• 394,774 Topics
• 22,263 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 ... 378   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 813491 times)

ricepig

Re: How much are NWA hotel prices affecting football attendance?
« Reply #18550 on: October 19, 2017, 07:27:19 pm »

I can't help it if you has the poors.

Yeah, just a poor old dirty farmer......I barely have enough for Jet-A to make it up on Saturday.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #18551 on: October 19, 2017, 07:32:16 pm »

Yeah, just a poor old dirty farmer......I barely have enough for Jet-A to make it up on Saturday.

I'm sure if you offer to carry the bags, they'll let you in the plane.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

« Reply #18552 on: October 19, 2017, 07:33:35 pm »

I'm sure if you offer to carry the bags, they'll let you in the plane.

I'm sure I won't be bringing any bags, heading back home afterwards.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #18553 on: October 20, 2017, 08:21:11 am »

But is that due to losing games or due to those fans just not wanting to deal with the hassles of going to a game. I could go to any game I want, less than an hour drive from FS, but it is still a 5 hr investment of time, MINIMUM. Not worth it to me even if they are undefeated and playing for a 12-0 season.

Five hour investment of time...lol.

How much time have you spent on Hogville?

Drop the Mike

• Varsity
« Reply #18554 on: October 20, 2017, 08:30:26 am »

Ran into this exact issue when trying to book a hotel for the game this weekend. I booked a hotel 3 months ago in Conway because I could not find a decent prices anywhere around Fayetteville.

? Conway?

kaki

• Varsity
« Reply #18555 on: October 20, 2017, 08:39:08 am »

I'd say I average $150/night, I don't ever recall spending $200/night.
Those rates look really attractive compared to the Oxford rates I got for next weekends game.  Made reservations in January at a Courtyard by Mariott, it was within walking distance from stadium so expected higher rate, but it blew me out of the water.  Thank goodness for hotel points program.

buldozer

« Reply #18556 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:06 am »

I predict the hotel rates will be declining soon..... $6 football tickets will force hotels to lower prices and drop the NWA 2 night minimum sooner or later.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #18557 on: October 20, 2017, 09:10:47 am »

Five hour investment of time...lol.

How much time have you spent on Hogville?

A lot, too much, but I am on here while I do other things. On a Sat for the 5 hrs it would take to go to a game I can do many other things AND watch the game.

My comment though was more to the fact that people from farther away have a much larger time investment so at some point they have to decide if it is worth their time, and record is only part of what goes into that decision.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #18558 on: October 20, 2017, 10:19:32 am »

I think the whole argument about fans not going to games because of wins and losses is overblown, and hereís why.

If all I cared about was watching a football game, they show those on TV. No need to go anywhere. Those folks arenít likely to be in RRS in large numbers anyway.

The fans in RRS tend to be there for reasons that include, but are not solely, the outcome of the game. They enjoy the stadium experience. They love tailgating with family and friends. They like to be on campus and revisit old memories. NW Arkansas is a favorite spot. Going to games is a family tradition established over decades. Those people arenít likely to stop going because of a couple of losing seasons.

jst01

« Reply #18559 on: October 20, 2017, 11:09:59 am »

I think the whole argument about fans not going to games because of wins and losses is overblown, and here’s why.

If all I cared about was watching a football game, they show those on TV. No need to go anywhere. Those folks aren’t likely to be in RRS in large numbers anyway.

The fans in RRS tend to be there for reasons that include, but are not solely, the outcome of the game. They enjoy the stadium experience. They love tailgating with family and friends. They like to be on campus and revisit old memories. NW Arkansas is a favorite spot. Going to games is a family tradition established over decades. Those people aren’t likely to stop going because of a couple of losing seasons.

That's correct. Another thing that allows fans to enjoy traveling / going to games is the last couple of years of the economy growth (wage increases, low fuel prices, job growth). All this leads to disposable income by the middle class and allows more and more to buy some tickets and spend the extra dollars to go to NWA for the weekend. Another market bubble like '08 or economy downfall would hit the attendance much harder than a 4 win season IMO.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18560 on: October 20, 2017, 11:13:13 am »

I think the whole argument about fans not going to games because of wins and losses is overblown, and hereís why.

If all I cared about was watching a football game, they show those on TV. No need to go anywhere. Those folks arenít likely to be in RRS in large numbers anyway.

The fans in RRS tend to be there for reasons that include, but are not solely, the outcome of the game. They enjoy the stadium experience. They love tailgating with family and friends. They like to be on campus and revisit old memories. NW Arkansas is a favorite spot. Going to games is a family tradition established over decades. Those people arenít likely to stop going because of a couple of losing seasons.

And I think you are way overstating that aspect of it.  I don't need season tickets to do that nor do I need to do it six or seven times a year.  Once or twice a year with tickets I can buy on Stubhub will suffice and scratch that Fayetteville itch.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #18561 on: October 20, 2017, 11:37:12 am »

A lot, too much, but I am on here while I do other things. On a Sat for the 5 hrs it would take to go to a game I can do many other things AND watch the game.

My comment though was more to the fact that people from farther away have a much larger time investment so at some point they have to decide if it is worth their time, and record is only part of what goes into that decision.

I get it, you're an hour away and don't want to spend 5 hours going to a game.  Sure seems like you have a strong opinion, though, for someone that doesn't care to go to many games.

I live in Houston and would love to go to more games (daughter is a senior at UA).  Different folks have different priorities and obligations.

I will be at the MSU game, though, and am looking forward to it!

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #18562 on: October 20, 2017, 11:47:13 am »

I get it, you're an hour away and don't want to spend 5 hours going to a game.  Sure seems like you have a strong opinion, though, for someone that doesn't care to go to many games.

I live in Houston and would love to go to more games (daughter is a senior at UA).  Different folks have different priorities and obligations.

My goal is to relocate to NW Arkansas in three years. If Iím able to do that, my next step will be to have season tickets for football, baseball, and basketball.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #18563 on: October 20, 2017, 12:33:24 pm »

My goal is to relocate to NW Arkansas in three years. If Iím able to do that, my next step will be to have season tickets for football, baseball, and basketball.

Ditto, same here... looking so forward to it.... WPS!!!

hobhog

« Reply #18564 on: October 20, 2017, 02:37:37 pm »

I'm sure I won't be bringing any bags, heading back home afterwards.

Weather? they say it will come later, but I sure wouldn't want to fly if that front hits at halftime....

ricepig

« Reply #18565 on: October 20, 2017, 02:45:56 pm »

Weather? they say it will come later, but I sure wouldn't want to fly if that front hits at halftime....

It's hitting about 11 according to my pilot,  it won't be the first time we've waited a bit, or flew around a storm.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18566 on: October 20, 2017, 02:51:35 pm »

I am saying that time is only one part of it. This discussion has been had many times, at this point in my life I have other things I would rather do on a Sat. When my oldest was 6-7-8 years old we went to a ton of games ( never had season tickets though ). Then when our youngest got to that age it became harder to do because the older one was starting to have school events and athletic games of his own.

I do know many people with season tickets, and it seems that the games themselves are only a minor part of why they have season tickets, as Wilson also pointed out. If it were just about going to games tickets can almost always be had for much cheaper and on short notice so you only have to buy tickets to the games you want to go to.

jvanhorn

« Reply #18567 on: October 20, 2017, 03:00:49 pm »

Maybe its just me, but Clarksville, Russellville, Morrilton and Conway don't see that far away and Russellville and Conway have some excellent places to eat.

jvanhorn

« Reply #18568 on: October 20, 2017, 03:03:34 pm »

I have partial season tickets to the Kansas City Royals.  You spend a week up there and you are looking at 800-900 dollars at least for a motel..  The tickets are only about 175-200 dollars.  St. Louis is even more expensive.

ricepig

« Reply #18569 on: October 20, 2017, 03:05:27 pm »

Maybe its just me, but Clarksville, Russellville, Morrilton and Conway don't see that far away and Russellville and Conway have some excellent places to eat.

If I can drive that far, I could drive home, haha. As has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, you can always find a room in Bentonville/Rogers for one night and it will cheaper. Now, obviously, you needed to have done a little planning with the Craft Fair going on.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18570 on: October 20, 2017, 03:08:00 pm »

I talked to a starter on the 1979 Orange Bowl team today.  According to him, they are being honored or having some sort of reunion this weekend.  He decided not to go because he figured that it was going to cost him a minimum $1,200 to go for the weekend.

Rayzback

« Reply #18571 on: October 20, 2017, 03:13:02 pm »

My goal is to relocate to NW Arkansas in three years. If I’m able to do that, my next step will be to have season tickets for football, baseball, and basketball.

I've did season tickets for Football, Basketball, and caught a few Baseball games one year.  That's dedicating a lot of time.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18572 on: October 20, 2017, 03:18:32 pm »

I talked to a starter on the 1979 Orange Bowl team today.  According to him, they are being honored or having some sort of reunion this weekend.  He decided not to go because he figured that it was going to cost him a minimum $1,200 to go for the weekend.

People can go for pretty much whatever they are willing to pay. One does not HAVE to stay over night, but for that one has to be willing to drive X hours after a game that is going to end around 10ish. One does not have to spend a lot on food, but they have to plan ahead and either pack a couple meals or eat cheap.

I could go to the game with my son for $12 ( two $6 tickets off stub hub ) and the cost of gas from FS and back. Eat at home before we go. But I know other people from FS who spent who knows what on season tickets, will be there tailgating as early as possible, will cook $300 worth of food, drink who knows how much beer and soda and are then spending the night and then going somewhere for a late breakfast Sunday morning before heading home. They will spend close to $1k up there this weekend.

ricepig

« Reply #18573 on: October 20, 2017, 03:40:29 pm »

So, did he play for OU or Nebraska?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Orange_Bowl

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18574 on: October 20, 2017, 03:42:22 pm »

sickboy

« Reply #18575 on: October 20, 2017, 03:46:57 pm »

My boys love those, I doubt NWA  has the needed population to swing one.

I can't get a grasp on their location choices. They have places like Fishers, Indiana and Centennial, Colorado and Webster, Texas... but no Los Angeles County or Orange County locations where golf is huge.

Seems like they aren't setting up based on population numbers. Maybe it's based on golf courses and local competition.

jst01

« Reply #18576 on: October 20, 2017, 03:47:49 pm »

People can go for pretty much whatever they are willing to pay.

Yep. I know some people that come to game weekends that make enough $$$ to pay BB's annual salary, yet they eat dinner at Foghorns and stay at the Marriot.  I also know some that don't make six figures yet they come and throw down, rack up a $600 bill at Theos after the game and stay in the embassy for several nights. Quality of life is different for everyone.

jst01

« Reply #18577 on: October 20, 2017, 03:48:41 pm »

I can't get a grasp on their location choices. They have places like Fishers, Indiana and Centennial, Colorado and Webster, Texas... but no Los Angeles County or Orange County locations where golf is huge.

Seems like they aren't setting up based on population numbers. Maybe it's based on golf courses and local competition.

Is it franchised? or all corporate owned?

hobhog

« Reply #18578 on: October 20, 2017, 04:05:06 pm »

Honoring his team and basketball Hogs. With parachuters delivering game ball on nice fall night. Will be good time.

ricepig

« Reply #18579 on: October 20, 2017, 04:15:40 pm »

I really haven't paid much attention to their locations, the only two I've been to are in KC  and Chicago areas.

JaketheSnake

« Reply #18580 on: October 20, 2017, 08:05:55 pm »

Embassy Suites has a 2 Room suite with king bed and pullout tmrw night for 269.  Busiest weekend of the fall with craf fair and hog game?  Is there a better or more expensive place?

HogFaninMemphis

• Hogvillian
  • "Introibo ad altare Dei" -Psalm 42 (43)
Where are you sitting in Oxford?
« Reply #18581 on: October 26, 2017, 03:07:01 pm »

I'm looking at making the drive south from Memphis to see the Hogs play Saturday.
Who's going, and where are you sitting? Tickets are so cheap!

HogFaninMemphis

• Hogvillian
  • "Introibo ad altare Dei" -Psalm 42 (43)
Re: Where are you sitting in Oxford?
« Reply #18582 on: October 26, 2017, 03:16:53 pm »

Maybe more generically, where is the visitors section?

isavedjazz

« Reply #18583 on: October 26, 2017, 03:31:13 pm »

no price is worth going to witness us lose to dumpster fire 2nd string qb led team that is about to receive the death penalty

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #18584 on: October 26, 2017, 03:31:59 pm »

no price is worth going to witness us lose to dumpster fire 2nd string qb led team that is about to receive the death penalty
Our team will also be led by a 2nd string qb.  So there's that.

Wisco Pig

« Reply #18585 on: October 26, 2017, 03:32:23 pm »

Maybe more generically, where is the visitors section?

I checked a couple of links, and it looks like the visitors' sections are K, S, S1, and maybe the top of S11.

I'm going to the game but using a UM professor's season tickets, so I have no idea where they are within Vaught-Hemingway.

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #18586 on: October 26, 2017, 03:34:34 pm »

If I were you, Iíd just go down to Oxford, find some friends in the Grove and sit there all day while watching the, ahem, talent that is walking around. The only way I would think about going into that game is if the tickets came free with a bowl of soup and an ugly hat.

Boarsnest

« Reply #18587 on: October 26, 2017, 05:31:27 pm »

At our house on Lake Enid about 18 miles from the mighty battle. If the wind allows we will be crappie fishing on Grenada Lake at game time! Lol!

tangman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18588 on: October 26, 2017, 06:13:09 pm »

Section R, wherever that is. Will dress very warm.

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #18589 on: October 26, 2017, 06:34:39 pm »

Out.  Sitting this one out.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In honor of the Hog bats.BIG KNOCK, baby BIG KNOCK
« Reply #18590 on: October 26, 2017, 06:39:02 pm »

the Sky Box on the 50 yard line in Texarkana

swineology

« Reply #18591 on: October 26, 2017, 07:01:21 pm »

In my recliner on the Hill.

>:(

rljjr

« Reply #18592 on: October 26, 2017, 07:15:28 pm »

In my recliner on the Hill.

>:(

"Lazy Boy?"

"No, I just can't afford the gas."

Bkhardicars

• Varsity
« Reply #18593 on: October 26, 2017, 08:43:51 pm »

In the man cave.

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #18594 on: October 26, 2017, 09:14:48 pm »

I'm looking at making the drive south from Memphis to see the Hogs play Saturday.
Who's going, and where are you sitting? Tickets are so cheap!
Nobody wants to pay for steak and get served bologna

GTOWNHOG

« Reply #18595 on: October 26, 2017, 09:55:16 pm »

Drove to Fayetteville to the Auburn game last week.  Driving back to Fayetteville for the Coastal Carolina game next week. It's 680 miles round trip.  So, I will be sitting in my living room in front of my HDTV to watch this one.  Even though Oxford is about 65 miles from my house... At least I will be able to cook some burgers on my grill... :)

DoubleReedHawgCaller

« Reply #18596 on: October 26, 2017, 10:02:14 pm »

You're right. Had my ole miss buddy call me a few minutes ago wanting to know if I wanted his tickets. I told him ain't no way I was going to watch that train wreck.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #18597 on: October 26, 2017, 10:05:18 pm »

Usually visitors are in S, R, Q, and the north end zone.

Tick Hog

« Reply #18598 on: October 26, 2017, 10:08:23 pm »

Weíre sitting in S1

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #18599 on: October 26, 2017, 10:19:09 pm »

This game is like watching to see which state wins the ugly ms america crown.
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 ... 378   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas