• 10,106,703 Posts
• 403,929 Topics
• 23,065 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why so much patience with Nutt, but NONE with Heath....  (Read 1540 times)

twistitup

why so much patience with Nutt, but NONE with Heath....
« on: April 28, 2007, 07:33:43 am »

Speaking of quick on the trigger....why was Stan forced out after going to the tournament and continuing to build his team....just to let HDN stick around with a fire storm of controversy,  including issues much more troubling than those that faced the basketball team.

I am just confused, we got rid of a coach that instilled values, was upstanding, honest, great character, etc.....and kept one that is just the opposite

bookhog

• Bench Warmer
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
Re: why so much patience with Nutt, but NONE with Heath....
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 07:52:32 am »

come on, you know why....
to distract from the real problem!!!! so the Athletic dept would "appear" like they were actually doing something to "help" our programs get back on top. Unfortunately Stan was the scapegoat to delay the inevitable.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

WordToYourLlama

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 07:59:08 am »

Because this season Nutt went 10-2 in the regular season and had a heisman candidate.    The time to fire him was before this last year.

WestMemphisHog

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 08:00:49 am »

Heath had no grasp of the magnitude of our basketball program...maybe because of his Michigan Roots. He was way too laid back...His players didn't play for him....had the 2nd best talent in SEC and still BARELY made the tourney. Our Basketball program is #8 all time...I grew up in the Sutton  And Richardson era...I expect nothing less than beatdowns by our Basketball team. He also talked in 1st person...He had NO PASSION. I didn't like him from the onset...He looked like a lost kid at his hiring press confrence when they called the hogs...He looked worse than Altman did

Lanny

• The1
  • Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The1
    • Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 08:01:46 am »

Heath's team put you to sleep.  With Nutt one knows what is going to happen unless it's a passing down.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 10:45:00 am by hSv »

WestMemphisHog

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 08:05:08 am »

Oh yea....there's more...His style of play was boring, He made the fresh legs exuse for why he didn't press against Bucknell....He also said after the USC loss ....I guess I underestimated USC....C"Mon man.........This dude was in over his head.BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PigWig

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 08:11:59 am »

Heath was not ready to take the reigns of this program. He recruited well but did not have what it takes to excite and motivate players.

JEM

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 08:48:17 am »

Speaking of quick on the trigger....why was Stan forced out after going to the tournament and continuing to build his team....just to let HDN stick around with a fire storm of controversy,  including issues much more troubling than those that faced the basketball team.

I am just confused, we got rid of a coach that instilled values, was upstanding, honest, great character, etc.....and kept one that is just the opposite

"under review"
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:59:26 am by JEM »

razorsharphawg

• Varsity
  • The original "winner and fighter"
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 08:58:02 am »

I used to feel the same way...why was Stan getting pressured to win but Dale could have two losing seasons back to back?  Well, like it or not, Dale kind of revived the program and has had a few very successful seasons (granted he can't seem to win in the postseason).  Take the Cotton Bowl win in 2000 and this past season (10 wins), for example.  Stan, on the other hand, never had a season where we could look back and say our team was truly successful.  Two NCAA tourney appearances (both losses) won't cut it when we're used to more.  Plus, you had the bad attendance at Bball games and football games continue to have great attendance, despite all the hatred for Dale.  That's what it boils down to. 

granny grunt

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 09:35:12 am »

NUTT'S team put you to sleep.  With him one never knows what is going to happen unless it's a passing down.
Oh yea....there's more...NUTT'S style of play was boring, He made  exuses for why he didn't beat Vandy....He also said after the USC loss ....I guess I underestimated USC....C"Mon man.........This dude was in over his head.BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NUTT was not ready to take the reigns of this program. He didn't recruit well and did not have what it takes to excite and motivate players.
Fixed that for you.........

tropical soooiee

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 09:59:09 am »

Like it or not Heath was an Affirmative Action hire. Once the Nolan thing was settled and they felt like they had good reason to do it, they went after the coach they wanted.

Held Hawgstage

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 10:42:07 am »

Unfortunately, race had everything to do with it. If we can be honest with ourselves, deep down, how sad it is, we know that's the truth.

davehog

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 10:51:46 am »

It's because the football and basketball coaches are not judged equally.  Nolan tried to tell everybody about this, and we just thought it was crazy talk.  Now it is not so crazy, is it?

JEM

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 10:56:55 am »

I used to feel the same way...why was Stan getting pressured to win but Dale could have two losing seasons back to back?  Well, like it or not, Dale kind of revived the program and has had a few very successful seasons (granted he can't seem to win in the postseason).  Take the Cotton Bowl win in 2000 and this past season (10 wins), for example.  Stan, on the other hand, never had a season where we could look back and say our team was truly successful.  Two NCAA tourney appearances (both losses) won't cut it when we're used to more.  Plus, you had the bad attendance at Bball games and football games continue to have great attendance, despite all the hatred for Dale.  That's what it boils down to. 

Good post

IcEwalker

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 11:15:02 am »

houston nutt doesnt have problem motivating his players to play. heath lost his team...

Held Hawgstage

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 11:31:06 am »

houston nutt doesnt have problem motivating his players to play. heath lost his team...

A lost team doesn't play you into the SEC championship and NCAA tournament. Houston motivated his players enough to lose them to USC football program.

rocksalt

• Varsity
  • Hey HDN, I Found Your Career In Here !
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 12:30:02 pm »

come on, you know why....
to distract from the real problem!!!! so the Athletic dept would "appear" like they were actually doing something to "help" our programs get back on top. Unfortunately Stan was the scapegoat to delay the inevitable.

That's exactly right. If they were to choose between the two objectivley even BEFORE last season, HDN had more problems going on than Stan did. Heath was the sacrificial lamb, only it didn't calm things down. In fact, it allowed Frank to again show why he shouldn't have control of anything (this time nationally), which just made things worse. We are happy with the eventual outcome in the BB corner, but the FB corner is still rediculous. They put a bandaid on an amputation and it's not working.

Supermark101

• Senior
  • We all need a little Love
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 12:52:29 pm »

MONEY!!!!!

Basketball attendance was down. We will put up with a mediocre football program, but no a mediocre basketball program with a boring style of play, That is the only difference.

ttownhog

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 01:55:06 pm »

Good post

Houston has brought SOME excitement in the last 9 years with all the misery. With Stan it was just misery. I have season tickets and live outside of Arkansas. It takes a lot of effort to get to the U of A for a Tuesday night and watch a boring game where the Razorbacks end up losing against a rival. Over and over, and the whole time knowing "this is razorback basketball." We will be talented next year but weren't we talented 2 years ago with Ronnie and company. Stan had no upside.

Houston recruits bad and wins a big game here and there with inferior player. Stan recruits great and loses to inferior teams with Superior players.

TMc

• Eternal Hogvillian Hero
  • All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 02:09:34 pm »

I'm glad Heath is gone.., nice guy but not a coach for our level.  Leave Houston out of it.., Heath deserved to be fired .., I believe we've got a real coach now.

SLC

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • tFlagship!
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 02:24:35 pm »

MONEY!!!!!

Basketball attendance was down. We will put up with a mediocre football program, but no a mediocre basketball program with a boring style of play, That is the only difference.

You are correct.  Heath was not fired because he was black, he was fired because both attendance and revenue declined under him.  Although he did leave the program better off than he found it, but sad to say I am convinced last year is about as good as the program would be under Stan.   

LoseAnutt

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 02:26:33 pm »

Wow, I can't believe that noone has given this answer yet, so I'll say it....................BECAUSE NUTT IS WHITE AND HEATH IS BLACK. There I said it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

claytongray

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 02:39:04 pm »

Go look up how many weeks Stan Heath had Arkansas in the Top 25. I'll give you a hint - he's tied with Dana Altman.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2007, 02:55:10 pm »

Heath did not have Big Jim Lind$ey and the lap-dog Arkansas press behind him.

:razorback:

rocksalt

• Varsity
  • Hey HDN, I Found Your Career In Here !
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 02:58:55 pm »

They hired Heath to offset Nolan's accusations. I don't think they expected to do as good as he did, so they never were really behind him.

Justme

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2007, 03:25:30 pm »

True.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2007, 03:27:53 pm »

nutt is in with the right people.

He's broyles' little boy.

WindyCityHog

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2007, 03:30:41 pm »

Imus is a Hog fan.

Arkansas still has issues.

Word is, Orval Faubus was contacted by a medium and he orchestrated the whole thing.

Of course, this story is ridiculous, just as is the point of this thread.

defcoach

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

It's all about the Benjamins, there were too many unsold tickets for B'ball.  It doesn't matter what your record is, it's whether the $$ are flowing. 

JJHog

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2007, 05:08:14 pm »

There is no comparsion, Heath did nothing. At least HDN won 10 and had us in the SECCG.

Held Hawgstage

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2007, 05:14:51 pm »

The hype surrounding the Springdale connection sold those tickets. The only difference between last year and the previous two years were the Springdale boys. Of course the FB does better than the basketball ticket wise. They only play 5-6 games a year in Arkansas.

razorback903

• Senior
  • Proud step-dad of a U.S. Army soldier.
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2007, 05:33:32 pm »

Good Ole Boy U???

V

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2007, 05:34:06 pm »

attendance/revenue pure and simple

CarolinaHog1176

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2007, 06:04:14 pm »

MONEY!!!!!

You are correct.  Heath was not fired because he was black, he was fired because both attendance and revenue declined under him.  Although he did leave the program better off than he found it, but sad to say I am convinced last year is about as good as the program would be under Stan.

you're both right on the money with this one, no pun intended.  HDN, some way, has been able to keep the butts in the seats during ALL of the stuff that's been going on over the past couple of years.  Heath was an excellent recruiter but a horrible motivator and wasn't hard enough on his players to "make" them better.  even though we fell into the NCAA tournament this year, our attendance has been on the decline over the past couple of years.

ilovepinebluff

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2007, 06:06:05 pm »

a 6-33 road record.

flyspy

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2007, 06:28:15 pm »

Dollars.  The attendance in football has not dropped like basketball in Nolan's last years and Heath's years.  That is what got Frank's attention.

V

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2007, 06:47:06 pm »

huh? does that make sense, are you sure that is your final anwer?

They hired Heath to offset Nolan's accusations. I don't think they expected to do as good as he did, so they never were really behind him.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2007, 08:14:28 pm »

Have you seen U-Tube's "Many Faces of Stan Heath"?  That's the reason. :razorback:

JadedHog

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2007, 09:06:57 pm »

people are still buying football tickets

twistitup

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2007, 07:10:18 am »

When Pelph begins his first season ticket sales will be brisk, just like when Heath first started.....then when we start losing a game here and there....not meeting fan expectations, 'off court' troubles, etc....ticket sales and attendance will fall once again,

Then what? We fire Pelph and say your a good coach, we are winning, but attendance is down; GOOD BYE!

JAMAHog

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2007, 07:26:27 am »

Football stadium is full, BWA was half full at best sometimes.  Simple as that. 

twistitup

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2007, 07:53:08 am »

Football stadium is full, BWA was half full at best sometimes.  Simple as that. 

Will Pelph be let go when he does not fill BWA?

PiggyBack

• All-American Hogvillian
  • That's the last straw....
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2007, 09:41:41 am »

The idiots at ARSN defend Dale and not Heath.  If they fought for Heath half as hard as they fought for Dale, Stan would still be here.

I'm glad we got Pelphre, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that Dale gets propped up like no other coach on the hill.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas