• 396,175 Topics
• 22,374 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst call you can remember  (Read 6448 times)

hogfan58

• Varsity
  • i'm not witty enough to come up with anything
Re: Worst call you can remember
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2007, 01:17:10 pm »

the answer to this question, i think, depends on your generation. My parents and grandparents (when they were alive) would say it was ole miss-ark 1960. my father was at the game and said that the ole miss players KNEW the fg was no good. they walked off the field, heads down, knowing it was wide. they were in the locker room and came back out to look at the scoreboard, which showed them winning. Anytime my parents/grandparents would hear the name "Tommy Bell" they would start cussing.

For me, it was smu-ark 1982, pass interference call. I have this game on VHS and it has to be the absolute WORST call I have ever seen in any game. It was plain as day for all to see. Our DB was between the receiver and the ball on a fly route along the sideline. The ball was over the head of our DB, he slows down, the receiver runs up his back and here comes the flag. To this day I still can't believe the call was against us. The ball was uncatchable for one thing. The other is while both players can go for a ball, you can't go "through" the other player to make the catch. How that ref was allowed to continue as one is beyond me.

SMU got so many breaks that year it was crazy. Many thought that players were not the only people SMU boosters were paying off that year.

hogfan7583

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »

What about the charging call on brandon dean when he hit the floater at the buzzer to beat (or so we thought) then highly ranked illinois in a nationall televised ESPN 2 game...believe it was in chicago...dont remember exact year but the game started at like 11 am...
actually i think that game was at alltel

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HogasaurusRex

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2007, 01:40:47 pm »

Prewitt to Nutt in '07.
           0r
Nutt to Bragg in '07

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2007, 01:53:34 pm »

2 weeks ago in my boys baseball game.  My 3rd baseman tagged the kid on the leg, umpire says no tag, then the runner runs into leftfield to avoid a retag and the ump said he was not out of the baseline. 

HEy, been too many against the hogs to pick just one or 2 or a dozen.

ChsTigerHog

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2007, 02:08:34 pm »

the answer to this question, i think, depends on your generation. My parents and grandparents (when they were alive) would say it was ole miss-ark 1960. my father was at the game and said that the ole miss players KNEW the fg was no good. they walked off the field, heads down, knowing it was wide. they were in the locker room and came back out to look at the scoreboard, which showed them winning. Anytime my parents/grandparents would hear the name "Tommy Bell" they would start cussing.

For me, it was smu-ark 1982, pass interference call. I have this game on VHS and it has to be the absolute WORST call I have ever seen in any game. It was plain as day for all to see. Our DB was between the receiver and the ball on a fly route along the sideline. The ball was over the head of our DB, he slows down, the receiver runs up his back and here comes the flag. To this day I still can't believe the call was against us. The ball was uncatchable for one thing. The other is while both players can go for a ball, you can't go "through" the other player to make the catch. How that ref was allowed to continue as one is beyond me.

SMU got so many breaks that year it was crazy. Many thought that players were not the only people SMU boosters were paying off that year.
You are correct on both accounts.

Ole Miss
I never hear it mentioned but the play preceding that field goal something very strange occurred. Ole Miss lined up and kicked the field goal and it was good—no doubt about it—however, an official claimed someone had asked for a timeout just before the ball was snapped and he had granted it. The field goal was disallowed and Ole Miss was forced to re-kick. I had a bad angle from my location and could not honestly say if the kick was good or not. An overwhelming majority of the people I have talked with that claim to have had a good look swears the kick was no good.

SMU
Yes, that very thing did happen. It was a very questionable call that ended up giving SMU an easy TD and allowing them get a tie and knock us out of the Cotton Bowl.

We had the lead and SMU had the ball late in the game. I’m not absolutely sure but I do believe it was on a 4th down and long. The SMU QB threw long down the left sideline. The ball was badly overthrown and our DB (Nathan Jones) was between the receiver and the ball. The DB realizing the pass was overthrown slowed down and dropped his arms to his side. The receiver ran up his back and the official threw a flag. When it happened I thought he was calling interference on the receiver and when he called it on the Jones I couldn’t believe it. In those days the ball was placed at the spot of the foul and there was no such thing as an uncatchable ball.

That official later stated if the DB had not dropped his arms to his side and slowed down he would not have called it. There was no way that receiver would have caught that ball so it should have been a no-call.

There was a newspaper—I think it was the Shreveport paper—ran a carton the next week showing a official running down the field carrying a Mustang in his arms with a pony express bag around his neck.

A call that has always bothered me was a call in the Texas game of 69

The Razorbacks were on about the 30 or 35 yard line of Texas. Dicus was in the slot on the left side of the formation and John Rees was the split out to the right. Montgomery hit Dicus in stride and he scored untouched. A flag was thrown on the opposite side of the field near the line of scrimmage. The official claimed that Rees had thrown a block before the pass was caught and overruled the TD. We were up 14-7 at the time and that would have made it 21-7 if it had been allowed to stand. Had that play stood we win going away.

A disappointed Razorback team played very uninspired football and lost to Ole Miss in the Sugar bowl. One wonders what may have happened if we had won the Texas game and Montgomery and crew had been turned loose against a very slow Notre Dame team in the Cotton Bowl.

Ish O

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2007, 02:23:04 pm »

What about the charging call on brandon dean when he hit the floater at the buzzer to beat (or so we thought) then highly ranked illinois in a nationall televised ESPN 2 game...believe it was in chicago...dont remember exact year but the game started at like 11 am...

I was at that game at the United Center and sitting right near the basket. No freaking way that was a charge. I honestly believe the ref was shocked about how high Dean had just jumped.

hogfan47

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2007, 02:24:17 pm »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

yea that call still chaps my arse

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2007, 02:53:30 pm »

In the old SWC days we had about 20 touchdowns called back against
Texas for phantom fouls that never appeared on the film.

Ah, biggie, what a great lead-in to my nomination.  This is one that 99% of our fans don't know about.

It took place in the infamous "Big Shootout" with Texas in 1969.

Everybody remembers that right after the game started, Texas fumbled and the Hogs recovered on Texas’ 20 yard line and they moved in for an early TD and a 7-0 lead.  What most do NOT remember is that later in the first quarter, Arkansas got their hands on the ball and they drove about 90 yards to a second TD that would have given them a 14-0 lead and ALL the momentum.  Even if you were to watch the abbreviated version that shows up on ESPN classic every now and then, they omit this part.  And, even if they didn’t, the reason that the second touchdown was called back would not be clear.  I never knew the entire story behind it until the 2000 Cotton Bowl.  When I relate that story, I expect many will be as PO’d as I was when I heard it.

Arkansas took over at its 10 or 11 yard line following an interception of a deep ball thrown by James Street.  From there, Bill Montgomery drove the Hogs down the field with a brilliant combination of short passes and clutch scrambling.  Arkansas was sitting about the Texas 22 or 23 yard line, second down and long (8, 9 yards) when Montgomery broke the huddle and took his teammates to the line of scrimmage; the call was an off-tackle run.  In reading the defense, Montgomery recognized that Chuck Dicus had one on one coverage in the slot (to the left).  This was predicated off the formation Arkansas lined up in and Texas’ read of their tendencies off that formation, and the U of A offensive coaches had anticipated that the Horns would react in this way and prepared Montgomery to look for it.  So, when Montgomery saw the defensive scheme, he audibled to a crossing pattern to Dicus.  As I heard him say later, his “heart skipped a beat, because I knew we had an excellent chance to score on that play”.

And so, Montgomery took the snap, dropped back, waited for Dicus to make his cut, then hit him in stride with a perfect pass that Chuck took into the end zone for a second touchdown that set Razorback fans into a delirious state.  Watching the game live on TV, I was going crazy as well.  After crossing the goal, Dicus turned around and matter-of-factly handed the ball to the referee, then accepted slaps on the helmet from him teammates as they all jogged of the field toward the sidelines, with the PAT team crossing them going the other direction (toward the goal for the kick).  The camera panned the stands for about 10 seconds, showing young couples hugging, cheerleaders spinning around, older fans jumping up and down with their hands in the air, etc.  Then they showed a “slow motion, isolated” view of Dicus’ pattern (this was very HIGH TECH at that time), reception and touchdown that took another 10 to 15 seconds, while the announcers (Chris Schenkle and Bud Wilkenson) commented on what a great route it was, how accurate the throw was, etc.   

So by the time they went back down to the field, it was a good 40 to 50 seconds after the TD catch, and I was expecting to see the PAT kick sailing through the uprights.  Instead – without any comment at all from the announcers – the image on the screen was of the referee skipping (with the ball in his hand) away from the UT goal line, counting off what was apparently a major penalty against Arkansas.  Finally, the announcers – obviously caught off guard and not knowing what was going on – announced “but it’s coming back because of a penalty against Arkansas!” with NO explanation beyond that.  I assumed it must have been holding (no signal was shown, nor given verbally) and the action went on, so there was no time to think much more about it.  On the next play, Montgomery was sacked almost to midfield, and Broyles punted on 3rd down (as many coaches would have done in that era, to maintain field position), so we didn’t even get 3 points out of it.

Years later, I found out that the penalty was not for holding, but for offensive pass interference.  It turns out that when Montgomery changed the play, the crowd noise was so high that WR John Rees (who was outside of Dicus to the left) did not hear the audible.  He, therefore, carried out his assignment for the running play that was called, which amounted to taking 3 or 4 steps downfield and half-heartedly “chicken fighting” with the DB who lined up with him.  Now, keep in mind, Rees was near the East sideline basically shadowboxing with the DB, while Dicus made the catch a good 30 yards away headed in the other direction.  For years afterward, I remembered that sequence, but only as one of many “key” plays in a game that had many -  the interception on third down from their 5 yard line in the early 4th quarter with a 6 point lead; Street’s scramble for a TD and his 4th and 3 pass to Peschel, etc.   But it took on a whole new meaning in the days prior to our meeting with Texas in the 2000 Cotton Bowl.

There was a LOT of pre-game hype leading up to that game, with the local Dallas papers playing up the old SWC rivalry, memories of prior Shootouts, etc.  By far, most stories focused on the 1969 game.  In one of them, the reporter was interviewing participants of the game and getting their memories of it.  One of the players quoted was Texas DB Tom Campbell.  He was the one who was covering Rees on that play.  As he told the story, the play was run, the TD scored, and as players from both sides were going to the sideline so the special teams could come on for the PAT, he walked over to the nearest ref – who had stood a few feet from he and Rees while the play was unfolding – and said “hey ref, he blocked me.  That’s pass interference.”  According to Campbell, the ref looked at him, looked back at Rees, and said “you’re right, son” and THREW A FLAG!  This was 15 – 20 seconds AFTER the TD was scored, and explains why I was so confused with what I saw when I was watching the game.  I’m certain no one in the stands knew what was going on, and neither did anyone watching on TV.

I’m not sure if the rules of the day would have technically agreed that it was interference, given how far from the play it occurred (i.e., the “non-catchable”/”no advantage gained” issue) and since there was no gross violation, such as grabbing the db and throwing him to the ground, etc.  But, even if it was (don’t get me started about the clip on Street’s run that wasn’t called!), it’s totally unethical for a ref to throw a flag that long after a play is over, and then, only because a player talked him into it!  To add salt to the wound, Campbell seemed to think it was pretty comical, based on the quotes used in the article I read.

I’d have to agree that most likely, the Tennessee fumble (Liberty Bowl, 1971) and the SMU interference call were probably “worse” calls from the standpoint of obvious mistakes.  But, for what was on the line, the call I’ve described here is hard to top.

Hogchick

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2007, 02:54:21 pm »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

The time that I learned that life isn't fair.
I was 11 yo and was crushed because we lost that game.

I remember the bumper stickers, "Pass interference my ass"

I was 9 and it was the first time I  cried over a football game

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2007, 03:01:02 pm »

A call that has always bothered me was a call in the Texas game of 69.

The Razorbacks were on about the 30 or 35 yard line of Texas. Dicus was in the slot on the left side of the formation and John Rees was the split out to the right. Montgomery hit Dicus in stride and he scored untouched. A flag was thrown on the opposite side of the field near the line of scrimmage. The official claimed that Rees had thrown a block before the pass was caught and overruled the TD. We were up 14-7 at the time and that would have made it 21-7 if it had been allowed to stand. Had that play stood we win going away.

Bagger - I'm amazed that while I was typing my reponse (got called away for a while in the middle of doing so) that someone else actually posted about the same incident.  I NEVER see anyone mention that one.  See my post for a few clarifications on some minor points concerning the timing, place on the field, formation, etc.  But, in essence, you remember the same play I do.  Get ready to be really pissed when you read the additional information I posted about this play.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 11:52:33 pm by WizardofhOgZ »

Lanlord

« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2007, 03:13:41 pm »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

That was my first aneurysm!

Duke of Buckingham

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2007, 03:31:58 pm »

The call against John Rees always seemed "unfortunate" to me, but not nearly as "bad" as others, including the clip on Boschetti later in the 69 game. Everybody admits Rees WAS chicken fighting, even if it was irrelevant to the play.

So do we know the name of the clipless-wonder ref who is staring right at the clip on the tape?

Richard_white

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • greatness!
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2007, 03:34:29 pm »

I believe it was 1991. The first year in the SEC.  Few seconds left in the game and Day drove to the basket and scored but was waived off for charging.  I believe it was Rober Horry that took the charge.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2007, 03:36:53 pm »

I believe it was 1991. The first year in the SEC.  Few seconds left in the game and Day drove to the basket and scored but was waived off for charging.  I believe it was Rober Horry that took the charge.

YEp, at Bama.  Day had made that drive the baseline, half pivot turn around move all game long, and the Bama players had been flopping with no calls.  Then, as most SEC officials are inclined to do ( directly influence the outcome of the game ) he calls the charge AFTER the shot went in.  I truly believe if it did not drop, no whistle would have blown.

jkcrunch

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2007, 03:59:27 pm »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

That was my first aneurysm!

That ref also lost his job based on that call for the SWC to fire a bad official it had to be a real bad call

bearcathog

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2007, 04:18:34 pm »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

ditto.  I was 13 and had gone to that game with my sister and her 3 friends in a VW bug.  Long ride home.

I was 17, I seen to remember 3 bad pass interference calls in that game.  The last wast the worst describes as offensive play ran over the defender  who was going for the pick  and the falg was on the defender. 

The call (all three of them)was so bad, that the NCAA changed pass interference from a spot foul to a fifteen yards penalty.  If I remember right, I could be wrong, I think SMU gained something like 90 yards on the 3 calls.

BushHawg

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2007, 04:24:13 pm »

Bua did hit Leak in the head but Leak ran to the sideline and instead of stepping out lingered there.  Then at the last minute he dumped the ball and ducked down to take the hit.  Bua was already in the air, you can't ask a guy to change direction in the air.  When Bua left his feet he would have hit Leak around the midsection if he hadn't crouched down.  He hit him in the head but it shouldn't have been a penalty.

I was one of those who stayed and knew if we'd gotten the ball back Jones and the Hogs would have scored.  Florida hadn't stopped us in several possessions and wouldn't have again.  That one hurt.

LJHOG

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2007, 04:24:38 pm »

that 4 hun i put down on the colts to take the jets

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2007, 04:29:53 pm »

Bua did hit Leak in the head but Leak ran to the sideline and instead of stepping out lingered there.  Then at the last minute he dumped the ball and ducked down to take the hit.  Bua was already in the air, you can't ask a guy to change direction in the air.  When Bua left his feet he would have hit Leak around the midsection if he hadn't crouched down.  He hit him in the head but it shouldn't have been a penalty.

I was one of those who stayed and knew if we'd gotten the ball back Jones and the Hogs would have scored.  Florida hadn't stopped us in several possessions and wouldn't have again.  That one hurt.

Not buying this one.  Bua led with his helmet.  Bua launched himself like amissile.  If he form tackles the guy he still hits him in the chest, the Butu Pick would have counted, and Mj would have had one more shot at the reeling Fla D.

TOM "tbw1"

• Pragmatic Curmudgeon
  • Global Moderator
  • All-American Hogvillian
  • War Chicken
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2007, 06:38:10 pm »

Not buying this one.  Bua led with his helmet.  Bua launched himself like amissile.  If he form tackles the guy he still hits him in the chest, the Butu Pick would have counted, and Mj would have had one more shot at the reeling Fla D.

There goes Sanity again with those pesky facts that ruin a good story.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 06:41:21 pm by tbw1 »

bigyellowdog

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2007, 06:39:42 pm »

Pass Interference against SMU in 1982.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2007, 06:45:57 pm »

Inadvertent whistle at South Carolina in 2004. 

For the few who don't remember this....

On SC's first possession, we returned an INT for a TD.  On the ensuing kickoff, SC fumbled the catch and we recovered at about the 25 yard line I believe.  The guy had signaled for a fair catch (it was a sky kick/short kick/pooch kick or whatever you call it) but he dropped the ball without securing possession.  The ref blew the whistle as soon as the ball made contact with the SC player.  After a long discussion, the refs awarded SC the ball b/c they had mistakenly blown the whistle.  Instead of having the ball deep in SC territory with a 7-0 lead, SC had the ball and drove for a TD to tie the game.  SC won by 3, 35-32.  This was the difference in a losing (5-6) and winning season for the Hogs in 04.  It was still a tough year, but 6-5 and the Indy Bowl would have been better than 5-6 and sitting at home. 
The Tony Bua Roughing the QB call versus Florida.
THat cancelled out our comeback at home, right? 
Brutal.

That would be the one...I had some friends who stayed the entire game and said that the call was "sickening"...Still urks me to this day :(

yeah i was there for that whole game, talk about irrate i had to be physically restrained.
Brutal.

That would be the one...I had some friends who stayed the entire game and said that the call was "sickening"...Still urks me to this day :(

yeah i was there for that whole game, talk about irrate i had to be physically restrained.
Have you seen the replays of that call?

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2007, 06:50:14 pm »

Brutal.

Butu intercepted the ball right in front of where we were sitting.  I've never gone from such joy and excitement to such pain in a matter of seconds.

Mitch C

• You know who that was Danny?
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2007, 06:55:24 pm »

Mitch C

• You know who that was Danny?
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2007, 06:57:04 pm »

Frank Broyles.  "I like to introduce Houston Nutt as our new Razorback Football Head Coach."

Now that is a bad call.

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2007, 07:07:38 pm »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

I had a bumper sticker on my next three cars that said "Interference my a$$"

PIGINAPOKE

• I was baptized in dirty water : I drink alone.
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2007, 09:20:05 pm »

Kenny Hatfield 3rd and 18 against Texas and he ran the draw play and got stuffed at the line..
We have seen THAT play more than once here.

gkimrey

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2007, 10:47:57 pm »

1969 Shootout--no call on the clip when James Street made his infamous run. Arkansas was the better team that day.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2007, 11:02:44 pm »

1969 Shootout--no call on the clip when James Street made his infamous run. Arkansas was the better team that day.
This call could have changed our whole history.

870hogg

• Senior
  • KVD It's all about the Attitude
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2007, 11:52:08 pm »

how about the BB game against LSU when Mike Jones hit that 3 but they called it a 2...it was at the end of the game....

mrcrowley

« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2007, 02:59:56 am »

indiana st. vs arkansas

hawgtahm

« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2007, 04:43:10 am »

What about Clints stumble in the Tennessee game............He put the ball on the ground still in hand before it popped out............He should've been down where the ball touched...............NOT A FUMBLE

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, here, but it was a fumble. The player is down when any part of the body, other than the hand or foot, touch the ground. The ball does not figure into the equation, other than it is considered a part of the hand.

The SMU call gets my vote.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 01:25:10 am by hawgtahm »

Pork Twain

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2007, 06:08:49 am »

How about JFB giving HDN a two year pass???

Duke of Buckingham

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2007, 06:28:10 am »

What about Clints stumble in the Tennessee game............He put the ball on the ground still in hand before it popped out............He should've been down where the ball touched...............NOT A FUMBLE

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, here, but it was not a fumble. The player is down when any part of the body, other than the hand or foot, touch the ground. The ball does not figure into the equation, other than it is considered a part of the hand.

Let's see -- the ball is considered part of the hand, you're down when any part of the body OTHER than the hand or foot touch the ground. Stoerner puts the ball on the ground, so he's not down because the ball is part of his hand, so that WOULD make it a fumble by that logic.

The theory that it was a bad call was, unfortunately, refuted pretty well at the time. If it had been a wrong call, the 1982 PI, the 69 clip, the 60 FG and the huddle count would all have been purged from this list and we wouldn't even be having a discussion of alternatives.

The wrong call in that game was when our punter (Akins?) intentionally kicked a ball out of our end zone for a safety. It should have been Tennesee's ball in front of our goal line.

hoggystyle78

• Citizen of Mandrake Falls and Lifelong Hog fan
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2007, 07:36:27 am »

2 come to mind immediately, the pass interference call against SMU in 1982, and the traveling call on U.S. Reed at the end of the elite 8 game against Larry Bird and Indiana State.

PennHOG

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2007, 08:10:53 am »

how about the BB game against LSU when Mike Jones hit that 3 but they called it a 2...it was at the end of the game....

I was thinking about that one too I just couldn't remember who made the shot.  I remember the still photos proving the refs were wrong.  It hurt even more for me because it was LSU.

kgr

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2007, 08:21:28 am »

Tommy Bell's Call of good on a certain field goal against Ole Piss

The non-call of the clip on James Street's run for a t.d. in 1969 Texas game

Walt Coleman's gift to New England against Oakland.

Any call by any basketball official in the NBA

The one from HDN to TP.

Gwa

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2007, 10:02:29 am »

Two calls have always bothered me.  The field goal in 1960 and holding against the Hogs in the Liberty bowl.

razorbass

• Hogville.net
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2007, 10:15:16 am »

The Liberty Bowl, Arkansas versus Tennessee -- Tennessee fumbles, Tom Reed recovers the fumble, stands up and hands the ball to the referee, and he awards t he ball to Tennessee
That was my second choice!

scorhog

« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2007, 10:26:49 am »

You are correct on both accounts.

Ole Miss
I never hear it mentioned but the play preceding that field goal something very strange occurred. Ole Miss lined up and kicked the field goal and it was good—no doubt about it—however, an official claimed someone had asked for a timeout just before the ball was snapped and he had granted it. The field goal was disallowed and Ole Miss was forced to re-kick. I had a bad angle from my location and could not honestly say if the kick was good or not. An overwhelming majority of the people I have talked with that claim to have had a good look swears the kick was no good.

SMU
Yes, that very thing did happen. It was a very questionable call that ended up giving SMU an easy TD and allowing them get a tie and knock us out of the Cotton Bowl.

We had the lead and SMU had the ball late in the game. I’m not absolutely sure but I do believe it was on a 4th down and long. The SMU QB threw long down the left sideline. The ball was badly overthrown and our DB (Nathan Jones) was between the receiver and the ball. The DB realizing the pass was overthrown slowed down and dropped his arms to his side. The receiver ran up his back and the official threw a flag. When it happened I thought he was calling interference on the receiver and when he called it on the Jones I couldn’t believe it. In those days the ball was placed at the spot of the foul and there was no such thing as an uncatchable ball.

That official later stated if the DB had not dropped his arms to his side and slowed down he would not have called it. There was no way that receiver would have caught that ball so it should have been a no-call.

There was a newspaper—I think it was the Shreveport paper—ran a carton the next week showing a official running down the field carrying a Mustang in his arms with a pony express bag around his neck.

A call that has always bothered me was a call in the Texas game of 69

A disappointed Razorback team played very uninspired football and lost to Ole Miss in the Sugar bowl. One wonders what may have happened if we had won the Texas game and Montgomery and crew had been turned loose against a very slow Notre Dame team in the Cotton Bowl.

Amen, 69 Texas game.  That one was for all the marbles.

TheRazorbackGuy

• Arkansas Basketball The Misery Continues....
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2007, 10:34:08 am »

Worst call for me....

How bout the LSU game last year in football. I mean throwing 4 HAIL MARY's with Casey Dick?
I'm still irate about those calls... McFadden had over 200 yards vs LSU when no one had over 100 against them since Cadillac in 2004. Razorbacks EVEN WITHOUT ANY TIMEOUTS should have kept running the Wild Cat.... That was pathetic... Final score is LSU winning by 5. All because we want to throw 4 Hail Marys with a Sun Belt caliber QB...

Houston Nutt's 4 hail marys last Thanksgiving was the WORST EVER

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2007, 10:54:48 am »

thats probably the worst basketball call Ive ever seen. One of the most bizzare games I've ever seen. They raped us out of that one.

We also got raped agaisnt Illinois when Ted Hillary called the BS charge on Brandon Dean when we would have won the game.

Hollywood_HOGan45

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2007, 10:56:04 am »

Worst call for me....

How bout the LSU game last year in football. I mean throwing 4 HAIL MARY's with Casey Dick?
I'm still irate about those calls... McFadden had over 200 yards vs LSU when no one had over 100 against them since Cadillac in 2004. Razorbacks EVEN WITHOUT ANY TIMEOUTS should have kept running the Wild Cat.... That was pathetic... Final score is LSU winning by 5. All because we want to throw 4 Hail Marys with a Sun Belt caliber QB...

Houston Nutt's 4 hail marys last Thanksgiving was the WORST EVER
the 4th and 5 pass call was worse than that.

We only gave Dick one option in Marcus Monk and as soon as LSU jumped the route, the play was over. Terrible call by nutt. Even he admitted it for once.

mj4president

« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2007, 11:00:26 am »

Other than the LSU calls. I would be considered a hugger I guess b/c if you say anything positive at all about the guy you are one, but the play action and trying to throw to Mitch Petrus against wisconsin was by far the worst call in the history of football. I mean the guy is going to play guard this season

Hollywood_HOGan45

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2007, 11:04:16 am »

Other than the LSU calls. I would be considered a hugger I guess b/c if you say anything positive at all about the guy you are one, but the play action and trying to throw to Mitch Petrus against wisconsin was by far the worst call in the history of football. I mean the guy is going to play guard this season

still remember another nutt blunder in 02

We had a 4th and 1 against Tennessee and then put Tavaris Jackson in and Matt Jones at wideout. We called a dad gum fade pattern to Matt Jones on a key 4th down.

We had those bastards beat so many times that night but because of stupid playcalling and placekicking, we lost that game. Seems like those have been constant problems in the nutt era.

Razor-back

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2007, 11:06:16 am »

Kenny Hatfield 3rd and 18 against Texas and he ran the draw play and got stuffed at the line..

I remember that like it was yesterday!

HoopHog

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2007, 03:24:24 pm »

<RING, RING> 

"Hooston, dis is Frank Broyles.  I wun yuu ta be mah hayd coach at thu Unaversatee av Awkansaw!"

WORST CALL EVER!   

uastudent11

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2007, 03:45:18 pm »

he let the ball go before he fell into the guy and they should have counted the basket and didn't. i can hardly ever remember this call being made before this time. even the announcers were saying it was a bad call. now it seems like they award the basket while calling charging all the time

RedSatinHog

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2007, 03:59:37 pm »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

Yep, that pass interference penalty was the most horrendous call I can ever remember, at least in football anyway.

PAHog

• Senior
  • It's my fault Nutt wasn't fired sooner
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2007, 04:44:06 pm »

Holding call on George Wilson to bring back a Matt Jones TD against Auburn in 2003 that ruined what could have been a great season.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas