• 10,058,668 Posts
• 402,657 Topics
• 23,009 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 374 [375] 376 377 378 ... 417   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 1018038 times)

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
Re: TCU---best areas to stay
« Reply #18700 on: July 23, 2016, 12:28:15 pm »

IF I had to live in the DFW metro area I would probably choose Ft. Worth over Dallas depending on my commute to work. I also really like the suburbs north of both. Euless is good also. That's where my wife used to live.

I might suggest Arlington for convenience sake, but Dallas plays the Giants the next day, so hotels may be scarce and expensive. On the other hand, Cowboys/Giants would make for a great weekend.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #18701 on: July 23, 2016, 12:30:31 pm »

I might suggest Arlington for convenience sake, but Dallas plays the Giants the next day, so hotels may be scarce and expensive. On the other hand, Cowboys/Giants would make for a great weekend.

That would be a good trip! Arlington has a ton of hotel rooms but you're right the good one's there will fill up. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

arlhog

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #18702 on: July 23, 2016, 01:03:13 pm »

Hampton inn, southwest fort worth is 125 ish a night.  Not a bad drive to amon carter at all from there.  Just google   Hampton Inn Fort Worth Southwest Cityview.   A lot of places around there to stay beside Hampton inn.   Just what I like when I travel.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18703 on: July 23, 2016, 01:04:49 pm »

Hampton inn, southwest fort worth is 125 ish a night.  Not a bad drive to amon carter at all from there.  Just google   Hampton Inn Fort Worth Southwest Cityview.   A lot of places around there to stay beside Hampton inn.   Just what I like when I travel.

Can't go wrong with 95% of Hilton or Marriott properties.

younghog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Keep em coming
« Reply #18704 on: July 23, 2016, 01:28:32 pm »

Top 10 non tourist eateries in no certain order.

1 Angelos BBQ
2 Cousins BBQ
3 Jakes Burgers
4 Swiss Pastry Shop
5 Los Vaqueros
6 Risky's
7 Uncle Julios
8 Yucatan taco stand
9 Torchy's tacos
10 Fred's Texas

None of these are upscale, just nortmal places to eat that won't be flooded by out of towners.  This is where the locals eat.

if HARD 8 is not on that list..  Something is WRONG

arlhog

• Senior
« Reply #18705 on: July 23, 2016, 01:31:55 pm »

if HARD 8 is not on that list..  Something is WRONG
Hard 8 is really good and worth going to, but there isn't one is fort worth.  There are a ton of great places I didn't put on there.

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #18706 on: July 23, 2016, 02:31:44 pm »

Top 10 non tourist eateries in no certain order.

1 Angelos BBQ
2 Cousins BBQ
3 Jakes Burgers
4 Swiss Pastry Shop
5 Los Vaqueros
6 Risky's
7 Uncle Julios
8 Yucatan taco stand
9 Torchy's tacos
10 Fred's Texas

None of these are upscale, just nortmal places to eat that won't be flooded by out of towners.  This is where the locals eat.
Been to uncle Julio's once good stuff. Thanks for the list. Used to listen to Kidd Craddock show and they always raved about Joe T Garcia's but I have never made it there.

Hard 8 is pretty good, but I wasn't just like blown away, but I went to the one in Stephenville, so maybe there is a difference younghog. I am a BBQ snob though, most places don't meet the standard of what I can pull off my own grills! I figure I am an amateur, you do this for a living, you should be considerably better than me!

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #18707 on: July 23, 2016, 05:29:54 pm »

Wherever you stay visit the Stockyards. 
This

TXArcher

• Varsity
« Reply #18708 on: July 24, 2016, 06:58:22 am »

I'll throw in Burleson, @15-20 minutes south of the stadium area. Nice hotels at the Alsbury exit, Babes dinner house in Old-Town.

tusksincolorado

• You cannot handle my best!
« Reply #18709 on: July 24, 2016, 08:00:23 am »

IF I had to live in the DFW metro area I would probably choose Ft. Worth over Dallas depending on my commute to work. I also really like the suburbs north of both. Euless is good also. That's where my wife used to live.

We lived in Flower Mound for a few years....Kids went to Marcus HS for a little while. Good area to live because it is between the split of the 35s.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18710 on: July 24, 2016, 10:35:50 am »

We lived in Flower Mound for a few years....Kids went to Marcus HS for a little while. Good area to live because it is between the split of the 35s.

I know it and Lewisville well. Spent a lot of time there, at least years ago. I also like Denton.

YtownHog

• Senior
« Reply #18711 on: July 24, 2016, 11:03:50 am »

We got cheap good rooms in Hurst a few years back when the Hogs played the Ags in Arlington.  If my wife and I end up going to this game I think I'll look there again.  It was a nice area and not far from FW either.

BigE_23

« Reply #18712 on: July 24, 2016, 11:20:57 am »

Headed down for TCU game. Where is best area to stay---bars, restaurants, etc

I love in the Mid-Cities area of the metroplex and frequent FW a lot. Save money and stay in the Hurst area...there's a nice Hyatt place on 183 and Precinct Line. About $100 a night and only a 20 minute drive to the stadium. Also nice Hampton and Holiday Inn Express right there on the same street. If you want the downtown FW experience, then stay at the Omni FW.

As for food...my absolute favorite place in FW is a burger joint called Rodeo Goat. Cool vibes and great food.

As for night life...hangout on Houston street in Downtown FW. Sundance Square is fun too...always something going on. Fort Worth kills Dallas when it comes to nightlife IMO.

You can also checkout the historic stockyards for some fun.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #18713 on: July 24, 2016, 11:49:57 am »

If you know for sure you are going and don't mind paying up front I'd use Hotwire. Yes you don't know for sure what hotel you are getting but between their maps star ratings and star ratings on hotels.com you can come pretty close to knowing. Got 4 rooms at a Marriott last year for A&M game for a good 30% diff. It ended up being A&M team hotel which was kind of cool.

soooieman

• Senior
  • Tempo Copter. Coming for YOU!!!!
« Reply #18714 on: July 24, 2016, 11:57:35 am »

I love in the Mid-Cities area of the metroplex and frequent FW a lot. Save money and stay in the Hurst area...there's a nice Hyatt place on 183 and Precinct Line. About $100 a night and only a 20 minute drive to the stadium. Also nice Hampton and Holiday Inn Express right there on the same street. If you want the downtown FW experience, then stay at the Omni FW.

As for food...my absolute favorite place in FW is a burger joint called Rodeo Goat. Cool vibes and great food.

As for night life...hangout on Houston street in Downtown FW. Sundance Square is fun too...always something going on. Fort Worth kills Dallas when it comes to nightlife IMO.

You can also checkout the historic stockyards for some fun.
I would have to agree. I lived in Fort Worth for 5 years and there are so many options. Rodeo Goat is so cool and the food is amazing. Parking is always tough, that's the only issue I have with that place. If you are digging Mexican I would suggest a place called "The Original" Roosevelt ate there many moons ago. It's historic and the best Mexican food I've ever had.

BigBen

• Varsity
Things to do for A&M game?
« Reply #18715 on: July 24, 2016, 12:07:05 pm »

Me and about 8  friends are going down to Dallas for one of our buddies bachelor party. We already have a house rented in Arlington already but interested to hear some places that you have gone Friday night and Saturday night after the game that are a good time.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
Re: Things to do for A&M game?
« Reply #18716 on: July 24, 2016, 12:23:58 pm »

Since its a bachelor party weekend highly recommend strip club Le Bare. If you want to be the hero of the group don't tell the other guys. Just book a VIP table in advance. Very upscale but fun. You will have a unique experience that none of you will ever forget

Hawgey-Davidson

Re: Things to do for A&M game?
« Reply #18717 on: July 24, 2016, 04:01:19 pm »

Since its a bachelor party weekend highly recommend strip club Le Bare. If you want to be the hero of the group don't tell the other guys. Just book a VIP table in advance. Very upscale but fun. You will have a unique experience that none of you will ever forget
In to male strippers?

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #18718 on: July 25, 2016, 08:13:18 am »

Cleburne got several new hotels and is 25 minutes away via the Chisholm Trail Toll Road.

TX HOG

« Reply #18719 on: July 25, 2016, 08:42:47 am »

Think the wife and I will drive up to ftw, hit up a bar and watch the game. Should be lots of purple and red.

dacman22

« Reply #18720 on: July 25, 2016, 08:55:31 am »

Downtown Ft. Worth near Sundance Square

younghog

• Keep em coming
« Reply #18721 on: July 25, 2016, 09:12:36 am »

Been to uncle Julio's once good stuff. Thanks for the list. Used to listen to Kidd Craddock show and they always raved about Joe T Garcia's but I have never made it there.

Hard 8 is pretty good, but I wasn't just like blown away, but I went to the one in Stephenville, so maybe there is a difference younghog. I am a BBQ snob though, most places don't meet the standard of what I can pull off my own grills! I figure I am an amateur, you do this for a living, you should be considerably better than me!

Joe T Garcia is garbage to me, overhyped. Please be advise its basically a 3 menu fixed list and that's it, they have descent/ok Margaritas but I've had better.

HARD 8 is worth a visit and most likely it was the Stephenville location that you visited. As I have never heard anything GREAT about that one..

Hard 8 is really good and worth going to, but there isn't one is fort worth.  There are a ton of great places I didn't put on there.

I feel ya.. ~I really do

GO HOGS
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:30:56 am by younghog »

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #18722 on: July 25, 2016, 09:24:52 am »

Don't be afraid of AirBnB either. We almost exclusively use that now over hotels.

tampahog

A&M ticket availabilty
« Reply #18723 on: July 28, 2016, 10:21:11 am »

Strongly considering making the trip to Dallas for the A&M game.  for those who have been in the past, is there decent ticket availability outside of the game or should I bite the bullet and pre-purchase tickets ?

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
Re: A&M ticket availabilty
« Reply #18724 on: July 28, 2016, 10:58:07 am »

No tickets allowed to be sold on the street. You must go to a ticket outlet located right across the street from the stadium. Depending on the amount of tickets still available is my experience on the cost. Been a couple of times and a $150.00 ticket could be bought for $80.00. Both teams mediocre. Bowl game with K-state  got lucky to get a last minit ticket and cost me like 180 per. Which was face + whatever the maximum they can tack on.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #18725 on: July 28, 2016, 11:03:28 am »

We've been the last two years and are going again this year, but have always bought our tickets in advance through the University.  However, if you're concerned about a sellout, don't be.  There have been plenty of empty seats both years and I'm sure it'll be the same this year.  JerryWorld is just huge.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #18726 on: July 28, 2016, 11:56:31 am »

Just buy in advance, easier and safer. A couple of years ago while in line to get my ticket scanned saw a couple turned away because the tickets they had purchased outside the stadium were fake. Was there for another event earlier this year and they had plain clothes officers busting people for scalping. Don't know if they would bother with a regular season football game but I wouldn't take the chance.

jbcarol

SEC West football: Towns, campuses, traditions, food
« Reply #18727 on: July 29, 2016, 08:21:11 am »

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/758705810969075712

Tuscaloosa, Ala.

​POPULATION: 95,334

ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE

ENROLLMENT: 37,100

STADIUM: Bryant-Denny Stadium (capacity 101,821), built in 1929

ON CAMPUS: Alabama has statues of five of its legendary coaches outside of Bryant-Denny Stadium. Nick Saban already has his likeness attached to one.

AROUND TOWN: The Paul W. Bryant Museum, located on campus. Visitors can pay tribute to Bear Bryant and learn some Crimson Tide football history along the way.

FOODIE? You must eat ribs from Dreamland Bar-B-Que. Be prepared to wait if you visit on a home Saturday.

BEST TAILGATE SPOT: The Quad is the best place to set up shop on sunny Saturdays. Be sure to fill out the necessary permits with the university if you plan to tailgate there.

GAME TRADITIONS: The ďRammer JammerĒ cheer might sound like nonsense to first-time Tuscaloosa visitors...

Auburn, Ala.

POPULATION: 58,582

AUBURN TIGERS

ENROLLMENT: 27,287

STADIUM: Jordan-Hare Stadium (capacity 87,451), built in 1939

ON CAMPUS: Samford Hall with its famed clock tower high above the school. If youíre near there at noon, youíll hear it chime out the Auburn fight song.

AROUND TOWN: The trees at Toomerís Corner. An Alabama fan poisoned them after the Iron Bowl in 2010, taking the rivalry to a new level.

FOODIE? You must try the lemonade at Toomerís Drugs at the corner of College Street and Magnolia Avenue...

Oxford, Miss.

POPULATION: 20,865

OLE MISS REBELS

ENROLLMENT: 23,838

STADIUM: Vaught-Hemingway Stadium (capacity 64,038), built in 1915

ON CAMPUS: A statue of James Meredith, the first black student to attend the school. The integration of Ole Miss in 1962 was an important moment in the civil rights movement.

AROUND TOWN: Rowan Oak, where author William Faulkner lived and wrote. The estate is filled with memorabilia from Faulknerís prolific life.

FOODIE? City Grocery is one of the best restaurants in any city of a comparable size to Oxford. Itís probably the go-to choice if youíre visiting for a weekend.

BEST TAILGATE SPOT: The Grove

Starkville, Miss.

POPULATION: 24,775

MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS

ENROLLMENT: 20,873

STADIUM: Davis Wade Stadium (capacity 61,337), built in 1914

ON CAMPUS: The Drill Field. It serves as the heart of campus and is a great place to see the school in action.

AROUND TOWN: The Sam D. Hamilton Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge, which is full of beautiful nature sights. Itís also a favorite fishing spot among students.

FOODIE? Stromboliís, a pizza joint, can hold its own against anywhere selling pies in SEC country. Itís a popular choice any day of the week.

BEST TAILGATE SPOT: The Junction is broadly thought of as the best place to go. Canít make it? Donít fret. The university has a game day webcam of the area.

GAME TRADITIONS: Constant ringing of cowbells.

Fayetteville, Ark.

POPULATION: 79,960

ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS

ENROLLMENT: 26,754

STADIUM: Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium (capacity 72,000), built in 1938

ON CAMPUS: Old Main, which is the oldest building on the Arkansas campus. Built in 1879, Old Main remains one of the most enduring symbols of the university.

AROUND TOWN: Lake Fayetteville

Baton Rouge, La.

POPULATION: 229,426

LSU TIGERS

ENROLLMENT: 31,527

STADIUM: Tiger Stadium (capacity 102,321), built in 1924

ON CAMPUS: The habitat of LSU mascot Mike the Tiger. Most SEC fans can only see their live mascots on the sidelines on game day. But at LSU, you can pop in and visit Mike whenever.

AROUND TOWN: The Old State Capitol building, which will be appreciated by those who love European architecture. The history of Louisiana is on full display here.

FOODIE? A Poí boy is a must while youíre in town, and a good place to grab one is The Chimes

College Station, Texas

POPULATION: 100,050

TEXAS A&M AGGIES

ENROLLMENT: 57,934

STADIUM: Kyle Field (capacity 102,733), built in 1927

ON CAMPUS: The George Bush Presidential Library and Museum on the west side of campus. No matter your politics, itís an interesting tribute to our 41st president.

AROUND TOWN: The Bonfire Memorial, which serves as a reminder of the 12 people who lost their lives when a bonfire collapsed in 1999 as part of a campus ritual.

FOODIE? Youíve got to try Rudyís Country Store and Bar-B-Q. The brisket is simply to die for.

BEST TAILGATE SPOT: Anywhere around Reed Arena, home to Texas A&M basketball, is a good choice and a guarantee of a good time.

GAME TRADITIONS: The night before every Aggies home game, a Midnight Yell pep rally is held at the schoolís stadium.

Westcoasthog

« Reply #18728 on: July 29, 2016, 02:41:08 pm »

Purchase your tickets through the Razorback Ticket Office.

HAWG MAFIA

• I'm banging this chick^^^^^
Steaks in Little Rock
« Reply #18729 on: July 29, 2016, 04:46:58 pm »

Who has the best?

nichc85

« Reply #18730 on: July 29, 2016, 06:33:54 pm »

Unless you are a season ticket holder or foundation member, the ticket office is saying you won't be able to purchase any tickets to out of state games. That is what said Wednesday. Overwhelming response from those groups means no tickets available to those of us who enjoy seeing other stadiums.

Martygit

• Off to the woods
Re: Steaks in Little Rock
« Reply #18731 on: July 29, 2016, 06:46:00 pm »

Sonny Williams or Does

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18732 on: July 29, 2016, 07:05:42 pm »

Sonny Williams' steaks are overpriced, IMHO. 

Best steak I ever had in central Arkansas was at Sir Loin's Inn back in the day...

ImHogginIt

« Reply #18733 on: July 29, 2016, 07:11:27 pm »

Unless you are a season ticket holder or foundation member, the ticket office is saying you won't be able to purchase any tickets to out of state games. That is what said Wednesday. Overwhelming response from those groups means no tickets available to those of us who enjoy seeing other stadiums.

You can get A&M tickets from the ticket office without being a donor or season ticket holder.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18734 on: July 29, 2016, 07:15:27 pm »

I would also think that in the days/weeks leading up to the game, more tickets will be made available through the ticket office.  Especially if ticket sales have been slow.

yraciv

« Reply #18735 on: July 29, 2016, 07:21:45 pm »

If you are looking for a deal and only 1 or 2 tickets. I have had no problem buying from groups at the game, if you get there to tailgate. There are always people tailgating looking to give away 1 or 2.  I paid $100 for 200 level last year around midfield for a solo.  Any more I'd probably say stubhub or through the Razorbacks. Probably can find better deals on stubhub unless your a big donor.

ricepig

« Reply #18736 on: July 29, 2016, 08:00:41 pm »

Sonny Williams' steaks are overpriced, IMHO. 

Best steak I ever had in central Arkansas was at Sir Loin's Inn back in the day...

Sonny's are good, but they are definitely overpriced.

GolfNut57

« Reply #18737 on: July 29, 2016, 08:04:27 pm »

Saddle Creek in NLR is good. In LR though........my pick would be The Butcher Shop.

Rev. Jerry Falwell

• Keeper O' the Kollection Plate
« Reply #18738 on: July 29, 2016, 08:11:47 pm »

Sir Loins Inn

NT Rev

Martygit

• Off to the woods
« Reply #18739 on: July 29, 2016, 08:46:00 pm »

He didn't ask about price - he asked where the best steaks are - maybe overpriced but the best

BPsTheMan

« Reply #18740 on: July 29, 2016, 08:46:31 pm »

Cafe Risque

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #18741 on: July 29, 2016, 09:49:09 pm »

Really good place over off Cantrell Rd. Never can remember the name though.

TrueBlue

• "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #18742 on: July 29, 2016, 10:17:08 pm »

Arthur's Prime Steakhouse.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #18743 on: July 29, 2016, 10:40:49 pm »

Arthur's Prime Steakhouse.

Supposed to be good. I've never been there.

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #18744 on: July 29, 2016, 11:11:36 pm »

Sonny's are the best.....if that is the question you want answered.

str8volfan

« Reply #18745 on: July 29, 2016, 11:12:34 pm »

western sizzlin.

pigture perfect

« Reply #18746 on: July 29, 2016, 11:48:19 pm »

Riverfront Steakhouse served the best I've had in Little Rock.

rhames

« Reply #18747 on: July 30, 2016, 07:23:49 am »

Unless something has changed you can still get A&M tickets.

ricepig

« Reply #18748 on: July 30, 2016, 07:49:18 am »

Riverfront Steakhouse served the best I've had in Little Rock.

Technically in NLR, haha. Yeah, I've had a good steak there, and at Arthur's, Doe's, and at the Capitol hotel. As far as the overpriced comments, I don't remember too many places where they "weren't", but I still order them!

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18749 on: July 30, 2016, 07:57:04 am »

Technically in NLR, haha. Yeah, I've had a good steak there, and at Arthur's, Doe's, and at the Capitol hotel. As far as the overpriced comments, I don't remember too many places where they "weren't", but I still order them!

Outback's steaks are reasonably priced.  No, they ain't premium, but doggonit, I like 'em a lot.
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 374 [375] 376 377 378 ... 417   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas