• 10,106,702 Posts
• 403,929 Topics
• 23,065 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wonder if Jamar Moore is coming with Pelphrey  (Read 3743 times)

Niels Boar

Wonder if Jamar Moore is coming with Pelphrey
« on: April 10, 2007, 01:28:28 pm »

He's ranked as highly as Bush by Scout.com.  They describe him as a 6' 5'', athletic pure shooter that has ballhandling issues.  Sounds like some of those guys Memphis has had like Carney and Hunt.  We could use more arc shooting.  He might be a good backup next season at the #2 or #3 in Pelphrey's system.  Pelphrey also had a 3-star PG signed.

Razorod

Re: Wonder if Jamar Moore is coming with Pelphrey
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 01:36:05 pm »

wouldn't mind if he brought them with him. sounds like just the players we need.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

LordStanleysHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Know where you came from
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 01:39:40 pm »

I'd prefer he bring in better, if you don't mind... no knock against S.Bama but it's the sunbelt this is the SEC, he needs to bring in top level players.

Bomis Hawg

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Knile Davis Beast Mode
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 01:40:15 pm »

Bring him on.  3-star per Rivals.
2 schollies left to fill.

Razorod

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 01:42:35 pm »

I'd prefer he bring in better, if you don't mind... no knock against S.Bama but it's the sunbelt this is the SEC, he needs to bring in top level players.

I don't know how many better players are out there. BB recruiting hinges around the summer up until the early signing period in November. We're way past that now. 2008 commitments are already being made. These two recruits may be the best out there.

Bomis Hawg

• Knile Davis Beast Mode
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 01:45:02 pm »

Rakestraw and Bush were both 3-stars on Rivals.
Clemson, Georgia, FSU, SoCar.  I don't think they are Sun Belt. 
He did sign his LOI, though.

lookawayquick

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 01:45:48 pm »

How many total schollies will be available this year? I count three if McCurdy doesn't change his mind.  We've got one of those committed to Rakestraw, who are our other desired spring signees?  One last question, what's the status of Hunter and McGowan, staying or leaving?

Hawgtied

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 01:50:45 pm »

Tell Hunter that he can pack it up and move on down the road...that should be JP's move.

Niels Boar

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 01:51:47 pm »

That's not a reasonable request for next season.   Almost no "top level" players are unsigned.  Scout doesn't list a single four-star SG uncommitted.  Besides, Butler had a better backcourt than we had last season, and they don't play in the SEC. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 01:53:44 pm by Niels Boar »

Bomis Hawg

• Knile Davis Beast Mode
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 01:54:52 pm »

How many total schollies will be available this year? I count three if McCurdy doesn't change his mind.  We've got one of those committed to Rakestraw, who are our other desired spring signees?  One last question, what's the status of Hunter and McGowan, staying or leaving?

I thought we had 2 coming in.  Rakestraw signed.  Bush balked, going to prep.  McCurdy is gone.
2 for the following; 7 for the next?

wooo

• In memory of Mr Uekman
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 01:56:35 pm »

coach has offered me the schollie to play low post.

Can I play if I have already been to 4 years of college, but never played college basketball?

LordStanleysHog

• Know where you came from
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 02:03:15 pm »

That's not a reasonable request for next season.   Almost no "top level" players are unsigned.  Scout doesn't list a single four-star SG uncommitted.  Besides, Butler had a better backcourt than we had last season, and they don't play in the SEC. 

They don't play in the Sunbelt either, do not even compare Butler with the likes of N.Tex and Ark. St.  All I meant was that if those kids are good enough to play here bring 'em on but only JP would know that.  Just because they were good enough to play at s.Bama doesn't mean they should be given a shot here.  But I trust JP to bring in talent.

lookawayquick

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 02:19:30 pm »

Any hidden gems here in AR?  Any SEC caliber players that SH may have overlooked?

rightdp

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 02:33:01 pm »

I may be wrong but I think the signed LOI can be voided if the coach leaves.....

bd93

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 02:48:48 pm »

I hope he turns out to be a great recruiter.

Razorod

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 02:49:09 pm »

I may be wrong but I think the signed LOI can be voided if the coach leaves.....
The player can be released if the school agrees to do so and the NCAA has the authority to determine whether the player will have to sit out a year or not. However, John Pelphrey will not be bringing any of his South Alabama signees with him as that breaks the unwritten rule of coaching ethics. If coaches took new jobs and were allowed to take their signees with them it would also make it that much harder on him when he wanted to move on the next time.

Coaching ethics?  Bringing a kid with him.

You gotta be kidding me.  We're not talking about cheating on your taxes. 

I'd put it this way--the player has to initiate the transfer and really, really push for it. The coach, is not likely to push for it.

HUNGLOWHOG

• Senior
  • "JUST WANNA PIECE OF THA GLORY"
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 03:07:45 pm »

remember andre igudola , nolan left he went to arizona the rest is history

badbeagle

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 03:09:21 pm »

I would hate to think that we are panting for USA's star recruit...  Come on guys, this is a new day for Arkansas basketball.

IHateVitale

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 03:11:52 pm »

just imagine if the guy can bring 3 star recruits to USA...what can he bring to Arkansas

sasnakrafan

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 03:30:22 pm »

any chance on getting james anderson? i know he's sold to osu, but do you think pelphrey would take the stance that hey we're gonna play up and down basketball- no more big ten ball and you have the potential to be a statewide hero.

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Giant Bobby Portis is tired of your crap.
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 06:58:52 pm »

Maybe we could buy a couple of those Ladders from David Lee. I hear they're tearing up Casey Dick right now.

hogsmaster

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 07:00:20 pm »

How about Jai Lucas, John Lucas' son, from Houston.  Don't think he has signed, but it may be too late to get in the picture.

jry04

• Hogville.net
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 07:06:58 pm »

Beverley was a 3 star too. Mostly because he didn't play in the AAU circuit though.

bd93

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 07:07:44 pm »

We need point guards.

Fixed it for ya.

We already have Bev and Weems at the 2 and 3 spots.

hview

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 07:21:57 pm »

Agreed, we need guards in the worse way and a good point guard is a must!

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 09:08:23 pm »

Are you sure Anderson is locked in because if Sutton would have got the job he would have come with him.

wcate1

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 09:24:47 pm »

Jai Lucas is the top unsigned point guard left with no commit, but doesn't have Ark anywhere on his list right now :razorback:

steelers-hawgs 1 love

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 09:36:37 pm »

watched Jai in the roundball classic this past week he is a true point guard

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 10:25:06 pm »

didnt his brother play at okie state under Eddie?

dotnet

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 11:43:51 pm »

I wouldn't mind recruiting a big man this year.  After this year the only two big men we have on campus are Washington and McGowan.  If the past two years are any indication, we basically only have one.  It would be nice to have more than one player with experience down low next year.

Bomis Hawg

• Knile Davis Beast Mode
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 05:26:51 am »

Seemed to doom the end of the Nolan era -- too many in-between guards and two guards.
Ironic thats the story of the final years under Heath.  Too many off guards and no point.

HogNuttz

• Nutt pictured here holding all of his SEC trophies
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 08:31:29 am »

You are wrong, Bush = 4 star

Look here.

lookawayquick

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 08:41:35 am »

Why hasn't Jai Lucas committed to a school?  Are top twenty programs recruiting him?  Did SH recruit him?

Hammerhead Hog

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 08:43:16 am »

Not everything that happens or doesn't happen is a matter of ethics.  Good grief.  I would place this under the category of a common courtesy.  It's not dirty for a kid to back out and sign with a coach.  How many kids do you think in reality sign with the coach and not the university?  Probably a lot more than we think. 
[/quote]

See my above post. If it is common, easy and ethical for recruits that have signed LOI's to get releases to follow their coaches to new schools, then by all means provide us with a list of names of players, the schools they got releases from, and where they followed their coach to.
[/quote]

Why don't you provide a list of examples of when the NCAA told a recruit they couldn't follow their coach to a new school. You have provided nothing to back up your argument either.

TRUHOG718

• Hmmm. What would Nolan Do?
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 08:52:51 am »

Any hidden gems here in AR?  Any SEC caliber players that SH may have overlooked?

1-Jamar Moore-JP's top recruit
2-Tehran Cox Best senior PG in Arkansas.
3-Nate Rakestraw-signed

To answer your question. I hope this is who we get. Tehran Cox said on TV interview he hasnt signed with anyone because he is waiting to see if Arkansas offers and his coach believes we will offer. Thats the kind of kids we need on the Hill. He will give his all 40 minutes every game, he's from Arkansas, and most of all HE WANTS TO BE A RAZORBACK! He is a high flying athletic PG who excels in the open floor, and likes to set his teamates up . Cox plays with James Anderson on the AAU curcuit. When I tell you who he reminds me of this should seal the deal for most fans who never seen him play. All I can Say is this kid is a Brandon Dean clone. Picture him running the fast break next year. I'm going to say trust me on this one IMO. I hope we get him. But if we dont someone will be happy they got him. Check him out on youtube.
TRUHOG OUT!

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 10:34:37 am »

Not sure about Tobias, but Mukubu was pretty much left off the team here and was given his walking papers.  I dont think that his transfer was entirely because he wanted to follow mike anderson...

The player can be released if the school agrees to do so and the NCAA has the authority to determine whether the player will have to sit out a year or not. However, John Pelphrey will not be bringing any of his South Alabama signees with him as that breaks the unwritten rule of coaching ethics. If coaches took new jobs and were allowed to take their signees with them it would also make it that much harder on him when he wanted to move on the next time.

Yes, coaching ethics. If a school hires a new coach and that new coach is allowed to bring his just released signees with him, then the school that he just hired on to knows that the coach will do that same to them if he ever leaves. Name some other major schools where coaches have left one school and taken their signees with them. If it was an o.k thing to do you should be able to name several instances because there have been several coaching moves.

Not everything that happens or doesn't happen is a matter of ethics.  Good grief.  I would place this under the category of a common courtesy.  It's not dirty for a kid to back out and sign with a coach.  How many kids do you think in reality sign with the coach and not the university?  Probably a lot more than we think. 

See my above post. If it is common, easy and ethical for recruits that have signed LOI's to get releases to follow their coaches to new schools, then by all means provide us with a list of names of players, the schools they got releases from, and where they followed their coach to.

I said nothing about the practice of players transferring being common or easy!  I said it was a common courtesty not to follow the coach to a school.  I do believe this situation occurs more with guys who are already at a school.  I just said it wasn't unethical.  Just because something is ethical, doesn't mean many people follow that route.  It's ethical for me to invest $25,000 in a single stock, but name me five twenty-three years old who have done such without a handout from daddy not even a year removed from school. 

I do have one question for ya.  I believe you were talking earlier about the damage to a school because of a player leaving.  Isn't the damage the same whether the player follows the coach or goes somewhere else?  In both instances, the problem for the institution lies with the player signing with the coach and not the school.

Both Mukubu and Brandon Tobias followed Anderson to UAB.  I don't think anyone accused Mike of being unethical because two recruits went with him. 

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 10:37:33 am »

Didnt Cox just sign with Westark or whatever it is now.. UA-Fort Smith. He has only played basketball a short time, albeit played it very well.  Might be good for him to get some seasoning and more experience there, he might not play much if he came here directly. 

3-Nate Rakestraw-signed

To answer your question. I hope this is who we get. Tehran Cox said on TV interview he hasnt signed with anyone because he is waiting to see if Arkansas offers and his coach believes we will offer. Thats the kind of kids we need on the Hill. He will give his all 40 minutes every game, he's from Arkansas, and most of all HE WANTS TO BE A RAZORBACK! He is a high flying athletic PG who excels in the open floor, and likes to set his teamates up . Cox plays with James Anderson on the AAU curcuit. When I tell you who he reminds me of this should seal the deal for most fans who never seen him play. All I can Say is this kid is a Brandon Dean clone. Picture him running the fast break next year. I'm going to say trust me on this one IMO. I hope we get him. But if we dont someone will be happy they got him. Check him out on youtube.
TRUHOG OUT!
[/quote]

cardinalhawg

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 11:17:53 am »

Yes, coaching ethics. If a school hires a new coach and that new coach is allowed to bring his just released signees with him, then the school that he just hired on to knows that the coach will do that same to them if he ever leaves. Name some other major schools where coaches have left one school and taken their signees with them. If it was an o.k thing to do you should be able to name several instances because there have been several coaching moves.

Tobias was the first one that I thought of in regards to this.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:20:04 am by cardinalhawg »

TRUHOG718

• Hmmm. What would Nolan Do?
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2007, 11:48:54 am »

3-Nate Rakestraw-signed

TRUHOG OUT!
Didnt Cox just sign with Westark or whatever it is now.. UA-Fort Smith. He has only played basketball a short time, albeit played it very well.  Might be good for him to get some seasoning and more experience there, he might not play much if he came here directly. 

Oh I just heard on the sports hog he signed with another Ark school. Oh well it would have been nice to see him running the break at the Bud. GOOD LUCK TEHRAN! WPS

Niels Boar

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2007, 01:10:27 pm »

They don't play in the Sunbelt either, do not even compare Butler with the likes of N.Tex and Ark. St.  All I meant was that if those kids are good enough to play here bring 'em on but only JP would know that.  Just because they were good enough to play at s.Bama doesn't mean they should be given a shot here.  But I trust JP to bring in talent.

If you watched the first round of the NCAAT, you would have noticed plenty of backcourt players from mid-majors like Texas A&M CC that could have helped us.  Heck, any three-point specialist would have been nice to have off the bench.  Only one other team from the Horizon besides Butler was in the top RPI top 100.  Butler was merely the most obvious example.  Your original post was a blanket rejection of S. Alabama recruits despite the fact that Moore is rated as highly as Bush.  If you are going to backtrack that quickly, be sure to beep.

Niels Boar

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2007, 01:12:55 pm »

Didn't one of Anderson's UAB signees go to Missouri? A reserve guard?

wwwhogfan

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2007, 01:14:53 pm »

We have plenty of talent for next year.  I say save the drama and let his recruits stay at SBama

hawgsav1

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2007, 01:25:34 am »

Seemed to doom the end of the Nolan era -- too many in-between guards and two guards.
Ironic thats the story of the final years under Heath.  Too many off guards and no point.

I kinda disagree.  That last year of his he had plenty of scoring with Pargo, Cleveland, Gipson, and Dean, but what killed us was our lack of inside play.  I remember one stat that shocked me. We were giving up 45% offensive rebounds to the other team.  Our offensive production wasn't the issue back then.  Defensive rebound was.

hogninja

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2007, 02:13:16 am »

Doesn't a Letter of Intent mean that you "intend" to sign with a certain school, but IF the Head Coach leaves, shouldn't you have an option to change your mind?  How binding is a LOI.? :razorback:

Bomis Hawg

• Knile Davis Beast Mode
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2007, 08:19:27 am »

I kinda disagree.  That last year of his he had plenty of scoring with Pargo, Cleveland, Gipson, and Dean, but what killed us was our lack of inside play.  I remember one stat that shocked me. We were giving up 45% offensive rebounds to the other team.  Our offensive production wasn't the issue back then.  Defensive rebound was.

I agree.  That's sort of the point I was getting at.  The unbalanced roster hurt.  Both had way too many off guards and not enough of what they really needed.

jhudson84

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2007, 09:10:56 am »

Didn't one of Anderson's UAB signees go to Missouri? A reserve guard?
[/quote]

His Son?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas