who is letting this out.  He knows that the time is here and he'll let one guy start spreading the change possibility.  Next week, after we lose to SC, he will have two or three other sources out there spreading the word.  It works at a grassroots level so JFB doesn't appear to be KING of the hill but instead is following the groundwell of support of razorback fans to hire Butch.

This has worked in the past (see Ford coming on board as a "consultant"), and it is the modus operandi of JFB.  This is a done deal and by the time November 25th rolls around Broyles will be following legions of Razorback fans in making the change, instead of being a perceived "power-hungry" AD who went out and made the decision without support.

DONE DEAL!

Bacon out...

Oklahawg

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2005, 08:45:38 pm »

Guys, you may be missing something. Every coach on a hotseat has a hotshot replacement being jockeyed into position by those who want the change. Every coach on a hotseat has a bunch of "supporters" who will trot out the company line to protect the institution. Professional decorum prevents Butch from doing more than having his people lobby on his behalf in very discreet ways. You should expect an institutional supporter to trot out the company line for every "insider" with information on a prime replacement wanting the job.

Regardless of any pending change, or no pending change.

hawgfan_18

• Senior
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2005, 08:45:44 pm »

if butch truly wants the job, its his to take, wasn't broyles asking him to take it anyway?, if butch accepted the job tomorrow i think it wouldn't hurt recruiting at all, infact it may help it, we've got a few months still until signing day anyway. plus it would give me piece of mind knowing we had BD at the helm.

hawgbawb

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tusk 'em Hogs.
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2005, 08:47:31 pm »

Have a good friend here in NWA.

His son and Butch's son play in jr.golf tournaments.

My friend and Butch spent some time talking on the course during one of the events.

Butch made it very clear that he wanted the job and had a staff ready to hit the ground that day.

This was about 2 months ago.

Was that before or after Nutt recruited Mustain?

Philip Seaton

• Global Moderator
  • Hogvillian
  • "Hazard Yet Forward"
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2005, 08:56:59 pm »

Have a good friend here in NWA.

His son and Butch's son play in jr.golf tournaments.

My friend and Butch spent some time talking on the course during one of the events.

Butch made it very clear that he wanted the job and had a staff ready to hit the ground that day.

This was about 2 months ago.

Mustain has NOT signed and could still change his mind and lets hope that doesn't happen. My problem with all of the Mustain talk. Yeah, Nutt got Mustain to commit but what about the other three. All those that say Arkansas is such a small state and doesn't produce enough D1 athletes. Well three in the backyard of Fayetteville have committed elsewhere. Including a receiver that would give the Hogs a true horizontal passing game. Why isn't this mentioned more often?

Doyle Hograves

« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2005, 08:59:33 pm »

I agree... kudos to Nutt for getting Mustain, but he gets an F for the rest of the Springdale kids. Can you imagine the chemistry MM would have with Damien Williams? They'd be awesome together in college ball...

forrest city joe

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2005, 09:03:00 pm »

The  problem  with  nutt  is  its  always  something or  so  excuse  for  losing  another  game.  the  guy  is  under 500  in  the sec  in his 8  years  here. hes  0 and 4  this  year. and  he  has  home  losses in  those  years  to  vandy  and  Ky. its  not  working  folks.

hawgfan_18

• Senior
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2005, 09:06:51 pm »

recruiting should not be a damn excuse at arkansas, i mean honestly just look at the basketball team for a reference, heath hasn't once complained about recruiting. How many D1 recruits does tenneseee produce? not many. same as arkansas, Nutt doesn't realize you can recruit out of state i don't guess. iff the arkansas kids are good enough to play, let them. if not look elsewhereeee

arkrzrbacks

• Hogvillian
  • Here we go Again
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2005, 09:45:11 pm »

Coaches get credit for recruiting a local kid to college that all his life has bled Razorback red, Get a life Mustain is all hog!

Hog Bounty Hunter

« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2005, 09:47:30 pm »

I am not worried about Mustain, he is a Hog recruit, not a Nutt recruit.  Here is my question, why does a guy who is a professional coach and who lives in Cleveland Ohio go to Ft. Smith Arkansas to watch a HS football game on a Friday night?  Call me crazy but I think he may of wanted to see how his QB was doing.

e_dub

• Senior
  • Japanese food
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2005, 09:50:56 pm »

I am not worried about Mustain, he is a Hog recruit, not a Nutt recruit. Here is my question, why does a guy who is a professional coach and who lives in Cleveland Ohio go to Ft. Smith Arkansas to watch a HS football game on a Friday night? Call me crazy but I think he may of wanted to see how his QB was doing.

He certainly wasn't taking notes for Nutt.

wacohog

• Varsity
  • I think I think, ergo, I think I am...I think
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2005, 10:05:15 pm »

I get confused, didMustain commit to Nutt or to the university?

This is a relevant question. I don't know him, but I think that is safe to assume that Mitch's allegiance is to the Hogs....Just like mine would have been 25 yrs ago if I had possessed one iota of football talent in this 5' 11" 210 lb. body(a fat body at that.) I would have gone to Arkansas to play football under Lassie if I could have..it is in my blood. I would guess perhaps MM is the same. If so, why does HDN get so much credit for "landing" MM and he Doesn't get any grief for losing 3 major prospects on the same Springdale team.

Just plain doesn't make sense...

One last thing....
You know why some of you are so scared to back a change in coaches?...fear of success. Anyone in the business world has seen people who are terrified to take the calculated risk. People with talent, brains and completely lacking in the confidence to rise up to the challenge, kick down the doors and grab destiny  by the throat.
Inferiority complex, fear of failure, need for approval from authority figures...some of you seem to suffer from these types of  maladies...let's just hope JFB doesn't share in your affliction so we can make the change we need to win.

Rich

e_dub

• Senior
  • Japanese food
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2005, 10:08:59 pm »

This is a relevant question. I don't know him, but I think that is safe to assume that Mitch's allegiance is to the Hogs....Just like mine would have been 25 yrs ago if I had possessed one iota of football talent in this 5' 11" 210 lb. body(a fat body at that.) I would have gone to Arkansas to play football under Lassie if I could have..it is in my blood. I would guess perhaps MM is the same. If so, why does HDN get so much credit for "landing" MM and he Doesn't get any grief for losing 3 major prospects on the same Springdale team.

One last thing....
You know why some of you are so scared to back a change in coaches?...fear of success. Anyone in the business world has seen people who are terrified to take the calculated risk. People with talent, brains and completely lacking in the confidence to rise up to the challenge, kick down the doors and grab destiny by the throat.
Inferiority complex, fear of failure, need for approval from authority figures...some of you seem to suffer from these types of maladies...let's just hope JFB doesn't share in your affliction so we can make the change we need to win.

Rich

post of the day

Fire Numb Nutts!!!

• Senior
  • Damn you, Numb Nutts and Big Senile Frank!!!
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2005, 11:37:48 pm »

I'll believe it when I see it -- I was sooooo disappointed when Numb Nutts didn't get on the plane to Nebraska, so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. Don't forget, the rank and file of the razorback nation have been exceedingly tolerant of entrenched mediocrity for a long, long time.

Of course, even if Davis replaces Numb Nutts this, there's still Big Senile Frank in the picture, which is not good.

Flatfoot

• Old School Hog!
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2005, 11:47:25 pm »

Polyanna Rick on DTS says that HDN WILL be the coach next year.  I am like JYH, I got serious wood just thinking about BUTCH coaching here next year with Malzahn at the QB coaching position.  Oh please, please, please, let this be true. 

WE WANT BUTCH, WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH, WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH, WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH,WE WANT BUTCH!

the donger

• Senior
  • Automobeel!
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2005, 12:37:50 am »

Okay, here we go. A few years ago, I was sitting in my office at a local  facility. I looked up and saw BD and his wife. I jumped up and went to talk with him. I gave them a tour and he asked a lot of questions about what we offered for kids. This was during one of the many times people were clamoring about firing HDN. Butch was still coaching in Cleveland. I was really wanting to ask him why he was interested. When we were finished with the tour and they were leaving I finally asked him if he was coming to Arkansas. His response was, "no, just curious".
Just by the look on his face and the way he responded I knew there was more to the story.
Bottom line, I believe he has been courted by the UofA before.
Food for thought!

dirty stanchez

« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2005, 01:22:17 am »

I have a source.

It says Butch is UA's next head coach.

HogsRule

• Senior
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2005, 01:35:10 am »

by your logic the head coach doesn't make a difference in Mitch's case but has everything to do with losing the other 3. awesome. If that's the case, I guess our recruiting will never get better because the coach has nothing to do with it.
Worst post of the day

Jackal

• Band Nerd
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2005, 02:27:41 am »

If they fired Nolan for a decline in the program then Nutt should be gone also. Tired of hearing excuses. Enough is Enough!! From the top of the program to the bottom the excuses have got to stop and to go out a get the job done.
You need to remember back.  Nolan was not fired for a decline in the program.  It was only because he opened is mouth and stated he would quit immediately if they bought out his contract.  He could not be trusted to run the program the way it should be run when Broyles had the thought that Nolan could leave so easy.  Nolan was just pissed off because he never thought they would ever fire him for his comments.  So he thought it to be a racial issue.  The quality of the program was never an issue.

dirty stanchez

« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2005, 02:35:50 am »

The quality of the program was a major issue.

The only reason Nolan wasn't fired sooner was b/c we miraculously won the SEC tournament.

kratter

• Varsity
  • Fair Play at its finest
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2005, 03:01:31 am »

I am not worried about Mustain, he is a Hog recruit, not a Nutt recruit. Here is my question, why does a guy who is a professional coach and who lives in Cleveland Ohio go to Ft. Smith Arkansas to watch a HS football game on a Friday night? Call me crazy but I think he may of wanted to see how his QB was doing.
HBH,
Was BD at the Northside game on Friday??

lunchbox72703

• Resident Nerd
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2005, 03:29:45 am »

Just Curious........Can we get a backstory on Davis....Arkansas Ties, Coaching History, ect ect.   I like the guy, I just don't him all that well though.  Thanks!

NEAHAWG

« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2005, 05:50:24 am »

Nutt should have been gone 2 or 3 yrs ago.

That is very similar to what was said about Nolan. How does how admin. keep allowing for these declines in our programs?

You're preaching to the choir brother, Broyles needs to be shown the way to the rest home.

In JFB's defense, he wanted to fire Nolan in 2000 and we ended up winning the SECT and John White wouldn't let him. White has as much to do with our decline as JFB. It was his late 90's power play that stuck us with a lazy Nolan and HDN.
One hundred percent correct.  White does not get blamed for any of this and his meddleing caused quite a bit.
1.  He is the one that signed Nolan to a 7 year deal and removed Frank from evaluating him.
2.  He sat up the "Hiring committee" that chose Nutt over Tubberville.
3.  He tried to get Frank replaced by Bev Lewis.
4.  It was the above action that put JLindsey in control because he was on the board to stop the Bev Lewis coup.

wacohog

• Varsity
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2005, 06:03:48 am »

hogsrule...

Generally speaking, one must read the entire post to understand it.

by your logic the head coach doesn't make a difference in Mitch's case but has everything to do with losing the other 3. awesome. If that's the case, I guess our recruiting will never get better because the coach has nothing to do with it.
Worst post of the day

Hogsrule:

The point I made is this: how do so many HDN supporters cite MM's verbal commit as evidence that no change in coaches is needed , yet they DON'T hold HDN accountable for the loss of 3 others of the Springdale 5. The logic is clear; I'm not quite sure how you missed it.If you need more help in this regard, all you need to do is ask!!

BTW, I have seen no evidence that shows ANY upward trends in our recruiting...even this year

Rich

Rich

Hog Bounty Hunter

« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2005, 06:26:35 am »

HBH,

I was told that he was.

hawgbawb

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tusk 'em Hogs.
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2005, 06:48:38 am »

If the best coach is in Boise, Idaho, then get your ass on a plane to Idaho. That's a very different statement than if the best coach you can find is in Boise...go back and rethink how you hire a coach. Our hiring process is as responsible as is the decision-makers for HDN.

I love MLB. I enjoy watching pressers with the GM stating that the "manager has a vote of confidence and is this club's man to lead the team." Three days later they are gone. The job of the CEO of Razorback Football (JFB) is to give articulate, logical support for HDN as his man. Publically. If he's going to move another direction that better be terribly discreet and the ball rolling long before HDN is publically removed.

What if...and its a huge set of what ifs (I'll acknowledge that up front)...HDN wins out. Who cares if its pretty or ugly. He'd beat Spurrier on regional TV. He'd beat a good LSU team at LSU on national TV. We get a bowl game. We show out well, regardless of outcome. HDN "purges" a couple of assistants who move on before being asked to. Ealy, Markuson, Wittke, Rocker, and Vaughn ought to do it. Malzahn is joined by upgrades at the other slots. Malzahn and Mustain plus a positive set of TV appearances (not to mention positive mention on the news for all of this) equates to another solid recruiting effort.

What then? Is that enough to satisfy the grumblers for the next 10 months? Is that enough to prove that HDN is indeed lucky, and the circumstances allow him to improve, even if his own maturation as coach isn't responsible for the changes?

BTW, I don't see all of that happening, but how far off base is it? We've all heard that we should travel to Baton Rouge fighting to be bowl eligible. We've all heard that there will be a host of new assistants next year, one way or another. Mustain and Malzahn are a formidable recruiting weapon.

I'm not a sunshine pumper. I'm not a hater. I am someone who gets real tired of groupthink.

Thank you Oklahog!   Just when I thought all the Board Moderators were darksiders.

e_dub

• Senior
  • Japanese food
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2005, 08:21:35 am »

What if...and its a huge set of what ifs (I'll acknowledge that up front)...HDN wins out. Who cares if its pretty or ugly. He'd beat Spurrier on regional TV. He'd beat a good LSU team at LSU on national TV. We get a bowl game. We show out well, regardless of outcome. HDN "purges" a couple of assistants who move on before being asked to. Ealy, Markuson, Wittke, Rocker, and Vaughn ought to do it. Malzahn is joined by upgrades at the other slots. Malzahn and Mustain plus a positive set of TV appearances (not to mention positive mention on the news for all of this) equates to another solid recruiting effort.

Thank you Oklahog! Just when I thought all the Board Moderators were darksiders.

That's a lot of what if situations, all of which will NOT happen.  The point is, this is a tired argument that will never be won.  There are those that love houston nutt and those of us who have lost faith in him and will never get it back.  It's kind of like the current president, there are those that think he's great and those that think he's a complete moron and will never see different.  But let's keep arguing.  It's fun.

wacohog

• Varsity
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2005, 09:03:59 am »

Oklahog and Bawb,

All of us who clamor for a new coach are not espousing views taught to us in "groupthink" class. Nor are we all "darksiders."
Many, like me, have merely come to the conclusion that there  is nothing, and I mean nothing, that can occur in the next 4 games which can change opinions formed in over 80 games of the HDN "ride."

Rich

HogsRule

• Senior
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2005, 09:30:07 am »

hogsrule...

Generally speaking, one must read the entire post to understand it.

Worst post of the day

Hogsrule:

The point I made is this: how do so many HDN supporters cite MM's verbal commit as evidence that no change in coaches is needed , yet they DON'T hold HDN accountable for the loss of 3 others of the Springdale 5. The logic is clear; I'm not quite sure how you missed it.If you need more help in this regard, all you need to do is ask!!

BTW, I have seen no evidence that shows ANY upward trends in our recruiting...even this year

Rich

Rich

And why do so many darksiders blame Houston for losing the 3 recruits but give him no credit for the 2 he got (or any for that matter).

whatsshakinbacon

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2005, 11:01:22 am »

HDN is 40% recruiting in his own back yard.  That's not a darksider or nutthugger statement...it is a fact.

By all accounts, that sux.

Bacon out...

WILL CLINTON

« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2005, 11:28:42 am »

HBH, hope you didn't mind but I am using statement about finding a coach in Boise as my sig line now.  Best post of the year!!

Oklahawg

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2005, 09:26:09 pm »

Groupthink--as I remember faintly from a college course--is a dangerous exercise where rational thought is derailed by a cycle of ideas that springboard from the last idea, all spiraling quickly into senseless talk. It is a failed exercise in small-group problem-solving, which is what many of us attempt to do here from time to time.

Much of the Fire HDN stuff is childish regurgitations of shallow thought processes hinging too much on emotion and too little on hardcore issues that are actually "fireable offenses" in the professional world. That little statement about a 2-year cushion way back when is a legal disclaimer that will be hard to get around, regardless of on-the-field issues or flirtations with other schools. Firing HDN will require some guile because of this.

30 percent of the anti-HDN threads could be lumped together in a giant rant. Little is added to the discussion very often. We are left to categorize the latest gaffe (ie, Hillis still returning punts) under the appropriate category.

The supporters are in the same boat--little is happening to sway things one way or the other, with only anecdotal evidence being produced. The scenario of "what ifs" I offer above, as outrageous as it seems to most of us, is likely the only scenario that allows HDN to stick around intact because it would indicate some sort of behind the scenes shift in administrative skills by the head hog.

Look at college football this year. Fisher DeBerry has a meltdown at Air Force. Bill Callahan has a meltdown at Nebraska. Has there been a D1 HC fired yet? Resigned? I don't recall one, but its possible. My point is that there are almost 120 D1 schools either happy with, or tolerant of, or riding out the string with them. These last four games will go a long ways towards finalizing booster mood, not to mention that of the casual fanbase. CASUAL fanbase. What percentage of ticket holders NEVER log-on to a single message board? I don't know, but I'm guessing that the average Razorback Fan--a far larger group than ticket holders, of course--looks at this much more superficially than virtually every poster around here.

If you don't think 4 games can swing things in HDN's favor look what those 4 games in the SEC tourney did for Nolan. He won the SEC and may well have kept his job.

I'm sure Wilson and other educator types can verify this from their own teaching background. A few years back a football coach at a local high school was called in to report to the school board on the season. Happened every year, even if its abnormal. He had narrowly missed the playoffs for the first time in several years but had HUGE injury problems, not to mention two stars booted from school for drugs. He was fired, 5-0, as coach by the board. Without ANY discussion. Not one administrator saw it coming. The school board president said this to ME about 3 months later:  "Only one board member had a hard-on for the coach, but he kept talking and talking and talking and the rest of us felt he made more sense the longer he went."

HDN would seem to be on the way out the door. Stranger things have happened then HDN being kept, and not having to gut the staff and sell his soul to do it. Stranger things have happened than HDN and Co sticking around and having a banner recruiting class and a stellar 2006 season. But, that'd be pretty strange by most accounts.

What's the rule:  the easiest or simplest explanation is probably the best?

If the season was over today and we ended up at 2-5 then I see HDN taking a position elsewhere or resigning to "allow the university to move another direction" with JFB and others singing his praises. I suspect that JFB will assist HDN in getting another job offer, even if HDN doesn't even know that's happening.

e_dub

• Senior
  • Japanese food
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2005, 09:39:14 pm »

oklahawg,

I need to know about the two year statement.  You say it will take a considerable amount of guile to fire Nutt because of this.  I'm not saying you're wrong, or that others are right, I want to know more about that aspect of the current situation(or debacle, however you want to describe it).  Would the "fireable offenses" make up for this slip of the tongue by JFB?

reddogfan

« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2005, 06:34:11 pm »

HBH,

That was a rumor going around late last week. I didn't see him at the game.

He might have been there and I missed him. Or it might have been yet another rumor floating around the Springdale program. We heard ESPN was going to televise Mustain's press conference. That wasn't true. We heard ESPN was going to show highlights of the Springdale/Northside game during halftime of the Friday night college game. That wasn't true.
Actually, the ESPN deal was offered to Mustain and Coach Malzahn.  They turned it down because it was only on ESPN News, not on Sportscenter like the offer was initially.  So, I guess it can pass for half a rumor?  Don't know, just thought I'd pass that along...

artyhog

• Enjoying one with the Misses!
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2005, 06:36:52 pm »

One last thing....
You know why some of you are so scared to back a change in coaches?...fear of success. Anyone in the business world has seen people who are terrified to take the calculated risk. People with talent, brains and completely lacking in the confidence to rise up to the challenge, kick down the doors and grab destiny by the throat.
Inferiority complex, fear of failure, need for approval from authority figures...some of you seem to suffer from these types of maladies...let's just hope JFB doesn't share in your affliction so we can make the change we need to win.

Rich

Listen if you are giving credit to Nutt for the so called poor recruits, then he gets the credit for ALL recruits.

KEEP NUTT!!!

Hog Bounty Hunter

« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2005, 07:17:40 pm »

One last thing....

Rich

Listen if you are giving credit to Nutt for the so called poor recruits, then he gets the credit for ALL recruits.

KEEP NUTT!!!

Arty do you remember what that young lad said at our last tailgate?  Nutt is done, his players have quit.  You need to get on the Butch Bandwagon and save money for the early ticket special, tickets at the door for you Nutt Huggers are going to be high.

artyhog

« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2005, 07:35:04 pm »

One last thing....

Rich

KEEP NUTT!!!

Arty do you remember what that young lad said at our last tailgate? Nutt is done, his players have quit. You need to get on the Butch Bandwagon and save money for the early ticket special, tickets at the door for you Nutt Huggers are going to be high.

I heard it.  I still can not believe that he said it.  Talking about having a sack.

hawgbawb

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tusk 'em Hogs.
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2005, 07:38:31 pm »

recruiting should not be a damn excuse at arkansas, i mean honestly just look at the basketball team for a reference, heath hasn't once complained about recruiting. How many D1 recruits does tenneseee produce? not many. same as arkansas, Nutt doesn't realize you can recruit out of state i don't guess. iff the arkansas kids are good enough to play, let them. if not look elsewhereeee
In my pinion,.

A. Tennesseee does have considerably more D1 recruits than Ark. At least half again as many.
B. It's easier to assemble a quaity BB team at Ark because of tradition. Arkansas basketball has name recognition and national respect. Arkansas football lost it decades ago. Part of that is the result of going to the SEC and its tougher schedule. When Ark joined the SEC, we raised the bar for basketball for the conference. We were the only team that could beat Kentucky more often than once every 5 or 6 years. In football, we couldn't compete. We could after Nutt came along, until the last 2 years when the talent level of the players dropped.

artyhog

« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2005, 07:39:56 pm »

In my pinion,.

A. Tennesseee does have considerably more D1 recruits than Ark. At least half again as many.
B. It's easier to assemble a quaity BB team at Ark because of tradition. Arkansas basketball has name recognition and national respect. Arkansas football lost it decades ago. Part of that is the result of going to the SEC and its tougher schedule. When Ark joined the SEC, we raised the bar for basketball for the conference. We were the only team that could beat Kentucky more often than once every 5 or 6 years. In football, we couldn't compete. We could after Nutt came along, until the last 2 years when the talent level of the players dropped.

Agreed.

wacohog

• Varsity
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2005, 07:54:14 pm »

Arty,

Read my post. I DO give Nutt all the credit due. In fact , I give him credit for our consistent recruiting classes rated from about #25 to #32 or so. I give hime credit for (hopefully)landing a 5-star QB and STILL having a class rated at this time at #8 or 9 in the SEC...which is where we always rate under HDN.

I could probably give you other examples of recruiting mediocrity that we can "credit" to HDN if you like; however, we'd both be bored while we beat the same old "horses."

DisplacedHogFan

• Senior
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2005, 08:08:15 pm »

Bill Callahan has a meltdown at Nebraska.

You have to win 10 games at Nebraska in a year in order to be fired...just ask Frank Solich....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas