• 9,881,443 Posts
• 398,174 Topics
• 22,802 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst call you can remember  (Read 7507 times)

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
Re: Worst call you can remember
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2018, 10:23:47 am »

It has to be the 82 SMU DPI call on the Hogs. That one was so blatantly bad that everyone who saw it knew the ref called it simply to help SMU, period. Not one thing in that play was even close to defensive interference.

I have not read all the others mentioned, but of the ones I have, the rest involved judgement calls, but this one was just purposeful.

oldhawg

« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2018, 12:08:27 pm »

It has to be the 82 SMU DPI call on the Hogs. That one was so blatantly bad that everyone who saw it knew the ref called it simply to help SMU, period. Not one thing in that play was even close to defensive interference.

I have not read all the others mentioned, but of the ones I have, the rest involved judgement calls, but this one was just purposeful.

I would have to say that Preston Watts call in the 1971 Liberty Bowl against Tennessee has to fall in that same "purposeful' category.  These have to be the two most egregious calls in Arkansas football history.  Perhaps the pass interference in the SMU game moreso because it was a conference game with title implications.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2018, 12:35:45 pm »

I would have to say that Preston Watts call in the 1971 Liberty Bowl against Tennessee has to fall in that same "purposeful' category.  These have to be the two most egregious calls in Arkansas football history.  Perhaps the pass interference in the SMU game moreso because it was a conference game with title implications.

I was 1 yr old in 1971, so although I have heard about that one, it does not stick out in my mind.

BenDial

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2018, 03:20:01 pm »

The entire 4th quarter against the Gators. The Broadway PI call in the end zone, the phantom personal foul against Sheppard. The whole 4th quarter was just absolutely awful.

bollweevil

« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2018, 09:19:51 am »

The offensive interference call on John Rees in the first quarter of the Big Shootout that negated a Montgomery to Dicus touchdown pass. Montgomery audibled from a running play to a pass but because of the crowd noise, Rees didn't hear the call. He made a half-hearted attempt at blocking a Texas DB on the other side of the field from the pass and after the Texas DB lobbied for the call, the ref threw the flag.  Had absolutely no impact on the play's outcome. Would have given the Hogs a 14-0 first quarter lead and we might have been leading 21-0 in the third quarter if not for that call. (Honorable mention:  Preston Watts' two horrible calls in the Liberty Bowl vs. Tennessee. A late flag for offensive holding on a made field goal that would have made it 16-7 in the fourth quarter, and awarding the ball to Tennessee in front of their bench when Tom Reed came out of the pile and handed the ball to Watts.  By the way, Watts was a UT grad.)

bollweevil

« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2018, 09:41:38 am »

One more thing about the Preston Watts calls . . . was watching a YouTube video on the history of Tennessee football (hey, it was a slow day) and they were interviewing one of their players about the Liberty Bowl.  He actually laughed and shook his head about those two calls. He said "How do you call offensive holding on a field goal attempt? We got lucky there."  And as they ran the video of the fumble he said "Watch this. The Arkansas player falls on the ball and our players all piled on. It happened right in front of our bench and all our players and coaches immediately started pointing that it was our ball. The ref (Watts) signaled it was our ball without waiting for the players to unpile." The guy just shook his head and laughed again.  Come to think of it, those were the worst calls in my lifetime. And for months after, hotels and motels ran "Preston Watts not welcome here" on their marquees.

mj4president

« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2018, 09:06:19 pm »

Not reading 4 pages but Reggie Herring calling 2 consecutive fake punts has to be up there. lol, the 2nd one he had Reggie Fish pitch it to our FB Farrod Jackson.

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2018, 09:52:41 pm »

Agreed.  In terms of horrible calls...there are three that I'll never understand. 

1.  The LSU play where the clock was running out, and an LSU players was tackled CLEARLY inbounds, and the refs called it out of bounds and stopped the clock.  It wasn't even debatable...at NO point was the LSU player out of bounds even after he was tackled, and laying motionless on the field.  They stopped the clock, and gave LSU just enough time to score and win the game.  I have no idea how that could be a simple "missed call."  I don't recall the year...

2.  The Fla Tebow game.  They absolutely GAVE Tebow a first down on a critical play when he was down a FULL YARD short of the first down on a 4th down call.  They just took the ball...and spotted it a yard forward of where it should have been, measured it, and gave them the first down.  It was blatantly obvious.  That was also the phantom 15 hard personal foul call when the Fla player initiated it, AND delivered the forearm shiver.  I was watching with my father and law and he said, "I hope they don't hit our player again, or it will be another 15 on us."   ;D   That was the famous referee suspension game...like that helped us at all. 

3.  This one...maybe be the worst.  It was the 2010 Auburn game.  There was a play where they were awarded a TD, but the ball was fumbled by Auburn short of the goal line and we recovered.  To this day, the ball has never crossed the goal line.  They even reviewed the call.  Even the announcers were saying it was blatant, and it would be reversed.  Nope.  They upheld the call on the field.  To this day I don't understand how that could have happened unless the guys in the review booth were blind, or on the take.     

pigasaurus

• Senior
  • Simply the greatest
« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2018, 10:27:30 am »

Larry Bird (No charge) against US Reed.

Several calls or lack of. This game about broke my heart.

razobak

• Calling the Hogs from the top of the Rockies.
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2018, 10:54:54 am »

I focus on the 2009 LSU game and the cheating ref who made the "out of bounds" call not because the game was the most important we ever played, but because the call was so blatantly dishonest.  There is no way the official could have "missed it".  It wasn't close, he didn't have to look for possession or anything else that might cause him to not focus on where the ball carrier's knee... and entire body for that matter...hit the turf, and he was in perfect position.

He's just dishonest, a thief who wanted LSU to win and stole a game from the Arkansas players, staff, and fans.

By the way, that 2009 team finished 8-5 despite having the Florida and LSU games taken from them on the road.  That should have been a 10 win team.

You're referring to this call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7hhn8HvvZw

HF#1

« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2018, 11:01:17 am »

The 2009 Tim Tebow call was beyond absurd. Every ref on the field should have been fired as soon as the clock hit 0's.

RazorNick

• Hogville member since 2006
« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2018, 03:38:56 pm »

The Tony Bua Roughing the QB call versus Florida.

That's the one that first popped into my mind

razobak

• Calling the Hogs from the top of the Rockies.
« Reply #162 on: July 05, 2018, 10:45:46 am »

The 2009 Tim Tebow call was beyond absurd. Every ref on the field should have been fired as soon as the clock hit 0's.

I mean, they were at least suspended for the next game. Only time that's ever been done in the SEC if I recall. Hollow consolation but still...

whosiskid

• Try to become the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #163 on: July 05, 2018, 02:27:23 pm »

The fumble in the 1971 Liberty Bowl that was absolutely given to Tennessee after we handed the ball to the ref. Cost us the game

I agree. Bruce Maxwell was the running back, if I remember correctly. He had was tackled and hit the ground. He then laid the ball down as he was getting back up. He had complete control of the ball the whole time. The only thing you can say in defense of the ref was that his view was blocked by Maxwell's back. While Maxwell had definitely, clearly had complete control of the ball after hitting the ground, and while he had even laid very briefly on the ground before getting back up, he probably should have waited until he heard the ref whistle the play dead. He knew the play was over, but the ref didn't. Today, of course, the play would have been reversed thanks to instant replay. The announcers condemned the call since TV showed that Maxwell had not lost control of the ball, but had merely tossed it on the ground after hitting the ground. It was clear that he laid the ball down only after the play had ended. Just a bad, bad, bad call.

In basketball the worst call - partly because it cost Arkansas a trip to the Final Four - was U.S Reed getting called for traveling when the TV replay showed no such thing. It cost Arkansas the possession with only a little bit left in the game. This was the game where Larry Bird lit the Razorbacks up in the first half. But in the second half Sutton put Sidney Moncrief on Bird, and I think he scored only one basket in the second half. Sidney just completely shut him down. At this time they named only one player of the game, instead of naming the best player for each team. They broke precedent and named both Sidney Moncrief and Larry Bird co-Players of the Game. I think Sidney scored 24 and Bird had 30 something. But mainly it was Sidney shutting Bird down in the second half. My all time favorite Razorback basketball player. And all time best Sports Illustrated cover.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2018, 09:43:02 pm »

Jon Richardson "fumbled" in the '71 Liberty Bowl.

Hogswarts

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2018, 02:46:14 am »

I think you can get several of the worst by watching the 2009 Florida game. Especially the personal foul call against Malcolm Sheppard. One of the most ridiculous games I’ve ever seen. You know it’s bad when Gary and Verne were talking about how bad the officiating is.

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2018, 05:16:00 am »

the call that has haunted me the most was made by Frank Broyles..  3rd and 7 at the Texas 7 leading 14-8 with about 4 minutes to play.. he called a pass and it was intercepted and the rest is the History we've had to live with... imo, no referee has cost us as much..

As for refs.. the Florida game had about 6 of them.. reminiscent of many of our Texas games
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 01:32:32 pm by Dominicanhog »

BigBrandonAllenFan

« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2018, 12:59:36 pm »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

This.  The most bogus pass interference call in history.  Remember it well.  Watched the game on the big screen at the old Pizza Hut on Rebsamen Park Rd.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas