• 9,927,326 Posts
• 399,280 Topics
• 22,891 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 307 [308] 309 310 311 ... 403   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 954011 times)

Hog Fan n Tx

Re: Best Route to Houston from Fayetteville?
« Reply #15350 on: December 26, 2014, 10:08:39 am »

razorfrog

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #15351 on: December 26, 2014, 10:19:28 am »

It may be but unless they've upgraded it to 4 lanes in numerous places it's a slow go from Waldron to Dequeen. Once you get S of Dequeen it's still about 50 minutes to Texarkana.

From Fayetteville, it's about as easy to take US412 to Wagner and go S on US 69 to the Texas State line.. Just be darned aware of the speed limits in the different little towns that dot that route. It's a money maker.
If you go thru Dequeen you dont go thru Texarkana

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15352 on: December 26, 2014, 10:45:06 am »

You guys be safe.

Houston is a TOILET of a city. 

tusksincolorado

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Aniston has nothing on me!
« Reply #15353 on: December 26, 2014, 10:55:05 am »

You guys be safe.

Houston is a TOILET of a city. 

+1 totally agree...

tbhogfan

« Reply #15354 on: December 26, 2014, 11:01:36 am »

I have family in Friendswood, and get to make that magical drive at least once a year.

Be prepared that 59 goes through numerous smaller (and fairly large) towns, so there will be many slowdowns along the way.  It brings you in from the north and NRG stadium is in the southern part of Houston. 

If you have never had the "pleasure" of driving in Houston traffic, you are in for a "treat." 

Although I agree with notshavin', the terms I would use to describe Houston are not appropriate for this forum.

Uncommon

« Reply #15355 on: December 26, 2014, 11:14:18 am »

Drove the non Dallas way last summer.  Wasn't a bad drive.  Plus, by not going through Dallas, you give yourself less stress by not driving with all of the traffic and construction going on.

The only kind of slow stretch in the non Dallas route is in Oklahoma when you go through some of the Ouachita National Forest.  And that stretch is only slow if you get stuck behind a big truck.  Once you hit Texas, the speed limits go up to 80 mph.  So if conditions are good in Oklahoma, it should be approximately the same or if not faster route.

Will warn though that the non Dallas route requires a good GPS/navigator in your car.  If you don't have one or aren't good with navigating, take the Dallas route so you won't waste time getting back on the right track because you missed a turn or two.

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Highway 59 to Houston: Where's the good eats?
« Reply #15356 on: December 26, 2014, 11:24:26 am »

Taking the fam down to Houston. My daughter only eats pasta, my boy eats everything in sight. I figure they'll get hungry right past Texarkana where I don't know anything about the cuisine. Any favorites from amongst the Hogville brethren?

:razorback:

tusksincolorado

« Reply #15357 on: December 26, 2014, 11:50:38 am »

Fly over East Texass?

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15358 on: December 26, 2014, 11:52:55 am »

+1 totally agree...

It's hard for me to find something I don't like about cities.  But it is absolutely #1, the worst big city in America.

Reliant is a beautiful stadium, but outside of that, Houston is flat, hot, muggy, very dangerous and the people are arseholes.

I hope we KILL Texass there and then get the hell out of there.

tusksincolorado

« Reply #15359 on: December 26, 2014, 11:56:33 am »

It's hard for me to find something I don't like about cities.  But it is absolutely #1, the worst big city in America.

Reliant is a beautiful stadium, but outside of that, Houston is flat, hot, muggy, very dangerous and the people are arseholes.

Even though I'm a HUGE CARDINAL FAN...I thought StL would currently hold that title.

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15360 on: December 26, 2014, 12:00:04 pm »

Even though I'm a HUGE CARDINAL FAN...I thought StL would currently hold that title.

St. Louis has some awful areas, but the areas that are great are really great.  It also has a lot of history, tradition and the people are really nice.  The Arch and the Cardinals' stadium alone make it a great city.  Also, their knowledge and love of baseball is really cool. 

Bardicer

• Varsity
« Reply #15361 on: December 26, 2014, 12:09:57 pm »

I take 59 from texarkana going to and from Russellville.  59 will go straight through, although gps will have you take some serious to recent construction.  Speed limit is 75 though so it's a little better driving than in Arkansas. I've been living in the woodlands since May, and have no inclination to drive into Houston proper.  Traffic is horrible, and that's compared to Milwaukee traffic.  Be safe!

Hedgehog79

Re: Highway 59 to Houston: Where's the good eats?
« Reply #15362 on: December 26, 2014, 12:37:05 pm »

Heat up on the engine and your good to go!

tbhogfan

« Reply #15363 on: December 26, 2014, 12:58:13 pm »

Whistle Stop in Tenaha, TX.

tusksincolorado

« Reply #15364 on: December 26, 2014, 01:07:48 pm »

St. Louis has some awful areas, but the areas that are great are really great.  It also has a lot of history, tradition and the people are really nice.  The Arch and the Cardinals' stadium alone make it a great city.  Also, their knowledge and love of baseball is really cool. 

Alright, I will give you a little...West County is ok, and Forrest Park/Zoo is nice. The Card Fans are the best. But inside the 270 loop....just be careful!

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15365 on: December 26, 2014, 01:12:04 pm »

Alright, I will give you a little...West County is ok, and Forrest Park/Zoo is nice. The Card Fans are the best. But inside the 270 loop....just be careful!

Yeah, like Clark in "Vacation", lol.  One of the all-time great movie scenes.

tusksincolorado

« Reply #15366 on: December 26, 2014, 01:14:58 pm »

I take 59 from texarkana going to and from Russellville.  59 will go straight through, although gps will have you take some serious to recent construction.  Speed limit is 75 though so it's a little better driving than in Arkansas. I've been living in the woodlands since May, and have no inclination to drive into Houston proper.  Traffic is horrible, and that's compared to Milwaukee traffic.  Be safe!

Houston traffic is a NIGHTMARE....and I have lived in Simi Valley, Seattle (Bellevue), Dallas (Flower Mound), Chicago (Naperville), and Colorado (Denver-the Early Years), but the ski traffic has been murder so far this season!

HF#1

« Reply #15367 on: December 26, 2014, 01:37:56 pm »

Best explanation I've seen on how to get to Texas, Go west until you smell sh*t, then go south until you are standing in it.

ListenHereMister

« Reply #15368 on: December 26, 2014, 01:45:17 pm »

Jucys burgers in Marshall.

bulldog04

« Reply #15369 on: December 26, 2014, 01:48:32 pm »

Yep it should be New Boston

Hog Fan n Tx

« Reply #15370 on: December 26, 2014, 03:09:50 pm »

I beg to differ with your opinion of Houston.  I love Arkansas but you are just plain wrong about Houston, maybe you have not spent enough time here to see all the good points.  Like any other city it does have some bad areas, but they are more than compensated for by the many great parts.  It does get hot here, but no more so than Arkansas and the winters are much better.

By the way thanks for calling me an arsehole.

Derjen

« Reply #15371 on: December 26, 2014, 03:11:36 pm »

XNA

GolfnHog

• Time for left lane, hammer down, full tilt boogie
« Reply #15372 on: December 26, 2014, 03:14:58 pm »

You're probably right now w/ the advent of IH49 connector, but back when I lived there in the mid 90's Waldron, Mena, Grannis, Dequeen etc... were required slow downs.

termite

« Reply #15373 on: December 26, 2014, 03:51:13 pm »

Fayetteville to Fort Smith then 71/59 to Texarkana then 59 to Houston.  About 50 miles and an hour shorter than through Dallas.  Traffic in Dallas is a bummer.  My wife travels Houston to Ft Smith every month or two.    I live in NWA. My mom was in hospital in Houston for 4 weeks. I found the hwy 71 south to Texarkana then hwy 59 was the best route. Could make trip in 8-8.5 hours. Be careful and go hogs!

dagnamit

« Reply #15374 on: December 26, 2014, 03:58:27 pm »

watch the speed traps

RockyMtnHog

« Reply #15375 on: December 26, 2014, 04:15:37 pm »

Whataburgers are all over Texas and a good burger.

Hou-Hog

« Reply #15376 on: December 26, 2014, 04:16:25 pm »

Not much on 59 until you hit Houston

RockyMtnHog

« Reply #15377 on: December 26, 2014, 04:18:43 pm »

Beware on Hwy 59 of the Texas Rangers.  They like to use unmarked cars and they will be looking for Arkansas license plates.  If you are only doing about 5 mph over the speed limit, they won't touch you.  They are looking for the bigger prizes.

mhuff

« Reply #15378 on: December 26, 2014, 05:09:03 pm »

The last time I went from Shreveport to Houston, I got a speeding ticket in Corrigan, which was my first in 29 years. Watch the speed limits closely because they have no "reduced speed ahead" signs on 59 that I saw. Corrigan and Dibol (spelling?) are the worst! I swore I was never going to Houston again, but, lo and behold, I'm going Monday! Safe travels, everyone! #WPS

It took me two hours to drive through Houston once. I spent a week there one night.

Tried to PM you but your mailbox is full.

AcornHunter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15379 on: December 26, 2014, 05:36:25 pm »

Fort Smith to Ashdown–and the flip-flop–is no fun drive!  There are very few stretches suitable for passing.  If you get hung up behind a slow-mover and have to gouge it to pass on one of those rare stretches, beware of the bear–especially around the Cove area.

For students living in SW Arkansas it’s a much easier, quicker, and SAFER drive to Louisiana Tech rather than to the U of A, and Tech has lenient grade requirements to wave the out of state tuition fee.

Go Hogs and have fun!

mhuff

« Reply #15380 on: December 26, 2014, 05:55:17 pm »

Fayetteville to Fort Smith then 71/59 to Texarkana then 59 to Houston.  About 50 miles and an hour shorter than through Dallas.  Traffic in Dallas is a bummer.  My wife travels Houston to Ft Smith every month or two.

I take 59 everytime..... I have looked at Dallas and actually did it once, but 59 shorter.

stan the man

« Reply #15381 on: December 26, 2014, 06:02:18 pm »

Garmin GPS routes Fayetteville to Ft Smith to 59 and 259 thru mountains and thru Broken Bow   Mountain rd could be slow. We will probably go down 69 thru Dallas. 50 miles longer but same time traveling

GolfnHog

• Time for left lane, hammer down, full tilt boogie
« Reply #15382 on: December 26, 2014, 06:34:10 pm »

Beware on Hwy 59 of the Texas Rangers.  They like to use unmarked cars and they will be looking for Arkansas license plates.  If you are only doing about 5 mph over the speed limit, they won't touch you.  They are looking for the bigger prizes.

Just for clarification the Texas Rangers don't work traffic enforcement unless they are doing a criminal investigation; they will then use a marked Texas Highway Patrol unit to initiate the traffic stop. As a general rule the HP will use only  unmarked cars that belong to supervisors but that's the exception rather than the rule. TxDPS still does traffic enforcement in marked units. Another caveat, with the fuel costs being lower, the aircraft division will certainly work traffic enforcement in conjunction with the HP marked units if traffic flow justifies  that enforcement tool.
Rest assured they don't look for AR plates, they look for those that don't voluntarily comply with the prima facie laws of the state of Texas. You are right in one regard though; they do love to catch the "big fish".
Signed:
Retired Texas Highway Patrol

hoglady

« Reply #15383 on: December 26, 2014, 07:52:45 pm »

I went to my first ballgame in St. Louis for one of the World Series games in 2013. We were there decked out in our Red Sox gear (live long Red Sox fan) and the Cardinal fans were great. Loved Busch Stadium and loved the Budweiser horses. Class act city all the way around for baseball fans.

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15384 on: December 26, 2014, 08:05:19 pm »

I went to my first ballgame in St. Louis for one of the World Series games in 2013. We were there decked out in our Red Sox gear (live long Red Sox fan) and the Cardinal fans were great. Loved Busch Stadium and loved the Budweiser horses. Class act city all the way around for baseball fans.

Awesome.  I was named after Mike Shannon.  Those series' were great, and the fans were one of the main reasons!  Happy for you guys that you broke "the curse" a few years ago.

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15385 on: December 26, 2014, 08:05:45 pm »

I beg to differ with your opinion of Houston.  I love Arkansas but you are just plain wrong about Houston, maybe you have not spent enough time here to see all the good points.  Like any other city it does have some bad areas, but they are more than compensated for by the many great parts.  It does get hot here, but no more so than Arkansas and the winters are much better.

By the way thanks for calling me an arsehole.

Over-generalization on my part, I know.

My apologies.

TeedupHigh

« Reply #15386 on: December 26, 2014, 09:32:21 pm »

They also show a route getting on 59 south of Fort Smith. It looks like it is about 60 miles shorter.

NO, NO, NO! take 540 to I-40 to hwy75 to hwy 69-75 to I-45 I have been on most all routes and from Fayetteville this is the best way period! Don't be fooled!!

stan the man

« Reply #15387 on: December 26, 2014, 09:36:59 pm »

I agree. I take 4 lanes wherever I can. Saves me from road rage following farmers and log trucks. Nothing against either of them. I will usually look to see if time is close and if it is no two laners for this cat

SavoySeamster

« Reply #15388 on: December 26, 2014, 10:11:47 pm »

There ain't any.........

hoglady

« Reply #15389 on: December 26, 2014, 10:27:18 pm »

Be careful in Houston - my daughter got a ticket for going 75 in a 70.
That's just not a ticket that would be written anywhere in Arkansas.

hoglady

« Reply #15390 on: December 26, 2014, 10:33:10 pm »

Awesome.  I was named after Mike Shannon.  Those series' were great, and the fans were one of the main reasons!  Happy for you guys that you broke "the curse" a few years ago.

I wonder if any 2 teams have played each other in the WS more times than the Red Sox and Cardinals?

TheRazorbackGuy

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The Misery Continues....
« Reply #15391 on: December 26, 2014, 11:03:42 pm »

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15392 on: December 26, 2014, 11:16:39 pm »

I wonder if any 2 teams have played each other in the WS more times than the Red Sox and Cardinals?

Good question.  I've been searching and can't find the answer.  I'm pretty sure the Yankees and somebody else may hold that record.  But as far as fans go, their are no more baseball-smart fans than the Red Sox and Cardinal fans, IMO.

GO

« Reply #15393 on: December 27, 2014, 12:12:06 am »

Lufkin has the most choices. Red Lobster, Ralph & Kaocos is really good, Outback, CHilies, Cheddars etc pretty easy to get to. After that nothing really until you get to around Humble area. Then lots of choices.

Sooiepride

• Varsity
  • Touchdown Arkansas! OH MY!!!
« Reply #15394 on: December 27, 2014, 12:51:37 am »

I live in Nacogdoches. We have a really good Italian Food restaurant named Auntie Pastas.  When you are bypassing Nacogdoches, take the highway 21 exit for Douglass. Turn left and go under the highway. Once you go into town and cross the railroad tracks, take a left on Old Tyler Rd.  Auntie Pastas is up on the left about 300' after you get on Old Tyler.  It is in the same building as another restaurant called Clear Springs. Auntie Pastas is in the back of that building.  Once you leave Hwy 59, it's only about a 5 minute drive.

Great Italian food. Great atmosphere. Great service. We eat there all the time. My wife's favorite.

lahawg1

« Reply #15395 on: December 27, 2014, 07:28:25 am »

I enjoy Posados and the wife can't pass one up. They are all over East Texas

http://www.posados.com/locations.asp

BorderPatrol

« Reply #15396 on: December 27, 2014, 07:28:45 am »

Just for clarification the Texas Rangers don't work traffic enforcement unless they are doing a criminal investigation; they will then use a marked Texas Highway Patrol unit to initiate the traffic stop. As a general rule the HP will use only  unmarked cars that belong to supervisors but that's the exception rather than the rule. TxDPS still does traffic enforcement in marked units. Another caveat, with the fuel costs being lower, the aircraft division will certainly work traffic enforcement in conjunction with the HP marked units if traffic flow justifies  that enforcement tool.
Rest assured they don't look for AR plates, they look for those that don't voluntarily comply with the prima facie laws of the state of Texas. You are right in one regard though; they do love to catch the "big fish".
Signed:

Thanks, not sure what that dudes beef was. LOL

bp

jbcarol

Official word is the roof will be closed for the Texas Bowl
« Reply #15397 on: December 27, 2014, 07:37:37 am »

Bret Bielema @BretBielema  ·  20 hours ago
Team on flight to Houston. Official word is the roof will be closed for the game. Great weather guaranteed. #WoooPig

ocsm158

« Reply #15398 on: December 27, 2014, 07:59:45 am »

watch the speed traps

That's a big 10-4 and the red light cameras in Diboll. And you might as well leave your cruise control off. Speed limits resemble a Dow Jones graph.

ocsm158

« Reply #15399 on: December 27, 2014, 08:33:01 am »

Signed:
I travel a lot between Hot Springs Village and Houston to visit friends and family. I was stopped earlier this year coming into Tenaha on 59 by a Texas Highway Patrolman. I was doing 61 in a 55 but the speed limit 1/2 mile away was 75 so I was trying to slow down but I was speeding. When he pulled me over in town he informed me that I also changed lanes in an intersection and my wife was in the back seat sleeping without her seat belt on, both Texas infractions.

When I handed him my license and insurance, I also gave him my CCW permit and he asked if I had my weapon with me and I said I did and told him where it was. He then asked me to come with him to his car. I thought then I was going to be spending the night in the Tenaha jail.

Once in the car he informed me that he was giving me warnings for all three infractions and told me he was very glad to see me carrying my weapon while traveling. He said he cannot count how many people he stops that have a CCW permit but they say they do not have the weapon with them and he said what's the point in getting one if you are not going to carry.

Overall, I have nothing but praise for the trooper. I was very polite after getting pulled over and he treated me with the utmost respect. These people put their lives on the line every day so let me say thank you for your service Mr. GolfnHog. And I try to get slowed down quicker now coming to the towns on 59.

Go hogs, beat Texas!!!
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 307 [308] 309 310 311 ... 403   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas