• 395,362 Topics
• 22,295 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 ... 382   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 831151 times)

BamaHamr

Re: My Bryant-Denny Experience
« Reply #3300 on: September 27, 2009, 07:10:53 pm »

I don't post often but this band guy warrants it.
It amazes me when other team's fans bring up the fact that Bama fans can't get over Coach Bryant(he hated being called Bear).  It's always non Bama fans that bring up Coach Bryant and claim we are the ones who don't know he's dead!
Anyone who doesn't think Coach Bryant's legacy is confined to Al. and Ark. is either 12 or mentally challenged.  His affect on 100's if not 1,000's of young men went well beyond the playing field.

Blinkhog

« Reply #3301 on: September 27, 2009, 07:12:29 pm »

That's a great question - why don't you ask Jerry Jones?

Really?  I mean I know I kicked you in the balls,  but really?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HomesinAL

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3302 on: September 27, 2009, 08:29:06 pm »

I just think it is hilarious that this guy is the type that tries to act intelligent by calling out someone for excluding an "o" from the word waterballoon, only to turn around and call some DILLusional (delusional).  What was all that pot and kettle stuff?  Hog fans, this guy is nowhere near as bad as our BigE guy, but he is not a good representation of your school.  Beat A&M next week and show the Big 12 that the SEC rules!

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

« Reply #3303 on: September 27, 2009, 08:32:24 pm »

It amazes me when other team's fans bring up the fact that Bama fans can't get over Coach Bryant(he hated being called Bear).  It's always non Bama fans that bring up Coach Bryant and claim we are the ones who don't know he's dead!
Anyone who doesn't think Coach Bryant's legacy is confined to Al. and Ark. is either 12 or mentally challenged.  His affect on 100's if not 1,000's of young men went well beyond the playing field.
Got a question for ya.  Do you live in Alabama?

rhogcaveman

• Bench Warmer
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #3304 on: September 27, 2009, 08:33:30 pm »

We had a great experience @ Bryant-Denny. Fans treated us well. There was one stupid fan and he was from Arkansas. No kidding. We had a great time would suggest that is would be a good trip for anyone.

pigface

« Reply #3305 on: September 27, 2009, 08:55:30 pm »

It was my first.  I thought the stadium looked super.  The grass field was as nice as Arkansas's old grass field.  Apparently Nick Saban is okay with a grass field and doing rather well on it.

Some of the nicest people I ever met.  One student told me we would beat them next year.  That made feel a lot better. 

The statue of Bear Bryant in front of the stadium just said it all.  The two construction cranes towering over the stadium just looked like nothing but success.

whiskeyNwater

• Varsity
« Reply #3306 on: September 27, 2009, 09:22:13 pm »

why are we Arkansas fans so silly sometimes. Band dude you need to stick to instruments because you know nothing about Football. I am a huge Razorback fan and I know that Bear Bryant is easily the most famous College Football coach ever. I traveled to Tuscaloosa two years ago and I was very impressed with Bamas campus, tailgating, fans and the overall experience. It doesn't make you less of a Hog fan to acknowledge the obvious. Sure Bama had a number of jerk fans but we here in Arkansas have just as many as do the rest of SEC schools. Their stadium was rocking that night, and I will admit it got louder than DWR ever has. We need to show some respect. Bama got the better of us this time but hopefully we can compete and win a few of our own once we get comparable players

CrimsonPirate

« Reply #3307 on: September 27, 2009, 10:11:59 pm »

Since I'm a Bama fan, I won't get into this discussion, except to say that we appreciate the kind words from you knowledgeable Hog fans. I've been an Arkansas fan since your days in the SWC, and there has developed a good rivalry between the two schools.

Roll, Tide and Woo, pig! Sooie!

Pork-n-Boots

« Reply #3308 on: September 27, 2009, 10:31:58 pm »

As I live in Tennessee, I normally go to road games at Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky to see the Hogs play since it is closer than WMS or RRS. I sat in the west upper deck with a Bama friend who has alumni tickets. All seats in this upper deck are chairbacks. I thought the stadium was much nicer than Neyland in Knoxville. Their fans were much classier than Tennessee (but Tennessee fans are some of the worst I've ever encountered).

Didn't have any problems with the Bama fans. I'd recommend making the trip in 2011. My buddy says their stadium will seat over 100,000 next year. As far as the game is concerned, I thought their were too many dropped passes and rushed throws by Mallett. Lets be patient and give coach Petrino and the staff some time. HDN didn't exactly leave a fully stocked team.

oahubammer

• Band Nerd
« Reply #3309 on: September 28, 2009, 01:49:30 am »

Thanks to the fans(the majority in this thread) for the kind words.  I take the other comments with a grain of salt because we all have a few of those type fans.

This series is only going to get better. Good luck the rest of the way guys.  I will be pulling for you guys hard every game.

UAbandalum

« Reply #3310 on: September 28, 2009, 03:59:51 am »

I just think it is hilarious that this guy is the type that tries to act intelligent by calling out someone for excluding an "o" from the word waterballoon, only to turn around and call some DILLusional (delusional).  What was all that pot and kettle stuff?  Hog fans, this guy is nowhere near as bad as our BigE guy, but he is not a good representation of your school.  Beat A&M next week and show the Big 12 that the SEC rules!
I find it equally hilarious that you're apparently a 'Bama fan (my condolences) and don't have anything better to do but go on another school's message board to to talk stuff about someone totally random.  I mean, how bored are you?  Was there not anything on your own message board for you to talk or gloat about?  If you've never heard of the phrase the pot calling the kettle black then I won't bother explaining it to you because you've apparently been living under a rock your entire pathetic adult life.  I wasn't aware that 'Bama fans who can't even stay on their own message boards are suddenly authorities on what is or isn't a good representation of the University of Arkansas.

Go back to Tuscaloosa and prepare to shellac Kentucky next week.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:46:51 am by UAbandalum »

UAbandalum

« Reply #3311 on: September 28, 2009, 04:05:12 am »

Really?  I mean I know I kicked you in the balls,  but really?
Yes, really - I'm sorry to disappoint you, but if you think everyone in Arkansas has a lovefest for Jerry and the Cowboys just because he's a native, then perhaps YOU'RE the one who needs to be kicked in the balls.

Couldn't agree w/ Colin Cowherd more after he said last week that Jerry and the Cowboys are good at everything that doesn't matter and that no one cares about in the NFL - truer words were never spoken.

You built a new stadium w/ a ridiculously large replay screen and thought it would be smart to hang it from the center of the stadium - congratulations, Jerry, but no one cares outside of Dallas.  You also were successful in totally pricing out season ticket holders who have been loyal to the team for the last 20+ years and who now can't even afford a soda at your new stadium, let alone a ticket for a game thanks to the inflated prices.  Way to have compassion for your fanbase, Jerry.  I can't stand the Cowboys, but even I think that's pretty gutless to treat your fans like that - as if firing Tom Landry wasn't bad enough . . . . . .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:04:01 am by UAbandalum »

oahubammer

• Band Nerd
« Reply #3312 on: September 28, 2009, 05:22:09 am »

I find it equally hilarious that you're apparently a 'Bama fan (my condolences) and don't have anything better to do but go on another school's message board to to talk stuff about someone totally random.  I mean, how bored are you?  Was there not anything on your own message board for you to talk or gloat about?  If you've never heard of the phrase the pot calling the kettle black then I won't bother explaining it to you because you've apparently been living under a rock your entire pathetic adult life.  I wasn't aware that 'Bama fans who can't even stay on their own message boards are suddenly authorities on what is or isn't a good representation of the University of Arkansas.

Wow, you're a prissy little cuss.  So you can have a  menstrual cycle all over this thread, but anyone with another point of view is a loser?

A couple things you seem unaware of, (1) it's the internet, it takes 2 seconds, and minimual effort to get here. (2) you played in the band. The only reason you don't understand how bad of an insult that is because you played in the band.  Your opinion will become relevent during the next  "who is the  starter on french horn?" debate.

b0sc0b

« Reply #3313 on: September 28, 2009, 05:30:26 am »

It's interesting how these type threads are always the same.  Win an away game, and the opposing teams fans were great, stadium was awesome, and the tailgating was wonderful.  Lose an away game and the stadium was dirty, the fans were rude, their traditions stupid, and their women are ugly.  Like clockwork.
Great sociological observation.  There is a dissertation in there somewhere. WPS

Dirty

« Reply #3314 on: September 28, 2009, 05:36:17 am »

Bama fans are the worst but they are the best when Matt Jones and Company came back to win in double overtime.  Remember the one who took a shot at his son.  Typical bama fan. 

The reason I know the majority of the fans are arrogant is because I live in Alabama.

Teebow62

« Reply #3315 on: September 28, 2009, 07:00:38 am »

Polar opposite. I thought they were great! And Saban has been kind two years in a row not running up the score. Don't hate, just try to get better and compete. This is what gives our fans a bad name.

razorsharptusk

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Fightin' Lumberjacks!
« Reply #3316 on: September 28, 2009, 07:14:17 am »

I have to say, I was envious of their fans, though - whenever Mallett would begin to call an audible that place went insane. Wish our fans could get that coordinated.

This was probably because on the Hey Coach show, Saban asked the Bama fans to make a "Hell of alot of noise" when Mallett comes to the line so he can't audible.  It worked.

razorsharptusk

• Fightin' Lumberjacks!
« Reply #3317 on: September 28, 2009, 07:15:48 am »

I agree. Saban could have run the score up a whole lot more than he did.  Obviously we had nothing for them about mid of third quarter on.  Could have been alot worse for sure.

sooie dog

« Reply #3318 on: September 28, 2009, 08:02:56 am »

Today was my first gameday experience at Bryant-Denny Stadium.  The stadium, the transportation, and the lines at the concession stands were wonderful I thought. Regardless, as soon as I stepped foot in that stadium, I could feel a sense of arrogance in the air.  Even during the game, sitting on the edge of the Arkansas section, BAMA fans heckled and yelled stupid and unclassy comments throughout the course of the game.

What did you guys think of the stadium?

I thought the fans were extremely nice.  We even got a little turned around afterwards looking for the car and they went out of their way to help us.  Other than getting our asses kicked the overall experience was good and would rate it great if we had won.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:17:58 am by sooie dog »

ADAM_713

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • TIMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYY
« Reply #3319 on: September 28, 2009, 08:31:12 am »

Yes, really - I'm sorry to disappoint you, but if you think everyone in Arkansas has a lovefest for Jerry and the Cowboys just because he's a native, then perhaps YOU'RE the one who needs to be kicked in the balls.

Couldn't agree w/ Colin Cowherd more after he said last week that Jerry and the Cowboys are good at everything that doesn't matter and that no one cares about in the NFL - truer words were never spoken.

You built a new stadium w/ a ridiculously large replay screen and thought it would be smart to hang it from the center of the stadium - congratulations, Jerry, but no one cares outside of Dallas.  You also were successful in totally pricing out season ticket holders who have been loyal to the team for the last 20+ years and who now can't even afford a soda at your new stadium, let alone a ticket for a game thanks to the inflated prices.  Way to have compassion for your fanbase, Jerry.  I can't stand the Cowboys, but even I think that's pretty gutless to treat your fans like that - as if firing Tom Landry wasn't bad enough . . . . . .

Was the Flute a little cold when it went in last night?   How is that music degree treating ya?  How does it feel to know that Jerry makes more bank in a day than you will in a lifetime?  What is it like to be on the bottom rung in not only college,  but also life?

ALLVOL

« Reply #3320 on: September 28, 2009, 08:40:57 am »

I have never been there as a Hog fan but I can tell you as a Tennessee fan that is not a friendly place to be... I've heard from other schools fans that it was not that bad. But I guess the tension with UT and bammer makes it different.

I prefer playing in Bham over tuscalooser. More to do after the game.

ALLVOL

« Reply #3321 on: September 28, 2009, 08:47:37 am »

I agree on the field he had a huge impact. Off the field... well I think I will let unbiased history speak.

HuntinHog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #3322 on: September 28, 2009, 08:59:11 am »

I went and had a great time.  The fans there were great.  Even decked out in hog gear I'm convinced you could walk up to any tent in the quad and they would offer you a plate full of food and a beer.

Inside the stadium they were great too, of course it's a lot easier to be nice to visiting fans when you're crushing their team...

Lambo

« Reply #3323 on: September 28, 2009, 09:12:33 am »

i was at the game as well and have more respect now for the Alabama fans than before.  When it started to rain heavily about 1 hour before the kickoff some very nice Bama fans let myself and my wife stand under their tent and have a few conversations about the game. while i was covered entirely of razorback apparel they still had open arms to us. If it wasn't for the rain and lack of seeing the scoreboards (due to sitting in the Ark. section) and Ark playing better i would have really enjoyed the game.  I wish Bama best of luck for the rest of the season.

huggerfrommanila

• Varsity
  • Manila Old Boys: Making you bottle it since '82
« Reply #3324 on: September 28, 2009, 09:47:18 am »

i was up in the cheap seats.  real cheap.  with salt of the earth type folks.  they werent so bad just cheering for their team.  my buddy who is 6 foot 5 250 pounds didnt come with us so we didnt do much taunting.  also not much opportunity with the way teh game went. 

sooie dog

« Reply #3325 on: September 28, 2009, 10:51:34 am »

One other thing I would like to add is that the stadium was not completely full.  For all of you that say we can't be a big time program when we don't always fill our stadium. I would say that Bama is about as big time as it gets and they did not fill their sadium for a conference game when that are ranked in the top 5.

mtownhog

« Reply #3326 on: September 28, 2009, 11:24:07 am »

One other thing I would like to add is that the stadium was not completely full.  For all of you that say we can't be a big time program when we don't always fill our stadium. I would say that Bama is about as big time as it gets and they did not fill their sadium for a conference game when that are ranked in the top 5.

I noticed that too. There were quite a few open seats in the Greek student section.

All in all I thought the whole experience was great though.  I tailgated at my friend's house on 12th street, right across from that huge 13 story all-girl dorm. Every Bama fan I talked to before the game was extremely knowledgeable of SEC football and respectful of Arkansas's football team. I thought the stadium was great; it was extremely nice and I thought it got very loud.  After the game we went out to a bar on University and had an awesome time.

chiro_hawg

• Bench Warmer
  • There's nothing you can know that isn't known.
« Reply #3327 on: September 28, 2009, 11:40:19 am »

I was underwhelmed again for my 4th trip there.  I keep expecting something more, especially with all the bragging Alabama fans do.  We had plenty of empty seats around us in the Alabama section.  Fans were about like anywhere, quite when close then start talking smack when winning.  Still not as loud as RRS.  Also, noticed a chain linked fence all the way down the visitor's bench that made me laugh.  Overall, nothing special at BDS.  I've seen much better at other venues around the SEC.  We should be proud of our great facilities at Arkansas, no one has anything on us with 'em.

1CavHog

« Reply #3328 on: September 28, 2009, 11:45:35 am »

I never had an issue with Bama or Auburn fans. LSU on the other hand...

HomesinAL

• Walk-On
« Reply #3329 on: September 28, 2009, 01:26:57 pm »

OK dude, you sound even more ridiculous than before.  First of all, I have lived in Arkansas for 7 years now,  for undergrad and for med. school now.  I also married and Arkansan and love this state second to my home state.  So, I feel somewhat justified in visiting this board by the fact that I get a firsthand look at Arkansas football more than most Bama fans. I have heard smack-talk from my Arkansas buddies all week (all  in good fun, mind you) and have kept my mouth shut.  I was taken-aback my your original post.  Guess you could call it my breaking point when I saw you correcting someone for misspelling a word, only to do the same thing later.  I love Arkansas and have many Hog-fan friends, all of whom have loads of class.  Most of the Hog fans on this board seem to have the same classiness.  You don't.  Hopefully you just had a bad day though.  Again, good luck against the Aggies.
P.S.- if you look at the context of the whole pot and kettle thing, I was referring to your hypocrisy.  In other words, don't call someone a hypocrite when you act like one yourself.  I know what the phrase means.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:20:31 pm by HomesinAL »

hostilehog

« Reply #3330 on: September 28, 2009, 01:31:30 pm »

I just think it is hilarious that this guy is the type that tries to act intelligent by calling out someone for excluding an "o" from the word waterballoon, only to turn around and call some DILLusional (delusional). 

+1 - I noticed this to and was going to post. What a dumba$$...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #3331 on: September 28, 2009, 05:39:52 pm »

Come on man,  messing with someone in the band is like throwing waterballoons at retards.  ;)

Don't knock it til you try it..  That's all I'm saying...

ADAM_713

• TIMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYY
« Reply #3332 on: September 28, 2009, 10:34:56 pm »

Did you happen to see this guy?

Actually that is our band friend.  I wonder if he will ever post again?

Hawgndaaz

« Reply #3333 on: September 28, 2009, 10:54:06 pm »

Wow, you're a prissy little cuss. So you can have a  menstrual cycle all over this thread, but anyone with another point of view is a loser?

A couple things you seem unaware of, (1) it's the internet, it takes 2 seconds, and minimual effort to get here. (2) you played in the band. The only reason you don't understand how bad of an insult that is because you played in the band.  Your opinion will become relevent during the next  "who is the  starter on french horn?" debate.

2 kicks in your "brass" balls (get it :)) in one post from a rival fan

+1

This is the kinda talk I like to see from visiting fans on this board. Keep up the good work.

huggerfrommanila

• Varsity
  • Manila Old Boys: Making you bottle it since '82
« Reply #3334 on: September 29, 2009, 08:23:07 am »

i will say one more thing.  now i had a good time.  but when you are 18 point underdogs and the home team covers they are going to be nicer to you than if it is a big game.

hogfan064

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Best place for Texas BBQ while in Dallas
« Reply #3335 on: September 29, 2009, 11:30:37 am »

Where is the best place in the area for BBQ? 

Hog Waller

• Don't watch you might fall into a trance
Re: Best place for Texas BBQ while in Dallas
« Reply #3336 on: September 29, 2009, 11:34:35 am »

Hard Eight BBQ in Coppell!
http://www.hardeightbbq.com/

hogfan064

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #3337 on: September 29, 2009, 11:42:05 am »

Hard Eight BBQ in Coppell!
http://www.hardeightbbq.com/

That does look really good.  I'll have to try it

scoami

« Reply #3338 on: September 29, 2009, 11:44:19 am »

Sonny Bryan's is my favorite.  I haven't been to the "original" location, we have one right down the street from where I live.  I hear you have to get there early, sometimes they run out of food.
http://www.sonnybryans.com/restaurants_inwood.aspx

under_par

« Reply #3339 on: September 29, 2009, 11:46:31 am »

Bone Daddy's at 75/Spring Creek (north of 635).  Although, there is not really any good BBQ down here.

Hog Waller

• Don't watch you might fall into a trance
« Reply #3340 on: September 29, 2009, 11:48:53 am »

I have eaten at Hard Eight several times, and his highly recommended by a buddy of mine from Coppell who owns his own BBQ rub and sauce company.  Sent the team I manage there last month, while they were at training, and they were wowed by it...said it was incredible.

Bone Daddy's is good too.  Sonny's is ok, it is a chain all over the country.  If you go to a chain, just in the Dallas/FTW area is a place called Spring Creek BBQ.  Good BBQ, fixins', and the roles are fantastic.

SRFL

• Sweet as Sugar...
« Reply #3341 on: September 29, 2009, 11:54:11 am »

I dig on Sammy's

For a chain type, Red Hot and Blue or Spring Creek both do very very well.

hogfan064

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #3342 on: September 29, 2009, 11:55:44 am »

I have eaten at Hard Eight several times, and his highly recommended by a buddy of mine from Coppell who owns his own BBQ rub and sauce company.  Sent the team I manage there last month, while they were at training, and they were wowed by it...said it was incredible.

Bone Daddy's is good too.  Sonny's is ok, it is a chain all over the country.  If you go to a chain, just in the Dallas/FTW area is a place called Spring Creek BBQ.  Good BBQ, fixins', and the roles are fantastic.

I'd rather stay away from the big chain places.  A good local establishment is good with me. 

SRFL

• Sweet as Sugar...
« Reply #3343 on: September 29, 2009, 11:59:20 am »

I'd rather stay away from the big chain places.  A good local establishment is good with me. 

Hard Eight is very good.   Sammy's in on Leonard close to downtown.  Highly recommend.  Easy drive if you are staying on 35

SouthSide Johnny

• SSJ
    • Facebook
« Reply #3344 on: September 29, 2009, 12:02:07 pm »

hog49

« Reply #3345 on: September 29, 2009, 12:17:27 pm »

I really like Angelo's, in Fort Worth, because it reminds me of McClard's in Hot Springs. Family-owned and operated and they have great, ice-cold mugs of beer to go with the bbq...   Sonny Bryan's is good, too..

Here's the web site for Angelo's:  http://www.angelosbbq.com/index2.html

HognVA

« Reply #3346 on: September 29, 2009, 12:30:48 pm »

Although, there is not really any good BBQ down here.

I have  had some excellent BBQ in Austin. Brisket of course, no pork but no one should go to Texas looking for pork BBQ. Brisket and smoked Sausage.

Sweet Kitten Feet

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3347 on: September 29, 2009, 12:34:10 pm »

Har 8 is good, but I would also recommend Angelo's Fort Worth.  Easier drive from the stadium than hard 8 too.  I grew up in Fort Worth.

Sonny Bryan's is good, but you have to get there early.  When they run out they close. 

85AHog

« Reply #3348 on: September 29, 2009, 12:39:09 pm »

Where is the best place in the area for BBQ?

Whatever you do..do NOT go to Dickey's. I dont care what anyone in the DFW area says-they are just plain bad.

My pick is Rudy's. The one in DFW though is in Frisco...not all that close to Arlington.
http://rudys.com/default.aspx

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #3349 on: September 29, 2009, 12:40:54 pm »

Sonny Bryants was just voted best BBQ in Dallas by NBC5 Tv Viewers.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 ... 382   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas