• 10,110,353 Posts
• 404,024 Topics
• 23,071 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pelphrey had a press conference today...  (Read 4357 times)

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
Pelphrey had a press conference today...
« on: April 12, 2007, 05:52:04 pm »

And he's getting a lot of things accomplished, including hiring assistant coaches.  It appears none of Heath's former assistants will be retained on the staff.

http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=860893

:razorback:

Amityvillehogger

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Veni, vidi, vici...
Re: Pelphrey had a press conference today...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 05:53:42 pm »

hmm, sounds like good news

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 05:55:29 pm »

Least he's still on the job 3 days later...an Arkansas record. :razorback:

Squealsonwheels

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 05:56:12 pm »

Coach continues to impress me with his ideas and thoughts on the programs future...Also I loved hearing him bring up Coreys name...One of if not the greatest PG's ever at Arkansas   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

babywhiz

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Many Whelps! Handle it!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 05:56:38 pm »

What is the status with Sean McCurdy?

“It’s my understanding that he has gotten his release. I have not had a conversation with him yet. Most of the guys have been able to stop by and see me from time to time. I encourage them to do that, although I’ve been in and out, too. I’ve missed one or two guys, but Sean and I have not had a chance to talk yet.”

Has anyone else indicated that they want their release?

“No.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Dances a jig*

Who called it?  8)

*Dances another jig*

Teens aren't ALWAYS stupid. heh.  :P

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 06:10:57 pm »

What is the status with Sean McCurdy?

“It’s my understanding that he has gotten his release. I have not had a conversation with him yet. Most of the guys have been able to stop by and see me from time to time. I encourage them to do that, although I’ve been in and out, too. I’ve missed one or two guys, but Sean and I have not had a chance to talk yet.”

Has anyone else indicated that they want their release?

“No.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Dances a jig*

Who called it?  8)

*Dances another jig*

Teens aren't ALWAYS stupid. heh.  :P

Pelphrey indicated he hadn't talked to Sean and he hadn't seen him.  So I figure he is gone.

OzarkHighs

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 06:14:04 pm »

He also said that he hadn't talked to all the players and he isn't keeping Cyprien.

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 06:26:15 pm »

That's funny he said that about McCurdy since I could swear news footage last week of the guys practicing showed McCurdy dishing to Beverley for a jumper. Maybe it was stock footage from months ago.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 06:40:37 pm »

He also said that he hadn't talked to all the players and he isn't keeping Cyprien.

Think he wants new blood on his staff.  I can't say as I blame him.

Philip Seaton

• Global Moderator
  • Hogvillian
  • "Hazard Yet Forward"
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:51:22 pm »

That's funny he said that about McCurdy since I could swear news footage last week of the guys practicing showed McCurdy dishing to Beverley for a jumper. Maybe it was stock footage from months ago.

It was stock footage, I saw the same thing, but if you looked closely Heath was running the practice in the background.

RhodeHog

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 06:54:24 pm »

It was stock footage, I saw the same thing, but if you looked closely Heath was running the practice in the background.

Thanks for clearing that up because I thought the same thing.

Mark Lericos

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 07:00:13 pm »

It wasn't stock footage we showed. McCurdy was there last week practicing with the other players.

adamsp79

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 07:05:06 pm »

I think he should keep Cyprien on.

RhodeHog

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 07:05:50 pm »

It wasn't stock footage we showed. McCurdy was there last week practicing with the other players.

I saw the footage on 24/51.  I don't remember seeing Heath there, but that doesn't mean he wasn't because it was just a real short clip.

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 07:21:29 pm »

I thought I heard Mike Irwin say yesterday he was gone.

reggie06

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 07:26:09 pm »

Personally i thinkthe hiring of this clown is a joke!! A sunbelt conference coach is all they could get cause lets face it folks,nobody wants to come to arkansas and who could blame them. I do however hope he does wellcause bb is about the only sport i cheer for up there.I Still say should have fired frank and let new ad handle the search.Its a shame to sit there and lie to all of us and tell us he was on your list .What a crock of bs.Should have hired mike anderson if he would take the job.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 07:28:16 pm »

Right now im a Pelphrey fan but IMO he should have kept Cyp

ishankem

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 07:30:56 pm »

I think he should pick his own staff cause in the end, it's his butt on the line

TorsinAHog

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 07:31:38 pm »

Personally i thinkthe hiring of this clown is a joke!! A sunbelt conference coach is all they could get cause lets face it folks,nobody wants to come to arkansas and who could blame them. I do however hope he does wellcause bb is about the only sport i cheer for up there.I Still say should have fired frank and let new ad handle the search.Its a shame to sit there and lie to all of us and tell us he was on your list .What a crock of bs.Should have hired mike anderson if he would take the job.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

SLC

• tFlagship!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 07:36:53 pm »

I understand the sentiment, but I tend to prefer clean breaks. 

HawgAdvocate

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I got haters aplenty
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 07:36:59 pm »

blasphemy

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 07:47:15 pm »

So Mark, do you have any info on the HDN/D.B. connection?

Semper Hogelis

• Senior
  • I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 07:50:14 pm »

Hmmm. Zoloft, or Paxil?

ishankem

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 07:58:29 pm »

Hmmm. Zoloft, or Paxil?

how about shock therapy?

Ironhawg

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 08:23:48 pm »

Mike Anderson had no interest.

jbcarol

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 08:28:50 pm »

At least he's not "High School", ...  Reggie.

Ironhawg

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 08:30:17 pm »

Did you notice when he was talking about hiring two more assistants what he said he was looking for?  He wants guys who think like head coaches or have prior head coaching experience.  Who fits that description and has a past connection to Arkansas and Pelphrey?  I believe James Dickey, who was a Sutton assistant at Arkansas, was still an assistant at Kentucky when Pelphrey was a player.  He also has head coaching experience.

slopinhogs

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 08:39:56 pm »

i believe coach P said he was gone in the interview.

slopinhogs

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 08:41:45 pm »

oh by the way i like the guy . he is forthright with his answers and it has been a long time since that happened up there.

deucea729

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 09:28:49 pm »

Poor man's forrest city joe.   ;)

BTW, you couldn't be more wrong, reggie.

silvertip

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2007, 09:38:22 pm »

A bunch of great ideas, but he needs to learn to talk in paragraphs.  8)

pignatious

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2007, 09:45:02 pm »

You can really tell from the transcript that this guy lives and breathes the game. He knows what it takes to win, mental and physical toughness in last few minutes. "Fatigue makes cowards of us all" was a great quote by Nolan, and I think Pelphrey will see this does not happen with Arkansas. I think we will win a whole lot more than 7 games in 5 years on the road in the SEC.  ;) Can't wait for next season!

bsking

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 09:45:12 pm »

Thanks for the optimism.  Yeah we should have hired Phil Jackson, too.
Heres the thing you have to realize.  Everyone has to start somewhere:

Pitino:               Began 5 Years at Boston University:  1 NIT 1 NCAA Tourney-------Turned out OK
Mike Krzyzewski: Began 5 Years at University of S. Mass 1 NIT 0 NCAA Tourney-----Decent Turnout
John Pelphrey:    Began 5 Years at S. Bama University 1 NIT 1 NCAA Tourney-------Destiny?

Its basically fate that Pelphrey is going to amazing.

hoglady

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 09:47:47 pm »

Just because he coached at So. Alabama doesn't mean he's a clown - everyone has to start somewhere and it's usually at a smaller D1 school. If Pitino, Sutton, Donovan and the Florida AD have given him a thumbs up - I'm quite sure I don't know more than they do.

bd93

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 09:49:42 pm »

I think your post was a crock of BS. :puke:

AnthroHog

• Hogvillian
  • This is only the beginning.
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2007, 09:50:36 pm »

Well, hopefully Pelphrey and Ostrom's recruiting prowess is well deserved.  It stinks that Cyprien is being let go because I thought he was supposed to be the best recruiter on Heath's staff.  At least Cyprien is landing on his feet at Oklahoma State.

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2007, 10:59:21 pm »

I think Lombardi used that quote a lot. not sure where it originated......
You can really tell from the transcript that this guy lives and breathes the game. He knows what it takes to win, mental and physical toughness in last few minutes. "Fatigue makes cowards of us all" was a great quote by Nolan, and I think Pelphrey will see this does not happen with Arkansas. I think we will win a whole lot more than 7 games in 5 years on the road in the SEC.  ;) Can't wait for next season!

hogsmaster

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2007, 12:18:27 am »

oh by the way i like the guy . he is forthright with his answers and it has been a long time since that happened up there.

I always felt that Heath was always direct, even in discussing his job status when there were all those rumors prior to him being fired.

Pork Twain

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2007, 03:31:52 am »

Give it up already Nolan...

justonefan

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2007, 05:02:38 am »

I thought I read in an article (DG maybe) that Cyprien had some other offers on the table.  He indicated they needed to hurry up and find a coach because he wanted to stay for the guys as long as he could, but he had to make a decision pretty soon.  This was during the "Real Deal".  so, maybe he doesn't want to stay.

PowderedToastMan

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2007, 05:06:35 am »

I thought when they first hired him, he was going to be alright, now I am confident that this guy is going to be pretty good. 
I wish he would have kept Cyprien.  He has kept the team together the last few weeks, I think he deserves a shot to stay if he wants to.

JoePaul03

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2007, 11:40:53 am »

Pitino:               Began 5 Years at Boston University:  1 NIT 1 NCAA Tourney-------Turned out OK
Mike Krzyzewski: Began 5 Years at University of S. Mass 1 NIT 0 NCAA Tourney-----Decent Turnout
John Pelphrey:    Began 5 Years at S. Bama University 1 NIT 1 NCAA Tourney-------Destiny?

I don't think Coach K was ever at S. Mass was he? I think he was at Army before Duke...

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2007, 12:09:08 pm »

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/187286/

Another posting of basically the same thing

Go JP Go Hogs

SooiecidetillNuttgone

• Melyssa Forde. Simply One of the Greatest.
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2007, 12:16:11 pm »

I could be wrong, but I think Patton was the first to have said that.

lrhogfan24

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2007, 12:40:45 pm »

Mike Anderson?  You mean the guy whose team only one 18 games this past season?  A Big 12 school for sure but only one 2 games against major conference schools (Arkansas and Miss St.), with a conference losing record and only three wins away from home all year?  The year before that he only had 15 wins and a 5 and 12 conference record.  I know he coached with Nolan, this doesn't mean he is Nolan.  So why again should we have hired him?

CTHOG

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2007, 01:29:53 pm »

Lombari was the first to use “Fatigue makes cowards of us all.”

http://en.thinkexist.com/search/searchQuotation.asp?search=fatigue+makes+cowards+of+us+all

hogtusk

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2007, 01:56:51 pm »

I don't think Coach K was ever at S. Mass was he? I think he was at Army before Duke...
Coach K was at USMA (United States Military Academy) for 5 years before going to Duke. He did go to the NIT once while there.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

• Melyssa Forde. Simply One of the Greatest.
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2007, 03:05:34 pm »

http://en.thinkexist.com/search/searchQuotation.asp?search=fatigue+makes+cowards+of+us+all

Interesting.  I found this:

Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Men in condition do not tire.
At this website:
http://www.pattonhq.com/unknown/chap13.html
(Do a ctrl f using the word fatigue.  It'll be the second find.)

hogtusk

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2007, 04:26:30 pm »

Interesting.  I found this:

Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Men in condition do not tire.
At this website:
http://www.pattonhq.com/unknown/chap13.html
(Do a ctrl f using the word fatigue.  It'll be the second find.)
Looks like Lombardi was a plagiarist.:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas