• 393,875 Topics
• 22,229 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 ... 371   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 774168 times)

H O G S

• Senior
Re: Where da BBQ?
« Reply #5250 on: September 14, 2010, 04:36:40 pm »

With Shadden's closing and Craigs seemingly going down hill, the choices are getting slimmer. Is the place at Poplar Grove still open? They are all chasin Cypress Corner imo as far as sandwiches go.

I dont know who told you Craig's was going downhill but they were wrong brutha.  Had it 2 weeks ago, tasted just like the first time.

H O G S

• Senior
« Reply #5251 on: September 14, 2010, 04:45:52 pm »

Is that Razorback Pizza the same one that was on the walk to campus from Baum Stadium?  If so we loved that place and would love to know if it just moved.

That was Hawgtown.  It quickly became one of our favorites after it opened.  They changed their crust, it sucked and we never went back. The last time we went in We asked the mngr why they changed the crust and he said they didnt and treated us like idiots, even though the waitress had already told us they had started getting cheaper dough and were getting alot of complaints.  Needless to say, that place was out of business soon thereafter.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hog Fan...DOH!

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #5252 on: September 14, 2010, 04:51:13 pm »

I cannot believe there are 3-4 people out there that can say with a straight face that Jim's Razorback Pizza is the best in town.  You must be Jim or his mother.  I will admit that if you can get to Jim's and eat it at the restaurant within 3 minutes of it coming out of the oven... then it's not too bad.  Otherwise...  as Petrino would say... "AYSM?! You gotta be SM!!"

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #5253 on: September 14, 2010, 05:32:03 pm »

Ha!

Double HA! 

I like what I like...  Heck, some people like Dickey's...

I have eaten at pretty much every so-called good bbq joint in NE Arkansas and Memphis and I'd take Whole Hog over just about every one of them...

And I'll stack my BBQ up against anyones on here...  :)
I live very close to Memphis and eat there all the time. If Whole Hog is so good then how come when they put one there it closed down real fast? It's called competition. The one in Jonesboro had to be bought out as well and even though it reopened under new owners it 's not even the best one there. Taste for food is subjective not objective. Another poster was correct when they posted if they were coming from Alabama then they might be disappointed in the BBQ in NWA. Triple HA to you.

Hog in MO

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5254 on: September 14, 2010, 06:04:30 pm »

;D ;D

There are only three kinds of BBQ...Shoulders, Butts and Ribs and they are ALL pork smoked low and slow over hickory.

Had a guy ask me about barbecuing some burgers...some people... :(

He was probably a yankee - to them, anything cooked outside is barbecued. 

Shag66

« Reply #5255 on: September 14, 2010, 06:34:58 pm »

YES , it's good.

ohh...  I like Pop's, they have great chicken friend steaks and chicken fried porkloin and they have some of the best brown beans I have EVER eaten, but i am NOT a fan of the BBQ...  The ribs were just pitiful.  The pork was not up to snuff either.

Pop's is great, just not for BBQ..

Shag66

« Reply #5256 on: September 14, 2010, 06:38:22 pm »

That was Hawgtown.  It quickly became one of our favorites after it opened.  They changed their crust, it sucked and we never went back. The last time we went in We asked the mngr why they changed the crust and he said they didnt and treated us like idiots, even though the waitress had already told us they had started getting cheaper dough and were getting alot of complaints.  Needless to say, that place was out of business soon thereafter.

Mojo's Pints and Pies is in that location now...  good pizza...  cute waitress...  LONG wait on the pizza...  good stuff though...

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
Re: Athens roll call
« Reply #5257 on: September 14, 2010, 06:39:56 pm »

This thread needs to stay on front page of MMQB until we bring it home Saturday.

kingoftherapids

« Reply #5258 on: September 14, 2010, 06:47:38 pm »

i wonder how many arkansas tickets were sold? anybody know? btw is anyone on hogville close to anyone in ticket office. i always have questions about when they will release visitor tickets that didnt sell

EternalSunshine

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #5259 on: September 14, 2010, 06:53:17 pm »

arkrzrbacks

• Hogvillian
  • Here we go Again
« Reply #5260 on: September 14, 2010, 07:38:02 pm »

Can anyone give a heads up on parking??

SultanofSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • WoooPigSoooie!!!
« Reply #5261 on: September 14, 2010, 08:16:27 pm »

I dont know who told you Craig's was going downhill but they were wrong brutha.  Had it 2 weeks ago, tasted just like the first time.

No one told me that, it was my opinion from my last visit. Got several pieces of grisel in my sammich. Maybe just an anomoly. It sure wont stop me from eatin there again.

smw62485

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5262 on: September 14, 2010, 08:20:54 pm »

Yeah, it is so good, the last time I ate at the Kavanaugh location in LR, I asked the guy what would it take to get a location in Birmingham.  He replied "$300,000 and we are there."  Have seriously considered trying to make it happen...Nothing like it in Alabama.

it'd be worth 300 grand just to get the recipe for the house dressing.

H O G S

• Senior
« Reply #5263 on: September 14, 2010, 08:37:39 pm »

Mojo's Pints and Pies is in that location now...  good pizza...  cute waitress...  LONG wait on the pizza...  good stuff though...

Good to know, Thanks.

H O G S

• Senior
« Reply #5264 on: September 14, 2010, 08:40:20 pm »

No one told me that, it was my opinion from my last visit. Got several pieces of grisel in my sammich. Maybe just an anomoly. It sure wont stop me from eatin there again.

Oh yeah, they use the whole damn pig I think.  Next time that happens just ask for more sauce. ;D
Have you ever had their cheeseburger?  Its so awesomed, mustard pickle and that sweet sweet coleslaw.  Genius!!

HognVA

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #5265 on: September 14, 2010, 08:44:52 pm »

I love good brisket, it just aint BBQ in my book. Neither is any kind of chicken. There is a difference in BBQ and grilled food ;)

I HAVE to disagree with you. I do agree that grilling is definitely NOT BBQ. I disagree that Brisket can't be. If it is cooked low  and slow with smoke than it is BBQ in my book. I live on the east coast now and have traveled all through the South East and Texas. Everyone has their own definition of BBQ but the one common denominator is the method of cooking. Meats are different sauces/rubs/seasonings are DEFINITELY different but the base method of cooking is the same.

I love all types of BBQ from Eastern Carolina with vinegar and hot sauce to Texas Brisket and smoked sausages. The more the better.

George S. Pigton

• Senior
  • www.talkbusiness.net
    • Talk Business & Politics
« Reply #5266 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16:56 pm »

The Whole Hog has the best BBQ in the state and they have locations all over now.

For local flavor of the Hogs try Herman's for a Steak but not the ribs.  Catfish
Hole has great catfish and loaded with Hog Fans.  Foghorn's has a good location
if your near Baum and good food.  Penguin Ed's has good BBQ and a local atmosphere.

I think Doe's has the best Steak in town and then Dickson has some nicer more refined
establishments as well but you can't beat US Pizza if your on Dickson.

George S. Pigton

• Senior
  • www.talkbusiness.net
    • Talk Business & Politics
« Reply #5267 on: September 14, 2010, 10:18:39 pm »

The House Dressing at US Pizza is a mix of Creamy Italian and Ranch but not sure of
the brands and the % of either. 

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Giant Bobby Portis is tired of your crap.
« Reply #5268 on: September 15, 2010, 12:08:26 am »

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #5269 on: September 15, 2010, 12:13:04 am »

Chopped beef??? Seriously??? This aint texass and beef aint bbq, PERIOD!

I usually eat Sliced Brisket, or Chopped Beef when I eat at a BBQ Restaurant.  Obviously, the Owner of Hog Pen Bar-B-Q in Conway, and the Owners of Rivertowne BBQ in Ozark feel that Chopped Beef is BBQ.  The same goes for many other Owners of BBQ Restaurants in the South who serve Chopped Beef.     

yraciv

« Reply #5270 on: September 15, 2010, 12:26:16 am »

I cannot believe there are 3-4 people out there that can say with a straight face that Jim's Razorback Pizza is the best in town.  You must be Jim or his mother.  I will admit that if you can get to Jim's and eat it at the restaurant within 3 minutes of it coming out of the oven... then it's not too bad.  Otherwise...  as Petrino would say... "AYSM?! You gotta be SM!!"

My feelings exactly! Recently Fort Smith got one, and I told everyone there is at least 5 places in Fayetteville I'd go to before Jim's. Heck I'd probably go a couple chain ones too.  That being said Jim's picked a good place to open a new restaurant because there is only one pizza place in Fort Smith that is even comparable to the US pizza, Tim's, or Guasanos.

stu06258

• Band Nerd
« Reply #5271 on: September 15, 2010, 01:42:49 am »

Fat Daddy's BBQ in Blackwell. Exit 101 in the Blackwell Liquor parking lot. Best BBQ in central Arkansas.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:47:14 am by stu06258 »

hawgsav1

« Reply #5272 on: September 15, 2010, 02:44:03 am »

My feelings exactly! Recently Fort Smith got one, and I told everyone there is at least 5 places in Fayetteville I'd go to before Jim's. Heck I'd probably go a couple chain ones too.  That being said Jim's picked a good place to open a new restaurant because there is only one pizza place in Fort Smith that is even comparable to the US pizza, Tim's, or Guasanos.

I agree with this when it comes to the non-original locations, but I'll take the original straight out of the oven over any other pizza ANY day.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5273 on: September 15, 2010, 04:17:20 am »

The Whole Hog has the best BBQ in the state and they have locations all over now.

For local flavor of the Hogs try Herman's for a Steak but not the ribs. 

Whole Hog is not necessarily the best and does not allow French Fries to be served unless they changed recently. What kind of southern BBQ restaurant doesn't serve fries?! That's crazy. Whole Hog also has different owners depending on location therefore the quality levels are different at each. There are reasons BBQ chains are very inconsistent and not as successful as other types of chains. I totally disagree on Hermans ribs. I think they are great. It is one of my favorite things and places to eat and living close to Memphis I can have great ribs everyday. In my opinion the best sandwich in Fayetteville is the Derek's Special chicken at Hugo's. It's not BBQ but well worth the "special" tag.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5274 on: September 15, 2010, 04:20:33 am »

I usually eat Sliced Brisket, or Chopped Beef when I eat at a BBQ Restaurant.  Obviously, the Owner of Hog Pen Bar-B-Q in Conway, and the Owners of Rivertowne BBQ in Ozark feel that Chopped Beef is BBQ.  The same goes for many other Owners of BBQ Restaurants in the South who serve Chopped Beef.     
Only BBQ restaurant owners that are west of the Miss. river or cater to a western style flavor. BBQ beef is more western style than southern.

Jabroni

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5275 on: September 15, 2010, 06:55:12 am »

Fancy had good recommendations. But I don't know if I can trust a guy who leaves off Jim's Razorback Pizza.

It's not bad. But I don't think it hold's a candle to U.S. Pizza, Tiny Tims, Damgoode Pies, or Tims. Then again, I've never ate at the original location on 6th.

This may be one of the best threads in Hogville history. I've lived in NWA most of my life. In Fayetteville specifically for the past couple (when not off traveling for work) and I've added 13 different places I've never been to on a "to eat list" on my phone.

I freaking love Hogville and miss Fayetteville baaaaaddddd.

SeeingRed13

• Senior
  • The Dude Abides.
« Reply #5276 on: September 15, 2010, 07:39:46 am »

Shag, I agree their traditional BBQ is not the best, but have you tried their sausages & hot links? They're $, fo sho.

razoredge178

• Hogvillian
  • Walk with purpose or move to the side.
« Reply #5277 on: September 15, 2010, 07:55:02 am »

Sorry my man, but Momma Dean's Soul Food has the BEST banana pudding in Fayetteville and that I've ever had. Everyone who has had it when I take them there has said the same.

Now we're talking. Mama Dean is soley responsible for my michelin man looking gut, that, when I moved to NW Arkansas, I could still see what was going on down there...

ark525

• Senior
« Reply #5278 on: September 15, 2010, 09:38:20 am »

I've lived in Fayetteville for 6 years and have made a point to eat at as many places as possible over that time.  Here are my opinions on the food here:

Someone mentioned the food at Hugos being so-so.  I've been there about 30 times and have always gotten the same thing- the chili burger.  Best chili burger you will ever have anywhere, without question.

Pizza- I prefer Dam Good Pies, which is just off the square on center street.  IMO, it blows everything else in Fayetteville out of the water (cheap beer, too!).  Gusano's is pretty good, and Mighty Mushroom up near the mall is pretty good.

Wings- go to Mickey Finn's on Monday night and get the hot.

Mexican- Jose's SUCKS for food, ok for drinks.  There's a new place in the old railroad station on dickson that is owned by the same people that run La Huerta and is just as good for drinks, much better for food.  El Camino Real down on 71 near Mama Dean's is the best mexican, IMO.

Mama Dean's is awesome.  Great food, period.

BBQ- personally, I've always liked Penguin Ed's.  Their meat isn't the best (which I know is more important), but I can't get enough of their hot sauce- its just good.  The one time I've had whole hog their meat was better, but their sauce wasn't as good, IMO.  Rivertowne BBQ down in Ozark is the best I've had in Arkansas.

Doe's is great.  Love the food and country atmosphere there.  Same with AQ chicken and the catfish hole.  These 3 places are probably the "quintessential" Fayetteville/NW Arkansas local eating places.  I'd put Hermann's up there too, but its more expensive.

Pesto Cafe- best Italian

Cafe Rue Orleans is very good, but pricey.  Lin D's Cajun Gypsy is a hole in the wall place that is amazing, but they keep weird hours.

There are also a number of asian ethnic places in Fayetteville.  All of the Thai restaurants are very good.  The sushi places can be hit or miss- Wasabi has the best food, but the service can be horrible.  The other places have better service, but the sushi isn't as good.

There's an Indian place (name escapes me) up in a motel in Rogers that is out of this world.  The one time I've been there it was full of Indian people, and even they said it was good.  Don't waste your time at the Pakistani/Indian place in Fayetteville.  The food tastes ok, but the time I went there, a buddy of mine got a goat plate that had literally 20 goat hairs on it.  Looked like it had been shaved instead of skinned.

Other good places on Dickson: Feltner Bros. burgers/franks has good burgers.  Kosmos Cafe has some great greek food, especially the salads.  Flying Burrito and Qdoba both have good burritos/tacos.  Sunrise Cafe is a great 24/7 diner with the best bacon I've ever had.

Hammontree's Grilled Cheese off of Dickson has some great gourmet-style toasted sandwiches.  Also a very popular place with the local sororities!

Geraldi's Italian on south University (down below the Bank of America) has AWESOME italian sandwiches, and the pizza is nothing to sneeze at either.

Verge

« Reply #5279 on: September 15, 2010, 01:00:37 pm »

Hammontree's Grilled Cheese off of Dickson has some great gourmet-style toasted sandwiches.  Also a very popular place with the local sororities!

Grilled Cheese???

Gourmet: a person who cultivates a discriminating palate for the enjoyment of good food and drink.

You have to be kidding me.

Dillar Dog

Re: The DST is going to New Orleans! (aka, the Dillar Dog thread)
« Reply #5280 on: September 15, 2010, 01:09:43 pm »

i'll be pulling up a stool at the alibi around 10:30 tonight if any of you girly mouths feel like coming down and hanging out with me and the supa.

i expect tumbleweeds to roll through this thread though.

wholehog

• Bench Warmer
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #5281 on: September 15, 2010, 01:11:21 pm »

The House Dressing at US Pizza is a mix of Creamy Italian and Ranch but not sure of
the brands and the % of either. 

They make it themselves.  It is a dry ranch powder mixed with mayonnaise, buttermilk and plain yogurt. 

josh_sec33

• Reeking of wanton jackwagonry and doing squat
« Reply #5282 on: September 15, 2010, 01:11:51 pm »

If you stop in Fort Smith, there's a small place called Pink Flamingo.......the award wall is crazy that you have to walk by to get in line. Great lunch specials.

razoredge178

• Hogvillian
  • Walk with purpose or move to the side.
« Reply #5283 on: September 15, 2010, 01:13:32 pm »

I don't even think the Bama guy is reading this thread anymore but it sure is fun..
 ;)

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #5284 on: September 15, 2010, 01:17:08 pm »

I'm afraid to say that Fville isn't the place to get any of Arkansas premiere BBQ... It does offer tons of other great eats though.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Today, we are teaching poodles how to fly...
« Reply #5285 on: September 15, 2010, 01:18:21 pm »

wildhog is a p*ssy. ;)

He is what he...well, nevermind. I better watch it.

SupaCrawf

• Go ahead, touch 'em.
« Reply #5286 on: September 15, 2010, 01:29:22 pm »

on the airport shuttle.  where is the alibi?

Dillar Dog

« Reply #5287 on: September 15, 2010, 01:46:14 pm »

on the airport shuttle.  where is the alibi?

Iberville.  The easiest way to get there for you would be go down canal to bourbon, walk up bourbon to the 1st intersection, take a left, the alibi is down there on the right.

I won't be downtown until around 10.  I'll be the big oaf with the blond girl that I have no business being with.  Can't miss us. 

Pancetta

• Senior
« Reply #5288 on: September 15, 2010, 02:31:42 pm »

If you are in town longer than just a day or so, try the Wooden Spoon in Gentry, AR.  Be prepared to wait 45 minutes for a table and order your dessert first b/c it goes fast.  I suggest the bread pudding.  It's run by Mennonites (think Amish light) and they know how to cook. 

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #5289 on: September 15, 2010, 02:35:44 pm »

it'd be worth 300 grand just to get the recipe for the house dressing.

Ask anyone who works there.... you might not want to eat it after that. You can pretty much watch sorority girls gain weight as they sit there eating it on crackers..

Girls love that stuff.

Uncle_dad

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5290 on: September 15, 2010, 02:38:05 pm »

Speaking of disappointed, someone recommended Top's to me.  I say if you can't do ribs, you can't do BBQ.  I was extremely disappointed.  Interstate, on the other hand, is about the best I've had. 

ark525

• Senior
« Reply #5291 on: September 15, 2010, 02:39:27 pm »

Grilled Cheese???

Gourmet: a person who cultivates a discriminating palate for the enjoyment of good food and drink.

You have to be kidding me.

Don't knock it till you try it.  They make their own breads and cheeses and most sandwiches are not just cheese, but have different meats and veggies, especially peppers.  Everything I've had there has been world-class.  Its always packed at lunch and I've never heard anything but rave reviews.

RedRock

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5292 on: September 15, 2010, 03:42:07 pm »

You have got to try a polish dog with slaw.  It is the best.  You can order 2 dogs, bag of chips and drink for under 5 bucks.  Craigs is good eat'n.   

SultanofSwine

• WoooPigSoooie!!!
« Reply #5293 on: September 15, 2010, 04:04:48 pm »

You have got to try a polish dog with slaw.  It is the best.  You can order 2 dogs, bag of chips and drink for under 5 bucks.  Craigs is good eat'n.   

Dog aint BBQ either, I dont care if it is polish, french or guatamalan. They say dog makes a fine meal though.

Seriously to be honest I didnt even know they served 'em. Never bothered to look at the menu, just ordered a sammich or 4 and got serious. ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:07:16 pm by SultanofSwine »

SEdrhawg

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5294 on: September 15, 2010, 04:12:38 pm »

Below are my BBQ recommendations:

1.  Hog Pen Bar-B-Q   Conway, AR.  Conway is 30 miles West of Little Rock (I-40 goes through Conway).  Hog Pen Bar-B-Q was voted by the 2009 Arkansas Times Readers Choice Awards-Best BBQ around Arkansas.  In my opinion, the Chopped Beef at Hog Pen Bar-B-Q is the best Chopped Beef I have ever eaten.  I have eaten the Pulled Pork at Hog Pen.  It is excellent also.  I have read on the Internet a post by a person stating that to him, the Pulled Pork at Hog Pen is better than the Pulled Pork at Interstate BBQ in Memphis, TN.  The below link to Hog Pen's Web Site has a Menu, and a Direction Map.  The below Yahoo Local link has 5 Written Reviews. 

http://hogpenbbq.com/

http://local.yahoo.com/info-18354403-hog-pen-barbecue-catering-conway

2.  Rivertowne BBQ   Ozark, AR.  Ozark, AR is off of I-40 (2 Exits to Ozark from I-40), and Ozark is about 25 Miles from the I-40 West/I-540 North interchange (I-540 North goes up to Fayetteville from I-40 West).  Rivertowne BBQ is on the Court House Square in Ozark, AR.  If you take the first Ozark Exit off of I-40 West and go South into Ozark, you will come to the Court House Square.  Rivertowne BBQ has very good BBQ.  The Chopped Beef at Rivertowne is excellent, but to me, is not quite as good as the Chopped Beef at Hog Pen Bar-B-Q in Conway.  The below link to Rivertowne's Web Site has a Menu, and a Direction Map.  The below Yahoo Local link has 10 Written Reviews.

http://www.rivertownebbq.com/

http://local.yahoo.com/info-18435706-rivertowne-bbq-ozark

Yes, This ^^^.

This is by far the best BBQ that I have ever eaten in my life.  This coming from someone that eats BBQ every chance he gets.

H O G S

• Senior
« Reply #5295 on: September 15, 2010, 05:34:40 pm »

I eat whole hog, mostly with people who have never had real E ARK or Memphis BBQ, but their pork is awful, I swear they boiled the last batch I had.  I either get the chicken nachos or beef, and no one should ever need to order beef or put movie theater cheese on bbq.    Im spoiled though, I grew up in Lonoke County.  CRAIGS  BABY!!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:36:36 pm by H O G S »

Country Stylz

« Reply #5296 on: September 15, 2010, 05:48:00 pm »

Oh yeah, they use the whole damn pig I think.  Next time that happens just ask for more sauce. ;D
Have you ever had their cheeseburger?  Its so awesomed, mustard pickle and that sweet sweet coleslaw.  Genius!!
Craig's cheeseburger = TOTALLY AWESOMED.

hshog

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5297 on: September 15, 2010, 05:56:39 pm »

Now we're talking. Mama Dean is soley responsible for my michelin man looking gut, that, when I moved to NW Arkansas, I could still see what was going on down there...

Do yourself and your stomach a favor and find Mama Deans and/or Pops. Best southern food in the state.

Blutoblutarsky

• I smell varmit poontang
« Reply #5298 on: September 15, 2010, 06:03:35 pm »

Don't know why Pop's bbq keeps getting brought up...the one time I ate there I swear I was eating Manwich out of the can

swinecrazy

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5299 on: September 15, 2010, 06:18:14 pm »

rivertowne bbq in ozark is best i have ever had and the portions will usually feed 2 people. i live in van buren but i eat their bbq at least once every week. as for pizza it is also in ozark and it is called zacks pizza, especially if you like thin crust it is the best, and they use some kind of special cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 ... 371   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas