• 9,878,289 Posts
• 398,099 Topics
• 22,795 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 ... 401   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 939270 times)

The Boar War

Re: First Trip to Little Rock this saturday
« Reply #5350 on: September 09, 2010, 01:11:40 pm »

http://littlerock.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Little+Rock&s1=AR&c2=fayetteville&s2=AR

i rest my case

Are there more violent crimes in Little Rock?  Yes.  Will you be anonymously shot in areas full of nice restaurants and shops.  Of course not.

By the way using your bar graph and view of Little Rock they must be raping people up in Fayetteville on a daily basis.  Of course since I went to school there I know that's not the case. 

Hawgndaaz

« Reply #5351 on: September 09, 2010, 01:12:11 pm »

Yeah you caught me, I am lying about higher murder rates in Little Rock.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Tai_Mai_Shu

• Senior
  • Gina Carano - these hands aren't made for texting
« Reply #5352 on: September 09, 2010, 01:15:44 pm »

Whole Hog BBQ in the Rebsaman area or you can try the other location in west Little Rock by Blockbuster and Hobby Lobby.

sickboy

« Reply #5353 on: September 09, 2010, 01:19:09 pm »

Don't you live in LA Sickboy?

Yeah, i do. Are you in LA?

Man_O_Pork

« Reply #5354 on: September 09, 2010, 01:22:16 pm »

You're still missing the point.  Saying, "Because Little Rock has a higher murder rate, you're more likely to be murdered there" is a logical fallacy.  It fails to take into account the nature of the crime.

Anyway, you're probably just looking for an argument, so I'll stop with this.  Just know that with common sense and self-awareness (which should be used anywhere, even in towns like Fayetteville) you can leave your bullet-proof vests at home and enjoy your time in Little Rock without fearing for your life.

redeye

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs Go!!!
« Reply #5355 on: September 09, 2010, 01:26:03 pm »

Layla's for Gyros on Rodney Parham.
Faded Rose is one of my favorite's on Rebsamen - great muffaleta's / decent gumbo and the best soaked salad I've ever had - you can get steaks, po boy's, fish dinners.
Oyster Bar on Markham (stiff station area) - good po boy sandwiches (my daughter loves the mahi mahi poboy) / boiled shrimp / raw oysters / red beans and rice.
Fu Lin's for Chinese on Bowman.
Bruno's for Italian on Bowman.

Well there's my list of favorites.

Great list! The only one I disagree with is Bruno's, which I think is highly over-rated.

redeye

• Go Hogs Go!!!
« Reply #5356 on: September 09, 2010, 01:27:15 pm »

Sorry you have to travel to LR for a hog game. My two favorite razorback football stadiums are RRS and Razorback Stadium West.  Waste Management stadium is a distant third.

You ought to be sorry for your lack of manners.

Doc

« Reply #5357 on: September 09, 2010, 01:30:49 pm »

I agree.  I much prefer Laylas' gyros.  They have great hummus, too.

Agreed.  Laylas are the best gyros I've ever had.  Hands down.

TheGunther

« Reply #5358 on: September 09, 2010, 01:30:58 pm »

Dude you can't use those stats. Of course fayetteville is not going to have any murders per 100,000 people... they don't even have 100,000 people in the town.  Get out of here with this junk man. 

redeye

• Go Hogs Go!!!
« Reply #5359 on: September 09, 2010, 01:37:41 pm »

http://littlerock.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Little+Rock&s1=AR&c2=fayetteville&s2=AR

i rest my case

How many large cities have less crime than the average college town? If college towns were dangerous, no one would send their children there. In other words, your point is meaningless.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #5360 on: September 09, 2010, 01:39:00 pm »

i rest my case

You can look at that graph and say, why yes, Little Rock has a higher murder rate than Fayetteville, of course that graph does not show where those murders take place, they are not taking place where we are discussing going to eat at, or at War Memorial Stadium.  Then you could look at that graph and say, dang, everyone must be getting raped everyday in Fayetteville to have a statistic that high for such a small town, but we all know that's not the case, you haven't been one of the unfortunate ones to be raped have you?  If so, my condolences.  Maybe that's why you bring up this graph and are so afraid to come to Little Rock, come on down, you will be surrounded by fellow Hog Fans,,,,

Rocktownhog

« Reply #5361 on: September 09, 2010, 01:42:20 pm »

I'm going to have to respectfully, but heartily disagree with you on Tazikis...

I have never enjoyed a gyro less.

no harm, no foul. I am more for their pork sandwich there.

little pigee

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I'll get back to you on that...
« Reply #5362 on: September 09, 2010, 01:42:59 pm »

i rest my case
Your case is stale.  2006 numbers don't reflect our becoming a kinder and gentler ghetto here in Little Rock.  Additionally, I believe Fayetteville trumped us in 2 x 4 attacks.  So back off, or meet me at the Alma Sonic at noon Saturday.

hostilehog

« Reply #5363 on: September 09, 2010, 01:43:18 pm »

I'm going to have to respectfully, but heartily disagree with you on Tazikis...

I have never enjoyed a gyro less.

THIS - Tazikis is all about the appearance of the food. Absolutely no taste whatsoever.

Laylas = best gyro, Leos on Kavanaugh = a distant 2nd (used to be good, but has gone downhill)

For a great twist, try the Gyros Calzone at Layals ... and order the baba ganoush to dip it in

hawgsmellgud

• Hog Heaven!!
« Reply #5364 on: September 09, 2010, 01:48:27 pm »

I like Alley Opps they have great burgers, Bowman @ Kanis.

Long gone, however Momma B's is there now and it is still great.
You guys are crazy not to have mentioned Sim's BBQ on John Barrow.  Only place in the world where you can sit down with a pork rib sandwich (bones and all, haha) and a 40oz malt liquor.

Seriously, though...  That place is ACE.  And I don't know if Say's Place is still around (Say MacIntosh), but if it is, it really doesn't get much better than that in terms of soul food.

If you're in the mood for some mexican food, I would check out Canon Grill on Kavanaugh.  That place is legit.

Sim's Is great but go to the one at the corner of Roosevelt and Broadway, it is head and shoulders better than the one on Barrow. Matter of fact I am about to head over the now for a plate of Pork Ribs double greens and corn bread.

Wild Bill Hog

« Reply #5365 on: September 09, 2010, 01:48:51 pm »

make sure to wear a bullet proof vest under your Stoerner jersey and camo jacket combo.

Yes, you should wear jorts with your camo jacket.

Why?  The game's not in Chickendale or on School Street in F'ville.

nole10591

• Varsity
  • National Champions !!
« Reply #5366 on: September 09, 2010, 01:51:33 pm »

Agreed.  Laylas are the best gyros I've ever had.  Hands down.
Where is it located ? I saw off RP but whats close to it ?

little pigee

• I'll get back to you on that...
« Reply #5367 on: September 09, 2010, 01:51:57 pm »

Alley Oops is alive and well at Kanis & Bowman.

Wild Bill Hog

« Reply #5368 on: September 09, 2010, 01:55:32 pm »

So let me guess. If i ever decide to go F'ville I should put my bubba teeth in and make sure I bring my banjo, and for tailgating I shouldn't bring beer?

Yes, and pack all your posessions in a Walmart bag.  The white plastic ones seemed real popular "up thar' in thuh hillz" last weekend.

Wild Bill Hog

« Reply #5369 on: September 09, 2010, 02:00:03 pm »

I think you should visit the hood and get you some soul food.

And then the next time you're in NWA visit the barrio and get some dog meat tamales.

b0sc0b

« Reply #5370 on: September 09, 2010, 02:09:21 pm »

For a sublime cultural experience, so to Sim's Bar b Que, Riverfront Steak House in NLR or Sonny Williams in the River Market.  After the game lots of good music at the clubs.  The weekend calendar at arkansasonline.com should help. 
Amen to Sim's.  Great Barbecue.  Go in groups.  WPS

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #5371 on: September 09, 2010, 02:10:46 pm »

All great suggestions above.  I'll also throw out a few of my favorites if you're interested in some ethnic foods:

Star of India on Rodney Parham in WLR (Great, affordable buffet for lunches - and open 7 days a week. It's a casual joint);

Cafe Bossa Nova on Kavanaugh in Hillcrest (Really good Brazilian food. A friend of mine from Brazil says it's pretty authentic, though it has a trendier atmosphere so be prepared for that); and,

Hanaroo Sushi on Capitol downtown (Good unique rolls that are really fresh. It's casual).

just had lunch at Star... I'm addicted.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #5372 on: September 09, 2010, 02:24:00 pm »

I agree.  I much prefer Laylas' gyros.  They have great hummus, too.

Their tabuleha is steak sauce as well.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #5373 on: September 09, 2010, 02:26:14 pm »

Ok. We get it... You are afraid. Go run and hide now while the grown folks talk.

Jamie Jones

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5374 on: September 09, 2010, 02:28:27 pm »

I think you should visit the hood and get you some soul food.
Little Rock IS the hood!

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #5375 on: September 09, 2010, 02:28:38 pm »

Yeah, i do. Are you in LA?

Nah, I used to have family there and was just thinking there seemed to be lots of great food. A lot of good mexican and Burgers at least. I'd committ acts that wouild frighten Hawgndaaz away forever for a double double from In n out. (Tommy's world famous chilli cheese burger is good too)

Hawgndaaz

« Reply #5376 on: September 09, 2010, 02:31:26 pm »

You can look at that graph and say, why yes, Little Rock has a higher murder rate than Fayetteville, of course that graph does not show where those murders take place, they are not taking place where we are discussing going to eat at, or at War Memorial Stadium.  Then you could look at that graph and say, dang, everyone must be getting raped everyday in Fayetteville to have a statistic that high for such a small town, but we all know that's not the case, you haven't been one of the unfortunate ones to be raped have you?  If so, my condolences.  Maybe that's why you bring up this graph and are so afraid to come to Little Rock, come on down, you will be surrounded by fellow Hog Fans,,,,

I like my chances against someone trying to rape me. Heck, i'd almost feel flattered.

It doesn't matter which is a college town and which is the state's largest city. The facts are, you're more likely to get capped in LR than Fayetteville.

Ok. We get it... You are afraid. Go run and hide now while the grown folks talk.

no, not afraid. just warning the first time visitor. I thought it was a nice thing to do personally.

The Boar War

« Reply #5377 on: September 09, 2010, 02:37:25 pm »

I predict that no hog fans will be murdered if they are simply visiting LR this weekend.

Hawgndaaz

« Reply #5378 on: September 09, 2010, 02:40:44 pm »

I predict that no hog fans will be murdered if they are simply visiting LR this weekend.

you're catching on.

MJ2

« Reply #5379 on: September 09, 2010, 02:42:42 pm »

Any inportant info I should know before heading out to the stadium?  Any good places to eat in LIttle Rock that I should check out?

Thanks

Where do you live?  How can this be your first trip to LR?

Hillbilly Hawg

« Reply #5380 on: September 09, 2010, 03:07:37 pm »

I too am going to my first Hogs game in the Rock and I am stoked to experience the gameday atmosphere!  My group is going to both the ULM and LSU games this year and we are planning on tailgating the LSU game but won't be able to tailgate this Saturday.

Therefore, can anyone recommend a great sports bar where me and the old man can go and watch the games that will be on Saturday morning?  I checked out the website for Vino's and l am a beer connoisseur so that place really intrigues me. Do they have tv's set up to watch all the games or is there someplace else I need to check out.  Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

GO HOGS!!!

hostilehog

« Reply #5381 on: September 09, 2010, 03:12:32 pm »

Where is it located ? I saw off RP but whats close to it ?

Laylas is on RP close to the new Starbucks that they built. Other things in the general vicinity are the Chinese Buffet (used to be a Western Sizzlin), US Pizza, Sonic, etc. Laylas is in a strip mall across the street from US Pizza that is anchored by a big Tobacco store

Shorty Hog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5382 on: September 09, 2010, 03:12:47 pm »

Vino's might have one TV...maybe.  Not a sports type place, but great beer and calzones.  I'm not a chain restaurant person, but those type of places tend to have the most TV's.  WestEnd opens at 11AM, and there's Buffalo Wild Wings in (far) WLR, which has a bazillion TVs.  There's also Big Whiskey's down in the River Market.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I heard on the radio today that The Butcher Shop will give you a discount if you come in with your Hog gear on this weekend.  I think they said 15%.  Would be a good place after the game for a steak to celebrate a Hogs win!!  :razorback:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:20:20 pm by Shorty Hog »

Hillbilly Hawg

« Reply #5383 on: September 09, 2010, 03:19:42 pm »

Thanks for the locations and that is a shame about Vino's, may have to go and check it out on Friday night or something.

I'm not a fan of the chain places either so I was hoping for a locally owned, pub type joint.  I have eaten at Gusano's before on a trip to the horse races and I remember they had several tv's as best I can remember.  I am a little disheartened that I have not seen their name mentioned on the board thus far for pizza. Have they gone down hill? I am a sucker for good Chicago Style Pizza...

Shorty Hog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5384 on: September 09, 2010, 03:23:37 pm »

Thanks for the locations and that is a shame about Vino's, may have to go and check it out on Friday night or something.

I'm not a fan of the chain places either so I was hoping for a locally owned, pub type joint.  I have eaten at Gusano's before on a trip to the horse races and I remember they had several tv's as best I can remember.  I am a little disheartened that I have not seen their name mentioned on the board thus far for pizza. Have they gone down hill? I am a sucker for good Chicago Style Pizza...

Have you been to Chicago and eaten real Chicago style pizza?  Gusano's ain't it (IMO).  Dam Goode Pies is passable...but yes, Gusano's has TVs...

Wild Bill Hog

« Reply #5385 on: September 09, 2010, 03:24:48 pm »

Little Rock IS the hood!

You sleep with a night light on, don't you?

Hillbilly Hawg

« Reply #5386 on: September 09, 2010, 03:31:05 pm »

Have you been to Chicago and eaten real Chicago style pizza?  Gusano's ain't it (IMO).  Dam Goode Pies is passable...but yes, Gusano's has TVs...

No I haven't.  I have a close friend that did some understudy up there for about 3 months and he turned me on to it.  He said Lou Malnotti's is the best he has ever had.  We are talking about ordering some from there and having them shipped to us for the Georgia game.  Have you ever done anything like that? 

There is a little hole in the wall in Branson, MO which is real close to where we live here in Northern Arkansas called Mr. G's and he says it is very comparable to Lou Malnotti's.  I LOVE their pies.  However, he said the same thing about Gusano's as he ate at the one in Joplin, MO not long ago and he said he didn't know if it was just an off night or if his time in Chicago had spoiled him forever.  Now I am nervous about going to Gusano's..... ??? ???

Shorty Hog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5387 on: September 09, 2010, 03:42:01 pm »

I've wanted to get a pizza by mail, but just haven't done it.  Was just in Chicago a couple of weeks ago for a wedding, so got my fix then.  Thanks for the tip on Lou's...I'll have to try that next time.  I usually get Giordano's.

Gusano's has regular crust pizza too, so you don't have to get Chicago style.  I think people probably go there more for the beer/pool/tv hangout than for quality food.  It's not bad, but if you're used to good Chicago style pizza, it's a disappointment.

Jamie Jones

« Reply #5388 on: September 09, 2010, 03:45:46 pm »

You sleep with a night light on, don't you?
LOL!! No. The light makes it easier for the boogie man to see you. I can't talk about LR too much, I live in the "other" hood....Shreveport!

hogpowr

• Senior
  • AAA is towing our program from the ditch!
« Reply #5389 on: September 09, 2010, 04:39:23 pm »

:razorback:

Arkansas Razorback fans that bash Arkansas' Capitol City,......geesh... ???

Ally Opps moved down the street to Kanis and Bowman. ;D

hoglady

« Reply #5390 on: September 09, 2010, 04:54:00 pm »

I've lived in Little Rock now for six years and I keep hearing Fu-Lins is awesome. I need to check it out.

If you like Chinese - it's excellent.
I've probably eaten at every Chinese place in town and I can't think of any better.

hoglady

« Reply #5391 on: September 09, 2010, 04:57:25 pm »

LOL!! No. The light makes it easier for the boogie man to see you. I can't talk about LR too much, I live in the "other" hood....Shreveport!
Hey - grew up in Bossier back before LA downs, the casinos and the Bossier Boardwalk.
We did have the Bossier strip and Shreve Square.
Bossier was a great town to grow up in.

Jamie Jones

« Reply #5392 on: September 09, 2010, 05:14:58 pm »

Hey - grew up in Bossier back before LA downs, the casinos and the Bossier Boardwalk.
We did have the Bossier strip and Shreve Square.
Bossier was a great town to grow up in.
Not nearly as much shooting on the Bossier side of the river. As I said, S-port is not lagging very far behind LR.

We usually park at Park Plaza, take in some early Christmas shopping, eat at one of the restraunts in the mall, then enjoy the sites and sounds of the tailgating on the course while walking to the stadium.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:17:55 pm by jhawg2009 »

RazorbackRon

• Win, Lose or Tie ........ I'm a Hog fan till I die
« Reply #5393 on: September 09, 2010, 05:15:29 pm »

Bruno's in Little Rock is a fav and Mr G's pizza in Branson is some of the best I ever had.  No reason to go to Gusano's unless you just want to watch TV.

clank

« Reply #5394 on: September 09, 2010, 07:41:35 pm »

As someone who is both an alumni of the U of A and currently living in Little Rock, I thought I'd break it down for you, since many of you don't seem to understand that every town has its areas you probably don't want to be in.  There are projects in Fayetteville 2 blocks from the intramurals fields, for crying out loud.

nashvilletnhogfan

« Reply #5395 on: September 09, 2010, 08:05:19 pm »

Any suggestions for brunch downtown Sunday morning?

clank

« Reply #5396 on: September 09, 2010, 08:18:44 pm »

Any suggestions for brunch downtown Sunday morning?

Capital hotel has a great brunch

UAbandalum

« Reply #5397 on: September 09, 2010, 08:27:32 pm »

As someone who is both an alumni of the U of A and currently living in Little Rock, I thought I'd break it down for you, since many of you don't seem to understand that every town has its areas you probably don't want to be in.  There are projects in Fayetteville 2 blocks from the intramurals fields, for crying out loud.

As someone who is both a U of A alummi and a LR native (now living in NWA), I will have to agree w/ clank.  For those of you that don't like LR games, I can assure you it could be far worse - we could have the LR games at Quigley Stadium on the Central High campus.  That really IS a part of town where you probably should be packing and wearing Kevlar.  WMS/Fair Park area is far from unsafe on gameday - anyone who tells you any differently is coaching for Ole Miss . . . . . 

hawgsmellgud

• Hog Heaven!!
« Reply #5398 on: September 09, 2010, 08:33:32 pm »

Alley Oops is alive and well at Kanis & Bowman.

AHHHH yes I stand corrected, I haven't been to alley oops since it was at Kanis and SHACKLEFORD. Sorry for the confusion.

sickboy

« Reply #5399 on: September 09, 2010, 09:27:48 pm »

Nah, I used to have family there and was just thinking there seemed to be lots of great food. A lot of good mexican and Burgers at least. I'd committ acts that wouild frighten Hawgndaaz away forever for a double double from In n out. (Tommy's world famous chilli cheese burger is good too)

I just had Tommy's for the first time the other day. Good burger. To me, when it comes to fast food burgers...then there's nothing in the world that beats a double double from In n Out. I hear 5 Guys is really good but I haven't had theirs yet. 

If you're ever in LA again and want an amazing burger try Stout in Hollywood or Father's Office over on the westside. Umami Burgers are good too.

There really is too much good food in LA. It's one of my favorite things here. But the BBQ doesn't compare. I miss the BBQ in the south!
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 ... 401   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas