• 10,110,407 Posts
• 404,024 Topics
• 23,071 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 416 [417] 418   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 1027809 times)

volkh

• Varsity
  • I like football and boobs, in either order.
Re: Liberty Bowl Advice
« Reply #20800 on: December 27, 2018, 04:37:07 pm »

You know I was gonna talk some crap because Eff Miss..U... but I love some Memphis.  Enjoy yourself man.  The Rock and Soul Museum is great if you love music and I make any excuse I can to stop by Central BBQ.  Get the Banana Pudding for desert, you will thank me later. 

MissippHog

« Reply #20801 on: December 27, 2018, 04:46:03 pm »

Did someone say BBQ?  Check out One and Only, there are a couple of them around town.  You won't regret it.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
Re: A&M game - Reed Arena
« Reply #20802 on: December 27, 2018, 05:20:02 pm »

Thanks for the reply. Section 122 appears to me to be my best bet to maybe be close to other Razorback fans (if there are any). At least the A&M students will still be on Christmas break.

Have fun and bring home a W.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #20803 on: December 27, 2018, 05:24:29 pm »

Dress warm.  The Liberty Bowl is coldest place I've ever been.

Last time I was there was when we finally beat Memphis (State?) in 1999 or so. Babygirl got a cold the week of the ECU bowl game so we bailed. From all accounts it turned out to be a good idea......cooooold.

HogBreath

« Reply #20804 on: December 27, 2018, 06:19:57 pm »

Watch out for that big Collie dog they have dashing about and barking it's dang head off.

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #20805 on: December 27, 2018, 09:42:24 pm »

There is free street parking in the Cooper Young neighborhood west of the stadium. Many homeowners on East Parkway offer parking in their yards a'la Hillcrest for War Memorial games. To me, this is the best and easiest for leaving the game. You're going to have to battle a lot of merging traffic getting to just a few gates if you use stadium parking.

Probably a long wait at Central BBQ on Central Ave.; the Summer location or the downtown location might have a shorter line. An early lunch, say at 11 a.m. might help in that regard. A second choice might  be Bar-B-Q Shop on Madison (competition barbeque). Everybody should go to Rendezvous at least once. The food is fine; try the chicken.
the BBQ Shop is great for ribs & the BBQ spaghetti. Cozy Corner is another great place... go for lunch only cuz itís in a bad part of town.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #20806 on: December 27, 2018, 10:41:37 pm »

Yelp....Just get a pie and take it home, before they run out!

Oh best BBQ....Memphis BBQ on 302 in front of the Home Depot in Southaven MS. But Central BBQ is pretty good too.

Disagree. I used to work in Southaven and ate there a few times. It is good but not the best.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20807 on: December 27, 2018, 10:43:07 pm »

Did someone say BBQ?  Check out One and Only, there are a couple of them around town.  You won't regret it.

It is pretty good. Depending on which location.

txswine

• Walk-On
« Reply #20808 on: December 27, 2018, 11:33:11 pm »

It should be fun. My daughter graduates from A&M this spring but sheís still a hog fan. Sheíllí be wearing an A&M ring and an A&M shirt but sheíll be cheering for the hogs. She was at the game in college Station a couple of years ago and sent me a picture of her in the stands with a woo pig sooie shirt under her A&M shirt. I couldnít have been prouder!

FBREW000

« Reply #20809 on: December 28, 2018, 12:35:42 am »

I am in Jonesboro and have a few parking passes, if your in the area.  They are gated Liberty Bowl Parking Red lot.

Enjoy the game, I may go over myself on gameday just to see a live game during bowl season, sucks we are staying home.  WPS!

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #20810 on: December 28, 2018, 06:39:12 am »

NM
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:46:14 pm by #hammerdown »

FBREW000

« Reply #20811 on: December 28, 2018, 02:13:13 pm »

I just came back to check.  Heading to paragould in a bit.  Be glad to give u a pass if your around.  Don't know where you live.

Potosihog

« Reply #20812 on: December 28, 2018, 03:33:06 pm »

I just came back to check.  Heading to paragould in a bit.  Be glad to give u a pass if your around.  Don't know where you live.

I live in Missouri.  I plan to be in Memphis eating before the game.  Probably go to Central BBQ based on all the reviews on here.  If you want to meet I would buy your lunch.  That is if you decide to go.  I sure appreciate the offer.  Let me know what you think.

trippigs

« Reply #20813 on: December 28, 2018, 04:01:48 pm »

Previous Liberty Bowl games had a nice shuttle from University of Memphis parking lots which dropped off right outside the stadium. It was safe and only cost $15 per car. Very easy! I am not sure if it is offered this year but it is worth researching

tusksincolorado

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • My AIM is VERY TRUE!!!
« Reply #20814 on: December 29, 2018, 09:15:04 am »

Disagree. I used to work in Southaven and ate there a few times. It is good but not the best.

When in Memphis, and it comes to chopped BBQ pork, it's a shorter list of "bad" places than good!

Next day everybody should have lunch at Gus's Fried Chicken...go for the FULL cardiac episode!!!

ricepig

« Reply #20815 on: December 29, 2018, 09:59:49 am »

When in Memphis, and it comes to chopped BBQ pork, it's a shorter list of "bad" places than good!

Next day everybody should have lunch at Gus's Fried Chicken...go for the FULL cardiac episode!!!

Yet, outside of the one downtown, even they are "hit and miss". I'm sure it is too, but I've only had "hit" there, the few times I've had lunch. I will say the 3 times I've eaten at the one in LR, it's been very good.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20816 on: December 30, 2018, 07:48:11 am »

Please make sure you do NOT eat at Gusís if you have a nut allergy. Eveything is fried in Peanut oil.

GTOWNHOG

« Reply #20817 on: December 30, 2018, 02:49:10 pm »

Since the hogs are staying home this bowl season I am taking my son to the Liberty Bowl.  Living in Missouri it is my second team (sorry) and his first.  Don't ask about Kelly Bryant in our home.

Anyway,
I have been to the Liberty Bowl once.  I was about 12. 

Any tips on what to do/not do?
Parking (how much and where)?
Eating before the game
How early should I arrive to easily navigate parking and traffic?

We have good seats.  Hopefully the weather holds off and we have a dry 50 degree day. 

Thanks for your help in advance.  Go easy on this old hog fan who has been transplanted into Missouri.

I have lived in Germantown for the last 30+ years.  The Germantown Commissary has awesome BBQ, but it will be packed even without the Liberty Bowl fans.

Central BBQ has a NEW LOCATION that opened about 6 months ago.  It is located at 6201 POPLAR AVENUE which is just East of the intersection of Poplar and I-240.  It will probably be busy, but they have a lot of seating, so you should be able to eat without much trouble.

The WEATHER forecast is for temperatures in the high 50's and low 60's with a significant chance of rain. It is also supposed to be quite windy 10-20 MPH with gusts to 30 MPH. Be sure to wear rain gear.

Lock your car and don't have anything visible.

You should be fine.

tusksincolorado

• My AIM is VERY TRUE!!!
« Reply #20818 on: December 31, 2018, 11:23:44 am »

Please make sure you do NOT eat at Gus’s if you have a nut allergy. Eveything is fried in Peanut oil.

OMG....WARNING! READ THE SIGNS IF YOU ARE A SNOWFLAKE!

Everybody else doesn't need to be told....they automatically read.

Were you beaten as a child!!!

ricepig

« Reply #20819 on: December 31, 2018, 11:33:30 am »

Yeah, it's right there on the menu, and those who suffer from this know to ask/check on all of their prepared food.

oldhawg

« Reply #20820 on: December 31, 2018, 11:33:55 am »

Easy to overlook. Restaurants do not normally cook with peanut oil.

I have eaten at Gus's Fried Chicken in Austin several times, and never noticed "cooked in peanut oil" signs.  Of course, I am not allergic to peanuts, so would have no reason to be concerned in the first place.

ricepig

« Reply #20821 on: December 31, 2018, 11:37:44 am »

Easy to overlook. Restaurants do not normally cook with peanut oil.

I have eaten at Gus's Fried Chicken in Austin several times, and never noticed "cooked in peanut oil" signs.  Of course, I am not allergic to peanuts, so would have no reason to be concerned in the first place.

http://gusfriedchicken.com/austin-texas-location/#menu

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #20822 on: December 31, 2018, 02:03:54 pm »

There's literally nothing that people on hogville won't argue about.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20823 on: December 31, 2018, 02:29:20 pm »

No everyone does not automatically read. They donít have big signs everywhere announcing it and they have so much other stuff the signs they do have kind of blend in. Besides if someone does have a nut allergy and never have ate there then perhaps they would be happy to know that before they drive to one, get out of their car and go inside before finding out. Then have to get back in their car and find somewhere else. So my post is more of a public service announcement. If you donít need it donít read it. Iíve been in the restaurant business and believe me when I say you do NOT want to take any chances with that issue.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20824 on: December 31, 2018, 02:32:01 pm »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20825 on: December 31, 2018, 02:38:29 pm »

Yeah, it's right there on the menu, and those who suffer from this know to ask/check on all of their prepared food.

True a huge majority of the time. However in my restaurant career Iíve had people not ask and then claim they had a reaction. Sometimes it was not even from something they ate but claimed what they ate must have touched nuts or the employees didnít handle the food properly. I kid you not.

ricepig

« Reply #20826 on: December 31, 2018, 02:39:29 pm »

Thank you. It would be real easy to overlook that sentence in the menu.

Not if you were concerned about allergies, you look and ask everywhere.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20827 on: December 31, 2018, 02:41:07 pm »

Not if you were concerned about allergies, you look and ask everywhere.

I understand. See my above post. It can slip by. Especially if they are distracted somehow. As I said my original post on the matter was a public service. People would be stunned and flabbergasted by what Iíve heard, witnessed and seen done in my hospitality career. About the only things I havenít had happen is rape and murder. But I have other friends that have had that happen in their locations.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

« Reply #20828 on: December 31, 2018, 02:41:36 pm »

I assume you meant the ECU game, the K-State game started in sunlight, it wasn't "cold".

Got em mixed up. My bad.

ricepig

« Reply #20829 on: December 31, 2018, 02:44:54 pm »

I understand. See my above post. It can slip by. Especially if they are distracted somehow. As I said my original post on the matter was a public service.

I've never dealt with a peanut allergy, but my daughter has to be gluten free, so  menu's are read and questions are asked before ever ordering. Of course, she checks everything on-line, if possible, before she ever goes to a restaurant.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20830 on: December 31, 2018, 02:47:22 pm »

I've never dealt with a peanut allergy, but my daughter has to be gluten free, so  menu's are read and questions are asked before ever ordering. Of course, she checks everything on-line, if possible, before she ever goes to a restaurant.

Good for her for always asking and checking. Gluten issues are in my wifeís family as well. I think for some reason we also hear more about that issue now than in the past.

ricepig

« Reply #20831 on: December 31, 2018, 02:52:06 pm »

Good for her for always asking and checking. Gluten issues are in my wifeís family as well. I think for some reason we also hear more about that issue now than in the past.

Yeah, no doubt, I was like, "what's wrong"? She was a Jr or Sr in high school before we knew what was causing some issues.

HogPharmer

« Reply #20832 on: December 31, 2018, 02:55:36 pm »

Liberty Bowl is underway. Looks like it should be an exciting game for the 13 fans in attendance.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #20833 on: December 31, 2018, 02:57:24 pm »

Liberty Bowl is underway. Looks like it should be an exciting game for the 13 fans in attendance.

Crowd looks pretty good for a cold rainy day in crap hole Memphis for a game that means nothing. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20834 on: December 31, 2018, 02:58:48 pm »

Haha! Two of those 13 are friends of ours. Had dinner with them last night at Abueloís.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20835 on: December 31, 2018, 03:02:23 pm »

Crowd looks pretty good for a cold rainy day in crap hole Memphis for a game that means nothing. 

Man did we eve have some heavy rain this morning in Memphis. Right now itís not though at least where Iím at north of Wolfchase.

HogPharmer

« Reply #20836 on: December 31, 2018, 03:06:03 pm »

RIP Burt Reynolds

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #20837 on: December 31, 2018, 03:07:28 pm »

Man did we eve have some heavy rain this morning in Memphis. Right now itís not though at least where Iím at north of Wolfchase.

Actually now it's balmy and no rain... great day for football..

TigerHog93

• Band Nerd
LSU Fan Here, first trip to Bud Walton and Fayetteville
« Reply #20838 on: January 12, 2019, 10:08:34 pm »

Just want to say Iím jealous of your Basketball program. Bud Walton is an amazing arena and it really puts our PMAC to shame. It wasnít sold out tonight, but it got very loud during the comeback run. I really wish our fans had 1/2 the passion for basketball that you all have. We have our best team since the 2006 final 4 run and we canít get more than 200 students in the seats. Also our fans over on Tiger Droppings rather talk Baseball than basketball.

Gafford played his tail off tonight and is a special player. Last thing Iíll leave you all with, is that yaíll need to dump Anderson. I said last year on here I wasnít a fan of him. He doesnít really have any structure to his offense and counts on Athleticism a little too much. Reminds me a lot of Johnny Jones. Can recruit well, but canít make adjustments or run a structured offense.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
Re: LSU Fan Here, first trip to Bud Walton and Fayetteville
« Reply #20839 on: January 12, 2019, 10:09:56 pm »

Just want to say Iím jealous of your Basketball program. Bud Walton is an amazing arena and it really puts our PMAC to shame. It wasnít sold out tonight, but it got very loud during the comeback run. I really wish our fans had 1/2 the passion for basketball that you all have. We have our best team since the 2006 final 4 run and we canít get more than 200 students in the seats. Also our fans over on Tiger Droppings rather talk Baseball than basketball.

Gafford played his tail off tonight and is a special player. Last thing Iíll leave you all with, is that yaíll need to dump Anderson. I said last year on here I wasnít a fan of him. He doesnít really have any structure to his offense and counts on Athleticism a little too much. Reminds me a lot of Johnny Jones. Can recruit well, but canít make adjustments or run a structured offense.

Thanks for the kind words. We have a lot of disgruntled and unreasonable fans.

Good luck the rest of the way.

checkraiser88

« Reply #20840 on: January 12, 2019, 10:11:52 pm »

We are a little down around here but ya good game and good win. You guys have a decent little squad this year(About time). How many home losses do you guys have this year btw?

TigerHog93

• Band Nerd
« Reply #20841 on: January 12, 2019, 10:15:46 pm »

We havenít lost at home since last January lol. Will Wade has done a surprisingly well job of protecting home court. Will be interesting to see if that holds against Auburn and Tennessee.

26.2Hog

• Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #20842 on: January 12, 2019, 10:22:41 pm »

Thanks for the kind words. We have a lot of disgruntled and unreasonable fans.
Good luck the rest of the way.

Thanks for the kind words.  We have a lot of disgruntled but reasonable fans that know we have the resources and tradition to more consistently have a top 25 program.

Good luck the rest of the way.   Except when we play you in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #20843 on: January 12, 2019, 10:50:16 pm »

Cma has a lifelong contract here. Just wait till year 18 or 28

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #20844 on: January 12, 2019, 11:01:42 pm »

How much did those three studs cost? 

TigerHog93

• Band Nerd
« Reply #20845 on: January 12, 2019, 11:12:15 pm »

Haha I donít know, but it wouldnít shock me if they get put on probation before Wadeís done.

Although our recruiting class next season is trash

Breems

« Reply #20846 on: January 12, 2019, 11:28:04 pm »

YOU AIN'T NOTHIN' WITHOUT WATERS

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #20847 on: January 13, 2019, 07:36:34 am »

Agree with most everything you said tigerhog, except the Mike is a good recruiter part. I don't consider a coach whose class averages in the 40s a good recruiter

Pigcrazy

• Varsity
« Reply #20848 on: January 13, 2019, 08:07:36 am »

Sorry, you lost st me with ďCan recruit wellĒ. 

Letsroll1200

« Reply #20849 on: January 13, 2019, 08:38:12 am »

We need to get Mike Anderson on the phone telling a shady character in the FBI probe that we can get the kid whatever he wants. The last two home game we got nothing from the guards outside of Jones.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 416 [417] 418   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas