• 9,881,182 Posts
• 398,156 Topics
• 22,802 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst call you can remember  (Read 7504 times)

John Futrall

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • In the beginning....
Worst call you can remember
« on: June 26, 2007, 10:40:38 am »

Saw this on a national board, and I figured it be a good question since we're in that "summer lull":

What is the worst call/non-call (referee) in a college football game that you can remember? Were you at the game or watching it on TV?

While it be interesting to hear stories about Arkansas games (since I'm not well-versed in football history beyond 1993), you can include other teams as well :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:53:01 am by mikeyg31 »

razorbass

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Re: Worst call you can remember
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:47:35 am »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

The Marmot

• Gold Hogvillian
  • He's still pissed off.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:48:57 am »

The fifth down between Colorado and Mizzou had to one of the worst:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Down

Jerk Pork

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 10:49:36 am »

Kenny Hatfield 3rd and 18 against Texas and he ran the draw play and got stuffed at the line..

Ish O

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:50:31 am »

I forget who our receiver was but the illegal block in the back call against Auburn a few years ago that took away Matt Jone's long touchdown run. That TD would have won the game for the Hogs.

HogNuttz

• Nutt pictured here holding all of his SEC trophies
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:50:55 am »

Holding call on George Wilson when Matt Jones scored a TD. He dove at the guys legs and had his hands by his shoulders, yet this was somehow a hold.  The worst part of it was that the call was in the open field without linemen or other big bodies obstructing the view.

Conway Cool Daddy

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:54:50 am »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

The time that I learned that life isn't fair.
I was 11 yo and was crushed because we lost that game.

RazorChuck

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:55:17 am »

When nutt was hired, still chapped about that call.

gobcssaints

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:58:22 am »

Arkansas vs. Georgia, SEC basketball tournament, 199?.....referee places basketball on the floor and begins his 5 second count while the Hogs are still in a huddle by the bench during a timeout.   Georgia ended up winning and that call forced a crucial turnover.  I still want to hit that guy.

ICEman

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 11:00:30 am »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU
Yep, that'll be the one.

The Marmot

• Gold Hogvillian
  • He's still pissed off.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 11:01:05 am »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

I was 7. What was the call?

HogNuttz

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 11:01:42 am »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU
Yep, that'll be the one.

For us younger pups, please elaborate.

MDW

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 11:02:29 am »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU
Yep, that'll be the one.

I still remember ABC's Keith Jackson in watching the replay of that infamous play:

"That's a bad call!  That's a bad call!"

Didn't change anything, of course.

TOM "tbw1"

• Pragmatic Curmudgeon
  • Global Moderator
  • War Chicken
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 11:04:54 am »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

Just about the time I am over Horton Nestra, you have to bring it up.   Let me spend time in Beautiful Houston at the Bluebonnet Bowl. 

Conway Cool Daddy

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 11:05:48 am »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

SMU threw a deep pass. Our corner was in position to make the interception and the WR ran up his back
practically tackling him to the ground. Pass interference on us. Ball placed at the spot of the foul.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 11:05:56 am »

This one was in the Hogs favor.....during Hatfields time....at Razorback stadium in the north endzone....Shiebest caught or should I say fielded a ball after it bounced on the artificial turf and the official called it a TD.  It was so funny...thats the end where the students were and everyone could see the ball bounced and JS picked up on a short hop...he raised it up in the air saying he caught it and the official signaled TD....amazing.

Against the Hogs....too many to put in one post.

Cresthog

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 11:06:28 am »

The Tony Bua Roughing the QB call versus Florida.

Ouachihog

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 11:06:57 am »

Inadvertent whistle at South Carolina in 2004. 

For the few who don't remember this....

On SC's first possession, we returned an INT for a TD.  On the ensuing kickoff, SC fumbled the catch and we recovered at about the 25 yard line I believe.  The guy had signaled for a fair catch (it was a sky kick/short kick/pooch kick or whatever you call it) but he dropped the ball without securing possession.  The ref blew the whistle as soon as the ball made contact with the SC player.  After a long discussion, the refs awarded SC the ball b/c they had mistakenly blown the whistle.  Instead of having the ball deep in SC territory with a 7-0 lead, SC had the ball and drove for a TD to tie the game.  SC won by 3, 35-32.  This was the difference in a losing (5-6) and winning season for the Hogs in 04.  It was still a tough year, but 6-5 and the Indy Bowl would have been better than 5-6 and sitting at home. 

The Marmot

• Gold Hogvillian
  • He's still pissed off.
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 11:10:36 am »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

SMU threw a deep pass. Our corner was in position to make the interception and the WR ran up his back
practically tackling him to the ground. Pass interference on us. Ball placed at the spot of the foul.

Wow. Wonder if YouTube has that...

HogNuttz

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 11:12:08 am »

On SC's first possession, we returned an INT for a TD.  On the ensuing kickoff, SC fumbled the catch and we recovered at about the 25 yard line I believe.  The guy had signaled for a fair catch (it was a sky kick/short kick/pooch kick or whatever you call it) but he dropped the ball without securing possession.  The ref blew the whistle as soon as the ball made contact with the SC player.  After a long discussion, the refs awarded SC the ball b/c they had mistakenly blown the whistle.  Instead of having the ball deep in SC territory with a 7-0 lead, SC had the ball and drove for a TD to tie the game.  SC won by 3, 35-32.  This was the difference in a losing (5-6) and winning season for the Hogs in 04.  It was still a tough year, but 6-5 and the Indy Bowl would have been better than 5-6 and sitting at home. 

I thought about that one too.  Although there was plenty of time left in the game, you could tell it completely changed the momentum and, IMO, changed the outcome of the game.  It's hard to argue that SC didn't get at least 7 points out of it, if not gaining 7 and holding us back another 7.

StoernerJonesFan

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 11:16:30 am »

THat cancelled out our comeback at home, right? 
Brutal.

TOM "tbw1"

• Pragmatic Curmudgeon
  • Global Moderator
  • War Chicken
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 11:16:37 am »

I thought about that one too.  Although there was plenty of time left in the game, you could tell it completely changed the momentum and, IMO, changed the outcome of the game.  It's hard to argue that SC didn't get at least 7 points out of it, if not gaining 7 and holding us back another 7.

That may be but we had the lead late in the game and let them go the length of the field to beat us.  We had the lead and could not keep them from scoring.  That beat us that day.

Hoot72

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 11:18:02 am »

The Liberty Bowl, Arkansas versus Tennessee -- Tennessee fumbles, Tom Reed recovers the fumble, stands up and hands the ball to the referee, and he awards t he ball to Tennessee

hogfan064

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 11:22:48 am »

That may be but we had the lead late in the game and let them go the length of the field to beat us.  We had the lead and could not keep them from scoring.  That beat us that day.

I was at the game and sitting near Hillis' aunt.  WHen the Hogs had a lead late she kept yelling "Give the ball to Hillis!!"  Finally they did and he fumbled, Ko Simpson ran the fumble back for a TD. 

djgaffer

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 11:23:31 am »

Arkansas vs. Georgia, SEC basketball tournament, 199?.....referee places basketball on the floor and begins his 5 second count while the Hogs are still in a huddle by the bench during a timeout.   Georgia ended up winning and that call forced a crucial turnover.  I still want to hit that guy.

I've talked to Andre specifically about that call.  He hates it too.  That was the last of several huddles we were late to break out of, and that's the referee's only real means of resort.  He told us he would have counted to 100 before he blew a violation, but that didn't help us rushing and turning the ball over. 

It won't make you feel better, but he knows just how much we remember that call.  Every game he called here, up until '06 even.  Students who were in elementary school at the time of the call were still hammering him.

Ouachihog

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 11:24:28 am »

Yeah, big turnaround.  Like TBW said, we did have the lead late in the game and let them score to win it, but neither defense played well that day.  Which makes me think even more that we would have scored at least 3 had the fumble been called correctly. 

Fillmore Slim

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 11:24:30 am »

The thing I remember most about that game was Vickiel Vaughn whiffing on a tackle at the line of scrimmage, and the receiver picking up about 15 yards and a 1st down on 3rd and long.  Worst attempt at a tackle I've ever seen.  I've hated him ever since.

John Futrall

• In the beginning....
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 11:24:54 am »

Brutal.

That would be the one...I had some friends who stayed the entire game and said that the call was "sickening"...Still urks me to this day :(

HogHillbilly

• ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS NATIONAL CHAMPS - SOUNDS GOOD
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 11:26:24 am »

What about Clints stumble in the Tennessee game............He put the ball on the ground still in hand before it popped out............He should've been down where the ball touched...............NOT A FUMBLE

Ouachihog

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 11:29:38 am »

Arkansas vs. Georgia, SEC basketball tournament, 199?.....referee places basketball on the floor and begins his 5 second count while the Hogs are still in a huddle by the bench during a timeout.   Georgia ended up winning and that call forced a crucial turnover.  I still want to hit that guy.

I've talked to Andre specifically about that call.  He hates it too.  That was the last of several huddles we were late to break out of, and that's the referee's only real means of resort.  He told us he would have counted to 100 before he blew a violation, but that didn't help us rushing and turning the ball over. 

It won't make you feel better, but he knows just how much we remember that call.  Every game he called here, up until '06 even.  Students who were in elementary school at the time of the call were still hammering him.

If he would have counted to 100 before he blew a violation, then it obviously wasn't THAT big of a  deal to him about us getting out of the huddle late.  He chose to enact his "last resort" in a 1 or 2 point game inside the last few seconds.  Just hold the ball until the players get out there. 

Personally, I hope he gets the business from our fans every game he calls in BWA for the next 100 years. 

Ouachihog

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 11:32:08 am »

The thing I remember most about that game was Vickiel Vaughn whiffing on a tackle at the line of scrimmage, and the receiver picking up about 15 yards and a 1st down on 3rd and long.  Worst attempt at a tackle I've ever seen.  I've hated him ever since.

Yeah, both defenses were pretty bad that day.  Vaughn did have the INT return for a TD earlier in the game.  Feast or famine I guess.  Probably why we ended up 5-6. 

HDale

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 11:32:37 am »

How about the Oklahomo V Oregon game last year.
I hate Chokelahoma but they got jobbed on that call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUI-KvkHBhc

djgaffer

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 11:40:26 am »

If he would have counted to 100 before he blew a violation, then it obviously wasn't THAT big of a  deal to him about us getting out of the huddle late.  He chose to enact his "last resort" in a 1 or 2 point game inside the last few seconds.  Just hold the ball until the players get out there. 

Personally, I hope he gets the business from our fans every game he calls in BWA for the next 100 years. 

No, he wanted us out of the huddle.  He didn't want to cause a turnover.  He would up getting both.  Anyway, was just telling you what he said.  It was interesting to see him tell the story.

Duke of Buckingham

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 11:47:47 am »

1960 field goal call for Ole Miss by Tommy Bell.

My personal standard: if someone nominates a call and doesn't know the name of the ref: -- Bell, Nearsta (sp?), Preston Watts, Patillo -- I really don't consider the allegedly bad call too infamous.

TOM "tbw1"

• Pragmatic Curmudgeon
  • Global Moderator
  • War Chicken
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 11:51:20 am »

1960 field goal call for Ole Miss by Tommy Bell.

My personal standard: if someone nominates a call and doesn't know the name of the ref: -- Bell, Nearsta (sp?), Preston Watts, Patillo -- I really don't consider the allegedly bad call too infamous.

AMEN!

311Hog

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 11:57:18 am »

I forget who our receiver was but the illegal block in the back call against Auburn a few years ago that took away Matt Jone's long touchdown run. That TD would have won the game for the Hogs.

that phantom call happened twice in that game /

311Hog

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 12:00:55 pm »

Brutal.

That would be the one...I had some friends who stayed the entire game and said that the call was "sickening"...Still urks me to this day :(

yeah i was there for that whole game, talk about irrate i had to be physically restrained.

Hammibal Lecter

• Hogvillian
  • "Cry havoc and unleash the Hawgs of war!"
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 12:08:57 pm »

What about the charging call on brandon dean when he hit the floater at the buzzer to beat (or so we thought) then highly ranked illinois in a nationall televised ESPN 2 game...believe it was in chicago...dont remember exact year but the game started at like 11 am...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 12:21:01 pm by Terminuttor »

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 12:25:02 pm »

1982 Arkansas vs. SMU

ditto.  I was 13 and had gone to that game with my sister and her 3 friends in a VW bug.  Long ride home.

Bvilleboar

• Senior
  • Burnt orange is not a color it is a disease!
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2007, 12:26:36 pm »

Too easy.  82 SMU game pass interference call.  :puke:

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2007, 12:27:30 pm »

that bastard larry leatherwood on Matt Jones super 75 yard run against Auburn in 03

Hammibal Lecter

• Hogvillian
  • "Cry havoc and unleash the Hawgs of war!"
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2007, 12:30:40 pm »

or worst call ever was my dad "missing" the birth of his second child to watch hogs vs houston october '79....BAD CALL POP! mom still hasnt forgiven him

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2007, 12:34:15 pm »

Don Rutledge Todd day charge call against Alabama in our first SEC game.

havnet seen this one mentioned yet

MDW

Re: The 1982 SMU game
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2007, 12:41:38 pm »

If I recall correctly, the result of the horrible pass interference call against us in the SMU game in 1982 was that the rule was changed to make pass interference a 15 yard penalty instead of a spot of the foul penalty.  It ended up being about a 50 yard phantom penalty that day.

EastexHawg

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2007, 12:53:52 pm »

My wife and I were two of the 20,000 to 25,000 who stayed to the end after Sorahan's pick six gave Florida a 33-7 lead.  The call on Bua was sickening, because everyone in the stadium...from the fans, to the Razorback players, to probably even the Florida players...knew that if Matt Jones had gotten his hands on the ball again that day there was no way he wasn't going to get it into the end zone...

But it was a good call.  It was a stupid play by Tony Bua, but it was a good call.

There are still photographs that clearly show the ball well out of Chris Leak's hand while Bua's feet were still on the ground.  The definitive picture has been posted on this forum numerous times.  Maybe someone will post it again.

Bua even admitted that he hit Leak helmet to helmet.  It sucks that it happened, because it negated Sam Olajubutu's interception and prevented the Hogs from (probably) completing the greatest comeback in the program's history, but the mistake on that play was Bua's, not the ref's.

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2007, 12:54:58 pm »

Too easy.  82 SMU game pass interference call.  :puke:

Bumper stickers were made about that call.

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2007, 12:56:18 pm »

If I recall correctly, the result of the horrible pass interference call against us in the SMU game in 1982 was that the rule was changed to make pass interference a 15 yard penalty instead of a spot of the foul penalty.  It ended up being about a 50 yard phantom penalty that day.

I think you're right.  It cost us the SWC Championship that year.

Ouachihog

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2007, 01:00:53 pm »

My wife and I were two of the 20,000 to 25,000 who stayed to the end after Sorahan's pick six gave Florida a 33-7 lead.  The call on Bua was sickening, because everyone in the stadium...from the fans, to the Razorback players, to probably even the Florida players...knew that if Matt Jones had gotten his hands on the ball again that day there was no way he wasn't going to get it into the end zone...

But it was a good call.  It was a stupid play by Tony Bua, but it was a good call.

There are still photographs that clearly show the ball well out of Chris Leak's hand while Bua's feet were still on the ground.  The definitive picture has been posted on this forum numerous times.  Maybe someone will post it again.

Bua even admitted that he hit Leak helmet to helmet.  It sucks that it happened, because it negated Sam Olajubutu's interception and prevented the Hogs from (probably) completing the greatest comeback in the program's history, but the mistake on that play was Bua's, not the ref's.

I agree, it was one of the most painful calls in Hog history, but it wasn't a bad call. 

biggiepiggie

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2007, 01:11:56 pm »

In the old SWC days we had about 20 touchdowns called back against
Texas for phantom fouls that never appeared on the film.

peakhog

• Hogvillian
  • I have been to the mountain top!
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2007, 01:17:08 pm »

Larry Bird (No charge) against US Reed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas