• 396,421 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Stan Heath thinking?  (Read 6482 times)

UAGrad95

Re: What is Stan Heath thinking?
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2005, 08:48:41 am »

Maybe we could save this thread and see how foolish/prophetic it is after Maui. I seriously doubt if there is any scenario in which we do not improve, barring injury to half of the experienced players. Stan was a project from Day One, he has had to learn on the job how to run a major college program and for my money the jury is still out. I would like to see at least another year before we tar and feather the man. He is beginning to recruit to his needs better and he finally has a group of kids who have bought into his system(so they are now saying at least). Lets back off and let the man have his chance. At this point in Nolan's tenure, no one would have predicted 1994. JMO.

I don't see us even competing with anyone in Maui other than Chaminade. That's a probably 3 losses. Then we should lose further non-conference games to Misery and tejas tech. Then I see us doing no better than 6-10 or 7-9 in the conference. OK, so maybe that's 8 non-con wins and 7 conference wins. Fifteen wins is indeed more than 14. Since you're bashing my prediction on conference wins, lets see where those wins will come....We split with both Mississippi schools and LSU (3-3), are swept by Alabama, and Auburn (3-7), we beat UGA and South Carolina (5-7) from the East and get pounded by UK and UF (5-9). That leaves Vandy and tennesuck. We win both and it's 7-9 (best case scenario). Split 'em and it's 6-10 (most likely). Lose both and it's 5-11.

Enlighten me as to where I'm missing wins here.

You are way beyond rational enlightenment, trust me.

Come on Mr. Naismith, tell me which games I have penciled in as losses that should be wins. Tell me why. Do you think we'll win at Lexington? How about Baton Rouge? Starkville? How about against an Alabama team we've never beaten, even when leading by 10 with under 5 minutes to play at home?

If you know so much...if you're such an authority, tell me. I'm listening.

An Alabama team we have never beaten?

What's the point if you will throw out complete untruths? You will continue with your same lameness no matter how much logic someone uses with you.

What's the date and score of Stan Heath's win over Alabama?

Extra Point

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2005, 08:52:59 am »

u might be right about health not being able to run a div. 1 school,,lets at least wait untill the season starts,,is this the same people who was on nutt;s back before mustain signed,,and now don't have anything to do,,so they have to find someing to bitch about?

I'm not on Nutt's back yet. In my opinion he's earned the right to try to straighten things out this season. I can't say I'm happy with several things going on up there -- play calling, switching players' positions constantly, and letting some prize recruits like DeAngelo Williams and Cedric Houston slip away. However I have seen flashes of what can be with Nutt.

I can guarantee you this...if he has a team that competes well with USC in the early season, then as the season goes on turns into a bunch of soft quitters, then I'll give him the same grief I'm giving Heath.

Double standard....

Nutt had THREE JUCO LB's who were supposed to be much needed help. How many will play this fall? NONE.

Heath has one JUCO who COULD play 2/3rd's of the season and you berate him.

Again, DOUBLE STANDARD.

There's a big difference in the two coaches' situations. In Nutt's tenure we've seen at least fleeting ability to pull off some big wins -- even play long stretches of quality ball. He's had 3 seasons where we went to REAL bowl games - 2 cotton and 1 Citrus. His 1-2 record in those should be better, but at least we were there, and we did knock off tejas. With all Nutt's admitted faults, his track record has earned him this season to try to prove himself.

Heath has now had 3 full seasons to show us something, and we've seen zip. He's not built up any credibility and has earned no more slack. He has to produce now. He should have been sent packing after the tennesuck game in the SECT.

Your comparison is SERIOUSLY flawed.  When Nutt arrived, he had players who should have beaten eventual NC Tennessee.  When Heath arrived, the program was in complete shambles with a bunch of role players at best.

Once Ford's players were gone, we have been banished to the MCB, Indy, Vegas and staying home.  Not much "sign" of greatness there.

BTW, I think Nutt and Heath should both be given more time.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Extra Point

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2005, 08:53:39 am »

Maybe we could save this thread and see how foolish/prophetic it is after Maui. I seriously doubt if there is any scenario in which we do not improve, barring injury to half of the experienced players. Stan was a project from Day One, he has had to learn on the job how to run a major college program and for my money the jury is still out. I would like to see at least another year before we tar and feather the man. He is beginning to recruit to his needs better and he finally has a group of kids who have bought into his system(so they are now saying at least). Lets back off and let the man have his chance. At this point in Nolan's tenure, no one would have predicted 1994. JMO.

I don't see us even competing with anyone in Maui other than Chaminade. That's a probably 3 losses. Then we should lose further non-conference games to Misery and tejas tech. Then I see us doing no better than 6-10 or 7-9 in the conference. OK, so maybe that's 8 non-con wins and 7 conference wins. Fifteen wins is indeed more than 14. Since you're bashing my prediction on conference wins, lets see where those wins will come....We split with both Mississippi schools and LSU (3-3), are swept by Alabama, and Auburn (3-7), we beat UGA and South Carolina (5-7) from the East and get pounded by UK and UF (5-9). That leaves Vandy and tennesuck. We win both and it's 7-9 (best case scenario). Split 'em and it's 6-10 (most likely). Lose both and it's 5-11.

Come on Mr. Naismith, tell me which games I have penciled in as losses that should be wins. Tell me why. Do you think we'll win at Lexington? How about Baton Rouge? Starkville? How about against an Alabama team we've never beaten, even when leading by 10 with under 5 minutes to play at home?

What's the point if you will throw out complete untruths? You will continue with your same lameness no matter how much logic someone uses with you.

We have played Bama for more than 3 years, pad'ner.

UAGrad95

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2005, 08:57:53 am »

This whole discussion is about Heath's performance here, so you know as well as I do that my reference to never beating Bama was under heath's tenure.  So, I'll spell it out for you "pad'nah" -- An Arkansas Razorbacks Team Coached By Stan Heath Has Never Beaten Alabama In Basketball On A Basketball Court With A Basketball And Two Goals, So What Makes You Think This Year Will Be Any Different?  Come on, "pad'nah" don't avoid answering the question by playing semantics here.  If you can't answer me, that's fine.  Admit you're on the wrong side of this discussion.  There's no shame in it. 

Seriously, show me where the wins will be that I have penciled in as losses.

"Pad'nah"

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2005, 09:16:33 am »

Hey, bonehead....

He graduated from Monterrey just fine. Speculation is he did not have the 40% which has NOTHING to do with grades.

It was not until recently redshirting became an option. NEVER an issue when recruited.

Go back in the closet, batboy.

If a guy is ineligible for a semester because of grades (Joe Johnson), or if he's ineligible for a semester because he hasn't completed 40 percent of his degree work, what's the difference. He's still ineligible.
Read Heath's quotes, he said they KNEW WHEN THEY WERE RECRUITING HIM that he wouldn't be eligible before December. That was true then, and it's true now, and now they decided he also should redshirt. Anyone who calls that good planning and finding an outside shooter for this team, particularly when the team's best outside shooter just bolted, is so in deep to the party line it's silly.
Btw, EP, even Biggus will tell you I've stuck it out with Heath longer than anybody. I still want to see him succeed, but this latest news, and the fact that they basically knew McBride wasn't going to factor this year, astounds me in how he's tried to build the program back. Apparently signing good shooters or, if not shooters, enough tood defenders, was never a consideration in his four years of recruiting.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 09:20:06 am by drakehog »

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2005, 09:17:27 am »

This whole discussion is about Heath's performance here, so you know as well as I do that my reference to never beating Bama was under heath's tenure. So, I'll spell it out for you "pad'nah" -- An Arkansas Razorbacks Team Coached By Stan Heath Has Never Beaten Alabama In Basketball On A Basketball Court With A Basketball And Two Goals, So What Makes You Think This Year Will Be Any Different? Come on, "pad'nah" don't avoid answering the question by playing semantics here. If you can't answer me, that's fine. Admit you're on the wrong side of this discussion. There's no shame in it.

Seriously, show me where the wins will be that I have penciled in as losses.

"Pad'nah"

we beat Bama at home Heath's first season.

mikeirwin

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2005, 09:37:15 am »

I think everyone is aware that last year was not good, should be better, but isn't. But I'm not gonna defend Heath to someone who thinks Brewer is overrated. c'mon man, this is the make or break year. Let's give him the year to do or die not insist on his firing before the year begins. Heath knows it, JFB knows it, you know it, I know it. Give the year and quit complaining. You and I don't have the awesome responsibility of pulling the trigger on the man's coaching career and family.

Bacon out...

I gave him last year. I went into that season believing he was going to turn the corner. He should have, given what was in place. However, that group of players got progressively worse from one game to the next. That can't be recruiting. It can't be bad luck, bad officiating, or a few buzzer beaters that didn't fall. It's Stan Heath's fault that the players quit on him and got worse as the year went along.

I don't need to see Stan Heath's Hogs Version 4.0 -- I've witnessed the last 3 and he's proven he doesn't have what it takes. Furthermore, the one thing that concerns me more than anything is that I do NOT believe this is his "make or break" year with JFB, which is really troubling. He got the year tagged onto his contract, which tells me JFB is not yet as pissed as he should be. I fear Heath will win about 14 or fewer games this year and STILL not get canned.

What guys like you don't understand is JFB would only pay to get a guy with little or no HC'ing experience. He had the chance to get Bill Self from Illinois and would not pay him what the market demanded.

Therefore, don't b!tch and moan about Heath sucking unless you are willing to get out your checkbook and write at least another $700,000 check. Anyone with half a basketball brain knows it will take at least $1.5MM per year to get an experienced HC in Fayetteville.

BTW, if you don't like the basketball team, DON'T F'IN GO to the games.

Thanks, bud. I've quit going. I've also withdrawn my financial support until something changes at the end of the Razorback bench. I never gave Jim Lindsey money, so I'm sure my support is not missed. But I will tell you this....I'll start sending in the checks again when they are going to pay Stan Heath NOT to coach my Hogs. I was a full Stan Heath backer for 2.5 seasons. I felt it was my obligation as a HOG fan to stick with him with my money and my voice at games, but after I saw the way his team started strong and then began to quit in the face of adversity, I could no longer support something like that in good conscience.

There is plenty of money in NWA to buy out SH at $700,000 -- if the right people even cared anymore. I don't think the Jim Lindseys and John Tysons even care about Hog basketball anymore. They've sunk to irrelevance, even in their own back yard.

And YET again, you miss my point and misunderstand my words.

I stated it would take another MINIMUM $700k on top of Heath's current $800K salary to get someone who would satisfy you. Broyles will NOT pay that much. He doesn't even pay Nutt that much. Self wanted that kind of money and Self ended up scoffing at Broyles offer. Where is Self now? At a top 10 program paying him market value.
Frank would have coughed up the money to get Self. The U of Lawyers were telling him that he couldn't offer Self more than Nolan had been getting. They were scared of the lawsuit that was sure to follow.
Frank offered Self a thousand dollars less than Nolan's final salary, something like 1.037 million. Self immediately took that figure to Illiniois' AD and got himself a raise. Frank was advised not to go any higher.

UAGrad95

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2005, 09:46:23 am »

It takes a gentleman and a scholar like Mr. Drake to bring the facts.  It's been so long since we won over a quality opponent that I'd forgotten his win at BWA.  Thanks for correcting me - again.  You dig doing that, don't you?

UAGrad95

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2005, 09:54:48 am »

I think everyone is aware that last year was not good, should be better, but isn't. But I'm not gonna defend Heath to someone who thinks Brewer is overrated. c'mon man, this is the make or break year. Let's give him the year to do or die not insist on his firing before the year begins. Heath knows it, JFB knows it, you know it, I know it. Give the year and quit complaining. You and I don't have the awesome responsibility of pulling the trigger on the man's coaching career and family.

Bacon out...

I gave him last year. I went into that season believing he was going to turn the corner. He should have, given what was in place. However, that group of players got progressively worse from one game to the next. That can't be recruiting. It can't be bad luck, bad officiating, or a few buzzer beaters that didn't fall. It's Stan Heath's fault that the players quit on him and got worse as the year went along.

I don't need to see Stan Heath's Hogs Version 4.0 -- I've witnessed the last 3 and he's proven he doesn't have what it takes. Furthermore, the one thing that concerns me more than anything is that I do NOT believe this is his "make or break" year with JFB, which is really troubling. He got the year tagged onto his contract, which tells me JFB is not yet as pissed as he should be. I fear Heath will win about 14 or fewer games this year and STILL not get canned.

What guys like you don't understand is JFB would only pay to get a guy with little or no HC'ing experience. He had the chance to get Bill Self from Illinois and would not pay him what the market demanded.

Therefore, don't b!tch and moan about Heath sucking unless you are willing to get out your checkbook and write at least another $700,000 check. Anyone with half a basketball brain knows it will take at least $1.5MM per year to get an experienced HC in Fayetteville.

BTW, if you don't like the basketball team, DON'T F'IN GO to the games.

Thanks, bud. I've quit going. I've also withdrawn my financial support until something changes at the end of the Razorback bench. I never gave Jim Lindsey money, so I'm sure my support is not missed. But I will tell you this....I'll start sending in the checks again when they are going to pay Stan Heath NOT to coach my Hogs. I was a full Stan Heath backer for 2.5 seasons. I felt it was my obligation as a HOG fan to stick with him with my money and my voice at games, but after I saw the way his team started strong and then began to quit in the face of adversity, I could no longer support something like that in good conscience.

There is plenty of money in NWA to buy out SH at $700,000 -- if the right people even cared anymore. I don't think the Jim Lindseys and John Tysons even care about Hog basketball anymore. They've sunk to irrelevance, even in their own back yard.

And YET again, you miss my point and misunderstand my words.

I stated it would take another MINIMUM $700k on top of Heath's current $800K salary to get someone who would satisfy you. Broyles will NOT pay that much. He doesn't even pay Nutt that much. Self wanted that kind of money and Self ended up scoffing at Broyles offer. Where is Self now? At a top 10 program paying him market value.
Frank would have coughed up the money to get Self. The U of Lawyers were telling him that he couldn't offer Self more than Nolan had been getting. They were scared of the lawsuit that was sure to follow.
Frank offered Self a thousand dollars less than Nolan's final salary, something like 1.037 million. Self immediately took that figure to Illiniois' AD and got himself a raise. Frank was advised not to go any higher.

Mike, from where I sit, which is admittedly considerably outside where you sit in relation to things going on up on the Hill, I never got the impression that the problem with landing anyone at Fayetteville was cash.  My experience with JFB is that he'll find a way to pay the best person he can find if it means getting us back to national prominence.  Plus, I guarantee you JFB has some skin in this as well.  He would love for us to succeed with someone else - ANYONE else - so that Nolan won't be the only coach ever to win a NCAA title here.  He'd gladly open the check book wide to get that guy who might make us forget Nolan.  I'd say it's not unlike Jerry Jones winning a Superbowl with Barry Switzer, just to spite Jimmy. 

Pockets in NWA are plenty deep for any buyout they want to make.  Mike, your explanation makes the most sense as to why we got Heath instead of a bigger fish.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2005, 10:39:19 am »

If everyone was counting on McBride to be the difference maker, than there are bigger problems.

This is merely an annoyance.  It stirs up the emotions I had last winter when Heath was not recruiting any guards, period, and it was obvious last October that we needed more guards ASAP.  For the 2006-07 season, we will have plenty of guards.  Plenty.  By then we may have other problems, but guard won't be it.

It was very strange that Heath went whiff-whiff-whiff on all the guards he tried to sign last spring.  He ended up signing yet another swingman, and one who won't help till 2006-07 (if then) to boot.  I don't care what Heath is saying now; as of a couple of weeks ago, they expected McBride to be on campus this fall.  Why does he feel compelled to concoct a cover story (lie) to make it seem as though he had this all planned out?  It is utter BULL FECES.  Completely disingenuous spin.  Why do that?  To whom is the spin directed?  The north side of RRS?  Is this a crack in the plan for improvement that JFB insisted upon?

As for this season, McBride being a nonfactor is unsurprising.  Think about this, though.  His redshirt (if he actually shows up at all) would pile onto a big senior class in 2007-08.  We did not need another senior for that year.  No stinking way this was part of the plan.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2005, 10:42:40 am »

Feb. 5, 2003, 81-70, at BWA.

UAGrad95

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2005, 10:56:24 am »

Drake beat ya - well without the date and score.  ;-) 

To your last post, that's exactly the kind of management of the program that has eroded my support.  I was 100% on his bandwagon until actually the LSU game down there.  Not because we lost the game, or because we got cheated, but how Heath reacted to it.  LSU should have started the overtime shooting technical free throws because of the tirade Heath SHOULD HAVE thrown.  That was the time when he should have shown his team he was a fighter, and they needed to bow up just like him.  Instead, he took the "high road" and said some very bland things questioning the officials after the game, which still got him a reprimand.  Hell, I would have been in his corner if he'd just yanked the team off the court, given the ref the bird and said, screw y'all - we won this game. We're not playing any overtime. 

That loss could have been the beginning of Heath's rallying of the troops -- his us against the world moment that NR was the master of.   Instead, he let it weigh on the team...kill its confidence in the closing minutes of close games.  Instead of thinking, "We're going to pull this out, no matter what it takes," They started thinking, "I wonder how we're going to blow it THIS time."

Fletch

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2005, 11:16:03 am »

Drake beat ya - well without the date and score. ;-)

To your last post, that's exactly the kind of management of the program that has eroded my support. I was 100% on his bandwagon until actually the LSU game down there. Not because we lost the game, or because we got cheated, but how Heath reacted to it. LSU should have started the overtime shooting technical free throws because of the tirade Heath SHOULD HAVE thrown. That was the time when he should have shown his team he was a fighter, and they needed to bow up just like him. Instead, he took the "high road" and said some very bland things questioning the officials after the game, which still got him a reprimand. Hell, I would have been in his corner if he'd just yanked the team off the court, given the ref the bird and said, screw y'all - we won this game. We're not playing any overtime.

Hopefully, you have never bashed SH because his team quit at the end of the year after making a comment like that. Sorry, but basing the end of your support for the team because they didn't quit and go home against LSU is a little lame.

BTW, why do you have us penciled in as a loss at home against Missouri when we beat them there last year? What makes you think Auburn will sweep us? Your tirade is your opinion and that is fine, but issuing it as a challenge for someone to show you where you are wrong opens you up to criticism from every hog fan that doesn't share your doom and gloom outlook.

Fletch

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2005, 11:17:35 am »

Also, I don't think we will be blown away by either Kentucky or Florida. We may even sweep one or two teams in the west.

UAGrad95

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2005, 11:25:14 am »

Drake beat ya - well without the date and score. ;-)

To your last post, that's exactly the kind of management of the program that has eroded my support. I was 100% on his bandwagon until actually the LSU game down there. Not because we lost the game, or because we got cheated, but how Heath reacted to it. LSU should have started the overtime shooting technical free throws because of the tirade Heath SHOULD HAVE thrown. That was the time when he should have shown his team he was a fighter, and they needed to bow up just like him. Instead, he took the "high road" and said some very bland things questioning the officials after the game, which still got him a reprimand. Hell, I would have been in his corner if he'd just yanked the team off the court, given the ref the bird and said, screw y'all - we won this game. We're not playing any overtime.

Hopefully, you have never bashed SH because his team quit at the end of the year after making a comment like that. Sorry, but basing the end of your support for the team because they didn't quit and go home against LSU is a little lame.

BTW, why do you have us penciled in as a loss at home against Missouri when we beat them there last year? What makes you think Auburn will sweep us? Your tirade is your opinion and that is fine, but issuing it as a challenge for someone to show you where you are wrong opens you up to criticism from every hog fan that doesn't share your doom and gloom outlook.

I didn't remove my support because he didn't take his ball and go home.  I'm merely stating that something drastic like that would have sent a better message to his team that we won't just sit idly by and let such things happen. 

I base a Misery loss on nothing more than a feeling they will improve more than we will in the offseason.  I'd love to be wrong, but I figure that to be a loss.  I think Auburn will sweep us because they improved immensely as last year went on.  Lebo is a very fine coach, and with another year to work with his existing players and bring in new ones, they will be better than Arkansas.  Auburn is a team that improved the longer they were around their young coach.  We did just the opposite.

My gloom and doom is based only on what I've seen with my two eyes.  I've heard all of the apologists say "help is on the way," and "our records show we're getting better."  I don't buy any of that.  The "help" that is always on the way, seems to have trouble getting to campus and contributing.  And the record is inflated by playing Sisters of the Poor.  This year the record will go backwards because our preseason tourney has REAL d-1 teams in it, and our conference that was abysmal last year has gotten better.

HogsRule

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2005, 11:41:53 am »

so you gave up after the LSU game. when we took Kentucky to within one point you had given up. when we won 3 straight at Ole Miss, GA and got our revenge against LSU, you had given up. you're a great fan. I'll see you when you are jumping back on the bandwagon in January.

UAGrad95

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2005, 12:20:29 pm »

Better yet....meet me at the press conference in April announcing our new coach. 

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2005, 01:23:30 pm »

It takes a gentleman and a scholar like Mr. Drake to bring the facts. It's been so long since we won over a quality opponent that I'd forgotten his win at BWA. Thanks for correcting me - again. You dig doing that, don't you?

I'd enjoy more beating you on the golf course, which I never do, not even on the course I grew up on. ;D
btw, Heath beat a ranked South Carolina team (rank is more like it) his second year, as well as a rank vanderbilt team.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2005, 01:26:55 pm »

u might be right about health not being able to run a div. 1 school,,lets at least wait untill the season starts,,is this the same people who was on nutt;s back before mustain signed,,and now don't have anything to do,,so they have to find someing to bitch about?

I'm not on Nutt's back yet. In my opinion he's earned the right to try to straighten things out this season. I can't say I'm happy with several things going on up there -- play calling, switching players' positions constantly, and letting some prize recruits like DeAngelo Williams and Cedric Houston slip away. However I have seen flashes of what can be with Nutt.

I can guarantee you this...if he has a team that competes well with USC in the early season, then as the season goes on turns into a bunch of soft quitters, then I'll give him the same grief I'm giving Heath.

Double standard....

Nutt had THREE JUCO LB's who were supposed to be much needed help. How many will play this fall? NONE.

Heath has one JUCO who COULD play 2/3rd's of the season and you berate him.

Again, DOUBLE STANDARD.

EP, there have been plenty of people on Nutt's ass year after year for this JUCO stupidity, especially last year with the LBs. Most of us thought Heath was beyond that, especially after going through the Lamptey fiasco.

RedRazor

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2005, 02:55:14 pm »

For me the Jury is still out on Heath. Why? I am not sure of that one myself. I do like Heath...one thing for sure, he brings a total class about himself that Nolan seemed to never have. I think Heath represents himself off the court very well for the UofA. I think that is what attracts the recruits. Yes, we didn't get Al Jefferson but we did get National Attention for that because if he didn't go Pro, he was coming to the UofA...so there is just a small piece of good that came out of that.

Heath has to have some more time to be fair. Look what Arkansas has given numb Nutts to this point. I think Heath needs to show major improvement the next two years or we start looking for new areas of help in the Coaching ranks. But he does deserve more time. If HDN gets to have a losing season and still gets a contract extension...boy, you haven't heard the term racial if you fire Heath for the same thing.

As for Ronnie Brewer...to me it is sad when we have to say he is our best player. He can't shoot..he has poor fundementals...but he can play defense, rebound, pass and he knows the game. So I guess that is not all that bad. But I do think that Townes will be a solid player before he leaves Arkansas.

Inigo Montoya

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2005, 03:00:14 pm »

I remember a player by the name of Alex Dillard that was a junior college transfer.  I believe he only had a few years eligibility and he turned out pretty good for us.

RedRazor

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2005, 03:01:39 pm »

You all complain about sports being way down at the U of A and this is something I've noticed for a while. Not that I am this huge U of A fan, never have been. As long as I can remember the Hogs have been my number two team in basketball and pretty close to #3 in football. Basketball I've always been a Tar Heel fan, can't get enough of the Heels. Football the Hokies have always been my favorite team, this will make me even less popular on this board but for some reason I like Texas almost as much as I do Arkansas in football. Right now the Hogs are still #2 if they have many more years like last and HDN remains at the helm I will lose all respect and love for them.

ya know, you maybe a good guy and I mean no harm for what I am about to say...but I hate guys like you. I really do. I can't stand people that have no sense of loyalty to where they are from. Now, by me saying that..I go by your handle that you go by on this board. But from my experience and what you have wrote...guys like you are always looking for the winning team and whoever is winning, that is their favorite team. Man that has to suck. I would never ever want to be known as a bandwagon jumper. Most College fans pick thier teams because of one of the two things...either they are from that State or they went to that School.....you have none of those traits. This is America man but I just don't understand your thoery.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2005, 03:02:11 pm »

Ronnie Brewer has good fundamentals other than his kludgy shot, which still worked for 40% from 3-pt range and 50% from 2-pt range last season.  Sure, a guy like Brewer should shoot better than 50% from 2-pt range, given the number of easy ones he gets.  His shooting % off the dribble must have been 20%.  And his 66% at the line is not quite good enough.  His defense needs improvement, but he makes things happen.  Brewer led us in scoring and had over 100 assists.  He led us in scoring and gave up the basketball for fully one-sixth of the team's non-Brewer baskets.

UAGrad95

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2005, 03:03:04 pm »

Careful - you are coming awful close to butchering their sacred cow, Ronnie Brewer.  Anything less than proclaiming him the next coming of Jordan will get you a sound tongue lashing around here.  Have you learned nothing from this thread?  Read above...pointing out that Ronnie has flaws or is not the shoo-in for SEC and National Player of the Year will get you branded an idiot awful quickly.

RedRazor

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2005, 03:04:52 pm »

Thats true Biggus...he is a good basketball player....but dang that jump shot just makes you cringe. It would seem by now that someone would help him fix that but someone posted one time that he can't. Something about his elbow...somehow I don't buy that.

toshortrock

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2005, 03:05:32 pm »

here we go again

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2005, 03:10:58 pm »

Thats true Biggus...he is a good basketball player....but dang that jump shot just makes you cringe. It would seem by now that someone would help him fix that but someone posted one time that he can't. Something about his elbow...somehow I don't buy that.

You mean the elbow he broke as a child?  You better buy it.

Inigo Montoya

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2005, 03:13:32 pm »

You mean the elbow he broke as a child? You better buy it.

Doesn't matter if the kid has one leg.  If he continues to put up numbers like he has give him the ball as much as he wants it.

bigred7987

« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2005, 03:23:36 pm »

I'll see you when you are jumping back on the bandwagon in January.
I have a feeling we will be seeing him too praising Heath and how he knew it all along.  Anytime Arkansas is on national TV they talk about how Brewer broke his elbow as a child and couldnt bend it straight after that.  One of my friends broke her elbow and she can't straighten it out or make a 90 degree angle with it either...buy it

hoghope

« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2005, 03:24:01 pm »

Here we go again, everybody stopped bashing houston for a second and now it is on to heath.  there are a bunch of idiots on here.  are you guys arkansas fans or do you just have to have something to gripe about.  i believe we will have solid years in basketball and football.
go hogs. :razorback:

UAGrad95

« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2005, 03:32:11 pm »

Here we go again, everybody stopped bashing houston for a second and now it is on to heath. there are a bunch of idiots on here. are you guys arkansas fans or do you just have to have something to gripe about. i believe we will have solid years in basketball and football.

Why is it that those of us who have opinions different than yours must necessarily be "idiots"?  I've endured 3 years of terrible basketball under Heath, and nobody here has given me any real reasons to believe this year will be any different.  All I get is name calling.

I am a Hog fan because I care that our basketball program has gone from THE elite program of the 90's to one of irrelevance in just 10 years.  That pains me.  The only remedy to that situation is to cut loose this coaching staff and bring in someone capable. 

As for football, I have cautious optimism.  Some things have to fall into place (A QB comes forward) and some gambles have to pay off (moving players to new positions), but if they do, this season could be fun.  HDN starting out with 7 winning seasons earned him the pass on last year's embarrassment.  And no, I'm not happy with LV and MCB and Indy Bowls in the other "winning" years.  He needs to put up or shut up this year as well.

bigred7987

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2005, 03:36:45 pm »

I've endured 3 years of terrible basketball under Heath, and nobody here has given me any real reasons to believe this year will be any different.  All I get is name calling.
congrats...join the rest of the hog fans...we ALL have endured bad bball for last 3 years.  Reasons....most experience back in SEC....numerous coaches picking us as most talented.  We will see how the coaching turns out but he can win with this group

RedRazor

« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2005, 03:37:37 pm »

Biggus, so you are saying that he cannot have his arm in the fumdemental triangle pattern that is taught?? That is what I am saying is weird. Because it would seem like his arm would be crooked while straight then. Hey, I am not knocking the kid...I hate to hear of his accident. I was just merely wondering that if he developed a bad habit of shooting like that and never changed it because of the accident...or is it because it is humanly impossible for him to change his form because of that accident...nevertheless, it doesn't matter I guess.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2005, 03:41:40 pm »

He can't pull his elbow in.

UAGrad95

« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2005, 03:56:02 pm »

It saddens me to think of the number of Arkansas "fans" who will be ecstatic when we do poorly and they are sitting at the press conference announcing the hiring of the new coach. They would rather lose this year and be right than win the national championship and be wrong. Guess what guys, Razorback athletics is bigger than you and me. Someone besides us is calling the shots, including who coaches and does not. I for one am glad. I was one who wanted to fire Nolan after his third year of crummy basketball. Aren't we glad we didn't? Sometimes you guys need to admit that ALL college head coaches are NOT PERFECT and they make mistakes. Bobby Bowden, imperfect. Steve Spurrier, imperfect. Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Roy Williams - guess what, the list goes on.

There are people like you on every board for every team. Thank God college athletics does not revolve around the naysayers. In fact, I am thankful we have a stern leader like JFB who really doesn't give a s#@t what is posted. You restate the obvious problems we've encountered and fail to realize that our coaches learn just like you and I do.

I have an 8 year old son, a 3 year old daughter, a wife and manage 16 women. You don't think I make mistakes on a daily basis? I bet you do too.

There are repurcussions from all of our decisions - good and bad. I feel like we have the management staff in place to take care of things when they fail - see the push to hire Herrion and Herring immediately after seasons ended last year.

I can tell you this - regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the decisions from above and below - I will always be a hog fan and will always WANT the hogs to win. Never will you find me looking forward to a press conference to announce a new coach before the season even begins. That, my friends, is failure to trust your school and failure to be a good fan. Fans support and call the hogs whether we win or lose. Fans want to win every year with whoever the coach is at the time. Fans evaluate the good and bad but never, never, never wish for failure so they can be right about their speculations.

Not that they read it, but I sure hope HDN and SH realize that there are a vast majority of people like me compared to the people calling for their heads year after year.

God Bless my great institution!

Bacon out...

I'll give you a dollar if you find one single place where I said I "hope" or "want" this team to fail.  I do not.  I'll be the first back on this board on NCAA pairing Sunday saying I was wrong if the Hogs get in the NCAAT, and I'll be happy to do it.  What I've said all along, and will continue to say until Stan and his players prove me wrong, is that I EXPECT another lousy season.  I do not buy that this team is loaded with talent.  We return guys who couldn't get above .500 in a horrible SEC, and we are pinning too much hope on freshmen we haven't seen play against D-1 competition.  And we're still missing a shooting guard.  And, what I've seen of Stan Heath's game management skills, talent alone will not make us a tournament team.  We need a coach who can get this talent pulling in the same direction - a skill he has not yet demonstrated.

I am not a "naysayer" for the sake of being negative.  Just the opposite.  It bothers me to see our program in the situation it's in.  I'd see my disposition on most things Razorback as being closer to Rick Schaeffer than to Hog In Memphis.  It's just that our closing stretch last year shattered my faith in Stan Heath's ability to lead this team to respectability.  Maybe mitigating circumstances contributed to that collapse, and they've been addressed.  None of us knows.  Right now, from the head coach down to the 12th man on the bench, they're saying what they're supposed to say.  We'll just have to wait for their performance to speak for itself.

You see, for the past 3 seasons, I've been in BWA taking the stance that I need to be there for my team - pulling them along.  I figured if I did that, they'd be inspired and compete like champions.  Well, they quit on us last year.  So...now we have to do it the other way around.  It's time for them to give me something to cheer about first. Win me back. 

HogsRule

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2005, 04:17:34 pm »

I am a Hog fan because I care that our basketball program has gone from THE elite program of the 90's to one of irrelevance in just 10 years. That pains me. The only remedy to that situation is to cut loose this coaching staff and bring in someone capable.
10 years? You can't blame Heath for the time he wasn't here. He is rebuilding a program literally from the ground up. To me the first 2 years were freebies given the state of things. Most of the year last year they won the games I expected and lost the games they weren't supposed to win. Yes, the collapse at the end was something I've never seen a Hog team do before, but that's strike 1 not 3. We have to give him time to come into his own.

UAGrad95

« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2005, 04:27:44 pm »

Thanks for the response, Bacon.  You're the first to actually engage in a conversation and try to change my mind in a reasonable way. 

Here's how it'll likely play out.  I'm sure you're familiar with the way a dysfunctional relationship works....the couple gets in a huge fight, they break up, they cool off, they start talking again, and they're back together and everything's cool for a while.  Then, someone does something stupid, and they're broken up again.  This time he says he's learned his lesson -- he won't fall for that crazy broad again.  Then they start talking again, and soon they're dating again until the next falling out.  And the cycle keeps repeating itself.

That's probably not too far from the way I am with Heath's basketball team.  I'm disgusted with them right now -- still seething over that tennesuck game in the SECT and their closing stretch (stench) last year.  But, in early October, KATV will do a show with Paul Eells and preview the team.  I'll watch out of morbid curiosity.  Then will come the Hawaii games.  I'll tune in - again out of morbid curiosity.  I'll either be pleasantly surprised by their showing and decide to give them one more chance (long shot), or I'll be so pissed at our lack of compeitiveness that I'll swear never to watch them again.  Then one night when nothing is on tv, and ARSN has a non-con game against some Sisters of the Poor, I'll watch for a while and see some nice things.  They'll start to reel me in again.  Maybe we even sneak up on a tejas tech, and things don't look so bleak going into league play.  I'll start to care again.  Then we'll lose by 27 to a horrible Mississippi State team, and it's "here we go again." 

Fact is...I'm a Hog fan and I'll never stop caring, no matter how mad I get.  I'll never pull for them to lose.  Bottom line is I'm fed up with losing, and whatever means it takes to stop the losing, I'm all for.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2005, 04:52:28 pm »

Here we go again, everybody stopped bashing houston for a second and now it is on to heath. there are a bunch of idiots on here. are you guys arkansas fans or do you just have to have something to gripe about. i believe we will have solid years in basketball and football.

I haven't seen one negative word issued about John McDonnell, Dave Van Horn or Mike Ketcham since the board started. Not one bad word. Sounds like there are Razorback fans on here.

bigred7987

« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2005, 04:55:27 pm »

anyone who bashes McDonnell ought to shoot themselves just because they are that idiotic and dont deserve to live

Inigo Montoya

« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2005, 04:57:44 pm »

There could be more cheerleaders at track and cross country events.  I wonder if McDonnell could do something about that.

;D

Inigo Montoya

« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2005, 05:00:51 pm »

Unless his personal life goes to crap? John McDonnell should be Praised and put on the Highest place of Honnor that the U of A has!!!!! I also think that DVH will be there as well someday, you could put Norm D., but All of them should be under John McDonnell!!!

amen

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2005, 05:10:14 pm »

There could be more cheerleaders at track and cross country events. I wonder if McDonnell could do something about that.

;D

I think we should start tailgating before track events.

three

• Senior
  • Stay Tuned for the NEXT SHOT
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2005, 05:19:11 pm »

All this simply proves Stan does not know how to run a team.  He can recruit with the best of them.  Look at the kids he recruited while at Bowling Green and Michigan State.  6 guys in the NBA, with three being pretty good players.  Here's the problem, he did not teach or develop those kids, Tom Izzo did.  He got beat consistently in the second half.  Why?  Because he CANNOT ADJUST.  He lacks the ability to draw up successful plays in the huddle, nor can he look at a game as it happens and break things down in the locker room at halftime. 

Over the last two years, how many games were lost in the second half.  You may think, "if we made one of those last second shots this year, we would have won and everyone would be singing Stan's praises." Go back and look at the tapes.  Those games were lost over a two or three minute span in which Stan's team was not able to stop the opposition on one end, while being completely shut down themselves on the other.  That is coaching, plain and simple. 

He cannot motivate, and he cannot adjust, and those are the two things a HC must do.  The recruiting, breaking down film, drawing up offensive sets in practice, that's what good assistants do.  The HC is supposed to see things no one else does, and at the half, tell his team how to ADJUST.  He tells everyone he needs an outside shooter, he gets one and then redshirts him.  He wont consider playing him in the second half of the season.  Remember the last player who was ineligible his first semester on campus, and then played in the spring?  It was Joe Johnson, and he saved the season during conference play.  Besides, if he has all these "studs" interested for the classes of 06 and 07, why tie up another scholarship for one more year than he needs to?  If all of these blue chippers want to come here, why keep some JuCo schlub, who may or may not be any good, for another year when you could go get a "stud"??? 

A great coach finds ways to beat Alabama, LSU, Kentucky, Mississippi State in the last minutes.  And doesn't get blown out every single time he goes on the road.  Two years, one SEC road win, are you kidding me?  Our coach found ways to lose those games.  And if all that is not enough, does anyone out there really believe this team was so bad they could go 5, 10, 15 minutes without MAKING ONE LOUSY FIELD GOAL???  Someone explain to me how it's not the coach's fault when he can't draw up a play to SCORE SOME *expletive* POINTS over a 15 minute span!!!  Please, I really want to know how that's the players fault, for not knowing how to attack a basic 2-3 zone, the same zone you learned how to play against when you were 8 YEARS OLD!

Fletch

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2005, 05:29:50 pm »

All this simply proves Stan does not know how to run a team. He can recruit with the best of them. Look at the kids he recruited while at Bowling Green and Michigan State. 6 guys in the NBA, with three being pretty good players. Here's the problem, he did not teach or develop those kids, Tom Izzo did. He got beat consistently in the second half. Why? Because he CANNOT ADJUST. He lacks the ability to draw up successful plays in the huddle, nor can he look at a game as it happens and break things down in the locker room at halftime.

Over the last two years, how many games were lost in the second half. You may think, "if we made one of those last second shots this year, we would have won and everyone would be singing Stan's praises." Go back and look at the tapes. Those games were lost over a two or three minute span in which Stan's team was not able to stop the opposition on one end, while being completely shut down themselves on the other. That is coaching, plain and simple.

He cannot motivate, and he cannot adjust, and those are the two things a HC must do. The recruiting, breaking down film, drawing up offensive sets in practice, that's what good assistants do. The HC is supposed to see things no one else does, and at the half, tell his team how to ADJUST. He tells everyone he needs an outside shooter, he gets one and then redshirts him. He wont consider playing him in the second half of the season. Remember the last player who was ineligible his first semester on campus, and then played in the spring? It was Joe Johnson, and he saved the season during conference play. Besides, if he has all these "studs" interested for the classes of 06 and 07, why tie up another scholarship for one more year than he needs to? If all of these blue chippers want to come here, why keep some JuCo schlub, who may or may not be any good, for another year when you could go get a "stud"???

A great coach finds ways to beat Alabama, LSU, Kentucky, Mississippi State in the last minutes. And doesn't get blown out every single time he goes on the road. Two years, one SEC road win, are you kidding me? Our coach found ways to lose those games. And if all that is not enough, does anyone out there really believe this team was so bad they could go 5, 10, 15 minutes without MAKING ONE LOUSY FIELD GOAL??? Someone explain to me how it's not the coach's fault when he can't draw up a play to SCORE SOME *expletive* POINTS over a 15 minute span!!! Please, I really want to know how that's the players fault, for not knowing how to attack a basic 2-3 zone, the same zone you learned how to play against when you were 8 YEARS OLD!
Many teams shoot their way out of a zone, we didn't have that luxury. I think there are two things that make a great team, players and coaching. You can't be really good without either one. Therefore, I think players can be every bit as much responsible for a teams performance. The coach can draw up the greatest plays in the world, but if your players can't hit the shot then it doesn't matter.

Inigo Montoya

« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2005, 08:35:54 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the major reason we lost games last year was our PLAYERS' subpar performance.  Heath didn't lose those games.  I don't know how many games I watched last year when our guys couldn't hit open jump shots and just were flat out hustled by the other team.  I think there was a lot of hanging heads, losing attitudes, and laziness last year.  Heath can only do so much when your players can only play 3 quarters of good basketball.  Maybe this year, and I hope, our guys will play with more experience and confidence and be more mentally and physically fit to handle SEC basketball.

bknight33

« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2005, 10:01:05 am »

Inigo, at what point, in your opinion, does the coach become responsible for the players actions? If you really believe that, then why should we ever hire/fire coaches?

Inigo Montoya

« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2005, 10:12:29 am »

Do I really need to answer this?  Did you watch any of our basketball games last year?  When our players were throwing up bricks during 5-8 minute scoring droughts were you yelling at Stan for our bad shooting?  Every game we lost sports analysts were saying the same thing.  Inconsistent scoring and an offense that plays in spurts.  Is that Heath's fault?  NO. If it's his recruits then I guess so but his coaching is adequate considering the talent and experience wasn't there last year.  We'll see this year.
People blaming Heath entirely for our basketball programs woes fall into the same category as all the Nutt- haters out there.  You all are fair weather Hog fans.  Curse them when they are down and the first ones on the band wagon when they are doing good. 

:puke:

HogsRule

« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2005, 10:13:40 am »

Marty's boy, by that same logic we shouldn't have to recruit players. just pick 5 guys walking around campus and if the coach is good, we should win the NC

Inigo Montoya

« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2005, 10:17:31 am »

Inigo, at what point, in your opinion, does the coach become responsible for the players actions? If you really believe that, then why should we ever hire/fire coaches?

If it happens, Heath will be fired in 2-3 more years if the program hasn't changed.  Once a majority of his recruits are juniors and seniors and the team still stinks (which it will not cause this team has talent unlike a majority of Nolan's teams) then I say fire him.  You have to give coaches time or you just prolong the time until the program is good again by getting a new coach every 3 years.

HogsRule

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2005, 10:22:16 am »

You have to give coaches time or you just prolong the time until the program is good again by getting a new coach every 3 years.
Right on IM.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas