• 9,887,408 Posts
• 398,304 Topics
• 22,810 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 ... 401   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 940097 times)

Dark Helmet Hog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
Re: Best steak in NWA
« Reply #15500 on: March 11, 2015, 08:54:30 pm »

We can debate steak all day, but Does on Dickson has the BEST wait staff. Period. And it's not even close.

Great "scenery" + drinks + good steak = hard to beat.

pigbacon

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #15501 on: March 12, 2015, 09:55:56 pm »

Wasn't impressed at all with Fayetteville Doe's. The original in Greenville, MS is the best steak I've had, anywhere, hands down.

Mister B's is the best I've had in NWA.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

DZ

« Reply #15502 on: March 12, 2015, 10:54:10 pm »

had a 30 something day aged ribeye at Theo's a few months back that was the best Ive had.. Doe's to me is a waste of a good chunk of meat if you dont so much as even put salt and pepper on it..very bland... I wont go there again unless someone else is buying.. and even then i'll bring my own seasoning and ask them to rub a little on before cooking..

RazorChuck

« Reply #15503 on: March 13, 2015, 07:59:32 am »

If I have to put salt and pepper on my steak, I'll just throw it in the trash.
Good steak doesn't have that on it, because it has flavor all its own.
The best steak in NWA is at my house and the price is very reasonable,(for me),
none of you could afford it.

PorkRinds

« Reply #15504 on: March 13, 2015, 08:27:27 am »

We can debate steak all day, but Does on Dickson has the BEST wait staff. Period. And it's not even close.

Great "scenery" + drinks + good steak = hard to beat.

I don't care if the chick serving my steak weighs 350 and has buck teeth as long as it's dry aged and cooked to a perfect medium rare.

earshot

« Reply #15505 on: March 13, 2015, 08:45:07 am »

Doe's to me is a waste of a good chunk of meat if you dont so much as even put salt and pepper on it..very bland... I wont go there again unless someone else is buying.. and even then i'll bring my own seasoning and ask them to rub a little on before cooking..

You probably want it well done also. ;D

Salt is all you need for a premium cut of meat. Save all the seasoning for Sirloin and bad cuts of meat. As a matter of fact that is how BBQ came about. Poor folks could only afford the worst cuts and had to doctor them up to make them tender and flavorful.

/sarcasm on

« Reply #15506 on: March 13, 2015, 08:53:21 am »

I've never eaten at the doe's in Fayetteville, but every steak I've eaten at doe's is better than any steak I've eaten at Ruth's Chris.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #15507 on: March 13, 2015, 09:24:59 am »

I've eaten at both Does and Ruth's Chris many times. They are each good in their own certain way. If you are wanting a romantic night out, I go with RC. If you are going out for a nice dinner with a bunch of friends or family, I usually do Does because it is more casual.

DZ

« Reply #15508 on: March 13, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »

You probably want it well done also. ;D

Salt is all you need for a premium cut of meat. Save all the seasoning for Sirloin and bad cuts of meat. As a matter of fact that is how BBQ came about. Poor folks could only afford the worst cuts and had to doctor them up to make them tender and flavorful.
negative on the well done. to each their own. if you want the only restaurant in town that doesnt do jack to their steak but throw it in the fire, then doe's is for you.. :)

jkstock04

« Reply #15509 on: March 13, 2015, 04:48:16 pm »

Mr B's
Fred's Hickory Inn
Ruth's Chris

All are consistently better

Bordino's
Herman's
Doe's

Would be my next level of good ones

Other than that I'm cooking it at home
I didn't know Freds was still open? For some reason I thought it had shut down?

I went there once probably 4 or 5 years back...best steak I have ever had in my life hands down. The fixings and service were well above average as well.

HSVhogfan2

• Eternal Hogvillian Hero
« Reply #15510 on: March 13, 2015, 05:38:46 pm »

James at the Mill has a filet that they dump on some kind of fried mac and cheese. It is outstanding. Better get an app and desert though if you don't want to go home hungry. They say it's 8 oz. I wish my wife used those same measurements.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #15511 on: March 14, 2015, 01:28:40 pm »

Doesn't matter what walmart you're at, all the meat comes prepackaged from the same place. 

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #15512 on: March 14, 2015, 01:31:12 pm »

Sams club steaks are top notch.  Wal Mart has two qualities,  the ones in black are not bad.   Not all the neighborhood markets have local butchers.

Pretty sure the 'butchers' are just opening the choice steaks and laying them in a case.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #15513 on: March 15, 2015, 02:47:04 am »

Man, I honestly read this thread having lived in NWA now for almost 7 years and have no clue who or what Mr. B's is. Where can I try? My favorites are Ruth's, Does, and Herman's in that order.

aristotle

« Reply #15514 on: March 15, 2015, 08:32:35 am »

Man, I honestly read this thread having lived in NWA now for almost 7 years and have no clue who or what Mr. B's is. Where can I try? My favorites are Ruth's, Does, and Herman's in that order.

http://misterbsteakhouse.net/

It's up there with Doe's and Ruths Chris.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

« Reply #15515 on: March 15, 2015, 10:52:20 am »

Overrated but underpriced.

husker71

« Reply #15516 on: March 16, 2015, 04:37:04 pm »

I really like a good Porterhouse but hardly see one on a menu anymore.

PEtrader

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #15517 on: March 16, 2015, 08:00:15 pm »

I had the Cajun ribeye at Market Place last night,  and I would have to say it is up there.   I had a side of bernaise with it.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #15518 on: March 16, 2015, 08:01:53 pm »

Mothers Daughter's Restaurant.... (Oldtimers will remember it...)

/sarcasm on

« Reply #15519 on: March 17, 2015, 09:58:00 am »

I had the Cajun ribeye at Market Place last night,  and I would have to say it is up there.   I had a side of bernaise with it.
The cajun ribeye there is one of my favourite  steaks, but it is not on the level of the others.  However, its much more affordable than a steak at Doe's or Ruth's Chris.

rcopela

« Reply #15520 on: March 19, 2015, 11:33:11 am »

Mothers Daughter's Restaurant.... (Oldtimers will remember it...)
Farmers Daughter?

Hognam Style

• Bench Warmer
  • War Memorial games are for the FANS
SEC relations
« Reply #15521 on: March 24, 2015, 09:52:58 pm »

Ok, I'm a 22 year old senior at the UofA. I usually follow this page for injury gossip and irrational opinions but I'm here tonight to complain about the injustice toward hog fans. We are on a spring break trip and went to get into a restaurant which requires a $16 cover. We had one guy who was only 18 and they took his valid drivers liscnse from him and kicked us legal guys out. We were all wearing razorback attire.. Conspiracy? I'll hang up and listen

lrar4hogs

• Varsity
Re: SEC relations
« Reply #15522 on: March 24, 2015, 10:58:48 pm »

No conspiracy.  Most other sec teams and fans of sec teams simply don't like Arkansans or fans of arkansas.  Sec fans will be nice to your face, but wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.  That's just the impression I get.  While I was in Houston for the bowl game I went with some friends to the Ragin Cajun restaurant.  The food was great and almost everybody was great, but the owner made his rounds with all the patrons and shook hands except the five or so razorback fans in our little group.  A local came over and apologized, but I didn't care at the time because I had plenty of beer and good Cajun food.  It's fine, we'll keep building a Wal- Mart in their backyard. 

Brer Hog

« Reply #15523 on: March 24, 2015, 11:19:42 pm »

Rajun Cajun is a Southwest Louisiana grad.  I am sure the slight was not intentional unless for some reason deserved.  When we prove we belong ... to the SEC, they will respect us.  Don't count on them ever liking us.  Will you be pulling for Kentucky to run the table?  I know that I won't. 

lrar4hogs

• Varsity
« Reply #15524 on: March 25, 2015, 12:42:42 am »

Rajun Cajun is a Southwest Louisiana grad.  I am sure the slight was not intentional unless for some reason deserved.  When we prove we belong ... to the SEC, they will respect us.  Don't count on them ever liking us.  Will you be pulling for Kentucky to run the table?  I know that I won't.
Our group was doing what everyone else was doing, drinking and eating.  Actually we were quiet but the Texas male fan drinking daiquiris was being beyond obnoxious.  I certainly didn't notice any arkansas swag on the walls in the Ragin Cajun, and I saw plenty of other schools especially lsu.  It's fine, the food was good and we beat the hell out of Texas.  Do you know the owner or from the area?

HogWall Jackson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15525 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:12 am »

Our group was doing what everyone else was doing, drinking and eating.  Actually we were quiet but the Texas male fan drinking daiquiris was being beyond obnoxious.  I certainly didn't notice any arkansas swag on the walls in the Ragin Cajun, and I saw plenty of other schools especially lsu.  It's fine, the food was good and we beat the hell out of Texas.  Do you know the owner or from the area?

Just how many Arkansas Fans have brought Memorabilia to the Ragin Cajun? All of that stuff was given to them other than the USL stuff from Lafayette. I have eaten there at both locations for well over 20 years and have always been treated and served well.

twistitup

« Reply #15526 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:35 am »

I did not have SECual relations w that woman

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #15527 on: March 25, 2015, 06:54:20 am »

Ok, I'm a 22 year old senior at the UofA. I usually follow this page for injury gossip and irrational opinions but I'm here tonight to complain about the injustice toward hog fans. We are on a spring break trip and went to get into a restaurant which requires a $16 cover. We had one guy who was only 18 and they took his valid drivers liscnse from him and kicked us legal guys out. We were all wearing razorback attire.. Conspiracy? I'll hang up and listen

With a cover charge and age requirement, I bet the "waitresses" at this "restaurant" have names like Destiny, Cashmere and Serenity.

Jeffcphog

« Reply #15528 on: March 25, 2015, 07:07:14 am »

With a cover charge and age requirement, I bet the "waitresses" at this "restaurant" have names like Destiny, Cashmere and Serenity.

BINGO

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living
« Reply #15529 on: March 25, 2015, 08:36:14 am »

I've only been disrespected for my team by LSU fans and Missouri fans.

LSU is understandable - we've ruined a few good seasons for them and we give them a lot of hell off the field too.

Mizzou isn't understandable but, in my experience, their fans have no class. One of the worst fan bases in the SEC, in my opinion. So what are you going to do?

younghog

• Keep em coming
« Reply #15530 on: March 25, 2015, 09:41:18 am »

Growing up and going to School in Arkansas I often took Spring Break in South Padre or Coastal Texas sometimes Mexico..

Rule 1: Get a STATE ISSUED ID CARD.. with your your school address on it.. After you receive it.. Go up pay the decreased fee and get a replacement card. [Now you have 2]

Rule 2: ONLY USE THAT CARD FOR ANY TYPE OF TRAVEL and or CLUB ENTRANCE.

I travel quite a lot with the family and NEVER do I give my drivers license out even to TSA.. Its always my ID now that I have global entry, I flash that and move on..

Sorry to here about your experience.. Probably just an isolated event..

GO HOGS

lrar4hogs

• Varsity
« Reply #15531 on: March 25, 2015, 10:41:39 am »

Just how many Arkansas Fans have brought Memorabilia to the Ragin Cajun? All of that stuff was given to them other than the USL stuff from Lafayette. I have eaten there at both locations for well over 20 years and have always been treated and served well.
The waiters were actually great.  It's just when the owner walked in and looked our direction and then shook hands with everybody in the building except for our little group.  It was pretty obvious that he was ignoring our table.  His facial expression almost seemed annoyed that we were there in his restaurant.  Oh well, I still had a good time, no sweat off my.....

Brer Hog

« Reply #15532 on: March 25, 2015, 07:15:46 pm »

. No, but I am pretty sure he has adopted LSU, since Tigers in his place are much more common than Cagins'... Probably expected the beat down of Tejas,  after we ended our O-fer against LUS.  Woo Pig!

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #15533 on: March 25, 2015, 07:57:44 pm »

We get the shaft when it comes to broadcast personalities not being versed on our rosters compared to our opponents but I don't think we're hated among SEC fans more than any other team.

Senility

« Reply #15534 on: March 25, 2015, 08:20:50 pm »

You young studs were vying to patronize a  "RESTAURANT" with a $16 cover charge?  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - That's some upscale restaurant.

I'm sorry for your financial disenfranchisement and your politically incorrect prejudicial subjugation. 

Did you, by any chance, ever view the movie, "Porky's"?

HogWall Jackson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15535 on: March 25, 2015, 10:30:46 pm »

. No, but I am pretty sure he has adopted LSU, since Tigers in his place are much more common than Cagins'... Probably expected the beat down of Tejas,  after we ended our O-fer against LUS.  Woo Pig!

I could tell you a story about the Matt Jones Miracle on Markham pass to DeCori Birmingham from one of the largest sports bars on Houston. I was the only Hog Fan in my section of the Bar, may be 55 LSU Fans. I am a larger than average man and I had a friend with me that played with the Jets, he was 6-7 and 385 lbs. Let's just say I had the last laugh that afternoon...

BTW, did the Owner of the Ragin Cajun have his large Boxers on over his pants with the Big Crawfish on them?

oldhawg

« Reply #15536 on: March 26, 2015, 02:28:13 pm »

Wear your rejection like a badge of courage!

redeye

• Go Hogs Go!!!
« Reply #15537 on: March 26, 2015, 02:47:16 pm »

I don't think that fairy tale ending will ever happen.  Our lack of a SEC football title has nothing to do with it and we have nothing to prove.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #15538 on: March 30, 2015, 08:44:35 am »

I don't think that fairy tale ending will ever happen.  Our lack of a SEC football title has nothing to do with it and we have nothing to prove.

Agreed.  I don't really hear stuff like this from younger fans.  I think it's an SWC hangover.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is it football season yet?
« Reply #15539 on: March 30, 2015, 09:04:50 am »

The waiters were actually great.  It's just when the owner walked in and looked our direction and then shook hands with everybody in the building except for our little group.  It was pretty obvious that he was ignoring our table.  His facial expression almost seemed annoyed that we were there in his restaurant.  Oh well, I still had a good time, no sweat off my.....

I had an experience down here in Louisiana that didn't even get that far. Went to Good ol' PoBoys in Deridder, LA wearing my McFadden jersey. Sat down and waited for 15 minutes for someone to even show up to my table to take an order. I looked around and noticed the waitress looking at me while leaning up against the drink counter and talking to someone in a table close by (about minute 10).

At 15 minutes I went ahead and left. Posted my experience on their social media site (direct post) and asked quite a few people in businesses if that was normal down here. They said no and that they wouldn't be eating there anymore. I am stationed at Ft. Polk (the businesses in the area are really dependent on the Soldiers station there to survive) and am quite obviously in the military, if the haircut doesn't give it away all the scars on my face probably do. Good ol' PoBoys is now closed and the building is up for lease. I probably didn't have much to do with it, but couldn't have happened to a better bunch of militant LSU fans.

All I wanted was a fried oyster poboy sammich.

jbcarol

Re: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot
« Reply #15540 on: April 02, 2015, 08:19:26 am »

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 10 hours ago

...Spring footballing it.

My colleague @ESPNRittenberg is still wiping off his fingers. Crash course tonight in how to eat ribs Southern style.

jbcarol

The Ultimate New Orleans Steakhouse Guide
« Reply #15541 on: April 07, 2015, 11:19:30 am »

Brett Anderson @BrettEats  ·  Apr 6

Lent is over, y'all: The Ultimate New Orleans Steakhouse Guide http://bit.ly/1aCtE8v 

New Orleans is understandably famous for seafood. Yet it's hard to think of a city that boasts a greater diversity of steakhouses. New Orleans Creole restaurants are arguably the only restaurant genre with deeper local roots. This is our guide to the 13 best steakhouses in and around New Orleans...

dffhogs

Oct. 3rd at Tn.
« Reply #15542 on: April 12, 2015, 02:43:55 am »

I will be at this game and I hate orange :puke:.  Looking for best place to be close to other RED/WHITE Arkansas fans. I know its hard to do there but what sections do I look to buy? 
Tickets are on sell, What Section do I want?

Please help!!!!!

BPsTheMan

Re: Oct. 3rd at Tn.
« Reply #15543 on: April 12, 2015, 07:41:38 am »

call them and request the Arkansas section of Neyland - it's pretty easy

BPsTheMan

« Reply #15544 on: April 12, 2015, 07:44:44 am »

section A

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #15545 on: April 12, 2015, 08:39:55 am »

I've been to neyland many times. The band sits in A so try to get AA. Those seats aren't too bad if you're not too far up. Neyland is notorious for putting the opponents in the last few rows under the jumbotron in the corner endzone. Terrble seats. I'll be there too, hopefully with a bunch of rowdy backs

BPsTheMan

« Reply #15546 on: April 12, 2015, 08:53:29 am »

I've been to neyland many times. The band sits in A so try to get AA. Those seats aren't too bad if you're not too far up. Neyland is notorious for putting the opponents in the last few rows under the jumbotron in the corner endzone. Terrble seats. I'll be there too, hopefully with a bunch of rowdy backs

yeah I meant A'ish  :D

BPsTheMan

« Reply #15547 on: April 12, 2015, 09:08:13 am »

A'ish

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15548 on: April 12, 2015, 09:16:34 am »

I always get my "away" seats through UA. They're never great seats, but I'm always surrounded by Hog fans.

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #15549 on: April 12, 2015, 09:20:00 am »

I always get my "away" seats through UA. They're never great seats, but I'm always surrounded by Hog fans.
I may try that this year too. Has the university announced what day single game tickets go on sale through them?
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 ... 401   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas