• 396,158 Topics
• 22,374 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 303 304 305 [306] 307 308 309 ... 388   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 866000 times)

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
Re: I love you Arkansas..!
« Reply #15250 on: July 14, 2015, 08:28:22 pm »

There are VERY few "natural" lakes anywhere in the USA. One beautiful "natural" lake in Arkansas is lake Chicot. Great fishing, boating etc. Horseshoe lake over near West Memfrica is surprisingly nice, although not very popular. Not sure but I believe there is only 1 "natural" lake in The big ole state of Texass too. I`ll take all my beautiful "non natural" lakes all day long!
Caddo Lake in Texas, correct?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #15251 on: July 14, 2015, 08:44:49 pm »

Dallas would kill my spirit.  Nashville is enough like home that I can live here, but this thread gets me homesick every time I click it.  I didn't have much in the 80's besides a tent and a pickup, but that was enough to drive just about every forest road in the Ozark and Ouachita  national forests.  Some of my favorite places:

Barkshed
Sylamore Creek
Richland Creek, Falling Water Creek and the wilderness area
Forks of the Creek Cemetery on Illinois Bayou - please bury me there and call the Hogs
Trigger Gap on the Kings River
Pedastel Rocks
Highway 7 from Russellville to Jasper
Eureka Springs
Blue Spring
Lee Creek
Devils Den
Highway 16 (just about anywhere)
White Rock
Turner's Bend
Ponca to Pruitt
Boxley Valley
Lost Valley
Bat Cave
Rich Mountain
Y Mountain
Cossatot Falls
Little Missouri Falls
Albert Pike
Caddo River (smallies and canoes above DeGray; inner tubes and a floating ice chest full of Bud Lite below the dam)
Mount Ida and crystal hunting
Lake 
Bathhouse Row
Highway 5
Lake Winona
Winona Forest Drive
Gaston's
Rainbow Resort
Lodge Corner mallards
Lake Erling crappie
Saline River bottom whitetails ...

There's no place like home.

Wow great list! We could be twins.  As others have said though some good ones are missing.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #15252 on: July 14, 2015, 09:21:10 pm »

Wow great list! We could be twins.  As others have said though some good ones are missing.

Well okay then ...

Hawksbill Crag
Jerusalem
Cane  Creek
Cecil Cove
Beech Cove
Hurricane Creek
Richland Falls
Snow Ball
Spring River
Mammoth Spring
Hardy
Johnny Cash Childhood home (recently restored)
King Bisquit Blues Festival
Snagging for spoonbill below Dam No. 2 on the Arkansas River
DeValls Bluff Catfish
Oaklawn
Dogwoods
Redbuds
Pig Trail and Red Maples at Homecoming
Fog on Mount Gaither
Mount Nebo
Petit Jean
White River
Lower Buffalo Wilderness
Rush
Buffalo City
Little Red
Mulberry
Piney Creek
Horseshoe Canyon
Kyles Landing
Indian Creek (this place is an unbelievable hike in the Spring)
Hiway 74
Ozone roadside burgers
Clarksville peaches ...

and what I hope is my last meal - Warren tomatoes.

You'll have to fill in the rest.  I'm tired.

clew

• Hogvillian
  • Gulf Coast Arkansawyer from the Bluff
« Reply #15253 on: July 14, 2015, 09:30:21 pm »

And not one single natural lake (in Arkansas) in the whole bunch.  Interesting...
How about some Lake Chicot!!!  That's one of the best, and most overlooked, in the state.  There used to be a great little drive-up burger joint on the west side of the lake.  Anyone know if it's still there?

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15254 on: July 14, 2015, 09:40:39 pm »

How about some Lake Chicot!!!  That's one of the best, and most overlooked, in the state.  There used to be a great little drive-up burger joint on the west side of the lake.  Anyone know if it's still there?
By golly, I stand corrected on Lake Chicot!  Figured it was dammed off.  Merrisach Lake is as far southeast as I've been.

GB-Razorback

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
« Reply #15255 on: July 14, 2015, 10:02:49 pm »

and what I hope is my last meal - Warren tomatoes.

Wow!  My Uncle Mack grew tomatoes in Warren.  I spent a couple of weeks one summer when I was 8 or 9 with two 5 gallon buckets with a rope around my neck yoke-style picking tomatoes.  My aunt Sue would cut massive amounts of cold tomatoes and we would eat them for lunch ever day with the rest of lunch.  Awesome memory!

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #15256 on: July 14, 2015, 10:14:59 pm »

No, it closed years ago. My dad was originally from Lake Village-we ate there a lot when I was a wee lad. Chicot is a great spot for good fishing and chillin' on a party barge. JJ's Cafe and Rhoda's hot tamale joint are the best places there now.

:razorback:

GB-Razorback

• The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
« Reply #15257 on: July 14, 2015, 10:40:07 pm »

I want to thank everyone for sharing.  As someone who spent his time growing up in Hot Springs on the lakes.  Then in Atkins where the Ozarks meet the Arkansas River and the Ozarks, I forget just how much I have enjoyed the rest of the state.  From the water fowl flyways in the east, to the swamps and lowlands of the south to the forest in the west and the Ozarks in the north, Arkansas is truly a natural wonder.

Awesome stories.

hawgrunner

« Reply #15258 on: July 15, 2015, 12:45:25 am »

I pray one day I can get out of this over run Southern California and get back home to NWA. It's been 28 long years. :(

gmarv

« Reply #15259 on: July 15, 2015, 07:02:17 am »

Would have added Talimena Drive, but it's in Oklahoma.
but not if you start in mena

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15260 on: July 15, 2015, 07:56:51 am »

I pray one day I can get out of this over run Southern California and get back home to NWA. It's been 28 long years. :(

I met an elderly woman about 30 years ago at Richland Creek campground who had just moved back from California.  Her large family lived in Snowball and moved to California when she was a child.  She dreamed of going home all her life and finally made it.  She said she had seen many beautiful places but no where was any more beautiful than the Ozarks.  If you've ever been to Snowball you know how she feels. 

You can't see Arkansas from the pavement.

RazorWhacker

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #15261 on: July 15, 2015, 08:12:24 am »

MSN` home page yesterday listed the best lakes in each of the United States. Lake Ouachita got it for Arkansas, and I agree! Table Rock got it for Missouri, but aren't we (Arkansans) so lucky to have access to such beautiful water! Greers Ferry, Bull Shoals, Lake Norfolk, Beaver lake, Lake Degray, Lake Hamilton, and more! We have to be blessed with some of the best/prettiest water in the country! And then the hills/mountains in west/NW Arkansas! Wow! It is truly a hidden Gem! Maybe we can let all the folks that don't know any better stay away, and keep it that way!!!!!

I haven't been to Lake Ouachita enough to argue against it, but I live in Mountain Home now and if it beats Norfork and Bull Shoals it's got to be something.

I went diving/spearfishing on Norfork yesterday and while the water is still a little murky from runoff, there were still places the visibility was 15'. Shot a few Crappie and had supper on the boat watching the sun set. Not sure how many other places you can do that, but I'm not of a mind to go looking for them. I like it right here.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15262 on: July 15, 2015, 08:29:21 am »

I haven't been to Lake Ouachita enough to argue against it, but I live in Mountain Home now and if it beats Norfork and Bull Shoals it's got to be something.

I went diving/spearfishing on Norfork yesterday and while the water is still a little murky from runoff, there were still places the visibility was 15'. Shot a few Crappie and had supper on the boat watching the sun set. Not sure how many other places you can do that, but I'm not of a mind to go looking for them. I like it right here.

Ouachita is better known in Arkansas, and it's a great lake, but Bull Shoals has the clearest water I've ever seen in an inland, man-made lake.  Never been to Norfork but may go soon.  I have to drive to Branson and it's on the way.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15263 on: July 15, 2015, 08:41:14 am »

Ouachita is better known in Arkansas, and it's a great lake, but Bull Shoals has the clearest water I've ever seen in an inland, man-made lake.  Never been to Norfork but may go soon.  I have to drive to Branson and it's on the way.
I've never been on Ouachita, but if it's clearer than Bull Shoals, you wouldn't be able to see it.

HOGGISHABOUTAR

• Varsity
« Reply #15264 on: July 15, 2015, 08:52:30 am »

Believe it or not, it is. It is one of the only lakes around that has freshwater jellyfish, and sponges, due to the clarity, and make up of the water. No building/structures are allowed on the shoreline (except for marinas) I think our next trip over we are going to rent a party barge, and take a volleyball net to set up on one of the many islands available. Damn place is georgous. I think since it is a little farther out than lake Hamilton, and Lake Catherine it kind of gets forgotten.

raj005

• Band Nerd
Travel to Tennessee
« Reply #15265 on: July 20, 2015, 09:39:50 am »

I'm looking at going to Neyland for the first time and I was wondering if any of yall have any advice on places to stay or go while there?  I've never been to Knoxville and am looking forward to exploring the area while covered in red.  Any advice you could offer would be great!  Also, I'm just a few years out of college so $300/night isn't going to fit my travel budget..

See you in Tennessee!  Go Hogs!

ALLVOL

Re: Travel to Tennessee
« Reply #15267 on: July 20, 2015, 01:21:25 pm »

If you can't do 300 a night u better get a room quick and you will not be very close to the stadium.
But you will have fun. Get to the stadium early and take part in all the pregame stuff. Most fans will be nice to you. Sure there maybe a few idiot frat kids like other places. But if you're cool the fans will treat you well.

jbcarol

Re: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot
« Reply #15268 on: July 20, 2015, 02:43:59 pm »

Andy Demetra ‏@GamecockRadio 7h7 hours ago

A sad day here as we say goodbye to an SEC institution: the teardown of the Bojangles across from Williams-Brice.

tatewingo

• Walk-On
« Reply #15269 on: July 20, 2015, 02:45:05 pm »

Try using hotwire or a travel agency like that! I always book my trips that way. Good luck!

raj005

• Band Nerd
« Reply #15270 on: July 20, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »

Thanks for all of the help guys!  I got a room about 5 miles from the stadium for pretty cheap.  I heard there was a shuttle from a shopping center where we can park and the shuttle will get us to the stadium (or close by)?  Hoping that is still the case. 

ALLVOL - I've heard nothing but good things about Knoxville, looking forward to exploring.  If you have any recommendations of places to visit Friday night, that would be great!

Thanks again!  Woo Pig!

CycloneState1028

• Walk-On
SEC Roadtrip to Arkansas
« Reply #15271 on: July 20, 2015, 03:26:10 pm »

Hey guys!

Iowa State grad student here looking to come to Fayetteville for the Auburn game. I wanna experience a new place so figured why not travel seven hours south.

Any recommendations on tailgating, nightlife, etc? How does it all compare to other SEC locations or Midwest sites? What's the weather typically like late October? Thanks guys and Go Hogs! Woo Pig Sooie!

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #15272 on: July 20, 2015, 03:27:37 pm »

I'm looking at going to Neyland for the first time and I was wondering if any of yall have any advice on places to stay or go while there?  I've never been to Knoxville and am looking forward to exploring the area while covered in red.  Any advice you could offer would be great!  Also, I'm just a few years out of college so $300/night isn't going to fit my travel budget..

See you in Tennessee!  Go Hogs!

Stay in Gatlinburg and drive over for the game.  It's not far, less than an hour.  Highly recommend.

BorderPatrol

Re: SEC Roadtrip to Arkansas
« Reply #15273 on: July 20, 2015, 03:33:31 pm »

Try this thread, it might be helpful. Its down in the SEC forum.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=140769.0

bp

Hawgey-Davidson

« Reply #15274 on: July 20, 2015, 03:33:54 pm »

Just come on. Call the Hogs and you will fit right in. Safe travels my friend and welcome to the best message board in the free world!

40YrHogFan

« Reply #15275 on: July 20, 2015, 03:43:56 pm »

Sir:

Local Info: http://www.experiencefayetteville.com/

Tickets: Try the ticket office on line - http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&KEY=&ATCLID=1514050

Lodging:  For places to stay call the Chamber of Commerces in Bentonville (479-273-2841 http://www.bentonvillebellavistachamber.com) and Rogers (479-636-1240   http://www.rogerslowell.com).  Both cities are an easy 20 minutes from Fayetteville and have lots of places to stay.

Dining:   If you like food and drink try Dickson St next to the campus. Lots of places to eat and drink including a few sports bars with multiple big screen TV’s. Doe's has great steaks, Jose's has great Mexican, Powerhouse Grill has good seafood, US Pizza has great pizza and salads. For Italian food Bordino's (pricy) on Dickson St or the Pesto Cafe on North College (the best). BBQ in Fayetteville is generally mediocre but the Whole Hog Cafe in Fiesta Square on North College is excellent. For burgers, Hugo's, on the square downtown (http://hugosfayetteville.com/index.html) is very good. Also Herman’s on North College is legendary for steaks. Catfish Hole has great catfish. If you are into fine dining, Ella's at The Inn at Carnell Hall on campus or James At The Mill (in Johnson just off I-540) are both excellent - top cuisine, large wine list, fine tablecloths, china, etc at about $100 a plate. There is a Ruth Chris Steakhouse in Rogers

Entertainment:     If you are into the arts, the Walton Arts Center on Dickson St has Broadway type plays and dance groups in frequently. Here is the link:  http://www.waltonartscenter.org/

If you like outdoors, there is excellent rainbow trout fishing at the Beaver Dam tailwaters. Here is a guide list: http://www.beaverlake.com/lakerecreation/fishing/#guides    

If you want to play golf, we have several courses and the fees are reasonable. Try http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/golf/trail/

If you like war type airplanes, Fayetteville’s Drake Field has the Arkansas Air Museum (http://www.arkansasairandmilitary.com/)

If you are a sports junkie and like to look at some nice flesh, check out the Razorback women’s swim, gymnastics, and volleyball schedules. They usually have meets the Friday night before football games. Try www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com for a schedule.

If your family is into antiques try Eureka Springs, about 45 miles east. It also has very interesting architecture on display including Thorncrown Chapel, which is world famous. Here is the link: http://www.eurekasprings.org/

If you or your spouse are into art museums, the Walton family has spent about a $1 billion to build a truly world class art museum in Bentonville named the Crystal Bridges Museum. Link:  http://crystalbridges.org/   Admission at this time is free thanks to a $100 million endowment.

When On Campus: Walk around campus and look down - a very unique feature of Arkansas is every single graduate has their name carved into the sidewalks around campus – beginning in the 1870’s, there are over 125,000 names (and counting) stretching over 5 miles.

On Game Day: For game parking I would recommend you park free at the baseball facility (Baum Stadium) and ride the free shuttle bus to and from the game. Otherwise parking is tough.  http://parking.uark.edu/football_rv.pdf

If you want a good meal cheap, on game day the Student Union serves good food dirt cheap. I believe on game day they have a spaghetti lineup that is good. The Union sits on the hill above the stadium. Or nose around the tailgaters, be friendly, and someone will invite you in. Also there are a few “pay to eat” tailgate tents. If you wait until game time to decide to eat, the south end of the stadium has a nice food court on the lower level.

You will have a good time in Fayetteville.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #15276 on: July 20, 2015, 03:52:29 pm »

Sir:

Local Info: http://www.experiencefayetteville.com/

Tickets: Try the ticket office on line - http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&KEY=&ATCLID=1514050

Lodging:  For places to stay call the Chamber of Commerces in Bentonville (479-273-2841 http://www.bentonvillebellavistachamber.com) and Rogers (479-636-1240   http://www.rogerslowell.com).  Both cities are an easy 20 minutes from Fayetteville and have lots of places to stay.

Dining:   If you like food and drink try Dickson St next to the campus. Lots of places to eat and drink including a few sports bars with multiple big screen TV’s. Doe's has great steaks, Jose's has great Mexican, Powerhouse Grill has good seafood, US Pizza has great pizza and salads. For Italian food Bordino's (pricy) on Dickson St or the Pesto Cafe on North College (the best). BBQ in Fayetteville is generally mediocre but the Whole Hog Cafe in Fiesta Square on North College is excellent. For burgers, Hugo's, on the square downtown (http://hugosfayetteville.com/index.html) is very good. Also Herman’s on North College is legendary for steaks. Catfish Hole has great catfish. If you are into fine dining, Ella's at The Inn at Carnell Hall on campus or James At The Mill (in Johnson just off I-540) are both excellent - top cuisine, large wine list, fine tablecloths, china, etc at about $100 a plate. There is a Ruth Chris Steakhouse in Rogers

Entertainment:     If you are into the arts, the Walton Arts Center on Dickson St has Broadway type plays and dance groups in frequently. Here is the link:  http://www.waltonartscenter.org/

If you like outdoors, there is excellent rainbow trout fishing at the Beaver Dam tailwaters. Here is a guide list: http://www.beaverlake.com/lakerecreation/fishing/#guides    

If you want to play golf, we have several courses and the fees are reasonable. Try http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/golf/trail/

If you like war type airplanes, Fayetteville’s Drake Field has the Arkansas Air Museum (http://www.arkansasairandmilitary.com/)

If you are a sports junkie and like to look at some nice flesh, check out the Razorback women’s swim, gymnastics, and volleyball schedules. They usually have meets the Friday night before football games. Try www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com for a schedule.

If your family is into antiques try Eureka Springs, about 45 miles east. It also has very interesting architecture on display including Thorncrown Chapel, which is world famous. Here is the link: http://www.eurekasprings.org/

If you or your spouse are into art museums, the Walton family has spent about a $1 billion to build a truly world class art museum in Bentonville named the Crystal Bridges Museum. Link:  http://crystalbridges.org/   Admission at this time is free thanks to a $100 million endowment.

When On Campus: Walk around campus and look down - a very unique feature of Arkansas is every single graduate has their name carved into the sidewalks around campus – beginning in the 1870’s, there are over 125,000 names (and counting) stretching over 5 miles.

On Game Day: For game parking I would recommend you park free at the baseball facility (Baum Stadium) and ride the free shuttle bus to and from the game. Otherwise parking is tough.  http://parking.uark.edu/football_rv.pdf

If you want a good meal cheap, on game day the Student Union serves good food dirt cheap. I believe on game day they have a spaghetti lineup that is good. The Union sits on the hill above the stadium. Or nose around the tailgaters, be friendly, and someone will invite you in. Also there are a few “pay to eat” tailgate tents. If you wait until game time to decide to eat, the south end of the stadium has a nice food court on the lower level.

You will have a good time in Fayetteville.
All of the above with one slight correction: you will have a GREAT time in Fayetteville!! 8) ;) :D :) ;D

HotlantaHog

« Reply #15277 on: July 20, 2015, 04:56:20 pm »

Any thoughts on likely game time? That is affecting the thinking on where the best place to stay is ...

Looking at the schedule that day, Alabama Georgia looks like the premiere game that will likely be a CBS afternoon game (unless CBS moves to the evening) ... the Tennessee Arkansas game is probably the second most attractive game ... That makes the Arkansas game the probably ESPN night game ...

We have stayed at the Sheraton in Knoxville before, which is nice but expensive... but this time we are going with a big group (about 10) so will probably choose something more affordable to all ...

HotlantaHog

« Reply #15278 on: July 20, 2015, 04:57:36 pm »

By the way, lots of people hate on the Tennessee fans -- but my experience has been they are delightful and friendly. It is a very good trip for Arkansas fans to make.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #15279 on: July 20, 2015, 08:13:33 pm »

By the way, lots of people hate on the Tennessee fans -- but my experience has been they are delightful and friendly. It is a very good trip for Arkansas fans to make.

Try living in tenner and you might change your mind about them!

soooieman

• Senior
  • Tempo Copter. Coming for YOU!!!!
« Reply #15280 on: July 20, 2015, 08:21:50 pm »

I've been to Hogs/Vols in K'ville several times and let me tell you this. They will split up our tickets in 4 areas.. Most of the tickets are in the top corner of the stadium with airplanes just missing your  head.  Bar none, worst seats that we get for road games. I would advise getting tickets there or calling the ticket office early and praying for lower level seats. I believe 90% of lower level tickets are given to players and coaches family.

jkstock04

« Reply #15281 on: July 20, 2015, 08:50:52 pm »

The time of the game is going to depend on where I stay. Honestly if it's a morning game it'll be about pointless for me to go. If it's a night game I'm gonna go and stay in Nashville Friday night.

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #15282 on: July 20, 2015, 10:32:07 pm »

All of the above with one slight correction: you will have a GREAT time in Fayetteville!! 8) ;) :D :) ;D
Another correction. Admission to Crystal Bridges is free thanks to a $20M endowment from the Walmart Foundation. The Walton Family Foundation endowed the operations portion of the museum to the tune of $800M.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #15283 on: July 20, 2015, 10:38:13 pm »

Prepare for the seed of Hog love to grow in your heart, my friend...

hawgrunner

« Reply #15284 on: July 20, 2015, 11:09:26 pm »

I met an elderly woman about 30 years ago at Richland Creek campground who had just moved back from California.  Her large family lived in Snowball and moved to California when she was a child.  She dreamed of going home all her life and finally made it.  She said she had seen many beautiful places but no where was any more beautiful than the Ozarks.  If you've ever been to Snowball you know how she feels. 

Just north in the Harrison area, so I have a good idea.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #15285 on: July 21, 2015, 12:09:08 am »

How did smalls get dragged into this?

Hey, OneTusk, can you pm me that shot of WMS?  "High school stadium" my ass.

That's what I was wonderin'.   ;)   I lived outside the state in St. Louis for 4 years, and I was looking for a way to move back after 1.  I've traveled all over the country, and there's not a better place than Arkansas.  I truly believe that.  I tell everyone I meet that.  I just tell them they don't know what they're missing, and that it's their loss if they don't come here to visit and see how beautiful it is and everything there is to do here.  They look at me like I'm nuts, but I don't care.  Texas always talks about seceding, but you could pretty well put a fence around Arkansas and we could be self sufficient.  Maybe it's the diversity that makes Arkansans so bonded...I dunno.   

The vast majority of people I have met that have been to Arkansas immediately say how nice the people are here.  It's absolutely true, and I'm not sure how to explain that.  It doesn't take much of an effort to be nice, but it sure does make the world a better place. 

There's an inherent pride within the people here that's hard to explain.  And the Hogs have always been a rallying point.  We may never win a NC in my lifetime, but we sure do deserve to.  I really believe that.   

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #15286 on: July 21, 2015, 12:24:31 am »

Snowball...that brings back some memories.  When I was 11 or 12 a buddy of mine and I went to visit his grandfather who lived outside of Mtn. View.  One minute we were swinging into the Sylamore on a bag swing, and the next minute we were being recruited by some local kids to go play in a Little League baseball game against a really huge town.  Fifty-Six.  They were shorthanded, and they were afraid they wouldn't have nine to play.  We showed up and actually had 10. 

Turns out Fifty-Six only had 8, so I ended up playing for them so both teams would have 9!   :)    I'll never forget how nice all of the people were that day.  We were the "big city" kids...from Heber Springs.   ;D   

It's weird the things you remember.  Their center fielder was the player missing, so that was where I played.  They didn't have a fence, and one big kid drilled two balls in the gaps, and I had to chase them clear out into the weeds behind the mowed grass.  I had chigger bites that I think still itch!!  It was worth it though...I'll never forget that.         

pigture perfect

« Reply #15287 on: July 21, 2015, 12:40:48 am »

Holy Smokes! I didn't think anybody else knew where Red Hill was. I am a member of the Red Hill Hunting Club. I've been there 14 years, but the club has been there since 1939. This will probably be our last year, though. We're losing our leases. Very sad. I love that area.
i grew up hunting at Flemings deer camp at Red Hill. I lived in Camden, but stayed at the camp as much as I could. Haven't been back in years, but I think about it every deer season, for that's where I learned to hunt. It had everything.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #15288 on: July 21, 2015, 09:58:38 am »

Born in West Covina California, lived there till I was 9. Moved to Arkansas in 79 because my Grandfather started having health problems. Thought someone had ended my world for about a year+. I will be a Hog/Arkansan till I die even though i have lived in this God forsaken pit called Texass for the last 13 years! God willing I will be back before long!

ALLVOL

« Reply #15289 on: July 21, 2015, 11:17:41 am »

Thanks for all of the help guys!  I got a room about 5 miles from the stadium for pretty cheap.  I heard there was a shuttle from a shopping center where we can park and the shuttle will get us to the stadium (or close by)?  Hoping that is still the case. 

ALLVOL - I've heard nothing but good things about Knoxville, looking forward to exploring.  If you have any recommendations of places to visit Friday night, that would be great!

Thanks again!  Woo Pig!
Not sure where you're staying. But Friday night you can hit what we call the old city. Tons of clubs and places to eat. Market Square is also downtown area and also has a lot of food and places to grab a beer.

ALLVOL

« Reply #15290 on: July 21, 2015, 11:20:19 am »

Market Square has concerts a lot of times too. Just have to check schedule. Both are fun. Our strip has gotten so corporate that it's not as good as it used to be. Fvill has a better strip. The type of locally owned places are now in the old city and market Square area. 

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #15291 on: July 21, 2015, 12:26:19 pm »

such..... great.... stories.... about ARKANSAS..........   thanks to all...

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #15292 on: July 21, 2015, 12:46:19 pm »

Turner's Bend is the Pig Trail crossing over the Mulberry.  Wolf Pen and Oark (correct spelling) are upstream.

Sorry, somehow I missed Turner Bend but felt The Mulberry River needed mentioned by name.  Some of the best canoeing in Arkansas or anywhere for that matter.  Planning a trip next spring with three of my Nephews from out eastern way.  I'm old but thought I'd give it one last go just to show it off.

I know it used to be better but flooding and people  messing with it to get gravel and such has cause parts of it to wash out and/or get clogged up in unnatural places.  It's a scenic river so that stuff is actually illegal but some freaking locals think they own it. 

HOGGISHABOUTAR

• Varsity
« Reply #15293 on: July 21, 2015, 04:13:52 pm »

Snowball...that brings back some memories.  When I was 11 or 12 a buddy of mine and I went to visit his grandfather who lived outside of Mtn. View.  One minute we were swinging into the Sylamore on a bag swing, and the next minute we were being recruited by some local kids to go play in a Little League baseball game against a really huge town.  Fifty-Six.  They were shorthanded, and they were afraid they wouldn't have nine to play.  We showed up and actually had 10. 

Turns out Fifty-Six only had 8, so I ended up playing for them so both teams would have 9!   :)    I'll never forget how nice all of the people were that day.  We were the "big city" kids...from Heber Springs.   ;D   

It's weird the things you remember.  Their center fielder was the player missing, so that was where I played.  They didn't have a fence, and one big kid drilled two balls in the gaps, and I had to chase them clear out into the weeds behind the mowed grass.  I had chigger bites that I think still itch!!  It was worth it though...I'll never forget that.         
Talking about fifty-six brought back some great memories of a camping trip. I don't remember the name of the campgrounds but we had to drive alongside a bluff for a while that dropped down to a beautiful spring fed creek. That sucker was ice cold. We camped in the heat of July but the damn water was so cold it was hard to get in, very refreshing though, and beautiful.

jbcarol

Re: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot
« Reply #15294 on: July 21, 2015, 04:36:05 pm »

Andy Demetra ‏@GamecockRadio 7h7 hours ago

A sad day here as we say goodbye to an SEC institution: the teardown of the Bojangles across from Williams-Brice.

Cecil Hurt ‏@CecilHurt Jul 20

Having been there, I'd say South Carolina should have torn down the stadium and kept the Bojangle's.

HAWG MAFIA

• I'm banging this chick^^^^^
Burgers
« Reply #15295 on: July 21, 2015, 05:24:03 pm »

I know there was a recent thread but I'm posting this anyways. I eaten at Whattaburger (sp), CJ's and Davids in the past two weeks.

David's is a distant third. I actually prefer Fuddruckers more.

JMO

LSUFan

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Global Administrator
« Reply #15296 on: July 21, 2015, 06:02:02 pm »

Big bodied deer in those Piney woods... I remember hunting with my BFF as HS kids on his club down around Fordyce...
Your kids will tell you stories you never knew/heard from them on a deer stand.

My boys and I giggled like little girls one morning on a stand for hours.

We never saw a deer (I wonder why  :) ) but I didn't care.....................memories.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #15297 on: July 21, 2015, 06:14:09 pm »

Your kids will tell you stories you never knew/heard from them on a deer stand.

My boys and I giggled like little girls one morning on a stand for hours.

We never saw a deer (I wonder why  :) ) but I didn't care.....................memories.

No doubt.. My son slept in our shooting house one time. I tried to wake him up when a doe stepped out on us, but he wouldn't wake up... I thought, "Oh boy this is gonna be good"...   BOOM.!.!.!  He still slept like a baby. I shook him and finally got him up. He didn't believe I had shot a deer. We still laugh about that one...

LSUFan

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Global Administrator
Re: Burgers
« Reply #15298 on: July 21, 2015, 06:18:56 pm »

I know there was a recent thread but I'm posting this anyways. I eaten at Whattaburger (sp), CJ's and Davids in the past two weeks.

David's is a distant third. I actually prefer Fuddruckers more.

JMO
BLASPHEMY  >:(

Feltners Whattaburger is the only real burger on the planet!

Ate many of them in my two years at Tech!

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
Re: Burgers
« Reply #15299 on: July 21, 2015, 06:50:47 pm »

Tillamonk Cheddar Burger at Levi's in Rogers is better that any Feltner burger. JMHO.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 305 [306] 307 308 309 ... 388   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas