• 393,989 Topics
• 22,234 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 372   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 777394 times)

razorback3072

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Adam Brown- Navy SEAL, Hog Fan, Hero RIP Chief
Re: Question for NWA residents?
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2007, 08:34:15 pm »

who has better schools rogers or bentonville or fayetteville?

if you were relocating to nwa from central ark where would you pick

PM me and I'll give you some info. 

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2007, 08:34:25 pm »

Springdale's West Side.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Lando Calrissian

• I seen one eat a rockin' chair, once.
    • Excelsior News
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2007, 08:34:46 pm »

and Springdale.

Really, you can't go wrong with any 4 of those school systems.

Ghost Writer in the Sty

• Varsity
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2007, 08:36:01 pm »

Look at all the test results.  Fayetteville wins easily. 

Ironhawg

« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2007, 08:36:57 pm »

Bentonville has good schools.  I don't know much about Springdale or Fayetteville.  Rogers has good schools, but they are struggling to keep up with the growth. 

bsking

« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2007, 08:38:49 pm »

springdale, either one is probably the best.  bentonville next.

towneofbeverlyhills

« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2007, 08:41:34 pm »

springdale is best bet....fayetteville used to have the most scholarship kids...best schools in state.....id say bentonville...im a fay alumn,been here 17 years...more conservative,fayetteville is jaaaaacked.

hogblade

• Senior
« Reply #207 on: April 12, 2007, 08:45:31 pm »

Fayetteville or Bentonville... I'd lean towards Fayetteville.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Artist formerly known as Russ Swinegold
« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2007, 08:47:11 pm »

Fayetteville was ranked #797 in the Washinton Post's last rankings of America's top high schools.  It's the 3rd highest ranking for an Arkansas school behind Mills University Studies and Little Rock Central.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

• Artist formerly known as Russ Swinegold
« Reply #209 on: April 12, 2007, 08:49:26 pm »

Mills is 59 and Central is 207.

SwinedMelon

• Hogvillian
  • 1 up
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2007, 08:51:43 pm »

Springdale- best football town- best real estate deals of the big-4. See my wife's website to look around at some houses... give her a call when you need a Realtor. OH- and great schools. Har-Ber is only 1 year old and awesome... like a small college.

http://www.tiffanyharris.com

SwinedMelon

• Hogvillian
  • 1 up
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2007, 08:52:32 pm »

Springdale's west side is a great investment. $$$$

Raiseherback Fan

• Band Nerd
« Reply #212 on: April 12, 2007, 08:56:39 pm »

Bentonville. I was raised there, best acadenuc scores (per capita), best facilities, best financing. Not good if you're a kid though. Lots of Big Brother. Cameras will catch anything and everything.

bstreet

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #213 on: April 12, 2007, 08:56:52 pm »

Both have merit - check out their websites, make a school visit - judge for yourself.

Raiseherback Fan

• Band Nerd
« Reply #214 on: April 12, 2007, 08:57:31 pm »

ha. academic.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #216 on: April 12, 2007, 09:04:30 pm »

The reason Bentonville's scores are so high is because of the high proportion of high income well educated parents.  It doesn't mean that they have the best schools.  If you want your kids to go to mega schools where they have no sense of community and are just a number and a test score I suggest any in the area.

I would suggest one of the smaller districts as well, and my wife teaches at one of the big boys.  I have already told her when our girls are in Jr. High or Highschool we are moving to the country.

Super Hog

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #217 on: April 12, 2007, 09:04:48 pm »

Bentonville, hands down.

razorback3072

« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2007, 09:05:06 pm »

Check your messages.

MsNuttsandBolts

• Senior
  • Love my Razorbacks!!
« Reply #219 on: April 12, 2007, 09:05:32 pm »

Springdale

slopinhogs

« Reply #220 on: April 12, 2007, 09:06:01 pm »

why do we even have to ask a question like this? :razorback:

Since 1894

• I came to Arkansas because I am a huge "KEYS" Fan!
« Reply #221 on: April 12, 2007, 09:08:15 pm »

All are good.  I think Fayetteville and Bentonville have the best scores (just barely).  All have issues:

Bentonville - One High School with a lot of kids having a lot of money and both parents are working.  Problems are being caused between the "haves and have nots".  More of a drug problem.

Rogers - One High School with growth problems.  Some early signs of hispanic gangs there.

Springdale - Just divided into two High Schools.  SHS is in the older part of part of town and has a greater hispanic population.  The new school (120mm building) is pretty much all anglo.

Fayetteville - One school, the most liberal because of the U of A.  I believe they have a Gay and Lesbian Student organization.

We send our daughter to a college prep. charter school in Farmington.  It specializes in math, science and engineering.  College placement is at 100 %.  It is a public school but you have to pass a test to get in.  They move at a very fast rate and if a scholar has trouble keeping up, they will suggest that they go back to public schools.

Hope this helps.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2007, 09:09:53 pm »

Bentonville is having gang stuff creep up as well.

woooooopig

« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2007, 09:10:04 pm »

Take advice coming from a teacher.........yeah you may have more money in Bentonville. But Fayetteville school district is hands down the best school in this area as far as academics go. Their highschool just got voted into the top 4% highschools in the nation. Their elementary schools are second to none, using every top program/method in every subject. They are on the cutting edge of technology. Owl Creek opened up last fall and every child in the school has a laptop. On top of that, Fayetteville's athletic program in consistently ranked in the top 20 nationally. This is a no brainer if you ask me.

H&D

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2007, 09:10:21 pm »

Alma, trust me the school is worth the commute.  And I just happen to know a good Real Estate Agent......me.

razorback3072

« Reply #225 on: April 12, 2007, 09:19:27 pm »

Bentonville is having gang stuff creep up as well.

All are good.  I think Fayetteville and Bentonville have the best scores (just barely).  All have issues:

Bentonville - One High School with a lot of kids having a lot of money and both parents are working.  Problems are being caused between the "haves and have nots".  More of a drug problem.

Rogers - One High School with growth problems.  Some early signs of hispanic gangs there.

Springdale - Just divided into two High Schools.  SHS is in the older part of part of town and has a greater hispanic population.  The new school (120mm building) is pretty much all anglo.

Fayetteville - One school, the most liberal because of the U of A.  I believe they have a Gay and Lesbian Student organization.

We send our daughter to a college prep. charter school in Farmington.  It specializes in math, science and engineering.  College placement is at 100 %.  It is a public school but you have to pass a test to get in.  They move at a very fast rate and if a scholar has trouble keeping up, they will suggest that they go back to public schools.

Hope this helps.

The gang problem is not "creeping up" in Rogers, it's full blown.  There are issues with gangs everywhere and it's more of an issue than people realize.  It's not just Hispanic gangs either.  Asian, Hispanic, Whites, all of them are around.  The good thing about it though is that the law enforcement community has recognized it a lot earlier than most areas do.  They are still playing catch up but are tackling it head on, especially in Rogers.  What people have a hard time understanding is that when you realize you may have a gang problem in your area, it's too late.

mj4president

« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2007, 09:30:22 pm »

Rogers is building a new High School to be opened in 2008. Rogers will have two of the nicest schools in the state. The one they have now is great. I have lived in Rogers my entire life and I really dont see this gang problem that yall talk about not anymore than anywhere else. Sports wise when they split up I would not go to Rogers because they will stink it up.

PigKahuna

• Hogvillian
« Reply #227 on: April 12, 2007, 09:32:43 pm »

Bentonville schools consistently top the charts in testing, but I think it's the population mix, rather than the school system.

razorback3072

« Reply #228 on: April 12, 2007, 09:37:34 pm »

I have lived in Rogers my entire life and I really dont see this gang problem that yall talk about not anymore than anywhere else.

Trust me, it's an issue and a big one.  If you don't believe it, call Rogers PD and ask to talk to one of the gang task force members.  They will be happy to talk to you about it.

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #229 on: April 12, 2007, 09:37:35 pm »

I have had kids who have graduated from both Fayetteville and Springdale public schools as well as Shiloh Christian ..  all have had good academic programs. Har-Ber in springdale is new, great facilities, and springdale has always supported academics well.  Fayetteville is a bit too liberal for me which is one reason I moved to Springdale.  Some of the outlying schools such as farmington and Prairie Grove which are smaller also have good programs, depends on what your kids want. I dont think you could go wrong with any of the schools mentioned. Rogers and Bentonville have not yet split their high schools but I think both are in the works.  Depending on the ages of your kids (elementary or high school) I would probably pay a lot of attention to what school district they were in in a particular city, that can have a tremendous influence on your decision as to where to locate. 

mj4president

« Reply #230 on: April 12, 2007, 09:47:24 pm »

I have lived in Rogers my entire life and I really dont see this gang problem that yall talk about not anymore than anywhere else.

Trust me, it's an issue and a big one.  If you don't believe it, call Rogers PD and ask to talk to one of the gang task force members.  They will be happy to talk to you about it.

Trust you? I live in and have been here my whole life . I was saying it isnt that bad. Is it growing? YES. Is the city growing? YES. Is it worse than the other big 3? NO! My quality of life hasnt changed for the worse that is all I am saying. You talk like it is L.A.

clemensrules01

« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2007, 09:54:21 pm »

Mills is 59 and Central is 207.
nice try. newsweek ranked central as the 20th best high school in america in 2006.

out of the NWA schools, id choose bentonville with fayetteville second from things ive heard.

PigWig

« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2007, 09:56:01 pm »

Rogers west. I grew up in the Pinnacle area and kids on that side of town will not go to one school older than 8 years old. You also have access to a brand new outdoor mall, several resteraunts, office locations, and a world trade center within a mile radius.

FL_Hog_Fan

• Senior
  • Bobby who?
« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2007, 09:57:11 pm »

I wouldn't live anywhere up there except Fayetteville.  Or more accurately, just outside of Fayetteville.  There is a lot to be said for the smaller districts surrounding Fayetteville, and from deep woods to downtown Fayetteville can be done in about 5 minutes.  The town is just nicer.  The way it has been built up with all their pesky rules for development actually pay off aesthetically. 

There again...I'm a liberal who moved to Florida for work. And what do I know I graduated from FHS...

rabrya

• Varsity
  • Our Time will Come!!!
« Reply #234 on: April 12, 2007, 10:02:49 pm »

don't forget about the smaller school districts like Farmington, Prairie Grove, Pea Ridge, Shiloh Christian, Greenland if you want to stay clear of all the big school issues

ilovepinebluff

• Senior
  • Dancsthing.
« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2007, 10:11:09 pm »

Bentonville is full of rich, arrogant pricks.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2007, 10:14:56 pm »

Bentonville is full of rich, arrogant pricks.

Who are you calling rich?

DrSwineESQ

• Senior
« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2007, 10:15:25 pm »

Fayetteville would be my first pick, the kids score higher.   The other schools are fine, and I think they're improving.  But I wouldn't let my children go anywhere but Fayetteville. 

cubbie

• Senior
  • Scooby Snacks!!!!
« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2007, 10:17:01 pm »

If you want good schools you have to go Fayetteville. First of all most of the kids in the class will speak English not Spanish. I'm not trying to be mean but this is becoming a problem in the other schools, I know a couple of people who have taught at these schools. I have heard from some younger people i know who go to FHS that the kids from New Orleans have caused a few problems. I do know for a fact that if your kids go through FHS they will have an intersting and diverse education.

razorback3072

« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2007, 10:22:34 pm »

Trust you? I live in and have been here my whole life . I was saying it isnt that bad. Is it growing? YES. Is the city growing? YES. Is it worse than the other big 3? NO! My quality of life hasnt changed for the worse that is all I am saying. You talk like it is L.A.

Never said it was LA.  Just said it was a lot bigger problem than people realize.  If your quality of life hasn't changed, then I'm glad.  One of the things people assume with gangs is the South Central LA stereotype.  Most gangs have gotten away from the drive-by mentality and try to maintain a low-key type profile.  The signs are all over though and as someone who works closely with the schools, they are growing at an alarming rate.  And they are spreading to younger and younger kids all the way down to the elementary school level.  A couple of things that has helped Rogers is the "zero tolerance" policy in schools with regards to any type of gang signs, clothing, tatoos, etc.  Also the Rogers PD recognized the issue a lot sooner than most cities do and organized a gang task force that is doing a lot of work in helping keep the problem down. 

cubbie

• Senior
  • Scooby Snacks!!!!
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2007, 10:23:10 pm »

I work in springdale and live in fayetteville. As soon as you cross the line it's like Beverly Hills and South Central. No offense to any one in springdale, there are some nice parts, it's just in the minority now unfortunately.

futurehogdad

• Senior
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2007, 10:23:28 pm »

How old are your kids?

If they play sports it would be wise to see where they fit in the best.  Fayetteville will have a great baseball program for years to come.  Bentonville should have a good football program.  I would look at that as well as academics

clemensrules01

« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2007, 10:25:57 pm »

why are some people acting like hispanic people are a negative? i think diversity is extremely important.

i love central because you can walk down the hallway and see a rich white kid from chenal, a poor white kid, a rich black kid, a 6-6 black kid, a poor black kid, an african kid, a chinese kid, a japanese kid, a hispanic kid, a middle-eastern kid, a native american kid, and a kid from india. 

ive made friendships with different ethnic groups that i never would have been able to otherwise, particularly the middle-eastern and black kids, along with the white kids. i think middle-eastern-born people in america get a bad rap that is undeserved. once you get to know them, they are some of the most intelligent, funny, kind inviduals you will ever meet.

thats my 2 cents on diversity.

cubbie

• Senior
  • Scooby Snacks!!!!
« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2007, 10:31:39 pm »

why are some people acting like hispanic people are a negative? i think diversity is extremely important.

i love central because you can walk down the hallway and see a rich white kid from chenal, a poor white kid, a rich black kid, a 6-6 black kid, a poor black kid, an african kid, a chinese kid, a japanese kid, a hispanic kid, a middle-eastern kid, a native american kid, and a kid from india. 

ive made friendships with different ethnic groups that i never would have been able to otherwise, particularly the middle-eastern and black kids, along with the white kids. i think middle-eastern-born people in america get a bad rap that is undeserved. once you get to know them, they are some of the most intelligent, funny, kind inviduals you will ever meet.

We are talking about it being negative, becasue it has become a problem in our community. This particular group has many postives in our commuity as well, but in our school systems it has effected them in a negative way.

clemensrules01

« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2007, 10:33:34 pm »

We are talking about it being negative, becasue it has become a problem in our community. This particular group has many postives in our commuity as well, but in our school systems it has effected them in a negative way.
yeah i bet. test scores go down so it is negative? learning how to deal with all sorts of people and learning to eliminate racism is more important than the actaap.

NWASooner

« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2007, 10:34:45 pm »

I live in Bentonville, for what it's worth.

Bentonville and Fayetteville both have very solid schools.  The Bentonville district probably has more money, although Fayetteville is OK in that regard.  You couldn't go wrong with either district.

Rogers is hit or miss.  The high school is pretty good but the elementary and middle schools are totally hit or miss.  Some are great and some suck.  Check the stats.

With the second high school in Rogers, the current high school campus will probably become "Rogers West" or something like that.  It'll cover southwest Rogers.

What I don't like about Rogers is the latent racism.  It's all over the place in that city.  When you here someone say "I don't like what Rogers has become," that really means "Where did the white people go?"

That being said, I know people whose kids went to Rogers and people whose kids went to Bentonville and both were very happy.

Back on Bentonville vs. Fayetteville, though.  The main difference is probably the demographic makeup.  My view is that more kids in the Fayetteville district are from Arkansas.  Bentonville is a lot of kids from all over the country.

Just my .02.

cubbie

• Senior
  • Scooby Snacks!!!!
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2007, 10:36:52 pm »

Buddy it's not racism, i dont care what color you are, but yes test scores are down. Teachers are having to spend more time one the same subject to get the point accross. I knew a teacher in springdale and she left the area because of the classroom environment. I had a good friend in High School who was Hispanic, I dont care what you look like, but it is a problem, not trying to be mean it's just the truth.

clemensrules01

« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2007, 10:37:53 pm »

Buddy it's not racism, i dont care what color you are, but yes test scores are down. Teachers are having to spend more time one the same subject to get the point accross. I knew a teacher in springdale and she left the area because of the classroom environment. I had a good friend in High School who was Hispanic, I dont care what you look like, but it is a problem, not trying to be mean it's just the truth.
you're wrong, but thats alright. diversity is a virtue, not a burden.

cubbie

• Senior
  • Scooby Snacks!!!!
« Reply #248 on: April 12, 2007, 10:40:13 pm »

Are you from NWA? Just a question.

TOMMY DAWG 55

• Varsity
« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2007, 10:41:12 pm »

I liked Siloam Springs and Springdale schools the best. :razorback:   

If i had to pick between bentonville-rogers-fayetteville i think i would have to pick "bentonville" school. :razorback:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 10:52:13 pm by TOMMY DAWG 55 »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 372   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas